Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2010-04-29 01:29:15

GammaPaladin
Pilgrim

Ebook? Audiobook?

Is Shadowrise going to be available as an ebook or audiobook any time soon? I resolved a while back to stop buying physical books because my apartment was overflowing, and lately I've been buying audiobooks so that I can listen to them at the gym.

#2 2010-07-20 06:09:55

tattoo79
Pilgrim

Re: Ebook? Audiobook?

the e-book is not available anywhere ,i have decided i will not buy the Hardback or Paperback unless the e-book comes out.the greedy publishers need to get their act together,if the publishers r having problems with Amazon over the pricing of the book,why cant they sell the e-book themselves?

to give an example,panmacmillan are going to sell  City of Ruin  by Mark Charan Newton on 3/12/2010,i will be able to buy it as an ebook ( Adobe Digital Edition) directly from their website.why cant Tad ask his publishers to do the same? i dont understand what the problem is.

#3 2010-07-20 06:39:39

sisterdew
Pilgrim

tattoo79 wrote:

the e-book is not available anywhere ,i have decided i will not buy the Hardback or Paperback unless the e-book comes out.the greedy publishers need to get their act together,if the publishers r having problems with Amazon over the pricing of the book,why cant they sell the e-book themselves?

to give an example,panmacmillan are going to sell  City of Ruin  by Mark Charan Newton on 3/12/2010,i will be able to buy it as an ebook ( Adobe Digital Edition) directly from their website.why cant Tad ask his publishers to do the same? i dont understand what the problem is.

DAW is not Macmillan, but part of the Penguin-group.
Panmacmillan are very good with e-books, Penguin is not there yet.(Penguin works with Kindle, btw, and most books by Tad are available at amazon. the newer ones aren't, as of yet.)

And no author can go and ask for an e-book to be published when he(or the fans) wants it, it's much more complicated than that.

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#4 2010-07-20 07:38:32

tattoo79
Pilgrim

sisterdew wrote:

tattoo79 wrote:

Panmacmillan are very good with e-books, Penguin is not there yet.(Penguin works with Kindle, btw, and most books by Tad are available at amazon. the newer ones aren't, as of yet.)

And no author can go and ask for an e-book to be published when he(or the fans) wants it, it's much more complicated than that.

yeah,i know DAW is with Penguin, i was just giving an example. its not complicated,its about the greedy publishers wanting to make more money.this is one of the reasons e-book piracy is on the rise,no one wants to buy an e-book thats the same or even higher price than a Paperback, so u have people scanning the book ,converting it to diff e-book formats,then uploading it all over the net.if only publishers would agree to a more reasonable pricing for e-books,it would be a win-win situation for all.

#5 2010-07-20 08:02:37

sisterdew
Pilgrim

tattoo79 wrote:

sisterdew wrote:

tattoo79 wrote:

yeah,i know DAW is with Penguin, i was just giving an example. its not complicated,its about the greedy publishers wanting to make more money.this is one of the reasons e-book piracy is on the rise,no one wants to buy an e-book thats the same or even higher price than a Paperback, so u have people scanning the book ,converting it to diff e-book formats,then uploading it all over the net.if only publishers would agree to a more reasonable pricing for e-books,it would be a win-win situation for all.

my 2 cents on "greedy publishers": they ALL lost money in the last years, and if they want to earn money so they can publish new authors that aren't a sure best seller, or keep publishing at all, that's fine with me. The number of newly published authors, especially in fantasy/scifi have been cut back and most publishers stick with what they know will sell. Just take a look at the catalogues for fall 2010, Spring 2011. Not many new names in there.

I agree that prices for e-books should be sensible and lower than paperback-price, and if possible the same for every publisher, but if you'd have followed the Macmillan vs Amazon fight, you'd know that it's just not that easy to say "yeah, make them cheap or I'll get a pirate-copy" .
Publishers are actually struggling for a solution to this.

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#6 2010-07-20 08:27:14

tattoo79
Pilgrim

sisterdew wrote:

tattoo79 wrote:

sisterdew wrote:

my 2 cents on "greedy publishers": they ALL lost money in the last years, and if they want to earn money so they can publish new authors that aren't a sure best seller, or keep publishing at all, that's fine with me. The number of newly published authors, especially in fantasy/scifi have been cut back and most publishers stick with what they know will sell. Just take a look at the catalogues for fall 2010, Spring 2011. Not many new names in there.

I agree that prices for e-books should be sensible and lower than paperback-price, and if possible the same for every publisher, but if you'd have followed the Macmillan vs Amazon fight, you'd know that it's just not that easy to say "yeah, make them cheap or I'll get a pirate-copy" .
Publishers are actually struggling for a solution to this.

well, i dont know abt publishers losing money,doesnt look like it

Here are some 2008 ending-first quarter 2009 results.....(source: Simba Information estimates)

Romance fiction: $1.37 billion in estimated revenue for 2008
Religion/inspirational: $800 million
Mystery: $668 million
Science fiction/fantasy: $551 million
Classic literary fiction: $446 million

* Sales of adult fiction were up 8.9% during the past five years. In that category, general fiction was up 23.3%, graphic novels rose 52.7%, mystery and detective titles were down 12.7%, literary fiction rose 86.1%, historical fiction was up 24.1% and political fiction was up 157.7%.

* In the first quarter this year, adult nonfiction sales were down 8%. Within that category, cooking was up 4.8%, humor rose 8.9%, travel fell 18.7%, business and economics were down 10.1% and biography/autobiography rose 7.5%.

* Fiction has been "pretty much flat" during the first quarter. General fiction was down 3.4%, romance has risen 1.5%, mystery/detective was down 19.8%.

Last edited by tattoo79 (2010-07-20 08:29:55)

#7 2010-07-20 11:45:52

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

tattoo79 wrote:

the greedy publishers need to get their act together,if the publishers r having problems with Amazon over the pricing of the book,why cant they sell the e-book themselves?
its not complicated,its about the greedy publishers wanting to make more money.this is one of the reasons e-book piracy is on the rise,no one wants to buy an e-book thats the same or even higher price than a Paperback, so u have people scanning the book ,converting it to diff e-book formats,then uploading it all over the net.if only publishers would agree to a more reasonable pricing for e-books,it would be a win-win situation for all.

I think you need to be educated a bit more on this subject if you truly believe those are rational things to say. Publishers aren't greedy, and eBooks pricing and distribution the way Amazon (and you) want it is generally really friggin' bad for authors, as royalty payments on hardcovers make up a major part of their income. I could go and write you a long post here explaining it all, but luckily John Scalzi has written so much on the subject I don't need to do any.
* Electronic Editions, or, I Can’t Believe I’ve Not Put This Up Already
* A Quick Note On eBook Pricing and Amazon Hijinx
* Why In Fact Publishing Will Not Go Away Anytime Soon: A Deeply Slanted Play in Three Acts
* John Scalzi Answers Mail, Generically (particularly the "Just to let you know, I won’t buy one of your eBooks unless it’s at [insert desired price here] or less." bit)
* Various & Sundry, 2/14/10

I don't know what Tad's position is on this subject, but I wouldn't be too surprised if he's in complete agreement with Scalzi on most of these matters.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

Board footer