Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-10-01 22:11:37

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Re: The Announcement is Here!

By the gods, it looks awesome!

Just thinking of the possibilities is making all giggly.  Can we build our own little spots there? Can I build Infinity's? And Infinity?

The gameplay sounds intriguing. Lambda Mall looks incredible. Wow. I haven't looked forward to a game this much since they announced Fallout 3.

*happy sigh*

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#52 2008-10-02 08:53:11

Jaime
Pilgrim

All I ask is that there be lots of the Neverending House to explore!

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.

-- Heinlein

#53 2008-10-02 09:39:44

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

wiked wrote:

this would probably require me to get something more high tech then my creaky coffee stained second hand ubuntu laptop

*laughs* Just what I'm thinking! I'll finally be forced to get off dial-up, too.

#54 2008-10-02 11:21:08

cyan
Mantis

I wonder if it will be possible to create a Quiller's Mint in Lambda Mall.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#55 2008-10-02 22:26:47

Karak
Pilgrim

O.M.G. I just read about this on a forum for an old cyberpunk MMO I used to play quite a few years ago. This is going to be awesome. Based on Unreal Engine 3 too! :D I told myself I wasn't going to play MMOs anymore (too addicting, life wasting), but I MUST check this one out when it comes out.

#56 2008-10-03 05:52:33

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

Karak wrote:

O.M.G. I just read about this on a forum for an old cyberpunk MMO I used to play quite a few years ago. This is going to be awesome. Based on Unreal Engine 3 too! :D I told myself I wasn't going to play MMOs anymore (too addicting, life wasting), but I MUST check this one out when it comes out.

If you got back to real life and payed time with your friends, you probably realize that that's much more fun. At that point MMO-gaming goes back to a usual hobby and you shouldn't find yourself addicted to those anymore. At least that's how it is for me.
Hope that's lowering the fear about getting addicted again.

#57 2008-10-03 06:42:51

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

While it's a bit premature to do anything about this yet (we don't know how the server structure will look), we should consider that our community here comes from all over the world, and servers are usually regional.  For example, I play WoW on US servers while living in Europe, and to do that I had to buy a US retail copy of the game and have it mailed to me.  If Otherland is set up similarly, we might want to organize (pick a server) so that we can have a version of this community in-game without leaving anyone out.  It would be really cool if the designers had a more world view about server division, but there might be performance (and possibly language) reasons to divide by continent as others have before.

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#58 2009-05-06 14:42:53

kevb
Pilgrim

***Warning - over excited Noob alert!****

OMG OMG OMG I dug my Otherland books out of the loft only a few weeks ago to re-read and chanced accross an article 30 mins ago on the Otherland MMOG and thought 'surely not'...

This has to be the best news ever!!!!

I cannot wait for this, i wanna play it now!

***End of Nooby out-burst!!!!****

EDIT: Jeez did i really register in 2002 and only submit 3 meesly post - terrible :D  I've got married, had two kids and bought a bloody dog since then :D :D

Last edited by kevb (2009-05-06 14:44:45)

#59 2009-05-07 00:44:51

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome back kevb!

Just wash the blood of the dog and drop by a bit more often to squee along with us. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#60 2009-05-25 17:36:17

astralproxy
Pilgrim

Jaime wrote:

All I ask is that there be lots of the Neverending House to explore!

If you mean the place from the 3rd book, I totally second you!

#61 2009-06-02 15:33:49

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

Is there anything new yet? I totally can't wait for this to get into beta, though I hope they take there time and do not blow the startup.
It'd be really interesting to have valid information how the gameplay is.

#62 2009-08-15 14:08:46

Smokex
Pilgrim

How the game play may work might not even be decided yet. Remember that at the last announcement it was in alpha, 15% complete, 2 years from completion, and game play will be different in each world just like it was in the book. Even if the game play in Lamda Mall and Mars is complete, you would still have to do game play for other areas like Mr. J's, Neverending House, Wind Tunnel World, Mountain of Black Ice, Ancient Egypt, Wonderland, Giant World, Cartoon/Toy World, etc, etc.

#63 2009-09-04 21:06:25

LooloolooIGotSomeApples
Pilgrim

Wow. Sure. Awesome, sooooo cool. But no one here asks the real question : how will I survive until 2010 ?!?! XD
Anyway, it will be nice seeing the characters we've come to love. I kinda miss them since I finished tome 4.. rereading is not quite the same, somehow... :)

DrĂ´les de gens, qui se croient en Attique
Et ne sont nulle part

#64 2009-09-16 19:19:27

Smokex
Pilgrim

I want so badly to see !Xabbu taking to me, making human like facial expressions, in his Baboon sim. :D

Board footer