Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Anything your wanting to see?

#26 2001-06-18 17:16:00

markk
Pilgrim

Re: Anything your wanting to see?

Things I'd Like To See (bsides Marvin Benard getting his on base percentage up to miserable):

Zoomviews of whatever region of the map is the focus of the current story episode.

A flowchart-like structure that details the action of the story with synopses of each episode in the box for the clicking pleasure of newcomers (such a thing could also append helpful info and even pop up views of Matt's excellent artwork).

Shadowmarch "netfeeds" i.e., epigraphs at the beginning of chapters with bits of folklore or "breaking news."  I just loved the netfeeds in Otherland and think the ideas should be used in everything, including shopping lists.

Regular interviews with the Tadmeister, similar to the little dialogue bits appended to Matt's gallery.  They could be little five minute discourses on various arcane subjects and could be done as quicktimes, or even better, animations with Matt's version of Tad in various incarnations.

Easter Eggs.  Why not, everything else on the Internet has got 'em.

The Executive Producer Center Stage. I think Deborah should have a Producer's Corner all her own where she can Wax Eloquent on the very many subjects about which she knows lots.

Dot Races!!  Okay, only kidding. Just wanted to see if you read to the end.

#27 2001-06-18 17:33:00

Gigi
Pilgrim

I agree with most of what Mark has to say (except for the Dot Races bit).  I love the idea of your work being interactive!  And zooming is very cool :)

I am so NOT helpful today...sorry :)

Giggling Lady of Doom

#28 2001-06-19 07:44:00

melvy
Pilgrim

I'd love to see artwork in the index.  You could have all the places, people and things with a little thumbnail that would expand.  That would be awesome. 

Must say though, the site is already looking pretty slick.

Cheers!!
Liam

#29 2001-06-19 08:25:00

melvy
Pilgrim

I'd also like to see other stuff you are doing.  Not necessarily shadowmarch stuff (though I really think it's great).  Some wallpapers would be good too.

If you/ve got any other art on the net, I would be interested to know where I could see it.

Great stuff.

Liam.

#30 2001-06-20 06:05:00

Lorak
Pilgrim

Hi Matt
Just my suggestions:
A picture or two to catch the feeling of every chapter, like the scene of the wyvern hunt or the riders from the line dropping Flint.
And some sketch of a skimmer, just to try to imagine how they could be.
C.
And colors, colors :)

#31 2001-06-20 18:52:00

gmgarrison
Pilgrim

Hello,
This is my first post so please bear with me...

First of all I think that all the art I have seen so far is amazing.  How about this for an idea:  A panaramic view of the hunting party as it first sets out from the castle.
We could catch a glimpse of a slew of characters and set the basic attitude for them.

Just a thought.

#32 2001-06-20 21:42:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Good first post, Dogface.  I like that idea, too.  If Matt hasn't planned to do something like that, maybe I'll commission him to do an extra tapestry-type illustration -- a long one that would have most of the major court characters.

I really do like that.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#33 2001-06-20 21:45:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Mister Markk: I don't know if I can get Deb to put aside all the other crucial Biz Stuff she's doing, but we do have another Deb-authored piece going up in "Behind the Scenes", titled "Countdown".  It'll be up tonight (Wednesday, June 20) sometime.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#34 2001-06-21 09:19:00

Aisling
Pilgrim

Matt,
I think it would be great to see what you imagine Funderling Town to look like.

"An eye for an eye only leads to more blindness." --Margaret Atwood

#35 2001-06-22 01:34:00

sniffel
Pilgrim

Some details on funderling art, like the roof above funderling town or the houses would be great.

the idea of bringing a little interactive-ness into the pictures, as often heard above, is really neat; both the map-approach with touch sensitive popups and zooms and the eyewitness-thingy with retinal afterimages have my full support (cool, so now some anonymous first-poster supports it, lets not waste time ;-)  )
how about some part of the story only told in pictures? like -> fight with the wyvvern as written plus some of the nobility in the background exchanging meaningful glances or -> secret meeting at the sea plus some as of now unmentioned witness ?

btw, i really like your style, but those horses ... is this some shadowmarch-specific race or just your way to draw them? they seem somewhat dali-like spindly, no offense intended, of course.

Festungen schaden im allgemeinen mehr,
als sie nützen.

Ad generum Cereris sine caede et vulnere pauci descendunt reges, et sicca morte tyranni.

[N.Macchiavelli]

#36 2001-06-22 02:53:00

rimses
Pilgrim

i would like to see some landscape artwork,
the battle of coldgray moor example

and of course southmarch castle! cant get enough of towers, citadels, walls

If the subjective character of experience is fully comprehensible only from one point of view, then any shift to greater objectivity-that is, less attachement to a specific viewpoint-does not take us nearer to the real nature of the phenomenon: it takes us farther away from it

-Thomas Nagel, What is it like to be a bat?

#37 2001-06-23 17:43:00

Tanelaard
Pilgrim
Website

Originally posted by Sniffel:
[QB]-> fight with the wyvvern as written plus some of the nobility in the background exchanging meaningful glances ?QB]

Of course, I know, this is the Art topic, but... I really hope the nobility in the background wasn't just exchanging meaningful glances!

"It's me, !Xabbu. But you used to be a monkey."

- Sam Fredericks

#38 2001-06-23 17:49:00

Tanelaard
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, btw, I'd love to see castles. With towers. A lot of towers. And walls. Huge walls. Maybe some guards.

And, could you draw an evil kitten, fangs dripping with blood? Oh, never mind, no real connection to shadowmarch, it's just for the BulletinBoard.

And, finally. I think Funderling Town wouldn't be a good idea. Unless you think you can really catch it. Normaly I think, something wonderfull, hardly imaginable and awe-inspiring shouldn't be drawn, only in your own head.

- Sam Fredericks

#39 2001-06-24 05:35:00

sniffel
Pilgrim

something as complex and intricate as the roof of funderling town can't be depicted, of course. what i was thinking about was a small portion of it to let the viewers get an idea of the direction funderling art is going.

Festungen schaden im allgemeinen mehr,
als sie nützen.

Ad generum Cereris sine caede et vulnere pauci descendunt reges, et sicca morte tyranni.

[N.Macchiavelli]

#40 2001-06-24 05:44:00

Miriamele
Pilgrim

markk wrote:

Shadowmarch "netfeeds" i.e., epigraphs at the beginning of chapters with bits of folklore or "breaking news."  I just loved the netfeeds in Otherland and think the ideas should be used in everything, including shopping lists.

I don't think netfeeds would be appropriate, however I did really love them in Otherland :)

Princess Miriamele Presbyter

#41 2001-06-24 09:26:00

Tanelaard
Pilgrim
Website

Netfeeds in the way as in otherland surely aren't apropriate in a fantasy setting. But what if they would be written in the style of some bard or herald? Maybe it could be used for the "News"section of this page...?

- Sam Fredericks

#42 2001-06-24 19:23:00

markk
Pilgrim

Yes, What Tanelaard Said. Obviously, "Netfeeds," per se, would be inappropriate for a fantasy setting. But I think bits of exposition in the "Shadowmarch Style" would work well. Lots of fantasy stories have similar epigraphs (for example, ahem, TAILCHASER'S SONG).

#43 2001-06-28 04:12:00

Swash
Pilgrim

Ever since i read episode 1, i have been thinking how that tapestry ("For a brief moment they are all tangled together like some fantastical scene from an ancient tapestry")of Kendrick fighting the wyvern would look like. It brought back a lot of memories of a vacation travelling along the Loire (France) and visiting all those beautiful castles with very large tapestries.

Light is faster then sound. That is why people look intelligent until you hear them speak.

#44 2001-06-28 05:14:00

gk
Pilgrim
Website

Something from The Hall in Qul-na-Qar would be great.

Gathering the following quote in a picture would be fantastic but probably alot of work as well.

The hall is not empty now, but full of figures both beautiful and terrible.  Even if we sped back across the Shadowline in this very instant to one of the great markets of the southern harbor kingdoms, and there saw humanity in all its shapes and sizes and colors drawn together from all over the wide world, we would marvel at their sameness after seeing the Qar, the Twilight People, gathered in their high, dark hall.  Some are as stunningly fair as angels, tall and shapely as the most graceful kings and queens of men.  Some are small as mice. Others are figures from mortal nightmares, claw-fingered, serpent-eyed, covered with feathers or scales or oily fur.  They fill the hall from one end to the other, ranked according to intricate primordial hierarchies, a thousand different forms sharing only a keen dislike of humankind and, for this moment, a vast silence.

#45 2001-07-07 08:17:00

Phrenic
Pilgrim
Website

Ahh, i would like to see some pictures from the perspectives from, ahhh, like, from Flint or the wyvern , "shot through" with their emotions. Nothing realistic, but how , like the dogs appear to the wyvern (somehow working the fear out), or the castle or the gate to Flint ("big",etc.).
I don´t know, if this approach goes well with Matt´s style, but why not try something different.

#46 2008-04-27 19:00:02

Sir Camaris n Thorn
Pilgrim

is this only for shadowmarch or does it apply to the trilogy memory, sorrow and thorn?  cause if it does then i am looking for a sketch of camaris in his armour.......hopefully wallpaper size.......

Irish words of wisdom and advice-Irish Proverbs-Drinking
A man takes a drink, the drink takes a drink, the drink takes the man.
It’s the first drop that destroys you, there’s no harm at all in the last.
If it’s drowning you’re after, don’t torment yourself with shallow water.

#47 2009-04-26 11:33:23

Miriamele
Pilgrim

Old post, but figured I'd make a new comment...

Seeing "Town Crier" messages could be interesting in a fantasy setting if done right.

Carry on!

Princess Miriamele Presbyter

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Anything your wanting to see?

Board footer