Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-03-12 19:27:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Upcoming Tadly Comics

In case you missed it, Tad has signed on for writing DC Comic's AQUAMAN: SWORD OF ATLANTIS title starting with issue #50 (releasing March 21). See: http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6942  and download a sneak peek here: http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/6942_x.pdf

Also look for Tad's THE HELMET OF FATE: IBIS THE INVINCIBLE (http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6620 and
sneak peek here: http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/6620_x.pdf)  -- the site says it went on sale January 24th (but I've been a bad strangeshe and haven't been to the comicshop lately; will make amends this week!)

Priceless bit from the sneak peek:

The Helmet of Fate in the hands of Set? Oh, for the love of Me, all I wanted was a nap. Was that too much to ask of the universe?

Hee!

And although we have another topic THE NEXT, the series wrapped in December. Should be able to find back issues still.
(http://www.dccomics.com/comics/?cm=6464)

[ March 13, 2007: Message edited by: Sahi ]

#2 2007-03-13 02:52:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: Upcoming Tadly Comics

*wonders if above mentioned comics can be read as standalones*

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#3 2007-03-13 12:40:00

Hazel
Pilgrim

I cannot answer Sahi's question.  I was at the signing last night and Tad discussed thew Aquaman project and his hopes and dreams for the series.  He didn't get into details, but he really wants to revitalize Aquaman if possible.  He sounded so enthusiastic about the effort, it made me want to get the comics.

And I don't read comics.  Not since Betty and Veronica many many mnay years ago.

DogCo: Better Living Through Big Books!

"Why is the star on top of the tree the same star as the one that led people to Baby Cheezy?"

#4 2007-03-18 16:39:00

erutanlive
Pilgrim

#5 2007-03-18 17:32:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

helmet of fate, Ibix was interesting and fun in a silver agey way you don't see much nowadays,

I am waiting with bated breath for aquaman.

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#6 2007-03-19 18:49:00

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

The Aquaman comic looks pretty sweet. Tad is definitely a good choice for the series, considering his imagination and epic scope. He just better not kill him off by an underwater sniper.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#7 2007-03-19 22:10:00

bumadax
Pilgrim
Website

that's epic. and the sandman artist. or one of them. jeebus.

#8 2007-03-20 07:44:00

Ren
Pilgrim

I'm rolling at that preview...

"What does that mean? I Could have gotten that from a fortune Cookie! Couldn't you have at least given me a laser cannon or something? Thoth?"

*snerkles*

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#9 2007-03-20 15:05:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Clearly, Aquaman needs sharks. With frickin' lasers on their heads.

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#10 2007-03-20 15:44:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

and a guest spot from capt storm, every bodys favorite one legged shark punching sailor.

Slave of the lizard king

#11 2007-03-20 15:47:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

strangeshe wrote:

(but I've been a bad strangeshe and haven't been to the comicshop lately; will make amends this week!)

yes bad strangeshe, you also missed Buffy season 8 ish one which is just about sold out.

but aquaman a comin

Slave of the lizard king

#12 2007-03-20 16:09:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Eek! Is Buffy really almost sold out already?!
Curses on my too busy schedule... I'm going tomorrow.

I did, however, finish collecting THE NEXT and the HELMET OF FATE copies. Now I need to set up my subscriptions for Aquaman and Buffy. And maybe a few others.

#13 2007-03-20 16:55:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Double curses. I'm a very poor comics fan. However, we have the very-limited (so my shop says) Variant covers still available here, at a hefty price. Still, I may just have to get one of those 'cause I like it much better than the standard cover anyway. Bit of a splurge though.

Shop said there's a reprint on the way...

What news do you have, wiked?

#14 2007-03-20 19:48:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

news? the buffy comic rules, I picked mine up at my friendly neighborhood comic shop Thursday morning,
I'll pick up aquaman this week, Ibis, from what I have gathered from comicdom on the whole was pretty well received, It will be interesting to see the reaction to aquaman.

Slave of the lizard king

#15 2007-03-21 06:17:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Still nobody who knows if I can read them separately?

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#16 2007-03-21 06:33:00

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi, The Next is indeed a stand-alone story.  Don't know about Aquaman...

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#17 2007-03-21 06:50:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The question wasn't about the Next, since I already own all six of them. It was about the Mask of Ibis and Aquaman. :)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#18 2007-03-21 07:17:00

Ren
Pilgrim

What number is the first tad issue again? I keep forgettin...8P

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#19 2007-03-21 07:42:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

@Ren: First Tad Aquaman is #50, on sale today.

@Sahi: the Aquaman comics are an ongoing series. The Helmet of Fate is a mini-series of 5 issues which leads up to a new Dr. Fate (also a series). Tad wrote one of the five Helmet issues (Ibis). I'll try to come back later & post links, but if someone else beats me to it, that's okay too.

#20 2007-03-21 07:48:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks SS, but the question is do I need to read all 49 previous numbers of Aquaman?

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#21 2007-03-21 14:23:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi, from everything i have been hearing, you will probably be ok starting at 50, I have not read them myself, cause my comics budget keeps getting leaner,

As to the Helmet of fate, It works fine as a stand alone, The only background you might need is some quick research on Dr Fate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Fate,
and if you want some background on Ibis the invincible here

Slave of the lizard king

#22 2007-03-21 14:48:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks wiked!

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#23 2007-03-21 16:15:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Sahi wrote:

Thanks SS, but the question is do I need to read all 49 previous numbers of Aquaman?

Yalahii.

Ah I see. I totally wasn't thinking about the ones that had gone before, so I'll echo what Wiked said.

I haven't read all the preceding Aquamans either -- there were 5 other series prior to the current one, and I've only read a few of those myself, particularly the early comics that were part of my dad's collection. We're in the sixth series now, where Tad picks up with issue #50.

Taking a cue from Wiked, you can pick up quite a bit of the backstory stuff at the Wikipedia entry on Aquaman. (In fact, I like Wiki a lot for researching comic books; loads of info there. Comic fans are just sort of geeky that way -- a lot like Tad fans! Heh.)

It would be difficult, but not impossible, to go back and try to get all of those back issues, though you'd have to be a very dedicated fan/collector to do so. It's not really necessary to enjoy the ongoing story. You can pretty much just jump right in at any time.

There's a habit in the world of superhero comics of rewriting character histories (or creating "retroactive continuity" -- "retcon" for short). This has happened to Aquaman -- and most of the other superheroes at one time or another, especially those that have been around since the Golden Age. I used to read comics as a kid (again, my dad's collection), then stopped paying attention for many years when I "grew up" (yeah, right). Recently (I blame Tad), I started looking into what was going on with all my old favorite characters (mostly the DC Universe), and discovered that there had been rather a lot of major changes. Because I knew the characters "back in the day," I felt I needed to find out what had happened between then & now -- how these characters had evolved. It's a bit crazy, though, since there have been hundreds/thousands of issues over many titles that I'd have to read to become fully up to date. Instead of trying that, I've been picking up lots of the Trade Paperback collections which reprint 5 or 6 of the comics from a particular arc or series. That's a pretty good way of catching up.

On the other hand, for characters I don't already know, I'm really not bothering to try and find out about their pasts, just jumping in where they're at right now is working pretty well.

It's a lot like soap operas, actually. Heh.

[ March 21, 2007: Message edited by: strangeshe ]

#24 2007-03-22 03:41:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Okay thanks!

As soon as this moving thing is done, I'll go and see if I can get a subscription somewhere. :)

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

Board footer