Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-11-02 11:01:00

Rhymer
Pilgrim

Tad and ... Aquaman...

Tad, if you read this: my Congratulations! Just read over on Newsarama, that you're going to be the new writer of the "Aquaman"-series. What a nice surprise...

Only problem is, that I have decided just some months ago that I won't continue buying the title. (Not that I didn't like what Busiek was doing. I needed to economize, and other titles were just more interesting. And ... I just didn't like Orin's odd new hairdo.). But now ... you force me to change my mind again.

Really great news. Hope your run will be a success. That's one hard title to write. Even with Busiek and all his new ideas it didn't sell overwhelmingly, if I'm not mistaken. I'm certain, you'll do a fine job, though. (Still have to checkout "The Next", though. :) )

[ November 02, 2006: Message edited by: Rhymer ]

"Arithmetic arithmetock"
(Tom Waits)

#2 2006-11-02 11:03:00

Rhymer
Pilgrim

Re: Tad and ... Aquaman...

Oh, the Newsarama-article may be read at http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=89755

"Arithmetic arithmetock"
(Tom Waits)

#3 2006-11-02 13:36:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

There's also an interview at The Absorbascon (which, as far as I remember, is www.absorbascon.com,  but I could be mistaken.  I don't have it bookmarked on this browser, for various reasons, so please forgive if I'm wrong...)

Thanks for the kind words.  You'll see more than a few "Tad tropes", I'm sure.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#4 2006-11-02 17:49:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

there is a link over at the absorbacon, but the interview is actually posted at Big Monkey Comics..

It should be interesting ride, as i said before aquaman is a tough lad to write, He is a lot like animal man, his powers can be really cool or suck like a pool vac.. Its all dependent on the scribe..

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#5 2006-11-02 22:53:00

Rhymer
Pilgrim

wiked wrote:

Its all dependent on the scribe..

Not only on the scribe. Will Pfeifer and John Arcudi did some good work during their runs, but, still, not a lot of people cared. The character just doesn't have the necessary kind of following, maybe due to the setting his actions take place in. I think, in order to revive the title, DC Comics does not find any other solution than to use big name writers.

"Arithmetic arithmetock"
(Tom Waits)

#6 2006-11-03 06:20:00

ThistleKing
Pilgrim
Website

I think Aquaman has also suffered from being the long-running butt of so many pop-culture jokes.  From Bare Naked Ladies to Fairly Odd Parents, Aquaman (and parodies) have constantly suffered from the "You can talk to fish?  What good is THAT power?"

Maybe if DC/Tad/Project X can give him some adamantium claws, he'd turn into the badass of the seas.

Weak attempt at a website:

www.geocities.com/thistleking/index.html

#7 2006-11-03 09:58:00

Rhymer
Pilgrim

Cackalacky Matt Jay wrote:

Maybe if DC/Tad/Project X can give him some adamantium claws, he'd turn into the badass of the seas.

They already gave him a magical water-hand with healing powers and - earlier - a hook. Both ideas didn't seem to work. :)
But seriously, he is an interesting character. Unique. He needs an ongoing series. (And I dislike the capitalist forces of the market for putting this book under such a pressure to "sell well". ;)) Hopefully the title will find stability under the hands of Tad.

"Arithmetic arithmetock"
(Tom Waits)

#8 2006-11-03 10:12:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Looking forward to this Tad.
As a fan of Jacques Costeau sicne I was a kid Aquaman was always sort of a guilty pleasure for me way back when and I'd always been saddened by his seeming dumbing-down over the years.
I will definately be looking forward to and collecting this series. Just one thing, is he getitng his hand back? getting rid of the stupid stumpy/hook thing?
Maybe a replacement made from a Starfish or animate coral or something? So he can maybe go incognito in public with out accidentally stabbing everyone who tries to shake his hand...

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#9 2006-11-03 11:27:00

ThistleKing
Pilgrim
Website

I thought he already regained the hand.

In all honesty, I kind of liked the hook.  They could have gone all out and given him a trident head for a hand. 

I was unfamiliar with the waterball or whatever it was.

#10 2006-11-03 11:43:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Ah see how far behind I am?
Well I will just have to catch up then...8)

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#11 2006-11-03 23:44:00

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Another Aquaman Interview with Tad
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=89775

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#12 2006-11-04 05:43:00

Rhymer
Pilgrim

Cackalacky Matt Jay wrote:

I thought he already regained the hand.

In all honesty, I kind of liked the hook.  They could have gone all out and given him a trident head for a hand. 

I was unfamiliar with the waterball or whatever it was.

The thing is, that it's not the Aquaman anymore most people are used to. Nowadays Aq. is a young man in his twenties by the name of Arthur Curry (strangely enough the predecessor had the same name amongst others), accompanied by "King Shark" and the "Dweller of the Depths". This Dweller seems to be the old Aquaman himself. How all this is explained, I don't know, as I stopped buying the title some months ago.
DC just wanted to try something new, to refreshen the franchise and to get rid of complicated and contradicting aspects of the characters history, I guess. This new Aquaman still has both of his hands, so that Tad doesn't have to worry about that.

"Arithmetic arithmetock"
(Tom Waits)

#13 2006-11-06 06:32:00

ThistleKing
Pilgrim
Website

Ah, wow.  I guess I've been out of ye olde comic loop for too long.  I didn't realize that there was a new and revitalized Aquaman.  Thanks for the update.  Now I can sort of know where we're starting when I start buying Tad's issues!

#14 2006-11-07 15:12:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

But things will change...

Oh, yes, things will change.

I thought the first time I read CMJay's comment that it said, "Give him a trident for a head", and I thought, "Wow, he's even got weirder ideas than I do."

There is a certain dark amusement in considering how later generations of comic readers might think of me as "The writer during the weird and disastrous Trident Head Era..."

-- Dylan

#15 2006-11-07 16:59:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

You mean... you're not going to give him a trident for a head? Man, Tad, you're missing a great opportunity. At the very least, you'd make a name for yourself in the comics industry. There would definitely be a buzz.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#16 2006-11-08 05:59:00

ThistleKing
Pilgrim
Website

All joking aside, Chairface was one of the coolest villains from "The Tick"...

#17 2006-11-08 23:09:00

Matt
Pilgrim
Website

With one of the coolest villain voices of all time: Tony Jay's.  Looking him up just now, I see he died back in August, which is a shame.

"The world up and went sane and I was left to stand alone."

-- Latigo Flint

#18 2006-11-10 16:16:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

Yeah, RIP, T. Jay.  At least there are still a few letters left on the moon.

-- Dylan

Board footer