Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-09-22 06:49:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Art resources

Question to all the artistic people round here. What (online) resources do you use?

I've got two reasons for asking. Maybe three, I'm not very good at drawing, myself. And I'd like very much to try creating the lady porcupine. Also I would like to create a female version of the Java icon Duke.

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2006-09-22 07:18:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Art resources

Hmm. Google image search is my best friend.

If you want to study armor, type the century you are looking for (eg: 16th century armor).

My mother, a children's art teacher (and thus me, the unwitting asisstant for twelve years), taught how to draw shapes and outlines from photos, so this works really well for me.

The best way to learn, I've found, is to base your drawing off of real pictures. You can capture the motion and feel of an object or person that way.

For a dollar you could find a girl of every possible design,
But you couldn't find a decent man, or a word spoken kind.

~Rum Brave, Murder By Death

Microphobe's Art Space || The Downwright's Arena

#3 2006-09-22 07:25:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks!

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2006-09-23 10:49:00

Manuela
Pilgrim
Website

I use Google and GettyImages as online resources. The latter is quite good.

If I can I shoot reference pictures myself, though. Takes as much time as finding useful images online and you get references that are closer to the pose and angle that you're aiming for. Some people are just, err, reluctant to pose as models and need some convincing.

#5 2006-09-23 12:55:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks, I think that reference might help me with my costuming. :)

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#6 2006-09-25 02:14:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

I'm most often looking through my harddisk, where I have lots of pics from other artist. Sometimes it's good to look at how others have done something, you just can't get right. At other times I use the google picture search and look for photographies. I used that for a cat-problem most recently ^_^

Dream on.

#7 2006-10-06 00:25:00

samwise
Pilgrim
Website

You stated in your original post that you're not very good at drawing. I'd also suggest getting very familiar with basic perspective and figure drawing. Working from photographs can be very difficult if you're not grounded in the fundamentals. Buy a large art pad and some pencils, and throw away the eraser, and then find some live objects to sketch before tackling something as ambitious as a fantasy character. Good luck, and post the link to your finished work, I'd like to see it.

I want my two dollars!

#8 2006-10-06 00:33:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thanks, but don't hold your breath waiting for my artwork. ;) It might be a while in coming.

And I already have some books on drawing. One on perspective, one on jungle animals (I think), and one on fantasy creatures.

Trouble is I don't have enough time (or motivation) to actually practice enough to remember all the lessons learned from those. :)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#9 2006-12-07 21:22:00

kittymeow84
Pilgrim

If you can, go and do some life drawing classes - SO valuable!

Also, the way I draw is start from the inside and go out...like build the frames and general skeletal structure, then add on flesh, hair and clothes.

I recently bought this book: Dynamic Anatomy
Its been the most useful anatomy book ever because not only does it show you all the muscles etc, it shows them in motion - unlike most anatomy books which are a bit boring really. 
Having a good understanding of the human body and its movement is essential IMHO

Good luck with the drawing! I've just started an illustration blog to bring back my creativity...It was reading Shadowmarch that inspired me really - and now I'm eager to do some drawings of Barrick and some other less prominent but equally intriguing characters so I will post those eventually!

Carpe Diem

#10 2006-12-07 23:59:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Don't think I've welcomed you yet, so welcome aboard!

Thanks for the tips, but my schedule is a bit too full to take any classes. And music lessons will beat drawing lessons. (And I still haven't started those due to being too busy.)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#11 2006-12-22 00:05:00

Hiragana
Pilgrim

There are some very good tutorials over at Elfwood. Also, I <3 Stephanie Pui-Mun Law's commonsense art tutorials.

On deviantart right now, there are a lot of people photographing stock pictures that artists can use, either for digital manipulation or as references, but you have to credit them.

Mostly for me, it's google, and I do it the old fashioned way, read artbooks for fun :) Not that it helped me in the stuff I really need help with. I still can't draw hands properly and my figure drawings suck. Too much of an impressionist at heart :p

Board footer