Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-10-01 06:03:27

strangeshe
Hierarch

Re: The Announcement is Here!

Heh.

Even the impossibly garrulous author Tad Williams is here, bulldozing through the jetlag on raw enthusiasm alone, talking enough to fill the thousand pages of one of his books. It's rare enough to get the reluctant presence of a licensor, but Williams seems genuinely delighted to be here promoting this game - and after all, why shouldn't he? It's not just that his work is being faithfully adapted - it's that his predictions are coming true.

from the eurogamer preview

"impossibly garrulous" tickles me...

#27 2008-10-01 06:06:01

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

User generated quests have me intrigued.

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#28 2008-10-01 06:13:09

sisterdew
Pilgrim

no need for a translation,then?

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#29 2008-10-01 06:13:34

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

What makes me squee:

There will be a "post-story" game, after you've completed the phases of the existing worlds, where players could actually amass enough wealth to become the world-running evil in the system. User-generated content, anyone?

What makes me fear:

Support for any and every business model, from subscription to micro-transaction, is being built into the game in an effort to make it ready for every market.

I just *know* that's going to mean they want to nickel and dime you for every little bit of content beyond what you get in the basic game.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#30 2008-10-01 06:13:48

strangeshe
Hierarch

Everything in Otherland is made of code, and your understanding of code and ability to manipulate it - the power of the link between you and the net, your "telemorphic capacity" - is what dictates your character's advancement, and acts as its health. It replenishes over time, but consistent damage reduces the total you can have, and at zero your own code degrades so much that you experience virtual death - lose your appearance, in other words.

(eurogamer review again)

I can't even picture how this would be done...

this is really sounding v. cool...

#31 2008-10-01 06:22:16

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Aan`allein wrote:

What makes me fear:

Support for any and every business model, from subscription to micro-transaction, is being built into the game in an effort to make it ready for every market.

I just *know* that's going to mean they want to nickel and dime you for every little bit of content beyond what you get in the basic game.

I'm not sure this is new, though.  With WoW as an example, in some countries (I think China?), there's no monthly subscription, but things in game cost money, while in others, the subscription is the only cost (US/Europe).  I think they are tailored to what people are used to in (the culture of each place).  I doubt they'd go away from the successful monthly subscription for Western players.  Obviously, I'm speculating here.

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

#32 2008-10-01 06:25:09

strangeshe
Hierarch

Well, now that we can, I've set up a Forum for the MMORPG discussions. And after posting this, will move this topic over there. :)

#33 2008-10-01 06:30:49

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Awesome, SS!  And thanks for your hard work and patience in keeping us up to date while keeping all parties happy.  I'll post a more detailed reaction later...but need to get back to work for now.

#34 2008-10-01 06:32:38

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Wolfshade wrote:

I'm not sure this is new, though.  With WoW as an example, in some countries (I think China?), there's no monthly subscription, but things in game cost money, while in others, the subscription is the only cost (US/Europe).

Ah, I did not know that. That definitely makes me more hopeful.

(Though I'm no fan of monthly subscription either. Like the GuildWars model much more (at least from before they abandoned the "chapters" and started nickel and diming for new content), as it means there's much less "pressure" to spend a lot of time in the game, which makes it more fun and casual.)

Just Imagine...

#35 2008-10-01 06:39:44

mabinogi
Pilgrim
Website

I'm not sure you'd be doing Otherland justice by playing it casually though - if you're not hooking yourself up to a life support system so you can play the game 24/7, then it's just not Otherland! ;)

..and then one day you find, ten years have got behind you,
no one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun..

My Musical Experimentations

#36 2008-10-01 06:42:14

mabinogi
Pilgrim
Website

Actually, the most worrying thing to me is just how much stuff they say they're going to do....
It's easy to say, and easy for them to imagine, and it's probably even easy for the programmers to figure out 90% of how they're going to achieve it, but it's that last 10% that results in them having to slash half the features to get something out on time, on budget, or playable on a machine with less than 32 cores and 4 video cards

#37 2008-10-01 06:48:18

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Heh, perversely enough I'm not worried about that at all, as it's completely in my line of expectation that at least half of the cool things they want to do won't make it to the game (at least not at first release). There's enough potential for what remains to still be a major leap forward, though. Plus, two years is a long time (and then I'm halfway expecting the release date to slip into 2011, too).

Just Imagine...

#38 2008-10-01 06:55:58

mabinogi
Pilgrim
Website

that's true...

#39 2008-10-01 07:09:10

strangeshe
Hierarch

you oldtimers are so jaded ;)

(but probably right)

#40 2008-10-01 07:17:54

mabinogi
Pilgrim
Website

strangeshe wrote:

you oldtimers are so jaded ;)

(but probably right)

Heh, I spend a large percentage of my time at work trawling through our issue tracking system bumping features to the next release so we can get something out on ti...uh, only a couple of months late...

In fact, while I'm doing that, I'm wasting time I could be working on the features still scheduled for this release, which means I guess I'd better bump another one now ;)

Also, the language used in the articles sounds way too much like me when I'm imagining future features in our products, before the reality of actually having to deliver them sets in....heh

Last edited by mabinogi (2008-10-01 07:18:31)

#41 2008-10-01 09:18:27

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I hate monthly payments for games. I've never played any that worked that way. I even stopped playing griddlers (some silly puzzle game) because they chose that construct. I don't mind paying for games at all, it's just that I tend to game very intensively for a short period of time (never knowing when I begin and certainly not when that period ends) and then not play it for possibly years.

So I really hope they will earn their money some other way.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#42 2008-10-01 09:23:16

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

this would probably require me to get something more high tech then my creaky coffee stained second hand ubuntu laptop

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#43 2008-10-01 12:31:13

deborah
Hierarch

"impossibly garrulous" tickles me...

Yeah, I laffed mightily about that at my desk this morning...

#44 2008-10-01 14:31:30

Damon
Pilgrim
Website

It sounds awesome, and I am very hopeful. Hope that there's a table in the back of the Treehouse for us crotchety old-timers.

Damon.co.nz: Where the homeless come to bathe
"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."

#45 2008-10-01 14:49:35

Outsider
Pilgrim
Website

Will there be a Mac version?

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

#46 2008-10-01 14:51:42

Damon
Pilgrim
Website

The articles I've read only say that they're targeting a PC launch in 2010. Whether that means they'll aim for a Mac launch later, or that it's not on the cards right now - who knows?

Damon.co.nz: Where the homeless come to bathe
"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."

#47 2008-10-01 14:55:38

Outsider
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I'll have an Intel Mac by then so not worried too much.

"A witty saying proves nothing." -- Voltaire
"Bring back meat, we are not Zida'ya, to live on flowers and bee's milk." -- Kemme

Follow me on Twitter

#48 2008-10-01 16:28:09

erutanlive
Pilgrim

True, though I don't think I'd like to dual boot for a mmog... if I'm going to play a fps for a few hours it's fine, but it's nice to just pop open your game for a bit and chat, check mail/auctions etc, in your main OS.  Though by then perhaps d3d in virtual machines will be further along...

#49 2008-10-01 17:31:19

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

wiked wrote:

this would probably require me to get something more high tech then my creaky coffee stained second hand ubuntu laptop

Even though my computer runs Age of Conan (high graph depending though), I guess I need Vista and more ram for that.
Well hope the prices go down over the next 2-3 years :P

#50 2008-10-01 20:23:48

strangeshe
Hierarch

Go check out the latest DogBlog (on the front page, here) for more about the game from Tad -- plus pictures!

We have a slight bug, though, when you click through the DogBlog to post a comment. The images break on the Comments/Archive pages. Not sure why just yet, but we'll get that fixed asap. Text is still there, though!

Board footer