Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-06-27 19:05:42

wingfootmarx
Pilgrim

Re: Ferras Vansen

Ferras Vansen is also my favorite character in this series.  I've always been amazed at the amount of depth Tad puts into his characters, but sometimes I feel that Vansen could easily walk out of the pages of the book and into real life.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

-Douglas Adams

#27 2008-08-02 19:22:40

elainefelicity
Pilgrim

Nerahla wrote:

This is a completely hedonistic post to thank Tad for writing a character I can fully crush on in every possible way.  I always like it when I can read and book and *YUM* after a character.   

I like that he's written not all Hollywood Gorgeous, but with flaws.. but it's his character that is attractive.   Magnetic, in fact.   

So, thanks :)

I couldn't agree with you more. Vansen seems really long suffering, he doesn't get enough credit from the other characters, and as for the picture I have of him in my mind's eye I too could have a crush on him! I thought it was just me being weird!

#28 2008-08-16 19:00:40

synchrosina
Pilgrim

Vansen is the favorite character of both myself and my husband. Gotta love the stoic guy with the romantic streak. He changed a bit in the second book, I think. I can't imagine Vansen from Shadowmarch talking back to Barrick the way he does in Shadowplay. Or maybe that's just me... Well, we'll see what happens in book 3.

The husband has played several WoW characters named after Vansen.

EDIT: Whoa, I shared this opinion with my husband and he violently objected. Even husband and wife don't always agree, it seems ;)

Last edited by synchrosina (2008-08-19 12:08:31)

#29 2008-08-26 22:39:40

C.E.Grayson
Pilgrim
Website

Another thing I like about Vansen is that he is, as is rare for fantasy protaganists, self-made.

I'm getting really tired of heroes/heroines who must "deal with the weight of destiny" or some other such ... well, its not nonsense, but it IS getting old.

Vansen is who he is and where he is because of the opportunities he was dealt in his life. He's a normal guy doing the best he can in strange, horrific circumstances, and yet remaining himself. He's a hero that can be an inspiration to real people.

I could never be Barrick (and I guess, who'd want to be) and likewise, I could never be Paul Atreides. I could be Vansen as anyone (especially a short guy like me) could aspire to be Frodo.

He's not the chosen one. He's just some one, being a hero because someone needs to be.

I know that rambled, I hope it made sense. (and i've become a Vansen-Briony shipper even though I know it's destined to end in tragedy).

check out my writer's blog: http://cegrayson.wordpress.com
check out my online serial: http://meremortals.wordpress.com

#30 2008-09-12 01:46:16

synchrosina
Pilgrim

Doomed? I hope not... Sort of. One one hand, I want to see Vansen get the girl. On the other, I'm not sure she's good enough for him and hope he gets over her and ends up in a relationship "better" for him.

#31 2009-01-25 13:06:44

Spanman
Pilgrim

Yessss. Ferras Vansen. I'm torn on whether or not to love him to bits and want the best for him. He seems to be the sort of guy who gets into all the bad luck, and hoping for something good for him would probably jinx things. Sigh.

None of us is as stupid as all of us.

#32 2009-02-03 09:37:04

noone12345
Pilgrim

I would like to see him have his princess.After all it's a fantasy.And he goes to so much pain. so romantic sigh

#33 2010-01-11 21:03:06

mmp
Pilgrim

Vansen is also my favorite character besides Briony. I think they will end up together because Vansen seems to really love her. Also when Briony is with the group of players she was thinking about him.

#34 2010-01-16 07:07:01

mmv_fantasy
Pilgrim

Yeah, vansen's great. a smart and natural guy who has a really bad luck so he always gets in troubles. i think i didn't breathe for a moment when i read that part about him fallin' into kernios's world or what-ever-the-name-is. i also melted when briony started thinking about him. she started changing when she had to escape her castle, so i tink she's now worthier of vansen. they're so cute! the other couple i'm also hopin' to end up together are Barrick and Quinnitan. Honestly, i was kind of getting bored reading about her in shadowmarch cuz she didn't seem to have anything with the twins but being some kind of prisoner to the man who wanted the twins's land for himself. But now it's okay :D i'm really lookin' forward to hers and barricks final meetig for real, and not just in each other's dreams ^^ and of course i'm definitely looking forward for that psychopath's ass ( cuz the autarch is OBVIOUSLY sick, and not in a easy or physical way) being kicked ^^

"Lost in the world of imagination, I forgot my sad, lonely existence for a while, and was happy". Charlotte Brontë, "Jane Eyre"

#35 2010-01-18 22:38:32

Tailchaser
Pilgrim

I really hope that Vansen and Briony get together - they already can't ignore each other :) - but I think it'll be hard to explain away the "royalty of Southmarch" thing. I get the feeling that Briony is getting the hang of real life outside of the castle courts, and won't want to go back to court. Because of the ending to Shadowplay, I think Briony is going to try to get a Syanese army together and storm the castle, Barrick will be just in time to deliver the mirror, and Vansen will meet Briony there at the Southmarch castle. And then some epic battle. Everyone's heading there, right?

I like the idea of Barrick finding love, perhaps in Quinitan, but she kind of annoys me. She's been raised in this hierarchial system with a living god, and while she questions it (in a snide way) she fully obeys its statutes as well. Her reactions are just so green. I was glad she just went with Daikonas Vo when he captured her and Pigeon. If she had tried to run I wouldn't have felt bad for her. Honestly I kind of hope the Autarch captures her. It would be interesting to find out what he means by "the gods are anxious to be born." Obviously he means to get her pregnant, but that seems a bit much for a mortal.

I think there's a special significance to the twins being so in tune with each other. I feel like Barrick is going to get some strength from Briony when he really needs it. Let me know if you think so, too!

One thing is confusing me - the Southmarch castle - um, has it been built up over ancient Qar ruins, like Osten Ard's castle, or was it built like it is today? (Or, today as of Shadowplay?) It seems strange for the Qar to have a castle of Mirror-glass and then a... stoney.. moat thing. Just wondering. And if the Funderlings have lived there since the beginning, wouldn't they have the Qar-lore as part of their history?

...hmmm...

We are the sum of all ages, are we not? And as a result there is nothing that marks this age of ours, save that one thing. We are the sum.
-Michael Moorcock

#36 2010-01-19 05:56:40

mmv_fantasy
Pilgrim

Tailchaser wrote:

I really hope that Vansen and Briony get together - they already can't ignore each other :) - but I think it'll be hard to explain away the "royalty of Southmarch" thing. I get the feeling that Briony is getting the hang of real life outside of the castle courts, and won't want to go back to court. Because of the ending to Shadowplay, I think Briony is going to try to get a Syanese army together and storm the castle, Barrick will be just in time to deliver the mirror, and Vansen will meet Briony there at the Southmarch castle. And then some epic battle. Everyone's heading there, right?

I like the idea of Barrick finding love, perhaps in Quinitan, but she kind of annoys me. She's been raised in this hierarchial system with a living god, and while she questions it (in a snide way) she fully obeys its statutes as well. Her reactions are just so green. I was glad she just went with Daikonas Vo when he captured her and Pigeon. If she had tried to run I wouldn't have felt bad for her. Honestly I kind of hope the Autarch captures her. It would be interesting to find out what he means by "the gods are anxious to be born." Obviously he means to get her pregnant, but that seems a bit much for a mortal.

I think there's a special significance to the twins being so in tune with each other. I feel like Barrick is going to get some strength from Briony when he really needs it. Let me know if you think so, too!

One thing is confusing me - the Southmarch castle - um, has it been built up over ancient Qar ruins, like Osten Ard's castle, or was it built like it is today? (Or, today as of Shadowplay?) It seems strange for the Qar to have a castle of Mirror-glass and then a... stoney.. moat thing. Just wondering. And if the Funderlings have lived there since the beginning, wouldn't they have the Qar-lore as part of their history?

...hmmm...

Wow, you really ARE full of questions xD but i guess that's good ;) um, about that thing with vansen, briony and barrick meeting in southmarch? that's actually very possible. don't know why i didn't figure that out myself. i guess  that's because i didn't quite understand where is that Qar city barrick has to deliver the mirror - you think that's in southmarch? but the castle still isn't covered by the shadowline. and the city is behind the line, right? More deeply in the shadow lands... well, that's how i got it, and i kind of imagined vansen and briony meeting in southmarch and him telling her that he fell into the underworld, so she will be angry with him because he lost barrick out of sight, but they will still go search for barrick, and she will - you know, while traveling and everything - fall in love with vansen (more than she unconsciensly already is, of course :P). but i think your guesses are also not bad.

"Lost in the world of imagination, I forgot my sad, lonely existence for a while, and was happy". Charlotte Brontë, "Jane Eyre"

#37 2010-01-20 12:08:29

Tailchaser
Pilgrim

Oops! Yeah you're right I worded that badly. I meant that I figured Barrick will make it to the Qar castle just in time to deliver the mirror, while Vansen and Briony will be back at Southmarch. Haha you're probably right about Briony freaking out about Vansen leaving Barrick alone. :D

We are the sum of all ages, are we not? And as a result there is nothing that marks this age of ours, save that one thing. We are the sum.
-Michael Moorcock

#38 2010-01-23 10:06:07

mmv_fantasy
Pilgrim

yeah, she's kind of explosive :PP i bet it will be the same thing like as in osten ard when simon got angry at miriamele. not that i'm complaining - that's one of my favourite parts ^^

#39 2010-03-16 17:20:41

zandramas
Pilgrim

agree with you all 'bout vansen:) have you guys noticed the resemblance with paul jonas in otherland? i re-read otherland yesterday & must confess i'm in love with both of them from now on...

#40 2010-03-18 08:02:44

chamberk again
Pilgrim

Yeah, both Paul and Ferras manage to get across the "ordinary man in extraordinary circumstances" type well.  You gotta respect a guy who is just your average everyday guy going up against a god.  (Or, in Jonas's case, being employed and manipulated by a man like Jongleur...)

#41 2010-03-18 15:58:23

rhos
Pilgrim

hey newbie here!

if i haven't missed anything, vansen and briony DON'T meet in shadowrise?? or am i wrong? i can't read the book cause my "beloved" bookstores don't have it :( so i need to beg informations like this!!
i'm posting this question on all the topics and hope to finally get the answer :)hope u don't mind!

#42 2010-03-21 10:43:46

zandramas
Pilgrim

some of you guys were wondering how old ferras vansen's supposed to be...

well, as far as i can tell he seems to be perhaps 21-22 or something like that - he came to southmarch six years before the beginning of shadowmarch and apparently left his home when he was close to brinony's age.

:)

#43 2010-03-31 15:41:29

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

I just wanted to come back to the thread I started and re-iterate that I do still indeed have a thing for Ferras Vansen.  Alas, he wasn't at all in Shadowrise as much as I'd have liked to see him. 

I have this sneaking suspicion that Tad wanted to make Barrick more sympathetic... with hero potential.   

Really making us wait til November (?) for the next installment/end is torture :/

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#44 2010-04-27 05:42:46

mmv_fantasy
Pilgrim

rhos wrote:

hey newbie here!

if i haven't missed anything, vansen and briony DON'T meet in shadowrise?? or am i wrong? i can't read the book cause my "beloved" bookstores don't have it :( so i need to beg informations like this!!
i'm posting this question on all the topics and hope to finally get the answer :)hope u don't mind!

Hej vidi vidi znači i ti iz hrv :) nemoj se tužit ti si bliže zagrebu nego ja: dubrovnik -.- naš koliko treba da knjiga dođe ovamo? mjesec dana :/ al sve u svemu, imam je i vansen jest u južnoj međi iliti southmarch ali neće susresti briony. nažalost -.- morat ćemo još malo pričekat do zadnjeg nastavka, ali ne previše jer mislim da izlazi još ove godine :))

#45 2010-05-04 01:36:16

Sgtcampsalot
Pilgrim
Website

I had to say, on the topic of Briony/Farras's age difference...

I just imagine Briony/Barrick to be about 20 to 22 years old, somewhere around there (18, if I'm really feeling courageous). Maybe it's the fact that I'm 22 myself, but I just find it very hard to imagine these two characters in my head as adolescents. Briony essentially acts as a twenty-something mature princess, and Barrick (despite all his angstiness from his "curse") simply does not feel THAT young.

Granted, they each have their own immature moments (but who DOESN'T as a young adult in their twenties?) but heck, I just... am unable to see them as so young. If I did, the context of what I was reading just wouldn't work in my mental images that I see when I read the books! :P

Also, for any fans of the show "Community", I've ended up, just through circumstance of Briony's description, ended up envisioning Briony as looking like Britta, if she was ten years younger. XD
I think it's the blonde hair Briony's supposed to have, haha. Also, since Britta can sometimes be a tough ass.

Last edited by Sgtcampsalot (2010-05-04 01:38:17)

#46 2011-02-08 15:09:12

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

Coming back full circle to howl from the rooftops and crow wildly about how wonderful this character is.

I love him!  So brave, so wonderful, so genuine.

I felt like Bastian in the Neverending Story while reading Shadowheart.  I was with him every step of the way <3

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#47 2012-09-12 12:57:31

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Spoilers spoilers spoilers....

Old topic, but hasn't been discussed since the release of the last book!

How do you guys feel about the ending of the Briony-Ferras romance? Lovers, but not married, and not exactly on the path to being it either... Briony is a ruler and eventually needs heirs. Or will she give up the throne to Alessandros in 15 years and marry Ferras then? I think that would be too late, her court will pressure her into a marriage if nothing else. A small country that needs allies. Probably they ought to shoot her for not marrying Eneas.

As for Ferras's age, I got the feeling he was around 25. He cannot possibly be just 21, remember all the experience he reminisces on? And at the end of the story I think Briony is 16. I guess that's fine.

I like Ferras as a soldier character, but he's about as warm as yesterday's tea... give me Simon and Renie!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#48 2012-09-12 13:23:43

ylvs
Mantis

Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers!

Apart from your valuable political arguments - I really enjoyed this ending of the romance. It's so modern, sensible and mature ... a Happily Ever After with no marriage worked perfect for me ... and I really [i]loved[\i] the scene when they finally worked it all out ... even shed some tears ...

*edited for forgetting spoiler warning*

Last edited by ylvs (2012-09-12 13:25:11)

To meet an old friend is like the finding of a welcoming campfire in the dark. Qanuc saying
Scrollbearer
Titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Arsonist of the probably most spectacular Mint burning ever

#49 2012-09-13 03:55:36

Sahi
Mantis
Website

And I'm sure such romances were a lot more common than a royal person marrying a soldier.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#50 2012-09-13 05:41:24

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

By the way, I'm not saying I don't enjoy the ending, I do. And especially I like how it was cliché-free. In MST it made sense with the couples that wound up together. It was romantic and the stuff the future legends will be built on. In SM there were basically no conventional romance endings for any couples. I mean, compare with David Eddings, for instance, where everyone gets married in the end. Here we have one soul lost halfway down the road to death and another couple never happening at all, and a somewhat illicit affair between nobility and commoner. That's pretty cool. But it doesn't have the feeling of a foundation that the nation can be rebuilt upon... so I guess my feelings are a bit torn about it. It goes against all the ideas of the Victorian novel at least ;) death, marriage, or inheritance... not all these half-endings :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

Board footer