Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-03-30 12:24:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: The Blue Tailor

Oh, I'm not going to redo the culotte, I'll just wear it lower than I intended to. And this is only the trial version anyway.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#52 2008-03-31 21:32:55

cyan
Mantis

Okay, it looks like I'm doing costumes for my company party as well as my niece's senior prom dress, in addition to the costumes for Calgary.  Yikes.

I should prolly get that digital camera soon.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#53 2008-03-31 22:20:36

cyan
Mantis

Libra & Sahi:  I was digging through my fabric collection and (re-)discovered that I have several yards of both green (rayon) and brown (wool) crepe in my closet.  They may work quite well for the culottes!

Hmmm... the brown is more like a crinkle gauze, but made of wool (online sources suck at explaining this), but it is a loose weave and somewhat translucent, so doubling the fabric might be best.  I have enough for that, I think.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer

#54 2008-03-31 23:04:04

cyan
Mantis

Okay, digital camera purchased!

Scrollbearer

#55 2008-03-31 23:58:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I think I'd rather go looking for fabrics for the culottes myself (half the fun you know and I've already made an appointment with Libra to go to a fabric market), but if we don't find anything we like there, we'll definitely get back to you about it.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#56 2008-04-01 10:45:34

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

(half the fun you know and I've already made an appointment with Libra to go to a fabric market)

I know very well, I'm looking forward to visiting my favorite silk store with my niece this weekend. :-)

Scrollbearer

#57 2008-04-01 11:35:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I replied to your email, btw.

Scrollbearer

#58 2008-04-01 11:52:47

cyan
Mantis

Yes, I saw.  And I'd really love to use a brocade but it comes in 29" width so you need more yards of fabric - ends up being $$.  I'm waiting to hear back from Libra too.

Oh, can you send me a pic of your cloak?  I keep forgetting about the cloaks.

Last edited by cyan (2008-04-01 11:53:00)

Scrollbearer

#59 2008-04-01 12:12:38

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Pictures sent! (Though they're not very good as Ivo isn't home and the sun is setting.)

And I really like that all fabrics here come in 1,4 or 1,5 meters of width.

Scrollbearer

#60 2008-04-01 12:31:40

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

Pictures sent! (Though they're not very good as Ivo isn't home and the sun is setting.)

Got them, thanks!  Simple, I can duplicate for me and Libra, no problem.

Scrollbearer

#61 2008-04-01 23:50:14

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Btw, what will we do for purses/handbags? I'm used to lugging a lot of stuff around.

Scrollbearer

#62 2008-04-02 13:56:13

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

so i think this is an appropriate place to have a fashion crisis. so yeah.

apparently i'm going to some sort of business meeting on saturday. it's with this friend from work who's actually all enthusiastic and excited about business type stuff. i don't know the first damned thing about these sorts of things, so i thought "hey! wouldn't it be cool to find out something new!" and then five minutes later it occurred to me that i don't know what business type people wear! should i do totally gussied up? or like...half and half. a nice black skirt with a more casualish (but still nice) shirt? and the shoes! oh god the shoes! i have running shoes and i have boots, neither of which are appropriate. apart from that i have a pair of black flats that i just bought this year. is that completely inappropriate? he always does the whole shirt and tie thing, but since he's like...male, that makes sense. should i wear a tie? i'd prolly look awesome in a tie. but something tells me that i'd just come across as completely crazy if i did that. man i'd totally look awesome in a tie. but then i'd have to tie it, wouldn't i? i'm not too good about having things closed around my neck. so maybe not. oh god what have i gotten myself into.

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#63 2008-04-02 14:17:45

cyan
Mantis

Any expectation of formal business attire for a meeting on a Saturday has no basis in reality.  Blouse, skirt and flats would be perfectly appropriate.

Scrollbearer

#64 2008-04-02 15:11:26

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

cyan, you make me feel better about life. *huggles*

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#65 2008-04-02 15:12:35

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

oh and also, is it way too early in the year to go without tights? cuz god i hate those things.

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#66 2008-04-02 16:26:15

cyan
Mantis

*hugglesback*

ceywren wrote:

oh and also, is it way too early in the year to go without tights? cuz god i hate those things.

If you're comfortable with going tight-less, I don't see how anyone else would have a problem with it.  Should prolly shave your legs though. ;-)

Scrollbearer

#67 2008-04-02 16:46:06

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

cyan wrote:

Okay, it looks like I'm doing costumes for my company party as well as my niece's senior prom dress, in addition to the costumes for Calgary.

Costumes? For Calgary?

I didn't get the memo!

And I thought I could get away with a pretty dress from The Pyramid Collection.

#68 2008-04-02 16:50:18

cyan
Mantis

I'm pretty sure Sahi, Libra and I discussed it back on the con thread...  :-\

Scrollbearer

#69 2008-04-02 17:01:19

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, you probably did... I came in late, and probably missed it in my skim-reading.

I will try to go back and re-read.... I might be up for pulling out my sewing machine for this one, if you don't mind me jumping in. :)

#70 2008-04-02 17:07:58

cyan
Mantis

I don't mind you jumping in, though you may need more than just a sewing machine ;-)  I'll email you when I get home tonight.

Scrollbearer

#71 2008-04-02 18:52:10

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

cyan wrote:

Should prolly shave your legs though. ;-)

curses! and here i thought the yeti look was in.

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#72 2008-04-02 20:11:38

cyan
Mantis

Hi Marian,

Here's where we (Libra, Sahi, and I) stand currently on our Calgary costume plans:

Outfit #1 consists of a blouse, culottes, and a corset (or stay).  I've already ordered 2 blouse patterns (one for me and Sahi, the other for Libra), which I'll be sending to Sahi along with the ivory faille fabric for hers and Libra's blouse.  I'm making my own blouse using other fabric I have here.  Sahi can prolly send you one of the blouse patterns after she's done with them, or I can send you the pattern info so you can order your own.  Sahi is making the culottes for all three of us, using a simple pattern that I gave her instructions on how to draft.  I can't speak for Sahi obviously, so I don't know if she's willing to do another pair.  Though I can just as easily send you the drafting instructions, if you feel up to tackling it yourself.  I'm making the corsets, and have ordered a similar pattern to save me some time on the drafting end.  My plan is to make them out of black leather and edged in metallic bronze leather.  I've just now dug out my leather stash, and I'm not sure that I have enough black leather to do 4 corsets... I also have 3 hides of brown leather, but it doesn't go well with the metallic bronze, darn.

Outfit #2 consist of a stylized 'kimono' and a wide (prolly beaded) belt, both of which I'm making.  I'm taking my niece to my favorite silk store on Saturday, so I'll be looking for fabric for this outfit as well.

I'm also making cloaks for myself and Libra (Sahi already has one).  I'll be looking for fabric for that soon also.  The pattern for the cloak is pretty simple, and can give you instructions on how to draft that also.  Or I can draft it for you and send you the pattern (that goes for the culottes as well).

As to the cost, we're keeping track of what we spend, and will settle up when we meet in Calgary.

So the question to you, Marian, is how much 'jumping in' do you want to do?

I'm going to PM you also.

ETA:  I was remiss in mentioning that Libra has taken on the task of making jewelry for us.  We're also relying on her artistic talents for the beaded design on the wide belt to go with the kimono, and possibly embroidery on the culottes.

Last edited by cyan (2008-04-02 21:32:03)

Scrollbearer

#73 2008-04-03 00:36:25

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Cyan, I have an appointment with Libra for the 27th. Will that still be early enough for the measurements? If not we'll have to figure something else out.

Scrollbearer

#74 2008-04-03 00:42:21

cyan
Mantis

That'll work out nicely!  The timing will be just fine.

Did you see my latest email?

Scrollbearer

#75 2008-04-03 01:08:44

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I don't know, but I guess not. My mail is slow in loading today.

Scrollbearer

Board footer