Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-03-26 10:00:14

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: The Blue Tailor

cyan, do you have any idea when you'll order those blouse patterns? I'm planning to go shopping for fabric at the end of april, and it would be nice if I already knew how much I'm going to need sometime before then. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#27 2008-03-26 10:32:15

cyan
Mantis

Hi Sahi!  So happens I was planning to order them in the next few days.  I was just trying to decided if I wanted to purchase another pattern for myself, I have a company party in mid-April.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#28 2008-03-27 01:58:12

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Cool! As I said, there's no real hurry yet.

By the way, did you have any particular types of fabric in mind for the culottes and the blouses? The trial culotte I've made was made of a stretchy type of cotton (or something similar, they don't list the type of fabric at the market and I'm not the best of judges at that sort of thing).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#29 2008-03-27 12:39:36

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

Cool! As I said, there's no real hurry yet.

By the way, did you have any particular types of fabric in mind for the culottes and the blouses? The trial culotte I've made was made of a stretchy type of cotton (or something similar, they don't list the type of fabric at the market and I'm not the best of judges at that sort of thing).

A lightweight wool gaberdine or wool crepe would be really nice, both for warmth and resistence to wrinkling.  (wiki's article on crepe really sucked so I didn't link it).

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer

#30 2008-03-27 12:44:50

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I promised my best friend I'd sew her a costume for medieval fairs as a birthday present (probably something rather similar to my own dress) - but we still haven't found the time to buy fabric.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#31 2008-03-27 13:16:26

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hmm, I'm not quite sure if I'd recognize those now. But I can probably find something that is supple, warm and doesn't wrinkle soon.

I just wish there was some way to communicate about the colours. (As blue is a rather wide range.)

Scrollbearer

#32 2008-03-27 13:36:24

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

Hmm, I'm not quite sure if I'd recognize those now. But I can probably find something that is supple, warm and doesn't wrinkle soon.

That sounds about right.  Something fairly thin too, for the culottes ~ so you don't end up with big bunches of fabric around the waist.  As for the blouses, I have it stuck in my head that they would be ivory (off-white) and of a silky fabric.  I have lots and lots of ivory silk crepe-de-chine that I can send you, if you want.

Sahi wrote:

I just wish there was some way to communicate about the colours. (As blue is a rather wide range.)

I don't think this will be much of a problem.  The corsets will be black with bronze edging.  So long as the blouse and culotte colors aren't so dark they end up blending in with the black of the corsets, it'll be fine.

Last edited by cyan (2008-03-27 13:45:39)

Scrollbearer

#33 2008-03-27 14:42:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm most likely to pick out something bright anyway. :)

And for the ivory blouse fabric, you might want to find out first how much it will cost to send it to me... It might just be cheaper to buy it here. (But maybe it isn't, won't find out until we look into it.)

Scrollbearer

#34 2008-03-28 10:42:21

cyan
Mantis

It occurs to me that the silk crepe-de-chine might be a little too difficut to work with, both in the cutting and sewing, as it is very slippery.  But I believe I still have a large quantity of ivory rayon faille, which would work great for the blouses also.  Shipping a 3-lb package would cost me around US$25 ($20 euro, I think), and I can put the patterns in the package also.

Scrollbearer

#35 2008-03-29 02:32:39

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well if the amount of fabric you need to send fits within that weight, go ahead and send it. Buying fabric for blouses would definitely cost as much.

Scrollbearer

#36 2008-03-29 02:47:18

cyan
Mantis

I just checked, I only have enough for two blouses, not three.  Bah.  Of the ivory faille, that is.

Scrollbearer

#37 2008-03-29 02:51:37

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hmm, pity. I just wish I knew more about fabrics. Hmm, I might see if the library has any books on the subject, but I doubt that would really help me much.

Scrollbearer

#38 2008-03-29 02:54:58

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

Hmm, pity. I just wish I knew more about fabrics. Hmm, I might see if the library has any books on the subject, but I doubt that would really help me much.

It would help to a certain extent.  But without the tactile experience, the help is limited.

Scrollbearer

#39 2008-03-29 02:55:57

cyan
Mantis

However, I can certainly send you samples of what to look/feel for!

Scrollbearer

#40 2008-03-29 03:01:33

Sahi
Mantis
Website

That might work. Then I can go look if I can find more of the faille. I'll trust your judgment on the crepe the chine being hard to work with.

Scrollbearer

#41 2008-03-29 03:02:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*LOL* I suddenly had the thought of making one of those tactile books they have for little children, only for learning about fabrics instead.

Scrollbearer

#42 2008-03-29 03:08:30

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

*LOL* I suddenly had the thought of making one of those tactile books they have for little children, only for learning about fabrics instead.

That's not a bad idea!  I remember my textiles classes ~ not only did we have to be able to identify the fiber content by touch (and sometimes, burn tests), we had to recognize weaves and loom processes also.

Scrollbearer

#43 2008-03-29 03:10:50

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm glad I went into IT then. *has never really liked learning stuff by heart*

Scrollbearer

#44 2008-03-29 03:13:03

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

I'm glad I went into IT then. *has never really liked learning stuff by heart*

LOL!

It's really not that much different, you just build different skills.

Scrollbearer

#45 2008-03-29 03:28:35

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yeah, but in IT you can usually steal whatever you need from someone else. And if not you can always just look it up in a book. ;)

Anyway, back to fabrics. I'll probably go by the market this afternoon. Not planning on buying any fabrics, but I might just pick up some tools.

Scrollbearer

#46 2008-03-29 03:30:56

cyan
Mantis

But when might you visit Libra again for measurement taking?  That's what I'm awaiting to proceed with my patternmaking and adjusting part.

Scrollbearer

#47 2008-03-29 03:46:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh oops, quite forgot. I was supposed to have gone to her last weekend, but she got ill and I didn't go. We have no new plans yet. And I'll probably have to redo the crotch and hip measurements, as the culotte didn't quite turn out the way I expected. (The elastic is a bit lower than I'd expected. Seeing how I wanted to have it at my waist, it's no problem, as I usually wear my clothes a bit lower anyway.)

Scrollbearer

#48 2008-03-29 03:50:40

cyan
Mantis

Sahi wrote:

And I'll probably have to redo the crotch and hip measurements, as the culotte didn't quite turn out the way I expected. (The elastic is a bit lower than I'd expected. Seeing how I wanted to have it at my waist, it's no problem, as I usually wear my clothes a bit lower anyway.)

I don't quite understand... 

Did the crotch fall lower because you're used to wearing your clothes lower, or did you feel you had to wear the culottes lower (and thus the elastic hit lower than your natural waist) because the crotch depth was too short?

Scrollbearer

#49 2008-03-29 11:14:57

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The crotch depth was too short, so I have to wear it lower. My mom already gave me some advice to make it look better (to either trim away the leftover fabric and zigzag very close to the seam or to cut notches from it). She also said it might be a good idea to have some pockets.

By the way, are those two kind of fabrics close in color? It might also be an option if you first make your own blouse of the crepe the chine and then send the pattern and the faille to me... Seeing how we're already not having the same blouses (I'm assuming Libra still preferred the other one), we might as well all have a different one.

Scrollbearer

#50 2008-03-30 10:17:36

cyan
Mantis

Patterns have been ordered!

@ Sahi: for the crotch seam, I usually reinforce this seam by sewing a second row of stitches very very close to the first.  Then yes, you can zig-zag, then trim the excess fabric or notch.  But instead of re-doing the whole pattern, you just can add length at the top (at the waistline).  There is plenty of ease in the pattern that this will not alter the look of the culotte.  And yes, both the crepe-de-chine and the faille are ivory so your suggestion is a very good one!  I'll do that!

Scrollbearer

Board footer