Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Quiller's Mint T-Shirt Design Contest!!!!

#1 2008-02-29 12:14:05

cyan
Mantis

Quiller's Mint T-Shirt Design Contest!!!!

ETA:  Hello all!  New details added, please read!

It’s about time we had an 'official' Quiller's Mint t-shirt!

I'm thinking a graphic on the front, and simply 'www.tadwilliams.com' on the back, and I'd like to hold a contest for the graphic design part.  Since all things TWMB belongs to Tad, I asked him for permission - to hold the contest and to reproduce the t-shirts.  Tad, being the awesome and generous Dog that he is, very kindly agreed.  :-D  He also said:

Remind them, if I haven't already mentioned it, that the original name of the inn/pub was probably "The Queen's Lament", in case someone wants to incorporate that or an image of that into their design.

So Here It Is.

I figure the contest itself would run much like the 'Rite' giveaway contest - everyone who wants to can submit a design, and everyone gets to vote.  The design with the most votes wins, and becomes the ‘official’ Quiller’s Mint T-Shirt Design.  The winner also receives a free t-shirt (which I’m happy to fund).

As to getting the actual t-shirt, there's this really neat site - www.cafepress.com - where you can send them your graphics file and they'll print it on a whatever garment you choose from their site (they offer various style t-shirts, tank tops, sweats shirts, etc.).  It just seems the easiest way to go for this sort of endeavor, since anyone can order their own t-shirt from the site, and no one needs to put up an outlay of cash to start it.  If anyone has a better suggestion, please speak up!

There are some ground rules, of course:

1)  Winner agrees to allow everyone to use his/her design to order their t-shirts.  I know this seems self-evident, but it should be stated anyway.

2)  Anyone who gets a copy of said design agrees to use it solely for the purpose of obtaining their own t-shirt.  No other use is allowed without the express permission of the winner.

3)  Because of ownership issues, participants should prolly only post a link to their design submission.

4) Deadline for submissions is 3 months from today!  That's... um...  June 4, 08.

5) There's a 3 week voting period, so that means June 5 - June 26, 2008. 

6) Since S'marchers are a disparate group, your design should work on any color background, or submit dark- and light- background versions of your design.

7)  Each person/group is allowed a limit of 3 design submissions.

8) Group submissions are allowed; if a group submission wins, the group will receive one shirt per person up to a maximum of 3 persons/t-shirts.  If there are more than 3 people in the winning group, you'll have to decide amongst yourselves who gets the 3 free t-shirts.

No doubt there are other things I’ve not thought of yet.  I'll rely on you lovely S’marchers to point those things out to me ;-)

PS: It would be SOOO cool to see the S'march contingent decked out in Quiller's Mint t-shirts at the World Fantasy Convention in Calgary later this year!

Last edited by cyan (2008-03-04 23:59:19)

Lily: "... .... There is a lot of bad sex in the world. There is also a lot of bad food in the world. If you are starving and have the choice between bad food and no food, you should choose the bad food. If you have the choice between bad sex and no sex, you should choose the no sex."
Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade
Photos of My Works

#2 2008-02-29 12:22:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: Quiller's Mint T-Shirt Design Contest!!!!

wow, that's a very cool idea, cyan! I don't usually wear T-shirts (or anything else) with writing or pictures on it, but that's one I'd wear proudly!

I don't think I can come up with any designs, though :(

Scrollbearer
Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it- memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey.

babbling about books and plants

#3 2008-02-29 12:32:17

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

bwahahahaha! awesome!

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#4 2008-02-29 12:33:54

cyan
Mantis

It just occurred to me that maybe this thread should be moved to the 'Art' forum.

Lily: "... .... There is a lot of bad sex in the world. There is also a lot of bad food in the world. If you are starving and have the choice between bad food and no food, you should choose the bad food. If you have the choice between bad sex and no sex, you should choose the no sex."
Scrollbearer
Photos of My Works

#5 2008-02-29 12:52:15

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

*magicks*

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#6 2008-02-29 14:19:01

cyan
Mantis

*bows to the awesome powers of hierarchs*

Scrollbearer
Photos of My Works

#7 2008-02-29 15:37:03

Genisis X
Pilgrim
Website

My god! Good idea.

-X

To quote Hamlet, act III, scene iii, line 87, 'no'

#8 2008-03-01 03:13:06

Hiragana
Pilgrim

Maybe instead of saying one submission per person, you could have a limit of submissions for like 2-3 per person. And umm, then let the designs speak for themselves.

Also, maybe set up a flickr or picasa gallery where all the entries can be viewed and so people can vote?

That would be cool.

#9 2008-03-01 03:15:11

cyan
Mantis

Hiragana wrote:

Maybe instead of saying one submission per person, you could have a limit of submissions for like 2-3 per person. And umm, then let the designs speak for themselves.

Also, maybe set up a flickr or picasa gallery where all the entries can be viewed and so people can vote?

Aha!  Excellent suggestions, thank you!  *huggles*

Scrollbearer
Photos of My Works

#10 2008-03-01 07:09:40

strangeshe
Hierarch

I love this idea, cyan!! Cool.

I'm not much of an artist, myself, but if an idea presents itself....

#11 2008-03-01 11:46:41

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I wish I had something resembling artist talent. I have a picture of The Queen's Lament in my mind. (Not to brag, but that name was my suggestion way back when Tad asked what the name of the Mint - before it was the Mint - should be. Which reminds me, Tad. You owe us a story about the Queen's Lament and why the Mint was called that to begin with.)

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#12 2008-03-01 13:59:03

strangeshe
Hierarch

Seitherin wrote:

I wish I had something resembling artist talent. I have a picture of The Queen's Lament in my mind. (Not to brag, but that name was my suggestion way back when Tad asked what the name of the Mint - before it was the Mint - should be. Which reminds me, Tad. You owe us a story about the Queen's Lament and why the Mint was called that to begin with.)

I'm so glad you said that. I was thinking about it yesterday, pretty sure you were the one who came up with the name but I'd not taken time to do a search to confirm my sieve-y memory.

And you're right: Tad did promise to tell us that story one of these days. I wonder if he'll work it into the books.... We must badger.

(badger badger badger badger...)

*eg*

#13 2008-03-01 14:00:25

Magpie
Mantis
Website

strangeshe wrote:

*eg*

hh. Today I'm listening to music alreay, so my mind is unable to start "badger"ing.

Scrollbearer
Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it- memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey.

babbling about books and plants

#14 2008-03-01 20:08:42

Hiragana
Pilgrim

strangeshe wrote:

*eg*

Mushroom, MUSHROOM!

Okay, this thread has been officially de-railed.

I suspect certain denizens of the Mint will want to make tshirts of doom.

*sagenod*

#15 2008-03-02 05:43:22

Genisis X
Pilgrim
Website

Its a snake! A snaaaaaaake!

-X

#16 2008-03-02 06:35:52

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#17 2008-03-02 06:41:35

Em
Mantis

Asps. Very dangerous. You go first.

#18 2008-03-02 07:17:40

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

A pretty simple design...I realize that Cyan was probably looking for an original peice of art for the front but i'm lazy haha...

T-Shirt - http://i30.tinypic.com/f4oikz.jpg
Front - http://i26.tinypic.com/vd353d.jpg
Back - http://i30.tinypic.com/2ikd4w2.jpg

#19 2008-03-02 08:13:40

cyan
Mantis

Seitherin wrote:

You can always team up with someone with artsy-talents, that's what I'm doing!

Story?  *perks*

Scrollbearer
Photos of My Works

#20 2008-03-02 08:15:27

cyan
Mantis

Neemo wrote:

A pretty simple design...I realize that Cyan was probably looking for an original peice of art for the front but i'm lazy haha...

T-Shirt - http://i30.tinypic.com/f4oikz.jpg
Front - http://i26.tinypic.com/vd353d.jpg
Back - http://i30.tinypic.com/2ikd4w2.jpg

Should I consider this your submission, Neemo?  I think you may need to ask Tad's permission to use his graphics.

Does this mean you prefer a white t-shirt to a black one?

Scrollbearer
Photos of My Works

#21 2008-03-02 09:50:22

Neemo
Pilgrim
Website

no not really i never really expected it to be taken seriously, i threw it together in about 20 minutes, i dont really have time unfortunately to create an image for the front and make a proper submission

as for using tad's graphics, i just thought it would be funny to replace "message board" with "tshirt" ... but yeah there is nothing really original about it ... even the slogan on the back is taken directly from the board ... haha (if its a big no-no i sincerely apologise and please feel free to remove the links)

as for the colour ... i've been part of the shirt design process before at another site, one where i'm a mod, and the white shirts are much cheaper than the black or coloured ones ... but i dunno how much of a part that plays into members here *peace*

Last edited by Neemo (2008-03-02 09:52:05)

#22 2008-03-02 16:46:34

Genisis X
Pilgrim
Website

#23 2008-03-02 17:33:50

Em
Mantis

Genisis X wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/GenisisX/TWMB/photo#5173294538073679826

Hehehe!

-X

Cute, very cute!!!! *scribbles on the wall*

#24 2008-03-02 17:53:30

Genisis X
Pilgrim
Website

Thankee. I was just messing about in Illustrator and I thought the squiggle looked cool. :P

-X

#25 2008-03-02 20:45:07

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

Genisis X wrote:

http://picasaweb.google.com/GenisisX/TWMB/photo#5173294538073679826

Hehehe!

-X

*lol* awesome. (of doom.)

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Quiller's Mint T-Shirt Design Contest!!!!

Board footer