Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-03-27 12:00:51

Em
Mantis

Re: Through the Looking Glass - All Things Photography

sisterdew wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Wow, those are beautiful pics, Gen!

i can only say that about your pictures(you've got the most beautiful flowers,when i'm grown up and rich and live in a castel,i'd like you to be my gardener:) ),
whenever i try to open a picasa-page,firefox shuts down:(

When you get ready to build a castle, contact these people Sisterdew: Castle Magic

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#52 2008-03-27 12:02:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

some of my pictures (and no plants for a change)....

first of all: crazy weather!

And from last weekend: Easter bonfire just after it was lit (it's hard to make out in the picture, but there is a chair on top of the pile, which belonged to our host's mother-in-law... and I'll leave you to guess what that means. ;) )
And I particularly like this one, taken later that night.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#53 2008-03-27 16:31:20

Genisis X
Pilgrim

@sisterdew: ohnoes! Your missing out on all the purdy pictures :(

@magpie: that one of the bonfire by itself is fantastic! And snow! *brrrrrrr* :P

It's about 14*c here at the moment and I have to keep warming my hands up. A couple of years on the coast and I can't deal with anything close to cold weather :P

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#54 2008-03-28 02:50:17

Genisis X
Pilgrim

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#55 2008-03-28 12:05:23

Musa
Pilgrim

Hey those pictures are very nice!  I really like them.

"Let's cha cha!"

#56 2008-03-28 16:57:16

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Thankee!

I really like the one of the tree, even if I blatantly stole the idea from another guy >->

:P

-X

-Magpie

#57 2008-03-28 17:53:00

Em
Mantis

#58 2008-03-29 20:33:46

Genisis X
Pilgrim

That water looks awesome em. really cool reflections.

Anywho, I was running around the farm earlier snapping some macro pics for a weekend competition on another forum and came away with six good ones.

http://picasaweb.google.com/GenisisX/Ma … dCX3oh4VCY

The one of the sunflower is the bestest I think.

-X

-Magpie

#59 2008-04-02 21:25:41

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

so i was in downtown rochester yesterday

http://diesira.livejournal.com/49604.html

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#60 2008-04-02 22:41:59

cyan
Mantis

I went and ordered a digital camera a couple days ago, mostly to document my works for the Blue Tailor thread, but I imagine there'll be an interesting shot now and again worthy of sharing here as well. ;-)

wiked:  Sweet!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#61 2008-04-03 01:49:41

Genisis X
Pilgrim

cyan wrote:

I went and ordered a digital camera a couple days ago, mostly to document my works for the Blue Tailor thread, but I imagine there'll be an interesting shot now and again worthy of sharing here as well. ;-)

wiked:  Sweet!

Mwahaha! I have snared another one. My plans for world domination continue!

@wiked: Nice photo's! the middle one is great.

-X

-Magpie

#62 2008-04-05 17:17:02

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I've been taking a couple of pictures of the Traun river on my last biking tour and walk in the forest:
Looking down from the bridge
Looking across the river.
Looking across again.

This sight made me laugh a little.

I also took a few pictures of the forest, but they don't look too great (think I've got some better ones from last year), but the forest was very pretty, the ground covered in flowers, white, yellow and purple.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#63 2008-04-13 11:41:31

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I've just been looking through the pictures my brother has taken with the camera he got for Christmas. It's just a silly children's camera, so the quality isn't very good, and he mostly takes pictures of completely random things, but some pictures are so weird that they're sort of pretty again - I kind of like the perspective on the fork, and the lighting on the Ludisia (orchid), and the stairs look just creepy!

- Tad

#64 2008-04-13 14:16:56

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Time to post some more pics...

Here's some (I thought well-succeeded) flame-thrower pics:

http://picasaweb.google.nl/Libradimple/ … XmlDHLr9jI

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#65 2008-04-13 14:20:38

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Pretty, Libra!

*bounces around and calls, "Dustfinger! Dustfinger!"*

- Tad

#66 2008-04-14 18:50:43

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#67 2008-04-20 07:26:15

Genisis X
Pilgrim

http://picasaweb.google.com.au/GenisisX … 4063244594

A shot of a windmill I took a couple of weeks ago.

-X

-Magpie

#68 2008-04-21 12:06:29

Magpie
Mantis
Website

As mentioned in another thread, I had a long, ...special conversation with my father yesterday. One of the topics was his decision to resign from his job (he’s a photographer, but working mostly in development).
And some of his thoughts… well, I just wanted to share them.
“I wanted to learn a craft, I wanted to work with my head and my hands. And as a photographer, I could do that, I could make beautiful pictures. But it’s no longer the profession that I learned. With digital photography, all I do nowadays is sitting in front of the computer. And that’s not what I want to do. I don’t want to spend 8 or 9 hours a day in a windowless room, typing and clicking. What my boss needs, and what he wants me to be, is a printer. And that’s not what I am.”

“I remember a photographer who took a shotgun and fired it at a roll of film. It made amazing pictures, with the light entering through the shot holes and spreading… And now you’ve got people with a digital camera who tell you they’ve shot a picture.”

Even to me, photography has lost its magic. I remember, when I was little, I went to work with him sometimes, and he took me into the darkroom and stuff, and it was all very special and wonderful. He’d take pictures of us, or of special things  and develop them himself, play around with them…(I love the wrong-colour pictures of the orchid he and Mama got at their wedding. I’ve got two of them on my bedroom wall.)
But now? Now I’m taking pictures myself and put them on my computer, and if I want them on paper, I can either print them myself or send them to the shop to have them printed there.  Printed.
No more magic.
(And I'm kind of scared that the same will happen to me one day. There's not much in a market garden that can't be automated. Sowing, watering, potting... there are machines for all these things.)

- Tad

#69 2008-05-04 07:54:21

Em
Mantis

The Magnolia tree in our front yard has started to bloom.

The smell is outrageous.

#70 2008-05-04 08:55:41

Em
Mantis

Magpie - the ability to take pictures with a camera and develop them yourself still exists. Its just the world of photography has been expanded to include digital photography.

My grandfather was a photographer; only worked in black-and-white. Complained the same way about color.

I see it as there are now more choices. The old ones and the new ones. It is up to you to choose.

#71 2008-05-04 22:04:23

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Had to take a photo of a Diamond Ring that one of mum's friends is selling. Thought it came out rather nicely, I did.

-X

-Magpie

#72 2008-05-05 00:13:11

Hiragana
Pilgrim

You do very well with macro photography, Gen. I like the ring picture!

I posted a series of pics @ my blog :)

Last edited by Hiragana (2008-09-24 08:23:54)

#73 2008-05-05 02:50:47

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Thankee!

Also, I like what you did with the light in those photo's.

-X

-Magpie

#74 2008-05-05 03:03:58

Hiragana
Pilgrim

That was actually a smudge on the lens that I kept on purpose. I know it's kinda cheating but I figured that one out when I was in Sydney (not on purpose) and I got the most ethereal lighting from a smudge. Needless to say I cleaned the lens afterwards :D

#75 2008-05-05 06:16:42

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Hiragana wrote:

That was actually a smudge on the lens that I kept on purpose. I know it's kinda cheating but I figured that one out when I was in Sydney (not on purpose) and I got the most ethereal lighting from a smudge. Needless to say I cleaned the lens afterwards :D

It's not cheating. Photographers have used all kinds of tricks similar to that. I remember when I made a pinhole camera in art and stuffed the pinhole it created a really warped and distorted photo. It looked absolutely cool. My goddamn art teacher threw it out even though I said I wanted to keep it.

*mutters something about those that can't do teach...*

Anywho, back to the point people have been doing things like moving the camera during exposure, shooting through a vessel of liquid et cetera for as long as photography has been around.

Photography is an art, and in art there is no right or wrong so, therefore, there can be no such thing as cheating.

-X

-Magpie

Board footer