Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2008-01-22 18:54:07

Kianor
Banned

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Sadalian wrote:

Sherman likes me a lot.

but not as much as he liked my leg...

#52 2008-01-22 19:01:39

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

Kianor wrote:

Sadalian wrote:

Sherman likes me a lot.

here i was thinking i was going to get one night undisturbed sleep, and then there you go painting that image on my mind

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#53 2008-01-22 19:19:50

Sadalian
Pilgrim

Kianor wrote:

Sadalian wrote:

Sherman likes me a lot.

He liked my arm.

Last edited by Sadalian (2008-01-22 19:23:19)

#54 2008-01-22 19:35:41

strangeshe
Hierarch

Miiru wrote:

Somewhere, there is a photograph of Tad wearing my pirate hat.

I am immensely proud of this fact.

You mean this one??

*eg*

#55 2008-01-22 19:39:03

Sadalian
Pilgrim

The strong lighting on Tad makes him look like a cardboard cut out.

#56 2008-01-22 19:49:49

strangeshe
Hierarch

*L* yeah, and whoever's behind him taking a picture looks a little like they're getting ready to poke him in the ear, too....

That's a shot of Tad in Miiru's pirate hat at breakfast in Denny's in Anaheim, CA at World Con '06. The sun glare was pretty rough that morning.

(Gigi's at the table behind Tad looking at a camera(?). SirTessa (Shadows & Ice) is in the red shirt with her back to the camera behind Tad, and Kiema's elbow made the picture too. I want to say that's Miiru's hand next to Tad's ear, but I can't recall for certain.)

And... SADALIAN!!! *snugs* Good to see you again. (Happy belated Birthday, too!)

[edit for truly horrific sentence construction. heh]

Last edited by strangeshe (2008-01-22 19:53:00)

#57 2008-01-23 04:53:43

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

That's the picture, and yes, that's my hand. *g*

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#58 2008-01-23 20:23:07

cyan
Mantis

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

cyan wrote:

I guess I should introduce myself also...

I'm cyan: single, no children, no pets ~ unless you count my bf (with whom I live) as he alternately plays the role of all three...  spouse, child, and pet, that is ;-)

*sniggers*

Poor bf..... and he spends so much time thinking up those bedtime stories.....

He tries to spin a yarn, I just knit them, hee!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#59 2008-01-23 23:07:12

Grinth
Pilgrim
Website

Firs wrote:

Poor Grinth.... I wish you the best of luck finding a good job in the film industy. I've heard it's hard to (properly) get into.

No pun intended?  :P

It can be hard, yes, and that's the kicker.  I had done everything right an had my ticket to go through the door, as it were.  If it weren't for the strike I would have been hired on full-time by the company I was interning at.  Ah well, all things happen for a reason...besides it gives me an excuse to go work at Borders so I can get a discount on books.

"Your knowledge of scientific biological transmogrification is only outmatched by your zest for kung-fu treachery!" -Black Dynamite

#60 2008-01-23 23:23:18

Zim28
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I am Dan.  Due to being half lurker, I missed the move here until now, though I knew it was coming of course.  So I had no problem lurking on over.  I have been around since Guthwulf's board, though I can't always recall what I posted under.   On Smarch, I was able to use my real name, Dan, as my display name, even though Zim28 was what I logged on with.

I've been reading Tad since I was about 15 and got a copy of The Stone of Farewell from the Science Fiction Book Club.  Little did I know when I ordered it, that it was a book two.  I then had to order The Dragonbone Chair.   Instantly hooked, I was, and the wait for TGAT to be published was tough.

As for myself, I'm in my very early 30s, I want to stress early.  I am currently a Network Administrator for a mid sized lawfirm.  I went into the Navy right out of high school for five years.  I was a Seabee, which is the Navy and Marine's construction force.  We flew everywhere we went, so I never got to go on a boat.  I have been to Spain, Portugal, Sicilly, Guam, Hungary, Croatia, and Bosnia.  After I got out of the Navy I got an associate's degree in Computer Science, and then my bachelor's degree in technical project management.

I love reading, comics, video games, movies, quality television (quality being the operative word there), all kinds of music though most of the time you'll find either Social Distortion or Tool in my cd player(I also play the guitar a bit and its tough since I appear to be rythemically challenged), I like watching and participating in sports (Go Cardinals!), I like the riding of dirtbikes and doing dangerous things on them that send me to the hospital, (ok the going to the hospital thing really isn't that fun), horseback riding (no gasoline required), and of course I enjoy spending time with friends and family.   I'm sure there are many other things I like as well but failed to mention.  I like sleeping for instance, and I should be doing that now.  Tomorrow is going to be at least a two cup of coffee day for me.

Finally, I like to consider myself awesome. ;)

Last edited by Zim28 (2008-01-24 00:01:06)

I was "Dan" back on Shadowmarch.

#61 2008-01-23 23:30:44

JustCharlotte
Pilgrim

*crawls out from under the lurkers rock*  I'm Charlotte.  I used to post a little more than I do now.  In fact this post is my 1699th post.  I am posting at the speedy average of 1.2 posts a day, so maybe I'll make 1700 any day now.  Sadly it seems that it will take 3.4 years of posting at my current rate to make 1800!  *L*

Funnily enough I enjoy reading Tad's books.  M, S and T is right up there in my all time favourites list and I really loved participating in the re-read that finished a year and a half ago.  I am an ESL (English as a second language) teacher, which explains why I rarely post anymore - I spend all day in the classroom.  Plus there is the small problem that there are only two computers for 10 instructors, so there is not a lot of free time to post at work.  I am also training to participate in a women's duathlon (not as cool as it sounds - it's a mini one designed to get inactive people of the couch!) so once I've exercised after work and eaten, I tend to fall exhausted into bed.

Right now I live in Auckland, New Zealand.  If anyone ever travels this way I'd be glad to show you around.  :-)

This has been my longest post in ages and the next one might not be for a while either........

#62 2008-01-24 06:38:30

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Ooh, Charlotte! I have to ask this of all my Auckland friends - are you at the club the Les Mills classes come from?

#63 2008-01-24 07:45:59

Stuart
Pilgrim

Just to draw a line, I've never met Sherman, though I have seen Click, but I do believe he likes Reptar best.

...- --- - . / .-.. .. .-.. -.-- !

#64 2008-01-24 20:33:13

egglady
Pilgrim

Hi, I'm a VERY new member. I have been reading Tad for years and, I guess you could say, lurkng. So this is my first post, please forgive me if I do this wrong.
My name is Mia, I make Pysanky eggs and am making a Tailchaser Pysanky.
I have 6 cats .

no matter where you go, there you are.

#65 2008-01-24 21:36:14

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

egglady wrote:

Hi, I'm a VERY new member. I have been reading Tad for years and, I guess you could say, lurkng. So this is my first post, please forgive me if I do this wrong.
My name is Mia, I make Pysanky eggs and am making a Tailchaser Pysanky.
I have 6 cats .

NEW BLOOD! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem* sorry.

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#66 2008-01-24 21:37:01

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

Zim28 wrote:

Finally, I like to consider myself awesome. ;)

what a coincidence! i'm awesome too! ;)

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#67 2008-01-24 23:57:39

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome aboard egglady!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#68 2008-01-25 01:41:19

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

egglady wrote:

I have 6 cats .

One of us! One of uuuuuuus!

Welcome to Tad-dom. :)

-wiked
-bandit

#69 2008-01-25 02:55:15

Kel
Pilgrim

Hello, everyone. First, a little history of my Tad Williams reading experience:

In my first year of high school the HOD for English recommended several fantasy series' to me, only two of which I can recall; Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, and A Song of Ice and Fire. MST stayed in the back of my mind for almost seven years until I chanced upon a badly bound copy of Shadowmarch in the storeroom of the department store I worked in. I bought this for the princely sum of $2, trimmed the pages that stuck out below the bottom of the book and read the first chapter, but my attention was called to other things. A year later I read through Shadowmarch in its entirety and I was hooked. As Shadowplay had not been released yet, I remembered that MST had been recommended to me all those years ago. I immediately went to the bookstore and bought The Dragonbone Chair and have been working my way through the series ever since. I finished it two days ago and am now waiting for my partner to finish Otherland (which I have yet to start), so she can read TGAT and discuss it with me because I am bursting with spoilers.

I am in my early twenties, live in New Zealand and have been a fantasy fan since I first read The Lord of the Rings at thirteen.

Our spirit was here long before you,
Long before us,
And long will it be after your pride brings you to your end

#70 2008-01-25 03:13:17

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome to the boards! Pity you just missed the migration from the Shadowmarch boards; you're one of the few people I've heard of who come to Tad via Shadowmarch first. :)

-wiked
-bandit

#71 2008-01-25 03:56:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome aboard Kel!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#72 2008-01-25 04:19:17

ylvs
Mantis

Time for me to post here I think.

Hello or hello again I'm ylvs.

my first Tad book was Dragonbone chair which my Dad gave me someday in the early nineties. my father is doing really well in finding good books but this was one of his best findings ever! Now he's always getting jealous when I have another book to read while he has to wait another year for the translation.
I found Smarch through the note in Otherland IV, registered immediatly, read Smarch the online book (still the only thing I ever used my paypal account for), was a regular lurker on the board whith just a few posts here and there until my sister moved to California and I wanted to visit her andf needed some touristic advice for the bay area. I got loads ... met cyan ... and found a virtual home here. I met Tad three or four times when he was book touring Germany and was quite used to see him once a year (Do I hear envious snorts?) but somehow he stopped coming over regulary. I guess I should complain to his publishers!

I'n the so called real world I'm married, have two wonderful and annoying daughters, six and two years old . This is the birthday thread of the younger one. I'm a historian by profession but currently living the peaceful but exhausting life of a housewife and mother.
I live in Kassel, right in the middle of Germany, a city best known for the fact that the Brothers Grimm collected their fairytales here. I recently moved to a shiny new house (well to be honsest it's almost 100 years old but who cares) with lots of space.

If you ever pass by let me know and meet me, smarchly meetings are ever so nice cause Smarchers are the weirdest and best bunch ever!!

*is happy to be part of it*

*doubts that anyone has read this far*

#73 2008-01-25 06:08:53

strangeshe
Hierarch

Welcome, Mia. You did just fine. We're glad you're here!

And Welcome, Kel!

Very nice to have new folks joining us.

#74 2008-01-25 10:07:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

welcome egglady and Kel!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#75 2008-01-25 11:12:30

fangler
Pilgrim

Yay to egglady and kel for being brave enough to post amongst all these weirdos. And by weirdos i mean funny and kind people who enjoy each others company and the writings of Tad as well as salmon smitings and rhubarb.

i am fangler. i like tv. a lot. i also like other things but they really don't compare to my tv. i have been a poster since the shadowmarch experiment started. i found out about the boards when i joined a new company that had zero clients and all i had to do all day was browse the internet. i was looking for some new books to read and decided to google some of my favorite authors to see if anything new had come out. when i googled tad, i found smarch and a way to make my workday flow fast. hooray! i occasionally disdain capital letters and often like to drive-by post. i've met many people on this board in real life and can attest to the fact that they are as cool or crazy in person as they are on here. meaning everyone so far has been real and not some 86 year old grandma posing as a 12 year old boy. although if there is an 86 year old grandma on here, i'd really like to meet her. grandmas are hot. i am married to an amazing mrs. fangler and we have two wonderful little fanglerettes. well, mostly wonderful. ok, sometimes wonderful. fine, they are usually out of control monsters, but what can i say, they take after their father.

Board footer