Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#676 2017-07-27 20:21:58

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Diorna wrote:

Hello from Switzerland!

I am a little sorry to say, that I am an irregular long time lurker. I read mostly Osten Ard related stuff, when I had questions, inconsistencies of the timeline or something like that. I never registered, because ... at first it was a decision not to endanger my thesis-writing with another procrastination-excuse and after that it became sort of weird to stick my head out of the shadows. But now!

Welcome, Diorna! We're glad to have you.

Growing up I had the luxury of a library truck stopping right in front of our house. One of the librarians was a friend of mine, singing in the same choir. She used to put books aside for me she thought I might like (even gave some sorted out ones to me, when she knew that it was me who had read them to pieces ...) and when I was 13, she gave me DBC :) That was 1995. (And for the lazy among you: I am 35 now.) On my first attempt I got lost in the tunnels. I felt that chapter would never end and put the book aside for a while. When I was mature enough to understand that this feeling was intended, I made it through and that series is my favorite ever since. I read most of the other books as well, even own the German Otherland Hörspiel, but Osten Ard is closest to my heart.

*runs straight to the WTC discussion thread*
:)

I discovered DBC in a library, too. :) But I have never experienced a library truck.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#677 2017-07-27 23:16:53

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Diorna!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#678 2017-07-28 01:36:34

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome Diorna, I see you jumped right into the fray :)

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#679 2017-07-28 09:20:09

ylvs
Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I discovered DBC in a library, too. :) But I have never experienced a library truck.

Welcome to the boards Diorna!

The library truck brought me through childhood and early teens. Every Wednesday it stopped down the street and I was there. Did not find DBC threre though because it was not written then ...

#680 2017-07-28 09:21:39

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Welcome Diorna, I see you jumped right into the fray :)

Frey? Why'd you have to bring them up?!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#681 2017-07-28 09:22:45

ylvs
Mantis

As they're all dead anyway ...

#682 2018-01-20 15:42:55

writer6
Pilgrim

Hi! After talking to Tad's wife, Deborah, and several other fans of his books on Twitter (I'm @writer6 on Twitter) for the past several months, as well as reading people's posts discussing the Last King of Osten Ard series on this forum for the past month or so, I finally decided to join. :)

I discovered Tad Williams' books several months ago when I saw copies of The Witchwood Crown on display at Barnes & Noble. I bought it on a whim, but I ultimately ended up reading The Heart of What Was Lost first after Tad's wife, Deborah, recommended that I read it before reading The Witchwood Crown. I loved The Heart of What Was Lost, and I ended up loving The Witchwood Crown even more. I'm highly anticipating the release of Empire of Grass. :) I've actually been listening to Tad's books on audiobook, and I've decided to listen to the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series on audiobook as a way to not only tide myself over until Empire of Grass is released, but also get caught up on the world of Osten Ard. I'm about a third of the way into The Dragonbone Chair at the moment, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's pretty safe to say that Tad Williams has officially become my favorite author within the fantasy genre. :) Finally, I just want to say that I'm beyond thrilled to have found a place where I can talk to other fans of Tad Williams about his books. :)

#683 2018-01-20 15:52:24

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

Hi there, writer6! Welcome to the boards!

#684 2018-01-20 16:14:51

ylvs
Mantis

Welcome to the boards writer6. A pleasure to lure someone in from the twitterverse!
The local pub and center of chatter and sillynes is the Quiller's Mint and the rest is pretty self explanatory. I hope you like it here. But you prolly will being a newly converted Taddict ...

#685 2018-01-20 18:48:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Welcome, Writer6!

writer6 wrote:

Hi! After talking to Tad's wife, Deborah, and several other fans of his books on Twitter (I'm @writer6 on Twitter) for the past several months, as well as reading people's posts discussing the Last King of Osten Ard series on this forum for the past month or so, I finally decided to join. :)

I discovered Tad Williams' books several months ago when I saw copies of The Witchwood Crown on display at Barnes & Noble. I bought it on a whim, but I ultimately ended up reading The Heart of What Was Lost first after Tad's wife, Deborah, recommended that I read it before reading The Witchwood Crown. I loved The Heart of What Was Lost, and I ended up loving The Witchwood Crown even more. I'm highly anticipating the release of Empire of Grass. :) I've actually been listening to Tad's books on audiobook, and I've decided to listen to the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series on audiobook as a way to not only tide myself over until Empire of Grass is released, but also get caught up on the world of Osten Ard. I'm about a third of the way into The Dragonbone Chair at the moment, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's pretty safe to say that Tad Williams has officially become my favorite author within the fantasy genre. :) Finally, I just want to say that I'm beyond thrilled to have found a place where I can talk to other fans of Tad Williams about his books. :)

We're glad to have you aboard!

Since you haven't finished MS&T, there may be threads you'll want to avoid, as they contain spoilers for the series.

I consider The Dragonbone Chair and Stone of Farewell Tad's two greatest works of all time, so you are in for a real treat with the audiobooks. Enjoy!

#686 2018-01-20 19:31:38

ajl3
Pilgrim

Welcome, writer6! Funny, I just found out this thread was even here.

#687 Yesterday 01:53:17

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Welcome to the boards, Writer6. Happy to have another fan here!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#688 Yesterday 02:07:50

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Welcome aboard, writer6! If you have any questions, don't feel afraid to ask! (Even when it feels like a silly question. We are after all, very silly people here!)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#689 Yesterday 02:38:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ajl3 wrote:

Welcome, writer6! Funny, I just found out this thread was even here.

Well, then, welcome ajl3, too! ;)

...Only one year late!

#690 Yesterday 03:09:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Welcome!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#691 Yesterday 04:25:14

Olaf
Mantis
Website

A big hello from me, too!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#692 Yesterday 05:18:40

Maladroit
Pilgrim

Welcome Home, writer6!

writer6 wrote:

... I'm about a third of the way into The Dragonbone Chair at the moment, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's pretty safe to say that Tad Williams has officially become my favorite author within the fantasy genre. :) Finally, I just want to say that I'm beyond thrilled to have found a place where I can talk to other fans of Tad Williams about his books. :)

I envy you your first reading of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

#693 Yesterday 05:25:27

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

welcome to the board, writer6!

#694 Yesterday 09:47:38

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Howdy, writer6.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#695 Yesterday 22:03:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

Welcome Home, writer6!

writer6 wrote:

... I'm about a third of the way into The Dragonbone Chair at the moment, and I'm absolutely loving it so far. It's pretty safe to say that Tad Williams has officially become my favorite author within the fantasy genre. :) Finally, I just want to say that I'm beyond thrilled to have found a place where I can talk to other fans of Tad Williams about his books. :)

I envy you your first reading of Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.

Same here!

I still remember the first day I opened The Dragonbone Chair. It was a rainy day in November 1988, at the public library. And it turned out to be the best book ever.

Board footer