Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2008-01-21 00:30:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Welcomes and Introductions

Grinth wrote:

I recently received a shiny new Masters of Fine Arts in Film Studies from Boston University and then promptly moved to Los Angeles.  Upon my arrival the whole state caught on fire and then the writers went on strike, so things couldn't be going more swimmingly.

Now I spend my time enjoying my furniture-less apartment, experiencing the joys of temp agencies and continually praying that one morning I will wake up to discover everyone has come to their senses and gotten back to work.

Poor Grinth.... I wish you the best of luck finding a good job in the film industy. I've heard it's hard to (properly) get into.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2008-01-21 03:13:30

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hi there (all)!

My name is Sahi, which is taken from the Jungle Book (written by Kipling). Sahi is a porcupine. Once upon a time (over ten years ago) I chose it as my name as a cubscout leader. Then two weeks after Shadowmarch got started I used it as my nick there. It's stuck with me ever since. If you ever see "Yalahii!" under any of my posts, it's taken from the same book. It is the cubscout battle cry and means "let's go hunt".

Last year I quit being a cubscout leader. I love reading as most everybody here does. I go fencing once a week (foil and sabre) and I like hiking. Nothing too strenous, although I do hope to do the Coast to Coast one day. Like Aan, I love traveling and I've met quite a few smarchers.

And everything else you'll learn some other day. :) (Perhaps at the next SAGE meeting?)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#28 2008-01-21 06:18:40

Stuart
Pilgrim

Hi, I'm Stuart, recently turned 40, blissfully married, 1 beautiful and immensely willful daughter one more offspring about to appear at any minute now, no poodles.

A friend of mine aware of my need for long stories to read, my itinerant lifestyle lead to many lonely nights in hotels, lent me his copy of Otherland. I was immediately drawn to both the complex stories but also the delightful style of Tad's writing; I was also quite lucky as this was at about the time book 3 was published so I only had the agonising wait for one book of that series.  Being too lazy and stupid to realise there were Tad books prior to this (other than Tolkein I'd pretty much avoided any fantasy fiction at this stage in my life), I was talking to another friend about these great books when she offered to lend me the whole of MS&T.  I read these back to back, bought my own copy as rather embarrassingly she had the first paperback issue of TGAT, which dissintegrated as I was reading it.  It's a lot of book to put back into order so I bought the 2 volume version to read while I reconstructed her's.

Anyhow.  Like a lot of people here I got the Shadowmarch website from the Otherland books; subscribed and read the first year experiment (printed out then placed carefully in my top drawer at work usually).  I wasn't even aware of the bulletin board until after the subscription chapters ran dry, even then it took me a while to sign up and start posting.

Interests, photography, cooking, astronomy/astrophotography, reading (mostly SF to be honest Peter Hamilton, Alistair Reynolds that sort of thing), cinema (I was allowed to build a home cinema just before our first we'un was born), I'm trying to play guitar though I love listening to a huge variety of music I have no aptitude for making it.

Still waiting to meet Tad, though I'm sure at some point he'll be over here, that is the UK, not necessarily Yorkshire itself.

We live in a little village currently surrounded by lakes that weren't there last month, and finally I introduce new technology for use on the railway infrastructure (I used to do consulting but having family has seriously dampened my desire to be away from home for work) but I'm no spotter.

I can't beleive anyone is still reading by now but when you said Coast to Coast Sahi did you mean the Wainwright St Bees to Robin Hoods bay?

...- --- - . / .-.. .. .-.. -.-- !

#29 2008-01-21 06:35:20

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Of course! It is the only true Coast to Coast. ;)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#30 2008-01-21 06:44:35

Kuno
Pilgrim

Okay I'm next.

I am one of the Dutch people around here. During the week I spend my life here in Eindhoven studying physics (Master of science that is). I spend most of my weekends with my parents, who live in a village nearby.

I found the place somewhere in 2003, if I'm not completely mistaken. (These are all vague memories.) I had found the address of the old tadsite probably in one of the Otherland books before, but it took me some time to find the new and active place. And now I'm stil here.

I've met Tad twice, both occasions separated by about 24 hours. I have also met some of the people here in the real life.

What do I do if I'm not here? I read, I play the occasional computer game, I spend lot of time on my study and I even find the time to sleep, hang out with friends and travel.

That's about it.

There's a beginning, two middles, and an end. - Firsfron of Ronchester

#31 2008-01-21 07:54:29

Stuart
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

Of course! It is the only true Coast to Coast. ;)

I know that but some people have strange ideas.  I met up with my friends and did the last bit across the Moors the week before I got married; I've walked Hadrians Wall which is also coast to coast, just a bit further north.

I forgot to mention in mine that I'm still studying like a good student.  I'm about 3/4 of the way through an MSc in Computing.

...- --- - . / .-.. .. .-.. -.-- !

#32 2008-01-21 09:12:59

Hekate
Pilgrim

Hm, what's important about me....?

I'm 22 and live with my parents and younger brother in a small, but culturally important (or so it claims; we even have a motto: "Beer, Baroque and Botany" no joke) village somewhere between Augsburg and Munich, where I study german literature (after I tried a lot of things like one semester of math, applying for some art schools and working half a year at a joinery). I have two cats, actually three, but the oldest decided after 11 years that she would rather move in with the neighbours. She's 13 now.
I like reading and drawing, which ends mostly frustrated or first euphoric, then frustrated. Sometimes I write.

I got internet access about four years ago and one of the first things I did was googling Tad Williams and ended on a german fan forum where I registered under "Hekate" (I was Buffy-fan and the greek goddess Hekate was mentioned on the show; I simply liked the name.) Soon everyone would call me Hek, even sometimes in real life. The community of this forum is still what I would call my home online, and Smarch seems so much like it, so I thought: Let's try it out!. :)

#33 2008-01-21 09:31:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I was surprised how open Tad was, and that he actually answered readers' questions (and I had an awful lot of them, ranging from which was further west: Garwynswold or Bregshame; to a question about Geloe's sexuality).

*sniggers*

I'll never look of Geloe the same way again... and it's all your fault. OK, I suppose I didn't have to join that Mint party...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#34 2008-01-21 09:33:35

Hekate
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

I was surprised how open Tad was, and that he actually answered readers' questions (and I had an awful lot of them, ranging from which was further west: Garwynswold or Bregshame; to a question about Geloe's sexuality).

*sniggers*

I'll never look of Geloe the same way again... and it's all your fault. OK, I suppose I didn't have to join that Mint party...

now I'm really curious.. ;)

#35 2008-01-21 09:35:17

Magpie
Mantis
Website

ceywren wrote:

my evil army consists of kittens and possibly magpies (to drop the kittens on innocent passer-byers heads)

Don't get any ideas - I am not part of any evil army.
Or, wait, maybe I am. But not Ceywren's!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#36 2008-01-21 09:41:58

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Hekate wrote:

Magpie wrote:

*sniggers*

Hehehe... I'm planning to post the quotes from that party I saved as soon as I have time. Time. Do I even remember what that thing is?

- Tad

#37 2008-01-21 12:03:54

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ohoh introductions! Me next?!

So hi, my name's Ad1tu, which is a slight variation on Aditu from MS&T. My name IRL is Cathy, short for Catherine which I abhor (my parents used to call me my full name when I was in big trouble, and I use that as the reason why I don't like it now.) I'm an undergraduate college student in Northeast Ohio majoring in technically broadcasting but personally undecided. I rediscovered an only hinted at before love of physics last semester when I took an introductory nuclear physics course, and now I'm taking a mathematically heavy theoretical physics course, which is technically an applied math course but the physics dept. doesn't trust the math dept. around here. I was music education for a year, but I realized I did not want to put myself through another 3 years of that program at this school, and I knew I had to be good at something else. Let's see, what else about me? I have a wonderful boyfriend of one and a half years whom I met here at college, and I don't think I'm meant to be with anybody but him. (Hesitant to use the word soul-mate, because I'm still contemplating on the existence of souls. That's another thing about me, I like philosophy, also recently discovered last semester.) No pets, but in my spare time, I like to read, play WoW, go window shopping, take long walks in interesting places with my camera (but I don't do that much anymore because film is expensive), listen to music (I'm very eclectic), watch all types of movies new and old, surf the net for Doctor Who or Babylon 5 stuffs, and umm... well I think that about covers it :) Oh, I do have a binding contract to do an online newsletter every month for my hometown amateur radio club, but it's been lots of fun, especially since I bought a CSS book and now I can do nifty things!

Ok, now on to how I discovered Tad! (On a side note, Firefox like to say that "ok" and "okay" are both spelled wrong, but I don't know any other spelling! Aan, oh mozilla dev master, please assist! lol) Well my dad was, and still is, a big SFF reader. No favorite authors, just whatever looks interesting on the shelf of Borders. He bought Tailchaser's Song an age and a half ago (j/k!) and suggested I read it when I was about 13. Well that was a pretty cool book, so I tried to start in on Dragonbone Chair, but it intially felt really slow at the beginning, so I put that off to only to pick up Otherland. Wonderful series, sped through the first three and waited in agony for the fourth. I relished in an amusing incident involving Mountain of Black Glass, when one of my classmates claimed he'd read it in second grade. I asked him many questions, none of which he could answer, and finished him off with an "I thought it was awful funny that you read the book before it came out! Imagine knowing something the author never did!" and he never teased me again. (oh joy!) After I finished Otherland, I started MS&T once more, and was able to really get into it and finish it (obviously, or I wouldn't have the name I do.) It was around that time that our tenth grade english teacher assigned us a RESEARCH PAPER that was supposed to be a whole 10 pages on our favorite American author. Of course, I wanted to do Tad Williams, but because I couldn't find anything in the library books, I opted for Isaac Asimov instead. But not to be deterred, I went home and did a google search for Tad Williams, that lead me to none other than www.shadowmarch.com ! I registered for the message board, since browsing it led me to believe that Tad *actually posted* which was so cool, and I sent him a message, asking if he knew of any biographical work. He wrote back, saying I should try posting on the message boards, that some of the members might know more about him than he did! And so begins my history of posting on S'march, and now... uhh... can we still call this place smarch? twilliams doesn't have quite that ring to it... anyway! Next person!!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#38 2008-01-21 12:43:41

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

(On a side note, Firefox like to say that "ok" and "okay" are both spelled wrong, but I don't know any other spelling! Aan, oh mozilla dev master, please assist! lol)

It probably wants OK (capitals), which imho is rather silly. You can add the lower-cased versions to your personal dictionary, and then it won't complain anymore. Just right-click, "Add to dictionary".
I think Firefox 3 will use a different spell-checking engine (Hunspell), so maybe that means the default dictionary will be updated, too (though the whole spell-checking dictionaries licensing situation is confusing, which often prevents improvements in that realm).

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#39 2008-01-21 14:03:50

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

ceywren wrote:

my evil army consists of kittens and possibly magpies (to drop the kittens on innocent passer-byers heads)

Don't get any ideas - I am not part of any evil army.
Or, wait, maybe I am. But not Ceywren's!

*cackles*

Part???

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#40 2008-01-21 21:24:10

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

::pokes head in::

::snorts smoke question marks::

I'm Mwyaren... most people here call me Mooey.  I'm a little purple dragon who can't breathe fire, no matter how many plates of nachos I've eaten.  I can be found wandering around my Bouncy Castle with my adoptive mother, Candide Appel, who is an entirely fabulous drag queen.

And as much as I love playing pirate, you'll never get me to make a pretend pegleg again.

::steals cookies and runs::

Walter, put the cow away, would you?!

Have a gander at the jewelry I've been making...

#41 2008-01-21 22:52:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Hekate wrote:

Magpie wrote:

*sniggers*

The Mint itself was nothing more than the reactions I got when I mentioned that I had asked Tad this question back in 1997. It devolved from there.

For the record: I asked Tad this question because Geloe cuts her hair short and wears men's clothes. Twice in the story, she says something like, "You men..." in a sort of derogatory tone; and she goes for a long walk under the stars with Aditu. The text says something like "they made an odd couple..." They walk together under the moonlight, and Aditu puts flowers in her hair. I thought it was cool that Tad would include someone of an alternate sexuality in the story (I still have my doubts about Escritor Velligis ;) without being all blatant and modern about it.

Tad did not pull a J.K. Rowling when he replied. He said that since Geloe lived in the forest, it was just practical for her to cut her hair short and wear men's clothes. The brusque comments about men were about humans in general.

Xavie claims to see no 'shipping between Geloe and Aditu in the passage in question. Which is certainly possible.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#42 2008-01-21 23:40:25

cyan
Mantis

Xavie claims to see no 'shipping between Geloe and Aditu in the passage in question. Which is certainly possible.

Nor do I, for the record.

If I had a dollar for every time I heard two women do a verbal eye-roll over the behavior of men, walk off to kabitz, and end up doing each other's hair... 

Heh....

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#43 2008-01-22 00:34:26

cyan
Mantis

I guess I should introduce myself also...

I'm cyan: single, no children, no pets ~ unless you count my bf (with whom I live) as he alternately plays the role of all three...  spouse, child, and pet, that is ;-)

I was born in Hong Kong, and I currently live in a small city named San Pablo, but my profile says I'm from Oakland ~ the city across the bay from San Francisco, CA, variously attributed as the birthplace of both the Hell's Angels and the Black Panthers ~ it is the city in which I grew up, lived for most of my life, and currently work, and I consider it my home.

I first encountered The Dragonbone Chair on my way home from work and school one night, I guess it must have been in 1992 (I worked as a secretary for a printing company in San Francisco during the day so I could pay for and attend a fashion design school down the street at night).  I stopped at my local bookstore to pick up another book (I had $10 left and the next day was payday so I was allowed to spend it on a book, whee!).  As I browsed the SSF shelves, I noticed beautiful cover-art of Michael Whelan (who says you can't judge a book by it's cover!), read the first few pages, and I was HOOKED!  I've been following Tad's work ever since.

I was aware of the Shadowmarch on-line project from the notes in Otherland, as others have mentioned, but I didn't own a pc at the time so I had no way of participating.  Years later, the book Shadowmarch was published with a dedication and invite to the community on shadowmarch.com.  So I check it out.  And encountered a community of amazing, and amazingly warm, people.  Life has not been the same since.

No, really!  Because of the community on Shadowmarch, I've traveled and met lots of wonderful people, lots of wonderful people have traveled and met me, we've et and shopped (or thought about shopping), we've been silly (oh, duh), lost, dumb, giggled, and generally had a wonderful time together!  And yes, we smell sometimes, too.  (Sorry, but that wasn't me this time.)

So I guess what I'm trying to say is that, while I love this new shiny TWMB, I think I'll always be a S'marcher at heart.

Oh yeah, yes, I'm an avid reader (like most here), knitter, and food-lover.  I work for a restaurant supply company as a project manager.  And my nick 'cyan' is an utterly unimaginative truncation of my first initial (c) and my last name (yan). 

Next!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#44 2008-01-22 02:16:43

sisterdew
Pilgrim

righty-

me's sisterdew(sis,dewey and dew-thing have been approved for use as nicknames for the nickname),
nearly 24 years old,from vienna,austria(yes,that's right,that little place next to australia.genisis and i are practically neighbours)
i'm a booktrader-apprentice,will be a full-grown booktrader in october this year
currently i work at a British Bookshop,where only english books are sold,which i enjoy a LOT,but usually i work at a "normal" german bookshop in a mall.which sucks.big time.

as you can imagine,i'm a book-fanatic(doh',not so much of a surprise around here),love music(loud,and if i can bang my head to it,the better.),my cat(who lives with my parents in the countryside),and bf:)

i discovered smarch about a year ago(after reading MST a few years ago and thinking.."who was this guy again,and has hew ritten anything else?",googling,and there i was)and have been hooked ever since-this community is the awesomest,bestestest ever on the internet.i love you all:)*huggles*

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#45 2008-01-22 04:53:47

Ren
Pilgrim

hello, I'm Ren...I originally signed onto smarch back in June of I think 2001 (within months of it's initial opening) and have never regretted that first click. My original Sign-on was Usagi Renfield but once I learned to rename it generally got truncated to Renfield or just Ren...I am not a [ninja]...just stating a well-known fact. I've been a fan of Tad's since I first read Dragonbone Chair the year it was released and yes I had to wait the lo interminable years between subsequent releases. I will admit that my initial attempt to read the first Otherland book failed about 4 chapters in but I did eventually read it all the way through. I've read all the rest as well except sadly, Caliban's Hour (someday I'll find a good copy!).
I am a music fan (mostly metal, rock and such), Tv fan (Lost, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Heroes...), Movie fan (Mostly action/adventure...Predator being my #1 Favorite), all around reader (sci-fi. fantasy, horror, mix of all the above...) and like to laughingly pretend to write (never finish anything...8P...).
I live in Austin, Texas (and yes I've met Wolfshade, groovy dude but don't ask him about his work unless you like your brains melty!...cool stuff though!) where I work for a major computer manufacturer doing tech Support for Servers. I am single, never been married, no kids and no pets (though I plan on getting a Dog once I get settled into my new place...maybe I'll call it Tad!). I have had the distinct pleasure of meeting a large portion of the Smarch crowd at least once, some several times and found them all to be for the most part wonderful, beautiful (inside and out) people...8) and I've also met Tad a few times thanks to World Cons (and was Present for the "Sherman Incident"...) and was always amazed by his attentiveness and the time he took to talk to anyone and everyone present. Not to mention his plethora of entertaining real-life stories!
I consider myself to be amongst the luckiest of people to get to know the bunch of goofballs and wonderful people that comprise Smarch and the new board as well...*hugs for all*

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#46 2008-01-22 12:19:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

cyan wrote:

I guess I should introduce myself also...

I'm cyan: single, no children, no pets ~ unless you count my bf (with whom I live) as he alternately plays the role of all three...  spouse, child, and pet, that is ;-)

*sniggers*

Poor bf..... and he spends so much time thinking up those bedtime stories.....

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#47 2008-01-22 16:51:07

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, if I must. ;)

I am Miiru, odd creature, Mantis and dragon-at-large; one third of the infamous Smutsister Trinity, already introduced in Jaime's post. Currently, I'm lurking in NC, but I occasionally leave the state to visit all and sundry, and let things cool off a while before I wreak more havoc.

I am an amateur writer of fiction and non; my project du jour is the Paranormal column for Firefox.org (no relation to the browser folks!). I am a single mom of the tallest eight year old in the world, a frightfully neurotic dog, and four cats of varying mental instability. When I get bored, I go take pictures of gravestones, the older the better.

Somewhere, there is a photograph of Tad wearing my pirate hat.

I am immensely proud of this fact.

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#48 2008-01-22 17:56:42

Damon
Pilgrim
Website

My name's Damon, but when I first joined a Tad community I used the (now very embarrassing) nick Paragon. Yep, that's me at the TWMB around 2000. I've since completed a Masters in English Literature (focusing on Mervyn Peake, who is an author Tad likes too), lectured in linguistics (phonetics and phonology, primarily), travelled the world, and become engaged to another Tad-boarder (Bandit, also seen in the TWMB link above, and another Smarcher).

I was at Shadowmarch on the first day, am one of the Mantises of Doom, and although I'm only around sporadically these days still have considerable enthusiasm for all things written by Tad.

I live in New Zealand and teach writing skills at university.

Damon.co.nz: Where the homeless come to bathe
"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."

#49 2008-01-22 18:05:30

Sadalian
Pilgrim

I'm Sadalian. I discovered Tad with Tailchasers Song. In junior high, I found TS in a library and checked it out for my brother. He was into fantasy books - I wasn't. He liked it and later read MS&T as it was released. I didn't read anything Tad until Otherland was published. I loved it. During Tad's Arizona visit I drove almost 4 hours roundtrip to attend the Phoenix signing. I was a lurker on the Lyst for years (since before the plug was pulled at DAW and everyone migrated to whatever existed before Yahoo groups - eGroups?). I posted once to ask a question and the ever helpful StrangeShe answered.

I'm single with no kids or pets. I'd like a large dog or two - necessary if I'm to achieve my goal of becoming a crazy old dog lady. Currently I split my work week between caring for research insect cultures at the University of Arizona and Trader Joe's. I'm looking for a librarian job in an academic or government science library.

Sherman likes me a lot.

#50 2008-01-22 18:09:47

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Damon wrote:

My name's Damon, but when I first joined a Tad community I used the (now very embarrassing) nick Paragon.

*tries to remember if she knew Damon=Paragon*

Nope, don't think I knew that. Neat!

Board footer