Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-01 16:40:00

Olaf
Mantis
Website

The Dragons of Ordinary Farm-Sold!

29 October, 2007
Children's:
Middle grade Tad Williams and Deborah Beale's THE DRAGONS OF ORDINARY FARM, a fantasy series about a brother and sister who spend every summer on their uncle's unexpectedly magical farm, to Brenda Bowen at Harper Children's, in a good deal, including a sequel, by Matt Bialer at Sanford J. Greenburger Associates (NA).

Source

Tad, any word on when the first book might be published?

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2007-11-01 16:43:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Re: The Dragons of Ordinary Farm-Sold!

Glee!

Having heard the first chapter (ish) at Westercon (and enjoyed it), I'm very pleased. I can't wait to see it on shelves so I can snag a copy for my son. It sounds the sort of thing he will really enjoy, and maybe it'll help me get him actually *reading*.

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#3 2007-11-02 02:24:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*does not need a son for an excuse to buy it* :)

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#4 2007-11-02 06:43:00

Ren
Pilgrim

we're all kids at heart...thats my excuse anyway...8)

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#5 2007-11-02 13:52:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Coolness. :)

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#6 2007-11-02 18:05:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

*perks*

More books!!

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#7 2007-11-02 18:11:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

precisely my thoughts! booksbooksbooooooks!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#8 2007-11-05 19:01:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

We're still in rewrite on the first volume, which is why it's hard to say when it (or SHADOWRISE) will be finished.  However, I don't think they plan to publish it until the list launches, which is over a year away.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#9 2007-11-09 20:36:00

goofytortuga
Pilgrim

Yeah!!!  Will have to buy 2.  Addison will need her own copy and I will need one also!!

It is never too soon to convert her to a Tad fan. She will be 4 months on 13th of Nov.

#10 2008-01-17 21:37:58

deborah
Hierarch

Hey y'all, we're going to post the first of a series of Ordinary Farm short stories soon, so watch this space (or more correctly, watch The Vault's space.)

WHOO-HOO!

Deborah

#11 2008-01-17 22:02:11

strangeshe
Hierarch

Glad to see you made it, Deborah!

#12 2008-01-17 23:25:03

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Just read on the new site that the series sold to Klett-Cotta as well!

Great news!

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#13 2008-01-24 16:02:21

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

What type of fantasy book will this be. I'm sure I've heard it is more suited towards children, but thats pretty much all I heard. Anyone care to elaborate? Thanks.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#14 2008-01-24 17:20:01

strangeshe
Hierarch

Hi Stefan. The ORDINARY FARM books are a 5-book young adult fantasy series (so not exactly 'kids books' -- at least not young'uns). Tad is working on Deborah's first draft of The Dragons of Ordinary Farm, the first book in the series, and Deborah is working on the draft of the second book which has the working title, A Witch at Ordinary Farm.

Here's another piece in the works, from the introduction to the sneak peek in the Vault (here: http://www.tadwilliams.com/the_vault.aspx -- scroll down to Sneak Peeks and select the story, "Only One Meets His Match")

The following short story is from a Tad-and-Deb work-in-progress entitled Urchin’s Luck. The novel is our Tailchaser’s Song for raccoons, and was inspired by observing the exceptional intelligence of the creatures. In the novel, there is a thematic spine of folk tales (rather like Native American mythologies) that the animals tell each other. Here is one of them.

Dedicated to that fine Shadowmarcher Gigi Gridley, who once asked Tad, “Is there anything of Deb in your female characters?”

#15 2008-01-25 16:49:19

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

I'm definitely looking forward to those works. And Urchin's Luck sounds cool as well. Anyone seen the Studio Ghibli film with Raccoons? I saw half of it before I had to go to bed, and it was great.

#16 2008-01-25 17:06:02

strangeshe
Hierarch

ArcticSwan360 wrote:

Anyone seen the Studio Ghibli film with Raccoons? I saw half of it before I had to go to bed, and it was great.

I haven't, but will look for it. Thanks for the recommendation!

#17 2008-01-25 20:14:43

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

No problem. When I read about Urchin's Luck, knowing that Tad liked Miyazaki's films, I had wondered if he had seen this movie or if it had inspired him in any way with the story.

#18 2008-01-28 20:34:00

deborah
Hierarch

we lurve Miyazaki movies.  Can anyone enlighten me on the one with racoons?

ODFARM (as we fondly refer to it) will be published Jan 09.  In some ways, my own impulse has always been that I want it to be Otherland for young adults - because it has that big ole river of time thang going on.  BUT it is, very strongly, about a farm whose farming program is something very strange indeed...

soon as I've gotten out of the bloody tax prep, I'll be posting the first of the short stories.  They are bon mots (good-sized ones too) for our dear ones on this site.  And they'll be around for a while and then get pulled.  Each one is about the arrival of specific characters at Ordinary Farm.  More anon.

#19 2008-01-28 20:50:07

fangler
Pilgrim

Wow, Deborah. That sounds very cool. Thanks in advance for the treats.

Good luck with the taxes. *eyes his own large pile of papers*

#20 2008-01-29 04:31:05

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

...glee!

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#21 2008-02-15 23:06:45

cyan
Mantis

Most cool, most certainly!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#22 2008-03-20 04:46:55

Ie
Pilgrim

ooh I'm so excited.  It sounds like it's right at my eldest daughter's age level!!  I'm always looking for new material for her.  I'm so proud of her as this time last year she was an average level student reading at grade level, to her most recent report card (monday night!) being an A+ student in honors english/reading/language arts.  WOO HOO!  Books in this house are a must!!

www.mastokids.org
Raising Awarness and Raising Children

#23 2008-05-05 13:17:52

deborah
Hierarch

Hey y'all, we're in the throes of putting new stuff up on the site, here and there, but in the meantime, it looks like The Dragons Of Ordinary Farm is now scheduled for August 08.

But that may yet change...

I'm finishing the rewrites this week.  Then they go to His Dogginess for approval, then off to varius interested parties after that...

#24 2008-05-05 13:18:19

deborah
Hierarch

OOOOOPS!

AUG 09....

#25 2014-03-06 12:38:40

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

So, I know (from SS's post, above) that A Witch at Ordinary Farm was supposed to be volume 2, but ultimately, volume 2 was The Secrets of Ordinary Farm.

However, there's still a Goodreads listing for A Witch at Ordinary Farm, with 50 people waiting to read it. (It even has ratings: someone gave it a 3/5). Is this still forthcoming? If not, it probably should be deleted somehow. People think they will eventually be able to read it. And, apparently, one person can predict the future!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

Board footer