Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1476 2011-12-01 12:13:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: What Are You Reading Now, Hmmmmm?

I've spent the last three afternoons in the nearest bookshop, reading "Inheritance" by Christopher Paolini. I hate leaving a series half-read, but I wasn't willing to spend money on it, or even bother with getting a library card again. Brrr - far too much magic for my tastes. I like to compare books to food, and magic (in a fantasy book) is like salt - too little and it's boring, but too much and it becomes inedible. And the mish-mash of made-up and real names still irritates me!

Scrollbearer
We Smarchers are like Dwarrows living in the city of Mezu'tua: There are only a few of us left. Most of the city is long-abandoned, but we gather here, by the light of the Shard, where it's a little warmer...
-Firsfron
babbling about books and plants

#1477 2011-12-18 14:21:18

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie wrote:

I've spent the last three afternoons in the nearest bookshop, reading "Inheritance" by Christopher Paolini. I hate leaving a series half-read, but I wasn't willing to spend money on it, or even bother with getting a library card again. Brrr - far too much magic for my tastes. I like to compare books to food, and magic (in a fantasy book) is like salt - too little and it's boring, but too much and it becomes inedible. And the mish-mash of made-up and real names still irritates me!

Hmmm... I might be adopting your example there.... I really do not want to spend the money either...

Scrollbearer

"If you say that getting the money is the most important thing, you will spend you life completely wasting your time. You'll be doing things you don't like doing in order to go on living, that is, to go on doing things you don't like doing... which is stupid."
~ Alan Watts

#1478 2011-12-19 20:06:43

hoobie
Pilgrim

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Magpie wrote:

Hmmm... I might be adopting your example there.... I really do not want to spend the money either...

Yeah, I'm almost done reading Eragon right now for the first time, and I don't think I'm going to read the rest of the series. It's just not very good.

In other news, I finished listening to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer on audiobook this afternoon. I'd forgotten how much I liked it when I was a kid. Great book.

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."
-Stephen R. Donaldson-

#1479 2011-12-22 21:03:43

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Just finished Stephen King's "11/22/63". Pretty good read. It was actually enough of a different style that it didn't feel like reading a King book, or at least not a recent one.  (I'm very glad his latest 2 books have been reattempted failures from decades ago.) I would definitely not throw this in with typical King horror-genre. Reading his afterword, it seems like he did plenty of research, which is good when writing a historical fiction-esque novel.

Overall I'd say 9/10.

[SLIGHT SPOILER: Only thing that stands out that would need changing (after 1 read through) is not putting in the part about George and Sadie's "honeymoon"... the wording totally gives away part of the ending.]

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

#1480 2012-01-16 19:26:27

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I finally finished reading Tailchaser's Song. The semester starts tomorrow and I've a new eBook to read - The Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#1481 2012-01-19 22:25:39

chamberk again
Pilgrim

i liked 11/22/63, it was a pretty solid read.

now: the name of the wind (not bad), the tin drum (whaaa) and cloud atlas (yum)

#1482 2012-01-30 09:42:04

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Grabbed some ebooks of the Kindle Store...
The Pawn, by Steven James (very good, a mystery written from the view of a "geographic profiler" which is something new to me! Very enjoyable.)
The Rook, by Steven James (sequel to Pawn, just started it, so far pretty good.)
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (I was very surprised by this. I had no idea what it was actually about until I got so tired of hearing everyone say "This book is awesome!!" I bought it to see what all the fuss was about.)
Umm and the sequel to Dragon Tattoo. This is waiting until after I finish The Rook. I hope this is just as good as the first!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

#1483 2012-02-17 10:20:24

pat5150
Pilgrim

Just finished Ian Cameron Esslemont's Orb Sceptre Throne, and it's probably the most disappointing Malazan installment yet. . . :(

Check out the blog for the full review.

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#1484 2012-02-21 11:12:57

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Picked up a copy of Marion Zimmer Bradley's The Firebrand, maybe 1/3 of the way through it. I got a copy from the library years ago, so technically this is a re-read, but I don't really remember it from the first time around... Which is ok, I imagine I'm having totally different reactions to what these characters are doing than I did before.

#1485 2012-02-21 14:14:07

Dibbler
Pilgrim

Currently rereading the Otherland series. Having reread the Dragonbone series so many times, the books are falling apart, I am now in the stage I can open one of those books on an arbitrary place and just read the snippet that catches my eye. Sort of like 30-second reads.

#1486 2012-02-22 09:07:32

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Currently reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

#1487 2012-02-22 11:40:28

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The Spirit Lens by Carol Berg.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#1488 2012-02-25 08:36:37

pat5150
Pilgrim

Just finished Tad's newest collection of short fiction, A Stark and Wormy Knight. Some stories are hit or miss, but there are a few gems in there. It should satisfy most of you. ;-)

Check out the blog for the full review.

Cheers,

Patrick
www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#1489 2012-02-29 22:12:02

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Still working on Lamb - my bedside read - but I've finished Keeper of Lost Causes by Jussi Adler-Olsen and started Dominion by C. S. Friedman - my break between classes read.

#1490 2012-03-01 08:45:01

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Decided I'd rather read Dominion so I finished it. Next up on the Kindle is A Stark and Wormy Knight.

#1491 2012-03-02 12:21:54

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Finished The Firebrand last night. Next up is Storm Prey by John Sandford. I'm not expecting it to be great, already unimpressed by the writing within the first few chapters, but the story is interesting so I'll keep going.

I rebought (for the 3rd time...) Shadowmarch and (for the 2nd time) Shadowplay to accompany my cheaply bought Shadowrise, so I'll be starting those up in a couple books.

#1492 2012-03-12 14:52:10

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Just started The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. Another book I haven't read in *years* but remember really liking. And of course I'm sure I'll have totally different reactions than I did when I first read it. (It's about the women in the tale of Arthur, and being as I was, oh I dunno 14 or 15, I had very different ideas about being a woman / women in general than I do now :P)

#1493 2012-03-15 10:11:17

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Finished A Stark and Wormy Knight and about to start Caliban's Hour.

#1494 2012-03-15 11:41:35

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I am re-reading TAILCHASERĀ“S SONG because it has just been re-released in a new, shiny hc edition in Germany and it has been many years since I last read it. I am also listening to the unabridged recording of LORD OF THE RINGS read by Rob Inglis. Quite a treat, actually. Also working my way through THE DRAGONBONE CHAIR again.

SECRETS OF ORDINARY FARM is next on the menu. I am actually planing to re-read all of Tad`s books before the new novel, THE DIRTY STREETS OF HEAVEN, comes out in September.

Scrollbearer

"We love you as much as Gollum hates Bagginses." Tad

high & mighty bibliography

#1495 2012-03-29 14:03:25

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Finished Caliban's Hour. Liked it just as much this time around as I did the first time. Next up is The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. I've decided I want to read the book before I see the movie.

#1496 2012-03-31 20:32:55

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Finished The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins and about to read The Tale of the Wicked by John Scalzi.

#1497 2012-04-01 02:02:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Rereading book two of a Song of Ice and Fire right now.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#1498 2012-04-01 06:06:28

ylvs
Mantis

Just started For the win by Cory Doctorov. First 50 pages in it is fast paced, suspenseful and interesting. Promising!

Last edited by ylvs (2012-04-01 09:55:00)

'Inij koku na siqqasa min taq' - 'When we meet again, that will be a good day.'

What if UN economic sanctions against the Nornfells failed to get them to close down their Nuclear Witnesses program? At least the Sithi could begin their own WMD (Witnesses of Mass Destruction) program to try to counter the Nornsies... - Firsfron of Ronchester

Scrollbearer

#1499 2012-04-01 09:54:12

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Finished The Tale of the Wicked and started An Election, both by John Scalzi.

#1500 2012-04-02 10:32:45

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Shew, finally made it through The Mists of Avalon! There were sad parts. But I really like Morgaine as a character. Even though Morgaine is a priestess, she still struggles with the same questions we all do, in regards to religion.

Now I'm onto The Hunger Games. Yes, I fell victim to pop culture. I'm hesitant to say whether or not I like it yet, but I'd say she does a pretty good job of describing a dystopian society. (I'm only through chapter 6.) *****ITTY BITTY TEENSY TINY SPOILER ALERT****** I guess I'm just waiting to see if my hunch is right, and that there some secret underground rebellion going on that Katniss is getting pulled into (based on the Mocking-jay pin, the saluting, Peetra's dad being nice, the stylists making them hold hands).

Board footer