Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-06-24 15:48:00

Em
Mantis

Re: What Are You Reading Now, Hmmmmm?

No, there is no "third base" in football.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#27 2007-06-24 16:12:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Then what's the point of all those men with the lovely wide shoulders?

And all the tackling?

*is baffled*

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#28 2007-06-24 16:58:00

Em
Mantis

Jendaiya wrote:

Then what's the point of all those men with the lovely wide shoulders?

And all the tackling?

*is baffled*

To score, of course! *ahem*

(Bases is for baseball. End zones is for feetsball.) Ho doggie! That girl can do some really offensive tackling! *is jealous*

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#29 2007-06-25 05:07:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

nothing. *whimper, twitch*
I finished last night. It just felt like that kind of night, reading in bed, getting cookie crumbs all over my pillow.

My one big problem with Eragon is that the language and names do not have a ... consistent sound. Sounds to me like made-up-on-the-spot bits and pieces. Perhaps I'm just oversensitive, after all the work I've put into my Old Kivailo, trying to make it "make sense".

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#30 2007-06-25 05:12:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

My own big problem with Eragon was that at some times the speach is overly formal, while at other times it is not. Very weird.

But right now I'm not reading Eragon, I'm reading "Something wicked this way comes".

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#31 2007-06-25 06:43:00

silhouette
Pilgrim

Renegade's Magic, by Robin Hobb.
Poor, fat Nevare!

And all you wishing well fools
     with your fortunes
someone should send you a rose.

#32 2007-06-25 06:44:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Waah, you mean there's a part two now? (Of the soldier son's trilogy?)

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#33 2007-06-25 06:46:00

silhouette
Pilgrim

*braces Sahi*
Renegade's Magic is part three, and the end of the story.

with your fortunes

#34 2007-06-25 06:51:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yay! Has it been out for long? I couldn't find part two or three at ABC. *goes off to investigate*

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#35 2007-06-25 06:54:00

silhouette
Pilgrim

I think it appeared over here at the weekend. I picked it up on Saturday from Borders. Half-way through, and most impressed. The lady knows how to stick words together in a pleasing order.

with your fortunes

#36 2007-06-25 06:56:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

ABC still has it listed as yet to be published. But they should have part two in paperback. *itches to pay them a visit*

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#37 2007-06-25 08:28:00

Kuno
Pilgrim

Stefan wrote:

I always have that problem. Reading a very good book - The Bonehunters, it's just taking me a while to finish. At least for my standards. I can usually finish a book like this in less than three weeks.

Now I wonder if I read too fast, or I just spend too much time reading.

There's a beginning, two middles, and an end. - Firsfron of Ronchester

#38 2007-06-25 08:43:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Kunohara wrote:

or I just spend too much time reading.

there is NO SUCH THING!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#39 2007-06-25 10:12:00

pat5150
Pilgrim

I was really curious about this final volume of The Soldier Son trilogy. With both Shaman's Crossing and Forest Mage garnering so many mixed reviews, I was eager to see how Hobb would bring this series to a close with Renegade's Magic.

Renegade's Magic is easily the best and most enjoyable volume of The Soldier Son trilogy. One of the main reasons why is that, unlike its two predecessors, this book doesn't suffer from a sluggish pace. The narrative flows extremely well, providing a fluid rhythm throughout the novel.

As always, the characterizations are superior. The deeply involved humanity behind it all, Hobb's hallmark, is imbued throughout Renegade's Magic. Three-dimensional characters populate this book, and they all remain true to themselves. This aspect of her characterization is probably what I love the most about Robin Hobb. Her cast always include men and women who feel like "real" people with genuine personalities, good or bad or in between. 

Hobb ties up a lot of loose ends from both Shaman's Crossing and Forest Mage, with almost everything coming full circle. In a way, this just might be Hobb's most self-contained series. Many things make more sense now, giving me a new appreciation for the first two volumes.

Check the blog for the full review. :)

Patrick www.fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com

#40 2007-06-25 12:49:00

silhouette
Pilgrim

Just finished it myself, Pat.
Loved it. Hobb doesn't waste a single word.
Parts of it were very moving, and I believed in all of the characters and found the story interesting.
She knows how to do her job.

with your fortunes

#41 2007-06-25 12:58:00

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

I am on the last part of The Bonehunters, with about three hundred pages left. I smiled for ten minutes straight at the end of the third part of that book.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#42 2007-06-25 16:12:00

Jaime
Pilgrim

I read about the first quarter of Last Light of the Sun.  It's astonishingly boring.  He's also picked up a bad habit of dropping his pronouns and using excessive run-on sentences.  I'm glad I borrowed it from my mom rather than bought it.

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.

-- Heinlein

#43 2007-06-25 16:24:00

Kianor
Banned

i just read his latest (kay's) called ysabel...it was interesting, to say the least.  i did like it, but that could be for sentimental reasons since he returned to some old characters from one of my favorite series ever.

now, i'm finally getting around to reading the r. scott bakker books that have been on my shelves forever.  the darkness that comes before

#44 2007-06-27 08:06:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

finally reading "glennkill" by Leonie Swann..a hilarious whodunit about a herd of sheep,told by said sheep,set in ireland

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#45 2007-06-27 13:37:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Just finished "Nijura - Das Erbe der Elfenkrone", on sisterdew's recommentation. ;) My thoughts are still somewhat foggy - as they always are right after finishing a book - but I did enjoy it. The only thing that put me off a bit was Bruno's name. But the language did have that ...consistent sound that I missed in Eragon.

- Tad

#46 2007-06-28 00:29:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Cartomancy by Mary Gentle.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#47 2007-06-28 01:12:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Just finished "Nijura - Das Erbe der Elfenkrone", on sisterdew's recommentation. ;) My thoughts are still somewhat foggy - as they always are right after finishing a book - but I did enjoy it. The only thing that put me off a bit was Bruno's name. But the language did have that ...consistent sound that I missed in Eragon.

bruno's the boar,right?

her second is even better-bit more grown up..and she is only 19...*falls down on knees*

#48 2007-06-28 03:12:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

oh joy!

the third book by 19 year old jenny mai nuyen(author of "nijura" and "das drachentor(dragongate")is being published next week!if i didn't love her books so much i'd hate her for being such a great writer at that age!

preordered it is:)

#49 2007-06-28 04:02:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Is she a German author? *is still looking to expand her meager collection of German books*

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#50 2007-06-28 04:13:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

yup
one parent is vietnamese,hence the exotic name for a german-jenny mai nuyen
filed under young adult fantasy

Board footer