Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-04-04 10:54:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: The Botanimaniac's Gardens

I pick it myself, too. There's a lovely patch rather close to where I live. Goes so nicely with easter eggs!
Last weekend, I also brought home some seedlings which I planted in a shady patch in the garden. I hope they'll like it there!

And this reminds me of my botany professor at university (I studied Agriculture for one semester) - talking about the substances that are contained in the genus Allium (garlic, onions etc) and what uses they have. His last remark was, "But in my opinion, their most important property is that they help against vampires."
Undoubtedly the most popular professor - quite difficult to get a seat in his lectures. I usually sat on the stairs.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2007-04-06 15:44:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Just potted my tomato babies, I mean, plants. 15 plants, 8 varieties. Not just red, but also yellow and green. I wanted white ones, too, but accidentally ordered another variety.
And "Brandywine Sherry" is the best name ever. Always makes me think of LotR.

[ April 06, 2007: Message edited by: Magpie ]

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#53 2007-04-06 23:33:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

We have conifers (the one we Dutchies call by that name), an apple tree and roses. I have no clue what else is in the garden.

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#54 2007-04-07 05:57:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

If you get the chance, you could take some close-up pictures of the beds, perhaps I can identify something.

I bought some bulbs today, after the torture of clothes shopping:
regal lilies,
dayflower/widow's tears,
gladiolus "Madonna",
acidanthera (all for one certain corner of the garden,
cyclamen for another corner,
and my mother wanted montbretias, although we don't know where to put them.

[ April 07, 2007: Message edited by: Magpie ]

- Tad

#55 2007-04-07 09:41:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Taking pictures will have to wait a while, we're a bit busy now. ;)

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#56 2007-04-07 12:05:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I can imagine!

And you don't have to feel like you have to take them! I only suggested it in case you want to know what it is (though you could surely find other people who'd know).

- Tad

#57 2007-04-09 15:22:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I have finally caught up with my gardenwork - all that needed to be sowed is sowed, all that needed to be planted is planted. Though there are a couple of seeds just waiting for next weekend.
Just in time, too.
Now, what remains to be done is telling my mother what she needs to water while I'm away - and it's a LOT!

And, as the tree nursery guy advised me, I am now using shredded horns/hooves as fertilizer (in addition to a lot of mulch - open, dried up ground just makes my hear ache!). Smells lovely. Just like the jar in which I kept my snailshells (which I used to collect) when I hadn't noticed that there still was a snail in one of them.

- Tad

#58 2007-04-10 00:45:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh, I like to know a lot more about my plants. So I will definitely take pictures! :)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#59 2007-04-14 12:22:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

So, since I've already delivered some tulips over at Infinity's, I might as well put up some pictures here, too...

here's my newest little darling, which started to bloom while I was at school - as did the apple tree..
This is what the front garden looked like about 2 weeks ago, and here's the patch under the elder, which has become quite pretty this year.

- Tad

#60 2007-04-15 00:45:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Very nice! My apple tree isn't in bloom (if that's the correct expression) yet. The leaves haven't even quite come out yet.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#61 2007-04-22 11:47:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*starts building a shrine to the weather gods*

we need some rain, PLEASE! Yes, the sunshine is very pretty, the warmth is very nice, but it's so dry! (And besides, rain'd make being locked up in school a little more bearable).

- Tad

#62 2007-04-23 23:55:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The other day I had a laugh at myself.

I stand beside my apple tree and look at the buds, noticing that the tree still isn't blossoming. Not five minutes later I stand a little further away and notice all the flowers in the top of the tree. (About ten centimeters higher than I had been looking at.) :)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#63 2007-04-30 11:58:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*curls up on the dry ground and weeps*

we need some rain, pleeeease!
I don't think we've had more than 3 days of rain this month - and even then, it wasn't much, can't have been more than a millimeter, the ground was hardly wet - it was as if the sky was mocking us.
It breaks my heart to see everything so burnt and dried-up. There are places in our garden where the grass has just turned to hay. I mean, I can water my vegetables and flowers, but think of all the fields, the meadows, the forests... I can't bear it.

I swear, when it rains - when it really rains, not just one of these little drizzles - I'll go outside and dance in the rain until I'm sopping wet! (Unless I'm at school and it rains during the night - I can't get outside then because the doors are locked. Although - no, I will not climb out onto the roof of the entrance hall!

Oh, please, please, rain!

- Tad

#64 2007-04-30 14:24:00

Em
Mantis

Sounds like we need a rain dance!

Christopher was asking the astronomer
"Can your telescope tell me where the sun's gone?"
And I'm still sittin' with my next door neighbour
Sayin', "Where'd ya get the gun, John?"

Don't ya wanna rain dance with me?

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#65 2007-04-30 23:48:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Despite the lack of rain here, the plants are holding up pretty well. But that's probably due to our high ground water level. I've been watering my plants every night lately. The plant that I think is a grape has really been booming since I started it. (And also a lot of other plants that I think are probably weeds.)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#66 2007-05-04 13:44:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*looks at the sky imploringly*

rain... I know you're going to come - so hurry up, will you!

- Tad

#67 2007-05-04 13:59:00

Em
Mantis

Magpie - yer have to dance around the backyard in yer knickers to get it to rain.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#68 2007-05-04 14:06:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

If it doesn't rain tomorrow, I might just do that!

- Tad

#69 2007-05-04 17:11:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It's raining, it's RAINING!

I was on my way to bed, closing the curtains, when I saw raindrops on my window! I actually jumped half a metre into the air, I was so happy!
I had almost forgotted what rain sounds like.

And yes, I know - I promised - but it's 1 AM, I think the dancing-in-the-rain-until-I'm-sopping-wet will have to wait.

*dances with joy nevertheless*

- Tad

#70 2007-05-05 08:09:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*has now become sopping wet*
with much silly hopping-and-dancing around the garden.
Though it would have been even funnier if I had been in a crowded street and it had rained really strongly, so that everyone would flee inside, and I'd be left outside alone, enjoying the rain.

- Tad

#71 2007-05-05 08:47:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

i prefer my parent's garden for rain-dancing:D

question:how long does it take herbs(chive,basil and parsley to name them buggers)to be fully grown,so i can actually use them for cooking?they look like they did on their third day of growing and have not changed so far(two weeks ago)

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#72 2007-05-05 08:55:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

are you growing them from seed?
basil shouldn't take more than a couple of weeks I think, parsley... hmm, doesn't grow that quick,  and I can't remember how long mine usually takes... two or three months, I'd guess.
And chives I've never grown from seed, but I would expect a few months as well.

And about the rain: sometimes I find it funny to be stared at - usually I hate it, but sometimes I do things just so people will think, "what kind of nutter is she?"

- Tad

#73 2007-05-05 09:01:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

from seeds,yeah

alright then,no need to worry i think

@nutters:we're the best:D

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#74 2007-05-07 04:50:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

My first request: how to prune an apple tree. The card said no more than "cut the vertical branches and leave the horizontal ones" and it also mentioned the best time for pruning being winter, but that july 1 was fine too. (There is no rush to answer this, as it will probably be ages before I have a pruning thingy, let alone before I have the time to actually do it.)

I really like that tree, but I also love the fact that it still is a rather smallish tree.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#75 2007-05-07 16:07:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

I bought my first spring flowers: Three calibrachoa.

Pretty sunset-colored flowers. :)

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

Board footer