Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2007-03-25 13:02:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: The Botanimaniac's Gardens

not too hard. With sets, you just plant them in spring and leave them during the summer, until the leaves turn yellow. But, I'm not sure how much they'd like shaded and moist conditions.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#27 2007-03-27 11:50:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I still haven't managed to plant my stawberries - still trying to find the strawberry bed under all those grasses and ...wildflowers. Where I haven't pulled them up yet, the bed looks like a part of the (rather messy) lawn. Where I have, it looks like a battlefield. Will cost me at least another day's work.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#28 2007-03-27 14:16:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Magpie.... I have a botanical question... my mum gave my this really lovely pot of daffodils... But now the flowery bits have all gone wilted... is it possible to cut the stems off and re-use the bulbs??? Because I just love them and it would be such a waste to throw them away!!!

Oh and while I'm at it... what plant would you advise me to buy, knowing I'm the worst car-taker of plants you ever knew, I will be sharing the plant with a cat and I do not like cacti????

Thanks sooooo much!!!

*huggles*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#29 2007-03-27 21:50:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

daffodils: cut off the flowers, but not the leaves - leave those alone until they go yellow (because the plant needs them for photosynthesis).

On the plant I'll have to think a bit.

- Tad

#30 2007-03-28 12:07:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Done with the strawberry bed. All the weeds pulled up, and the edges lined with large stones, so that next year I can at least see where the lawn ends and the bed begins. ;)  So tomorrow I can actually plant the strawberries. And perhaps get the last two flowerbeds in order, too.

- Tad

#31 2007-03-28 12:20:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

oh, and Libra: I haven't been able to do as much thinking as I'd have liked, what with work being so crazy - just no time to wander through the hothouses, looking at plants and thinking.
So the only thing that comes to my mind as pretty hard to kill are yuccas - and they have rather hard leaves, too, so if I were a cat, I wouldn't be tempted to chew on them. (Can't really say what a cat would do, since we trained Gandalf rather well - he knows better than to touch any of our plants or, in fact, do so much as sniff it - and he spends most of his time outside, so he can eat all the grass he wants).

But I managed to think about daffodils a bit:
If you intend to keep them in the pot: Bulbs are usually planted in a substrate that's rather low in nutrients (since they have those stored in the bulb anyway) - but after flowering, the plant needs to collect new reserves, so it would be good to repot them now, or at least give them some fertilizer. And keep them outside. Daffodils need a period of cold so they'll flower.

- Tad

#32 2007-03-28 13:29:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Cool thank you!!!

*decides to re-pot the daffodils*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#33 2007-03-29 12:08:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

almost done with the flower beds - just the tiny one by the back hedge left. Strawberries are planted, too. And then for the vegetable garden...
I brought a tray of forget-me-nots home from work today - 5 blue ones, 5 pink ones and 5 white ones. I'll have to plant them tomorrow. And I need to get some more flowers tomorrow - some violas for the back garden, and some mixed spring flowers - pansies, violas, forget-me-nots and daisies - as an Easter present for my granny.
And I totally need to take some pictures of the garden, too. So pretty now.

- Tad

#34 2007-04-02 10:01:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

sometimes I hate my father. Like now.
Last year he had the brilliant idea to put a couple of boards on top of the compost heap  -the theory being, I think, that the rain wouldn't wash out the nutrients). In practice, however, the result was this: everything dry as dust, therefore none of it could decompose, and instead of good compost, I do now have a pile of dry leaves and grass and branches. And I NEED that compost! *sobs* oh, how I hate him! And why didn't I think about this sooner?

- Tad

#35 2007-04-02 10:06:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well wouldn't the rain wash out the nutrients INTO the garden?

Poor you!

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#36 2007-04-02 10:12:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

it would, but it would wash it into the lawn, where we don't need it as much as in the vegetable garden.
And on fresh compost it's not that much of a problem - only when it's "finished".
I'd have thought he knew compost needs moisture.

- Tad

#37 2007-04-02 10:12:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

as said in the mint:get horse-poo as alternative;)

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#38 2007-04-02 10:17:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm thinking about visiting the people I used to work for in the summers (owners of a organic vegetable farm) and ask them if they could spare any compost. And use lots of mulch.
The things I need to sow now should do well enough without compost, but the pumpkins and others that need lots of nutrients...

- Tad

#39 2007-04-02 10:19:00

Em
Mantis

The dry leaves should work well as mulch, eh? We use pine straw and live oak leaves for mulch here.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#40 2007-04-02 10:23:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

they're the most silly kind of leaves - so large they'll always be blown away. :(

- Tad

#41 2007-04-02 10:30:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

if my dad hadn't reduced gardening to a minimum,i'd say come over to my place in lower austria and get some of ours:) we used to have two HUGE heaps lying/crawling(at least,it seemed to little sisterdew) around in the garden...

#42 2007-04-02 12:00:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

alright. calmer now.

*pulls battered seed packets out of pocket*
radishes, carrots, parsley, parsnips and red orache sowed, onions planted.

Been thinking... I'll manage somehow... somehow... Allow my mother her experiments a la Sepp Holzer (austrian pioneer of permaculture), who suggested putting kitchen waste directly on the ground rather than collecting them on a compost heap and then spreading the compost; collect every scrap of organic material that can be used as mulch - starting tomorrow.
And trying to see the positive side of things: less work (I have no time anyway!), and it forces my parents to admit we need a third compost heap (which I've been saying since we moved here) - there is just no more room for any more on the two we have.
And, last but not least, after this shock I just have to go and buy lettuce plants and spinach seeds (and arugula, too, although - or because - my father dislikes them. *grumble* I know it's childish, but I had half a mind not to sow any of his sacred runner beans this year. But yeah. I just can't be that angry that long.) and some more flowers.

Still... why did this have to happen?
I would be equally angry if we had had no compost for a different reason. But now I'm also angry at Papa for doing this stupid thing, and a bit at myself, for not thinking about this sooner. and hey, he is my father, you'd think it'd be his task to repair my blunder. And it's made even more painful by the fact that it was from him that I got my love for gardening. And now he forgets something that has been as obvious as the fact that grass is green since I was twelve. Will teach me not to trust him any longer. And... it's dreadfully sad, but he has now lost much of the respect I had left for him.

- Tad

#43 2007-04-02 12:02:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

wow. such a lot of emotion about a bit of compost. typical.

- Tad

#44 2007-04-03 12:37:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

This was sort of funny today: There's this guy from the tree nursery who usually gets on my nerves by askingquestions I do not want to answer, and even more, by tugging my plait - nobody is allowed to touch my hair!
But today - he was working with us because he has some problem with his foot and is not allowed to stand, and we have some work to be done sitting at a table (which I hate!) - I got along with him better than ever before, after he agreed that compost-less-ness is a reason to be desperate. And it turned out he's the first person I know at work who is interested in organic gardening. And that he - just like me - sometimes dreams of owning a organic farm. (Although we still disagreed about many other things). He also made some suggestions about organic fertilizers I could use. Cheered me up a lot.

[ April 03, 2007: Message edited by: Magpie ]

- Tad

#45 2007-04-03 13:55:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Heheh! Try thinking of answers he doesn't want to hear!

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#46 2007-04-03 21:48:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

wish I could.
*is not particularly witty, especially when talking*

- Tad

#47 2007-04-04 00:16:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh me neither, but aren't there questions he's repeating? Witticisms can be rehearsed/practiced. ;) Just try to imagine what kind of questions he COULD ask.

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#48 2007-04-04 09:33:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

i planted my coffee-beans yesterday:D (only three yet,want to find out if i can make them grow at all first)

and got me a herb-garden for the window-sill,chives,parsley and basil for yummy cooking
(nothing like scrambled eggs with freshly chopped chive on a sunday morning*rubs tummy*)

#49 2007-04-04 10:15:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

wild garlic (Bärlauch) is still the best. *nod*

I got some Chinese Chives/Oriental Garlic at work today. Apparently something between chives and garlic. Wonder how I'll like it?

- Tad

#50 2007-04-04 10:24:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

bäääärlauch rocks!we usually go and pick it ourselves(my dad knows a few good places)-very carefull,of course
i want more herbs,though,thyme,and rosemary.and marjoram.at least!

i know the oriental (or chinese)garlic where the garlic bulb is one big clove-it's tastier,but hasn't got the "true" garlic taste(i doubt it's good against vampires and such)

Board footer