Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#101 2008-10-01 06:30:09

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Re: Otherland could be a WoW killer!

I'd say yes.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#102 2008-10-01 06:32:12

strangeshe
Hierarch

and so it is. :)

#103 2008-10-01 08:00:15

strangeshe
Hierarch

Mwaha. Just found our discussion thread from Smarch last year....

Shadowmarch: Otherland could be WoW killer!

#104 2008-10-01 13:01:03

Maladroit
Pilgrim

*squeeeeee*

Okay, but somebody's going to have to 'splain how to play to me...(fresh meat and all that)

Maladroit, are you suggesting that imaginary chickens have no feelings?

You better be careful with that, or we might get boycotted -- well, chickencotted, I guess.  And that would make for a very paltry poultry party.  Which would be a pity.
-Tad

#105 2008-10-01 17:05:52

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

I guess I can die happy now ^^

I'm totally happy that there's working on an MMOG for Otherland. On top of it a german company is producing it, I guess that's the first big MMOG for Germany as well. (at least one thing we germans can be proud of now ;P)

Already posted some information from here in german and linked to gamershell on giga.de (That's a big german Gamingsite which has a telecast about all kind of games (in german of course: Giga livestream)
Guess there's no problem with that now?

I wish you best luck

#106 2008-10-02 00:32:51

cyan
Mantis

Maladroit wrote:

Okay, but somebody's going to have to 'splain how to play to me...(fresh meat and all that)

.... and here I was counting on you to give me pointers!

Really.  I'm still working on Zork III.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#107 2008-10-04 09:26:07

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

So, any information about how creative we can be in the game?
Currently we know that we can costumize our characters, but what's about an own little room (like Orlando's in the network, or Konohamaru's in Otherland). Amazing would be an own world, but I doubt that'll come. Though I hope so ;)

#108 2008-10-04 13:57:30

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Cho Cho wrote:

So, any information about how creative we can be in the game?
Currently we know that we can costumize our characters, but what's about an own little room (like Orlando's in the network, or Konohamaru's in Otherland). Amazing would be an own world, but I doubt that'll come. Though I hope so ;)

From the info that's out there, it sounded like they would have it so that when you die you're returned to your "room", so it appears they've at least loosely adhered to that idea, which is really cool, IMO.

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#109 2008-10-06 20:59:47

LightWarriorK
Pilgrim

[aside] I just really found this site when I heard about the MMO from IGN.com, but I'm by no means a TW newbie.  I was hooked from the moment I read The Dragonbone Chair...shoot, near 14 years ago, and I'm eagerly awaiting Shadowrise.  Anyways, I'm glad to be here.  With any luck, I'll find time to stick around.[/aside]

I left a similar note in the Dog Blog responses:

Could Otherland be a WOW killer?  Maybe.  I don't play MMOs because I just don't have the time and they're usually not worth the money.  For me to sign up, a game has to be more than the sum of its parts, and Otherland will have to be no exception....otherwise I'll just reread the books.

How could Otherland be a WoW killer?  That's a tall order.  I, of course, speak for myself in saying that I don't think it needs to be a WoW killer.  The world is plenty big enough for two MMOs, and unless Thargor's world by itself is a match for WoW, Otherland really isn't going to pull in the hardcore medival fantasy crowd.

So personally, I don't think that Otherland needs to try and kill WoW, but I do think that if I, personally, am going to play it, it needs to offer something that 1)WoW doesn't, because I don't even play that, and 2)I don't get from reading the Otherland books.

I think the gaming world was turned on its ear when Spore came out.  I've followed Spore all through its development, and am a moderator of the Sporeum forums.  What Spore has done with their "Sporepedia" is nothing short of amazing.  The game, while running, is directly linked to the servers, which can simultaneously be accessed via Spore.com.  Things you do on one affect the other.  I have since wondered, "why can't other games do this?"

What I would love to see from Otherland, and what may actually get me to spend the money and play the thing, is if I logged onto the game....wandered around Lambda Mall....and remembered that I wanted to buy a new iPod.  I could stop playing and drive to a retailer, or go to apple.com....or I could just walk (or fly, etc) to a commercial node in the Mall and walk into a virtual iPod Store.  There would be the products I want to buy on virtual shelves and in 3D models that I could spin around, and then purchase like I was buying it online.  Extend this to a number of large online stores, like Amazon, Barnes and Noble, etc., and you have a feature that no MMO has so far.

Or take the next step.  Have "cafes" that are essentially websites like this one, or IGN, or IMDB, or Ain't It Cool News, where we could go and actually converse with people.  Tailor them to a theme in a world....say, a fantasy website/cafe on Thargor's world, or a Star Trek website/cafe on the Mars world.

Or take the next step.  Have Gmail and Google windows accessable through your GUI in/game.  You wouldn't have to even minimize your window, you just get a flashing icon as you're playing.  Tie it into Instant Messenger even. 

Far fetched?  Yeah.  It's kind of a crazy-nerd dream.  But it'd make the MMO experience more than what we have with WoW.  AND it's what the source material of the Otherland series was all about.  Spore started it, Next-Gen gaming systems do it in some capacity, and it's just up to the right game to come along and take the next step.

And honestly, I think it'd be a great legacy of the books if it could start us down that path towards actual virtual networks.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm not sure how active I'm going to be here yet, and I wanted to get that all out.  If you've read it all and kept up with it, you have my thanks.  If you're not laughing your heads off thinking me the fool, you have it twice.

#110 2008-10-07 00:49:02

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

Well I'm not laughing lightwarrior, but im just sick of people comparing MMO's with each other. WoW is crap, and I dont see anything in Spore.

But since they announced Otherland as an MMO and not as an MMORPG, there should be totaly no reason to compare such with it anymore.

#111 2008-10-07 04:24:10

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

I think the title of this thread is misleading.  Otherland won't affect WoW much.  It'll be too different, which is a GOOD thing.  It also means it has a better chance of suceeding.

I haven't played spore.  I'm impressed with the creature generation capabilities (though obviously it lead to some, err...disturbing creations (all to be seen on youtube)).  Makes me wonder if that phenomenon will lead to restrictions in sim capabilities in Otherland.  If I port out to the mars world just to get beat to the ground by a giant penis, that might detract from my enjoyment of the game.

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

#112 2008-10-07 10:29:59

strangeshe
Hierarch

I was flipping back through COGS last night & was reminded that in the book, anyway, user sims were required to be humanoid pretty much everywhere except in TreeHouse.

I'm betting that will be part of the game desgin.... but I could be wrong.

I'd rather not have a giant Martian penis beating me either. ;D

#113 2008-10-08 01:31:40

bumadax
Pilgrim
Website

make ubisoft do it!!

#114 2008-10-09 03:16:01

Cho Cho
Pilgrim

Any information about monthly payments yet?
Would be neat if they rather put some commercial in Lambda Mall (or maybe just to lower payments)

#115 2008-10-09 04:36:33

TreeHouse
Pilgrim
Website

strangeshe wrote:

. . . user sims were required to be humanoid pretty much everywhere except in TreeHouse. . .

Can't wait to see how TreeHouse fits into the game :)

Shoes!

#116 2008-10-09 05:10:07

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

Can't wait to break the game enough to construct our own treehouse. (I do so hope that'll be possible, at the same time as suspecting they'll be far too heavyhanded with not allowing things which weren't in the original design.)
Still, if it does happen, we'll have to be certain to scribble "forum 9" on a wall somewhere. ^_^

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

#117 2008-10-09 06:09:20

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

And we can make a slew of user-generated quests, all seeking information about "the place that does not exist"

#118 2008-10-16 19:27:25

Displacement
Pilgrim

There is a lot of great news here!

I hope there are plenty of 'meeting places' like the TreeHouse, because that's what makes the MMO aspect work.  That and a constant backlog of Missions, Quests, and Jobs.  What I noticed in my trial of WoW was that you never had just 1 mission - there were always 5 or 6 in your journal, and the "just one more" craving was easy to satisfy.  These games are addictive when they're great.

Best of luck working on this project.  I'll be the first on the preorder list when it's ready!

Board footer