Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-03-19 19:23:00

kiddork
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Otherland could be a WoW killer!

Depends what you're looking for. I like narrative in my game--Second Life is more of a social thing. And since I'm anti-social, not so much with the love.

#52 2007-03-22 13:36:00

Earthmanu
Pilgrim

Here is a question for the mysterious Mister Tad Williams :

A 10% ratio in the OTHERLAND MMO contract ?

For each twenty developers who will work on the MMO project for the contracted company, I hope that at least two of them will have the wisdom of a direct experience of being in a wheelchair or lacking good eyesight (or lacking good hearing or good speech ability).

Otherwise, the OTHERLAND MMO will be a tiring and unfriendly place for disabled game-players (including tetraplegic-computer-players %like myself).

You have probably thought already about such matters but overwork may have distracted you...

- My former pseudo in the french minitel roleplaying community AKELA
was "GAG THE FOOL" , for about one thousand hours ...
- I wish to share experience about
1/writing rpg-scenarii in Tolkien's Beleriand ... 2/teaching roleplay and impro to disabled adolescents ... 3/simulations of acrobatic kites flying

#53 2007-03-22 17:27:00

Viduus
Pilgrim
Website

Or be one-handed.

Kamiko:
"Yeah, the power of Gods. That's why we do this writing stuff anyway :P"

Cackalacky Matt Jay:
"It's to appease our inner megalomaniacs. ;-)"

#54 2007-03-22 18:53:00

Katana Wielder:Avi Stetto
Pilgrim
Website

This sounds really cool! I certainly would get it.

I just hope that it will be open for apple users, too.

(English might be nice, too)

[ March 22, 2007: Message edited by: Avi Stetto ]

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof, or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Under the First Amendment, there is no such thing as a false idea. Hover pernicious as an opinion may seem, we depend for its correction not on the conscience of judges and juries, but on the competition of other ideas. (US 1974:339)

#55 2008-01-20 08:51:07

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

I couldn't read another post after reading Tad's.

THAT is insane!  An Otherland MMO.

Okay so like, I've played MMO's since they were text-based.  I consider myself kinda like an expert, I've played so many for so long.  I'm by no means the only one but...  seriously.  When I read Otherland -- I just thought, Damn, Orlando...you're my homeboy.

I can't quite get the same feel and excitement though - because we're not plugging in!   But you gotta start somewhere I guess, right? ;)

So like - I'm thinking it wouldn't be a typical MMORPG type game, because what can you do?  Beat monsters and level up like the regular route?   I dunno, I think it would have to be similar to Second-Life.  Too bad.

However, Second-Life is almost like an incubator for something TRULY like Otherland.   

Anyone read Snow Crash?  It's also much the same.

Second-Life would be much more interesting had it better graphics... but they are so 1994 and just plain god awful I can't stand it.  I honestly don't know how people can stand it.

Just a couple of things I'd love to say to the developers.  Please, please, make it work for Mac (I use one) and wouldn't it be cool if we could play Orlando's game Middle Country -inside- this game :D  I'd love to hang out with Thargor,  group up with him, and kick some monster ass :D

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#56 2008-01-24 16:00:13

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

I think the game would work best if it was meant to be played on separate levels. Here is an example, when you create your account for the first time, you would be creating your real-life character that lives in the real world. So, in the Otherland game, when you are not plugged into the actual Net, the game would play something like the Sims perhaps. This way you could build your character and their life not just inside virtual reality, but outside as well.

Then, when you plug into the net, you would be brought to a type of virtual lobby. From here you can choose what you want to do, where to go, ect. Maybe invite friends you play with to a chat room or something, go shopping for things that would effect your character in the real-life, maybe to decorate the house, or even buy better computer equipment. Then you could also travel to areas that directly effect the game, like Otherland and such - I think it would work best to have this part like a hybrid of Myst: Uru Online and Second Life. Also, instead of just partaking in "campaign" part of the game, you could enter some zones that are just for fun games that don't neccissarily effect the story, but where you can still play games.

Like the fun zones that aren't a required play, Middle Country would work as both. Others would too. Kind of like on some games you can play offline but is recommended to go online for the best experience. And editors for Mods would really bring this concept into full-fledged reality.

So, what do you think?
Basically, I guess the simplest term would be to call it a mixture of Second Life and Myst Online, except when you would play Middle Country, which would be more traditional like WoW - with an Otherland twist.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#57 2008-01-25 06:59:46

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

That's actually quite a good idea.  Makes a lot of sense.  Of course I'd play exactly how I'd play in real life.  I'd be spending all my time inside Middle Country :D

It would be awesome if there could be some sort of user-created content as well -- which I know is like Second Life but, honestly - I mean, that's exactly what 'The Net' was in Otherland.  It was all user-created content.  Very much like Snow Crash as well.

"When the windows of perception are cleansed, man will see the universe as it truly is - infinite."

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#58 2008-01-25 13:45:02

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

About the user-created content, that is what I meant by mods. For example, games like Elder Scrolls and Neverwinter Nights, those games come with editors for people to create their own mods, which is the word for those type of things.

#59 2008-01-25 14:13:56

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

You didn't quite use the word Mod for full fledge user-created content.  Of course I know what a Mod is.   

I mean, a Mod IS user-created content. haha!  the kind of thing I was talking about wasn't prepackaged with the initial game.  What I'm saying is kinda like an open-source part of the code where people can "buy" real estate and code their own place inside the Net. 

Not just handing out cookie cutter boxes for anyone who logs in.  Though you could have both.  Certainly "The Net" had both.  The user friendly sort and the programmers buffet.

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#60 2008-01-25 16:45:14

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

I think it would be best to use a Mod type editor, but create for casual and hardcore gamers alike. So people not skilled in any coding and such tech could create something like what you talked about, as well as other things, and then also have it go into much more depth for people who want that.

By the way, has anyone here played Myst Online? I played it for a little while and enjoyed it, but couldn't play it much because of computer limitations. So if everything goes as planned and Otherland comes out as game I'll definitely get the computer I need.

Also for more of an idea on what Otherland might be like as a game, check out info on Home, the project Sony is working on for the PS3.

#61 2008-01-25 17:07:30

Dread
Pilgrim
Website

Hm, I'm not sure I like this idea - but then, I've yet to find any fancy-graphics MMORPG that has in any way enchanted me. I like them when they're as simple as possible. My favourite? No 'game' at all... just people... and some freeform roleplay.

And in that, I already have my Otherland MMORPG. ^_~

Your friendly neighbourhood obsessive-compulsive sociopath.
Items carried: A mysterious bag (1) (from Kenan), Hurricane (1) (from Em), Feather of Doom (1) (from Em), Scorpion Dagger (1), carnivorous butterflies (43)
Wildcard a/k/a Crimson Feather :: Best viewed with your eyes open!
IRC-addicts, ahoy! #dataclaw on irc.darkmyst.org? Shall we call it a date?

#62 2008-01-25 20:13:30

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

Well Myst Online is very simple and free-form (where it's fun just to explore and look at the scenery), but then add the community aspect of Second Life, and I think you could get a good MMO. Even if it wasn't Otherland I'd play it if I had the money.

#63 2008-01-26 08:19:23

Dread
Pilgrim
Website

ArcticSwan360 wrote:

Well Myst Online is very simple and free-form

Since I love Myst, I've actually been tempted to thrown myself into the frey of that, to be honest. But I've yet to give it a very serious thought, though; MMORPGs (or muhmorpugehs, as Yahztee would say) are really just not my world, I guess, not really.

Also, maybe this will help - it's really not the amount of freedom as much as the medium, I think. I guess I just like the idea of a book always remaining something book-ish even if re-imagined. Funnily enough I'm also one of those freaks who has no issues with any book in the world getting a movie squeezed out of it, and then games being made to suit the movies... but directly from book to game just isn't something I picture with much enthusiasm. So I guess I'm not very consistent. :D

Maybe the confusion came from my use of "freeform roleplay" - I tend to use that exclusively for text-based roleplaying, which has always had more in common with adventure games than it's had in common with RPGs, but since it evolved from table-top roleplaying, it's forever stigmatised! (No, I'm not honestly complaining).

So, to me, it's more the thought of something suddenly getting graphics plopped onto it, right along with my general "Meh" of MMORPGs.

I wouldn't ever and in any way seriously oppose a making of a MMORPG of Otherland, though. I just don't see myself playing it, s'all. I actually like your musings. :)

Items carried: A mysterious bag (1) (from Kenan), Hurricane (1) (from Em), Feather of Doom (1) (from Em), Scorpion Dagger (1), carnivorous butterflies (43)

#64 2008-01-26 08:31:37

Em
Mantis

Miiru wrote:

Well, bugger. Guess this means I'll have to make another go at reading it, won't I? *G*

I'll try if you try.

EDITED TO ADD: Thought to self - read it while convalescing instead of WOT monster. Idea has merit.

Last edited by Em (2008-01-26 08:33:49)

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#65 2008-01-26 08:36:34

Dread
Pilgrim
Website

*chuckles* We could all start reading simultaneously! And keep each other synchronised for some perfectly trivial, nonsensical reason: just for the fun of it. :D And then go, "Oh my god! Did you see what happened to Martine?!" at the appropriate moments and talk about it heatedly. And then continue reading.

It'd be like a TV series' marathon, except with books, and long-distance!

#66 2008-01-26 16:29:11

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

They do that all the time on Harry Potter Live Journal communities - and other book series' communities everywhere.  Stephen King message boards, you name it.  It's quite common among these internets :P

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#67 2008-01-26 16:58:40

Dread
Pilgrim
Website

...well, I suppose it would have been too much to ask; having an original idea and all that. :)

Thanks for the head's up. :D I had no idea.

#68 2008-01-26 19:54:17

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

Just think of it this way, GMTA.

Great Minds Think Alike =)

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#69 2008-01-26 20:22:35

Em
Mantis

Dread wrote:

*chuckles* We could all start reading simultaneously! And keep each other synchronised for some perfectly trivial, nonsensical reason: just for the fun of it. :D And then go, "Oh my god! Did you see what happened to Martine?!" at the appropriate moments and talk about it heatedly. And then continue reading.

It'd be like a TV series' marathon, except with books, and long-distance!

There's been several re-reads of Tad's works (several Smarchers re-reading certain books, at a certain pace), with heated discussion.
Poke around. You'll find them. I think the last was Shadowmarch, in anticipation of the release of Shadowplay.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#70 2008-02-15 23:01:43

cyan
Mantis

Everytime an Otherland re-read project is proposed, much shying-awayness occurs.  Daunting is my word for it.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#71 2008-02-16 09:54:53

Dread
Pilgrim
Website

Pff. STAMINA, people. STAMINA. ;D

#72 2008-02-16 10:46:42

pixiejen
Pilgrim
Website

It's daunting to re-read it?  That's crazy :p  I just have about 10 books already in my queue -- I need to get crackin'!

-W. Blake.

pixiejen.com

#73 2008-02-16 11:41:10

strangeshe
Hierarch

See now, an Otherland re-read would be awesome. And way overdue for me. Otherland are still my favorite Tad books, though it's only by shades.

But, I'm in on the Shadowmarch and Burning Man re-reads, so for me,  Otherland would have to wait awhile -- or I'd have to pike on one of the others....

#74 2008-02-16 16:07:35

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, I would love to put Otherland in the queue for a re-read, too! After the others. So we might even be able to get it going this year!

#75 2008-02-17 05:47:26

Aan`allein
Hierarch
Website

I'm not much of a fan of the whole organized re-read concept - but I'd probably tag along with an Otherland re-read, as that is one series which is way overdue a reread for me.

Mozilla developer comment of the however long it'll be this time:
<Mossop> run for the hills!
<Boriss> i can't, i'm at a local maximum!

Just Imagine...

Board footer