Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-02-27 18:42:00

IndigoAK
Pilgrim
Website

Otherland could be a WoW killer!

Or at least the concept.  And it would be different from the typical MMO standard that's been set by games like EverQuest and World of Warcraft.

I mean, if you think about the concept of the network and the ability to add/code new "worlds" all the time into it, the possibilities for expansions, content updates, environmental variety, gameplay mechanics, and appeal to various demographics is mind boggling.

I don't know if Tad has ever put the gaming industry in the same thought as his work, but I honestly believe that not only would an Otherland MMO be a cash cow, it would be one of the most highly regarded games of all time.

Anyone agree? :P

PS: I would subscribe to an Otherland MMO in a heartbeat.

[ February 27, 2007: Message edited by: Jonathan ]

You only have to do two things in life, die and take up space.  Everything else is up to you.

#2 2007-02-27 19:43:00

Wolfshade
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Otherland could be a WoW killer!

WoW will be killed by WoS I bet

"The rhythm is broken by continuous illumination, continuous darkness, or by decapitation." M.Morita and J.B.Best. The Journal of Experimental Zoology. 231: 273-282 (1984)

http://twitter.com/wolfshade
http://www.fullcastpodcast.com

#3 2007-02-28 06:04:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

the thing about wow is,that quests tend to get pretty boring at about level 20,so with the possible variety and maybe elements from riven or myst(more guessing and finding out than killing),otherland the mmporg would be AWESOME!:)

daisy-headed, one-eyed, one-horned, flying purple people eater!

#4 2007-02-28 20:52:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

The thing that made it more than an MMO in the books was that the NPCs had personality and reacted like real people. That would be hard to translate into a game.

Also, we don't have a psychic brainchild to be our OS.

For a dollar you could find a girl of every possible design,
But you couldn't find a decent man, or a word spoken kind.

~Rum Brave, Murder By Death

Microphobe's Art Space || The Downwright's Arena

#5 2007-02-28 22:16:00

Matt
Pilgrim
Website

Careful, you might wake Reg.

"The world up and went sane and I was left to stand alone."

-- Latigo Flint

#6 2007-02-28 22:35:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Now that is an interesting thought...

#7 2007-03-01 10:23:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Would have to have hiddedn "Easter Egg" Characters for Smarch stuff..Pineapples, Rhubarb, wandering Holy Dogs...

I used to play on a MUD a long time ago called 3-Kingdoms that had 1 Central Realm that access three others; Fantasy, Sci-Fi And Chaos. Fantasy Realm had it's usual sword and sorcery though sometimes in interesting varieties and based on original material or on books, Sci-Fi was simailar...Starwars, star trek, Dune etc...chaos Realm was anything goes..(Duplo Land was a fun newbie area).
I could easily see Otherland being a Hugely varied and constantly expandable game as folks could maybe even design their own alternative relams...
My Problem with Wow is that as a general Rule it's fairly static; you complete a chain of quest to kill some major evil...and it comes right back...not much point. I'd love to see a game that changed now and again....maybe not constantly but on a regular basis.
heck it could be fun to set up up so realms could go to war with each other and the winning side could opt to delete the losing sides realm or just reduce it to a wasteland, Realmwar! hee...yeah I could get behind this...course I'm looking forward to the Firefly/Serenity MMORPG...8)

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#8 2007-03-01 15:44:00

Tad
Hierarch
Website

We're actually in the process of negotatiating the final bits of an OTHERLAND MMO.  Serious, big-time thing.  I'll give you definitive news when I've got some.

"I'll let you be in my dreams if I can be in yours."

-- Dylan

#9 2007-03-01 16:33:00

lian
Pilgrim
Website

*dumbstruck* Are you for real?

...Well. I'd suppose you are.

*blinks*

#10 2007-03-01 17:11:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

Tad wrote:

We're actually in the process of negotatiating the final bits of an OTHERLAND MMO.  Serious, big-time thing.  I'll give you definitive news when I've got some.

That would... be rather cool.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

#11 2007-03-01 18:12:00

IndigoAK
Pilgrim
Website

Well, first let me collect my jaw from the floor.

Then let me run around screaming in a totally fangirlish nature screaming, "YES!" over and over again until I'm dragged away to some psych ward.

I really hope this comes through.  As long as it's not being developed by Sigil Games - Vanguard, Everquest, not a fan of any of them.  I'd be up for someone like NCSoft (Guild Wars, etc) or Perpetual Entertainment (Star Trek Online).

You only have to do two things in life, die and take up space.  Everything else is up to you.

#12 2007-03-01 19:44:00

Jaime
Pilgrim

Tad wrote:

Woot!

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.

-- Heinlein

#13 2007-03-01 20:42:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

What...? I... No! Forgive my skepticism, oh Dogly One! Now I truly believe!

Edit: believe in spelling correctly.

[ March 01, 2007: Message edited by: Micron ]

For a dollar you could find a girl of every possible design,
But you couldn't find a decent man, or a word spoken kind.

~Rum Brave, Murder By Death

Microphobe's Art Space || The Downwright's Arena

#14 2007-03-01 21:23:00

IndigoAK
Pilgrim
Website

@ Micron:

The non-interactivity from NPCs is solvable.  Cyan and GameTap use paid actors for their NPCs in Myst Online; people that are paid money to sit at their computer and portray the characters they're assigned to, both in text and audio.

Granted, Myst Online is on a much smaller scale than an Otherland MMO probably would be, but with slight modifications to the forumla it could be possible.

Or.

They could go the route of Second Life, but in a  much more controlled and structured sense.  See, the way that I remember is that the Internet in Otherland functioned essentially the way it does now on the fundamental levels.  There are no NPCs on the Internet; everything is controlled by *someone*.

Or.

They could combine the two.  To me, an Otherland MMO would be about the experience of playing around in this infinitely modifiable computer network.  Gaming's equivalent of the Internet.  In the meantime, the developers could create side stories that aren't required, but are there for those people who want to partake in them.  I think it would be a bad idea for an Otherland MMO to make it a linear and mandatory storyline.  It would ruin what made Otherland and its concept so fantastic.  Unlike Second Life, though, I'm strongly against the inclusion of some sort of real-world economic binding.  I want to be able to hand in my subscription fee and play the game and not have to buy all of these things just to do this or that.

#15 2007-03-01 23:41:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

I really hope Otherland doesn't take the Second Life route, because I really don't want some of my favorite books to be tainted by the sale of dog penises in all shapes and sizes.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

#16 2007-03-01 23:44:00

Viduus
Pilgrim
Website

Otherland MMO.

hmm.

Is this the mystery project Raph Koster's been hiding with his new company?

I can't wait for whatever he does next. I *so* can't stand the linear trains of thought of all the other mmo devs out there.

And I can't wait for *anything* to break out of the quake engine mold. Anything at all.

Kamiko:
"Yeah, the power of Gods. That's why we do this writing stuff anyway :P"

Cackalacky Matt Jay:
"It's to appease our inner megalomaniacs. ;-)"

#17 2007-03-06 18:04:00

ArcticSwan360
Pilgrim
Website

I've always thought it would be a sweet game franchise, and hopefully Tad will have enough control behind it to make it work.

http://thewritersguild.spaces.live.com/

I'd greatly appreciate comments on my blog.
It will be about reading, writing, gaming, movies, tv and more.
Thank You, and rember: Join Today! The Guild Needs You!

#18 2007-03-07 01:56:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

Tad wrote:

i suppose i have enough time to get me my very own computer until it comes out,yes?:)

#19 2007-03-10 18:53:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Well, bugger. Guess this means I'll have to make another go at reading it, won't I? *G*

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#20 2007-03-10 18:53:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

'kay.... That had me dumbstruck....and that does not happen a lot....

*fidgets*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#21 2007-03-10 18:58:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Which? That Otherland may be an MMO, or that I hadn't read it?

-wiked
-bandit

#22 2007-03-10 19:03:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Well... the MMO at first...but...You have not read Otherland???

*shakes head and feels deeply sad*

*forgets for a moment that her otherland books have been borrowed by someone ages ago and she has yet to ask them back*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#23 2007-03-10 19:58:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

I have not. I started ages ago and couldn't get in, which annoys me because I know they're damn good books.

I did something similar with LotR. I started the trilogy when I was eleven or twelve and had to set it aside and come back in my late teens. When I tried the second time, I devoured the books in a matter of a couple of days.

-wiked
-bandit

#24 2007-03-10 20:23:00

Em
Mantis

Same here, Miiru. Maybe after Shadowplay, I'll pick them up again.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#25 2007-03-11 06:42:00

sisterdew
Pilgrim

i read otherland one about two years ago and although i liked it i didn't feel the urge to read on until october last year..(and have now to wait till august,cos the german paperback of the fourth doesn't come out until then...,and i hate it..course i could get it in english,but i like to stay with the language i've chosen)

Board footer