Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-01-10 13:03:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: to ramble about our stories some more......

but the best is without doubt when I can think of an English word that describes exactly what I want to write, but I just can't think of a german word. Just happened again. But I'm not going to look it up until it's time for the rewrite.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#52 2007-01-10 15:53:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Finished my reread. Took me days. *sigh*

I was really surprised by some of it, that's for certain.

One good thing (in the new tradition of trying to avoid being negative about everything), I noticed a marked improvement over the course of the story. Some of the last chapters were actually decent.

Now I have to go to my paperwork and see what I had/have planned and where I pick up.

*is excited again*

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#53 2007-01-11 12:13:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I do not think I've had so much energy for writing since I started this story. I do not even read any more except during breaks at work (and that only because I can not write while eating - eating while writing is not a problem, however).
I wish I had more time, though. I doubt I even write 1000 words a day. And yet, it's so lovely.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#54 2007-01-15 12:20:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Still enjoying it very much. Conversations have taken odd, unexpected turns, allowing me to write things I wanted to happen, but then considered very unlikely - now they are likely enough.

- Tad

#55 2007-01-15 12:41:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

and now I realize I've written my poor Emma into a wild discussion with dozens of people, and I have no idea how to get her out of it.

- Tad

#56 2007-01-15 12:47:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Napalm.

Cures *everything*.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#57 2007-01-15 12:52:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*considers briefly*

I'd have loads of terrorists in that country...but it wouldn't make sense for them to attack the university. *g*

- Tad

#58 2007-01-15 13:01:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

bah. I give up. Everyone is yelling at everyone. And I should be in bed already.

... I suppose if it continues like this, it will get so chaotic that Emma and Mona can just slip away quietly, and few people will remember it was them who started it.

- Tad

#59 2007-01-15 15:43:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

What? So no napalm? Geez.

I have something terrible dark and embarassing to admit. Oh, dudes, I just don't even like thnking about it, what I've done...

I'm writing something new.

It's gonna be short, a novella, methinks, but I just couldn't say no when they came by and asked--most politely, considering--if I would pleasepleaseplease write their story, at least just a little.

Not that I'm leaving the other alone or behind or whathaveyou. It's being tweaked a bit. There are some serious inconsistancies that I need to rearrange before I project farther forward. So, I'm doing that, too. :)

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#60 2007-01-16 12:11:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Jendaiya wrote:

I'm writing something new.

It's gonna be short, a novella, methinks, but I just couldn't say no when they came by and asked--most politely, considering--if I would pleasepleaseplease write their story, at least just a little.

That's how Emma came to me. Actually, she started as half a page in a notebook, written during a boring lesson at school. And then, at least half a year later, I found that half-a-page again during a boring lecture at university, and then she came up to me, asking, "Wouldn't you like to write about me? It's just a tiny little story, really."

- Tad

#61 2007-01-16 12:15:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And I'm still being exceptionally quiet at work - usually we have a complete comedy show going on there, but now, I hardly say anything except "So what's this called?", "Where do I put these?" and "Yes, of course"., because I can't stop thinking about the story (and I curse the radio more than ever. It's soo distracting!)

- Tad

#62 2007-02-04 09:55:00

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

AAAhhhhhhhhh!!!!

This story's itching in my brain....I know it's there somewhere...I just need to find the outer borders....I've got the beginning...I've got the end....but the middle keeps cracking up....
I keep staring at the written down characters...knowing they have soething to tell me, but I'm too thick to get it...

*smacks brain*

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#63 2007-02-04 13:37:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Try slamming your head into your keyboard. Works every time.

My problem with this story is keeping it from spiraling into something so much bigger than it needs to be. Okay, that's my problem with every story. Starts with something tiny, like an image. Next thing I know I'm working on a trilogy or more. I need to learn how to limit myself. I've not really got the skill to make stories as big as my mind wants them to be.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#64 2007-02-04 13:50:00

Em
Mantis

Jen -

I have the same exact problem with my programs - they tend to spiral out of control, unless tightly constrained. I have to chart them out and STICK TO THE CHART. Otherwise, they become these monster things that, while they work, they don't do what they originally were supposed to do, and I have to start all over.

Seems they have a life of their own. Or (shudders at the thought), is programming really a sentient being, trying to come into being in this dimension, but the right code hasn't been written yet? Is it manipulating us from another dimension to write the code that will bring it across? *eek* (Sometimes I scare myself.)

~ Em

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#65 2007-02-04 17:47:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Em wrote:

Seems they have a life of their own. Or (shudders at the thought), is programming really a sentient being, trying to come into being in this dimension, but the right code hasn't been written yet? Is it manipulating us from another dimension to write the code that will bring it across? *eek* (Sometimes I scare myself.)

~ Em

Now if you worry about creating sentient code, imagine my worries, in creating gods and worlds.

I wonder what it is a sign of, when we feel our creations coming to life around us? Does Tad ever feel this way? Why do I doubt it? Why do I think that feeling this way is the mark of a less-than-professional mind? Something lacking, whether it be in creativity or objectivity. Ah, well.

*shrugs*

It's fun, after all. :)

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#66 2007-02-05 00:00:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

I'm starting to have a story build up in my mind right now, but I don't really have any clear characters, just outlines right now.  There's a guy, his girlfriend, a little girl, a dead movie actress, and a priest.  There might be a private investigator hanging around somewhere, as well.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

#67 2007-02-06 13:17:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

I just finished writing up my cahracter profiles. twenty-five pages and two days of work. I haven't had nearly enough time to write these past fewmonths and it's driving me carzy.

Anyway, i've got the people figured, for the most part. Now I've gotta plt it out well. Then write. Gods, a girl couldd go mad waiting fro writing time to happen.

Typos and spellng error left, cuz my finers hurt.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#68 2007-02-07 05:22:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

I'm near the end of my story and I sort of know how everything will work our but just can't seem to 'find the time' to write it.

I think my subconscious is afraid of not having something to write...

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#69 2007-02-07 13:22:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I'm being very disciplined right now. I'm writing each day *nodnod*. For a whole month now.
First two weeks in a real writing craze, where I wrote as much as time would allow me. Now I'm on a boring part again, but I tell myself to just keep writing, even if it's oinly a sentence a day. I believe leaving out even one day would break the spell. But if I keep going, however slowly, eventually I'll reach one of the parts I'm looking forward to.

- Tad

#70 2007-02-07 13:57:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

A boring part!?

Nooooo!

Kill people, drop napalm (cures EVERYTHING), add dragons, war, clowns, bunnies, anything, except a *boring* part.

;p

I'm working on the part that I find annoying. My bad guy is walking around, looking a might feverish, muttering "What's my motivation?"

Ducks? Naplam? Soup?

At this point, who knows?

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#71 2007-02-07 15:50:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Jendaiya wrote:

A boring part!?

Nooooo!

Kill people, drop napalm (cures EVERYTHING), add dragons, war, clowns, bunnies, anything, except a *boring* part.

;p

I'm working on the part that I find annoying. My bad guy is walking around, looking a might feverish, muttering "What's my motivation?"

Ducks? Naplam? Soup?

At this point, who knows?

Vote 1 Soup!

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#72 2007-02-07 21:40:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

soup is the reason for all things.

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#73 2007-02-07 21:43:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

oh, and also, twenty-five pages and two days on character profiles? christ you crazy lady! ;)

i'm so totally lazy when it comes to that stuff. i usually don't know jack all about my characters till i start shoving them in random awkward places and seeing what they'll do. usually i don't even know their names when i do it, either.

also, em: i'm soon going to make even more confusing that question you have about whether or not scout is gay. BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#74 2007-02-08 11:08:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

looks like I did indeed break the spell - but in a different way than I expected: I did write during the whole busride to work today. Am almost finished with the letter which was boring me. Now, I need to decide what my character will do when she's finished... right now, I'm completely clueless.
And it's hard to find time to think about it, between reading and work - which is demanding more brain capacity than usual. Another reason why i dislike paperwork. To quote Morgenes, "One should treasure those humdrum tasks that keep the body occupied but leave the heart and mind unfettered".

another thing: I find it an interesting coincidence that the day the writing craze started was the 8th of January, and if my memory hasn't deserted me completely, this is the day on which Isabel Allende always writing a new book.

- Tad

#75 2007-02-08 14:35:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

ceywren wrote:

oh, and also, twenty-five pages and two days on character profiles? christ you crazy lady! ;)

Is that too much, or not enough?

I kinda feel that I need to do more, mostly cuz it's fun, but I have to do some plot work first and then add more to the people. Then some world work. Nobody told me it'd be difficult, writing a book (or several books). I loves it to bits, but it sure makes my brain ache.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

Board footer