Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-11-27 18:05:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

Re: to ramble about our stories some more......

i'm feeling guardedly pleased about my most recent chapters. wads having a bit of trouble starting this last one off but it's going now and it's almost done and i think i can manage to be happy with it for now. *bes happy*

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#27 2006-12-01 14:54:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

It's december. I'm officially on holiday from writing until January. This is a tradition I began several years back and it's always been good to me. I come back in the new year all refreshed and ready to write.

I may use this next week for writing because my husband is away and that doesn't happen very often.

It's a good place for me to stop. I've been feeling all dumb and discouraged. Better to take a few days break rather than tossing and turning and worrying.

Heh. Just talking about taking time off has me looking forward to the new year. :)

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#28 2006-12-01 15:36:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

It's December?! Then I've been working on the "Emma" story for over a year now! I started the earliest version at the end of November last year, during an impossibly tedious "Basics of Law" lecture.
I really need to get on with this!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#29 2006-12-01 17:39:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Its alright Magpie. Take as long as you want, tis not a race.

I'm three years and counting. The key is to keep progressing, not to progress fast.

*sagenod*

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#30 2006-12-01 17:41:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

yeah, but I finally want to get to the happier bits. right now everything is so depressing. and boring.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#31 2006-12-01 22:24:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

*gets the whip out* come on magpie! chop chop!

kay that was a joke. promise. i started my current project as soon as i got back from vancouver last year pretty much on november 1st. i wrote straight through till ,aybe mid january when i finished my first draft. started my second draft as soon as the first was done, stopped starting it by the middle of february and barely even glanced in its direction, never mind actually write anything until october.

so don't worry magpie, things progress at their own pace and a lot of times it works best if you just let them.

and also, it seriously can't be healthy to sit in a room by yourself and make things up. *is so unhealthy*

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#32 2006-12-02 22:29:00

Malachy_Sunblade
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, I'm totally gonna hang around and enjoy the spirit of this room...

Where writing is concerned, it goes like this...

After fighting for MONTHS on the friggin' murder mystery I started writing last year, I went through and polished it this spring, before finally managing to pull off the ending.  I'd had the ending plotted out for a while, but there was a three chapter space in there that I was having an absolutely horrid time connecting the two points of the story.  I finally solved it this past spring and set about polishing it.  Well, I haven't gotten any real writing done since... see Halls of Fire for brief explanation.  But I've got a month off coming up around Christmas time, and assuming I can get any peace and quiet (am currently living with my daughter, my brother and a friend of his) I intend to finish polishing that bad boy and send that sucker off for my first REJECTION!!! WHOO HOO!!!

Then, hopefully after the divorce is finalized, which should take a few months based on custodial battles, it'll get published and I will freely give out location information to anybody who wants a signed copy...  meaning to my mom and my self-designated agent and next door neighbor... maybe one or two others... and definitely one for my soon to be ex, just to prove that I actually did it.

Speaking of that, it's kind of an interesting experience to get a friend like him to help your writing... he makes floggers and whips for a living, so, uh, talk about PRESSURE.  Everyone should have one *grins*

"A strong enough metaphor creates its own truth" M.W. Stover, The Blade of Tyshall.

#33 2006-12-02 22:33:00

Malachy_Sunblade
Pilgrim
Website

Oops, I forgot to add, this spring I had also set about doing the (hopefully) final rewrite on my monster manuscript.  I still haven't finished it yet, though, the damned thing's gonna be a trilogy by the time I'm done... I keep finding places to kick up the detail and so on.  The plot and characters are solid, but man, you know?  I'm not talking about Jordoning it or anything, taking fifty pages to describe a glen, but good detail is necessary.

Once I finish off the murder mystery, I'll probably set about to working on the monster again, reworking the last few chapters and finishing the rest of the beast... if I continue at the pace I set myself before... I should be done and published by 2009 or 2010 if I'm lucky.  I concentrated on the murder mystery because it's a much easier project and it should be easier to get published, all in all.

"A strong enough metaphor creates its own truth" M.W. Stover, The Blade of Tyshall.

#34 2006-12-05 08:44:00

ThistleKing
Pilgrim
Website

Genisis X wrote:

Its alright Magpie. Take as long as you want, tis not a race.

I'm three years and counting. The key is to keep progressing, not to progress fast.

*sagenod*

-X

It took me five years to complete my opus, and then I decided that I needed to chop it in half and then fix both halves.  :-S 

Naturally, I started a new project after having split the opus in half.

Weak attempt at a website:

www.geocities.com/thistleking/index.html

#35 2006-12-05 17:48:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

hehehehehe...

still tentatively pleased with my latest chapters. the half a year break from it seems to have done me some good.

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#36 2006-12-05 18:06:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

He. Mines staled again due to the finding-of-new-jobness thats going on.

It'll be published before I'm forty. Wether or not its finished by then is a different story, but it'll be published ;P

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#37 2006-12-12 06:43:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

I love it when things just click.

I was just about to jump into ye olde shower when an idea hit me which neatly plugs the tiny hole in the history of my universe and sets both book one (under construction) and book two (planning phase) into context.

Of course it came in the form as one of those cliched bible rip-off creation myths but it works for me. Hell the gods even create the universe in seven 'days'. I didn't plan it that way, that's just the way it turned out.

It makes everything, well, right.

*grapes and garnets*

-X

-Magpie

#38 2006-12-16 23:41:00

Malachy_Sunblade
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, when things click is really nice.  I'm hemmin' and hawin' about my murder mystery currently because I have to create some filler characters to help develop the main characters and it's kickin' my butt.  Mostly because that kind of development comes through dialogue, which is my major weakpoint.  I'm getting there, though.

#39 2006-12-18 22:58:00

Malachy_Sunblade
Pilgrim
Website

WOOO HOOO!!!!

I got home today and my neighbor, agent, the guy that forces me face first into that grindstone comes over.  He's got a friend who's a professional publisher who WANTS TO READ MY SCRIPT...  I'm closer to rejection than I thought!!!

#40 2006-12-19 05:19:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Malachy_Sunblade wrote:

WOOO HOOO!!!!

I got home today and my neighbor, agent, the guy that forces me face first into that grindstone comes over.  He's got a friend who's a professional publisher who WANTS TO READ MY SCRIPT...  I'm closer to rejection than I thought!!!

Eacellent! Good fer you mate!

Make sure you frame your first rejection letter, I'm going to!

-X

-Magpie

#41 2006-12-19 05:29:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Malachy_Sunblade wrote:

I'm closer to rejection than I thought!!!

YAY! I think. *g*

[ December 19, 2006: Message edited by: Miiruleh ]

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#42 2007-01-07 14:27:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Well, it's the new year and my holiday is over.

Now onto something I've been dreading: a reread of my draft. I don't want to do it. I've not planned to reread until finished. However, I can't remember a thing that was going on. I've even forgotten names. *sigh*

Someone wanna do it for me and tell me where I'm at?

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#43 2007-01-08 12:30:00

ThistleKing
Pilgrim
Website

Malachy_Sunblade wrote:

WOOO HOOO!!!!

Good luck with that.  No one, apparently, wants to read my stuff.  :-D

Weak attempt at a website:

www.geocities.com/thistleking/index.html

#44 2007-01-09 10:00:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Finally in the mood for writing again... took the scribble-book thingy along to work today, wrote a bit on the bus in the morning - on the way home there was no way I could write, I had to concentrate on pressing my scarf against my nose - apparently somebody had been sick on the bus. And now I'm so tired. Bah.

Spent the last two nights thinking about the story until I fell asleep, and I so want to reach this scene. It's still far away, but I'll struggle on through the rest of the story just so I'll get there. It's deliriously happy and at the same time so sad, and although emotional scenes usually scare me, I'm so happy for my characters that I can hardly write.
But, tempting as it is, I will not write it before I've written everything that comes before. This will be my reward for writing all the not-so-nice stuff.

- Tad

#45 2007-01-09 12:05:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Its nice to look forward to a part that's fun to write. :)

I read my first two chapters. I cringed, twitched and ground my teeth, but I made it without tossing my laptop across the room. If it had been a book that I had picked up it would have been tossed long before I got to chapter two. Heh.

On the good side, I can see the changes that need making and most of the how to change them.

Onwards I go, I suppose. I wanna be writing again, but I have to finish rereading first.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#46 2007-01-09 13:02:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

another day nearer to happiness for my poor Emma... still more than half a year to go, though.

Need to check the timeline tomorrow - I have no idea where I am. Which means: no writing on the bus. :(

And now off to bed, to think about that scene again. Gotta keep myself motivated.

- Tad

#47 2007-01-09 17:44:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

I read all day. Did nothing else. It's long. Huh. Hopefully I'll be able to finish reading it tommorow.

Wanna know the weird thing? I'm getting caught up in it. I'm enjoying it.

What could that possibly mean?

Am I still too close? Have my standards gone down? Am I being easy on myself? Am I missing stuff?

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#48 2007-01-09 21:20:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

or maybe you just got lost in the story and forgot about all those silly things like grammar and punctuation and style?

i'm afraid of doing a reread again. had to do it once already because it had been so long since i touched the damn thing that i was forgetting even what the story was about. back on track now, though. well...sort of. i'm radically changing the end of the story for this draft (draft two) and as a result i'm back to having no idea what'll happen from one moment to the next ;) basically, i know who dies and who doesn't. past that, i couldn't tell you.

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#49 2007-01-10 11:12:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Grammar! That's it! I was so wrapped up in melodrama I forgot grammar. I suppose I was getting into the story because it was all one long run-on sentence. Makes sense.

*nods*

*off to start reading*

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#50 2007-01-10 11:46:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I read mine every now and then to check how older stuff fits in with the newer developments (or with the timeline). That usually tempts me to start rewriting, but I'm very disciplined about that now. I just add another post-it and keep writing, just keep writing.
I'm not looking forward to getting my mile-long sentences in order, though. And then there are several awkward sentences where I'm not quite sure that they are allowed, grammar-wise. I often wonder about that sort of stuff while writing, but then I tell myself, Just keep writing.

Found the timeline thingy in the morning, so I could keep writing today. I love it.

- Tad

Board footer