Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-09-24 06:56:00

Em
Mantis

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

My all time fav word is "defenstrate." The mere fact that a word exists that means "throw someone out the window" cracks me up.

Too much Capt'n Crunch, I think. Or maybe it was the 70's. Too weird.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#52 2007-09-24 08:00:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

This room's been reopened!

Em wrote:

My all time fav word is "defenstrate." The mere fact that a word exists that means "throw someone out the window" cracks me up.

"Defenestrate" gets more hits on Google than "defenstrate". I think the former is the correct spelling. I wonder what its origin is. What a mythopoeic word, Em! :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#53 2007-09-24 08:10:00

Em
Mantis

Oops - typo.

Did some research and found (on dictionary.com) the history of the word. Very interesting.

1620, "the action of throwing out of a window," from L. fenestra "window." A word invented for one incident: the "Defenestration of Prague," May 21, 1618, when two Catholic deputies to the Bohemian national assembly and a secretary were tossed out the window (into a moat) of the castle of Hradshin by Protestant radicals. It marked the start of the Thirty Years War.

#54 2007-09-25 13:56:00

Em
Mantis

Interesting word: Glucophage

#55 2007-09-25 17:51:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim

Crosspost:

Todays interestingly interesting word is sobriquet.

Which is a familiar name for a person, typically a shortening of the person's actual name. A kind of nickname or moniker.

"The sobriquet of Johnny Appleseed attached to him, though his real name was Chapman, in consequence of his being ever engaged in gathering and planting appleseed and cultivating nurseries of apple trees." A. Banning Norton (1862)

^from wikipedia

Huzzah.

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#56 2007-09-25 19:41:00

cyan
Mantis

Defenestrate, hee!  Back in the mid-80's when I was living in Hong Kong (again), there were endless public-interest-type commercials on TV showing the dangers of tossing things out the windows of high-rise buildings (course most buildings in Hong Kong are high-rises) - like how someone at street level could be seriously hurt by a defenestrated A-battery from 20 floors up.

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#57 2008-01-17 20:13:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Yay! My own little patch of Smarch made it through the Giant Processor!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#58 2008-01-17 20:38:15

Genisis X
Pilgrim

*defenestrates firsfon*

:P

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#59 2013-01-24 09:53:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Erinaceous.

I came across this word today, which I hadn't heard of, and the definition is bizarre.

"Like a hedgehog".

Love it! ...I'm going to use it today. Somehow.

#60 2013-01-25 11:02:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Erinaceous? How wonderful! So I'm erinaceous as a porcupine definitely is just that!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#61 2013-01-25 11:03:41

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Hehehe!

*Bows to the Erinaceous One*

#62 2013-01-25 11:11:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I just had to add that to my signature. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#63 2013-01-25 12:44:46

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

LOVE it!!! :)

#64 2013-01-31 11:45:49

ylvs
Mantis

Genisis X wrote:

Crosspost:

Todays interestingly interesting word is sobriquet.

Which is a familiar name for a person, typically a shortening of the person's actual name. A kind of nickname or moniker.

"The sobriquet of Johnny Appleseed attached to him, though his real name was Chapman, in consequence of his being ever engaged in gathering and planting appleseed and cultivating nurseries of apple trees." �A. Banning Norton (1862)

And it is a loan word / foreign word (which one is right?) from French. It literally means nickname.

#65 2013-01-31 11:52:51

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Definitely 'loan word'. Like 'cafe' or 'origami'.

#66 2013-01-31 12:01:14

ylvs
Mantis

Ok. So Doppelganger, Weltgeist, Blitzkrieg are loan words from German, right?

Always used the wrong term then ... and nobody ever told me.

Learn something everday. Check.

#67 2013-01-31 12:24:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Definitely 'Doppelganger' and 'Blitzkrieg'. I'd add 'Tannenbaum', 'Kindergarten', 'Lederhosen', 'Bratwurst', 'Sauerkraut', 'Poltergeist', and 'Uber', which are so common that they're basically integrated into English. I'm not sure I'd put 'Weltgeist' in that category.

#68 2013-01-31 12:42:50

ylvs
Mantis

Oh really? I thought Weltgeist was commonly used as well. It should be. Wonderful word.

Funny related story: one my in-laws is very against anything American especially language wise. And although I agree that English words are used a bit excessively in German (and not loan words which are used because they bring something new to your own language but just the English word instaed of the German one) - there is just no reason to call a Treffpunkt meetingpoint, it is not even shorter. Not to mention all the silly misuses of English which make no sense at all like the ad slogan of a cosmetics chain Come in and find out which is meant to invite you in the shop and explore what they're offering...
I start rambling. Back to story:  Said in-law can't have a meeting without complaining about the infiltration of The German language and what not. Last time she had a new argument: And in English it's all differnt. They don't have any loan words at all. The only German word used in the US is kindergarten. And while she looked around waiting for applause I had the big pleasure to shoot out quite a few liek the afore mentioned. Never quieted her so effectively. Still have to giggle when I recall her stunned face ...

#69 2013-01-31 13:21:05

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Well, it's true that American/English is pervasive around the world. When I was in Europe in 2001, it was clear that the younger generation in every country liked to speak English at every possible opportunity. But so many Americans have German ancestry that there are hundreds if not thousands of German loanwords in English. Some are so common that it's usually forgotten that they were German at all.

Also, we do seriously misuse our German loanwords, as you're probably very much aware. We change letters ('Pretzel'), drop umlauts ('Doppelganger'), and invent new meanings ('Strudel', which, as time progresses, is nothing like German Strudel). Sadly, you won't get your loaned words back in good condition! ;)

#70 2013-01-31 13:35:15

ylvs
Mantis

*dusts some of the poor misused words*

There you look much better now.

Strudel actually is an Austrian dish.

Hah Magpie, said it before you!

#71 2013-01-31 15:44:03

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Well, it's true that American/English is pervasive around the world. When I was in Europe in 2001, it was clear that the younger generation in every country liked to speak English at every possible opportunity.

Bahahahahaaa! Clearly, you have never met the people I went to vocational school with! I only attended one English lesson there , and happened to be in the same room for another one, and it was dreadful. This one sentence still sticks in my mind.

"De anskilld wörkers are grobing de baam."

I'll be surprised if even ylvs figures it out.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#72 2013-01-31 15:58:36

ylvs
Mantis

The unskilled workers are so far so easy *unintelligable* the boom(?)

No don't get it.

#73 2013-01-31 16:04:41

Magpie
Mantis
Website

That's because he ran out of English words. It was supposed to mean "are digging up the trees" - "grabing the Bäume" in "Denglish", and in Austrian, "grobing de baam."

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#74 2013-01-31 16:10:52

ylvs
Mantis

Yea that was unsolvable. Funny anecdote.

#75 2013-01-31 16:13:47

Magpie
Mantis
Website

And the sad thing is, we're talking about a guy who was working in a tree nursery, second year of vocational school - and he didn't know the English word for "tree"!

- Tad

Board footer