Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2006-11-01 00:43:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

And neither is phortnight (which my dictionary has put under fortnight). ;)

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#27 2006-12-19 23:59:00

Hiragana
Pilgrim

Ooooh, a new room. Well, new to me.

*runs around screaming and dropping vowels and consonants in her wake*

#28 2006-12-20 00:18:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yes, where are our weekly new words?

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#29 2006-12-20 00:19:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh, I forgot, it says fortnightly, not weekly. But still a lot more than two weeks have gone by...

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#30 2007-01-11 08:06:00

xavie
Pilgrim
Website

*wanders into the room, only sligtly out of breath from climbing the stairs*
Thinks, How very nice!

*starts roaming along the bookshelves that are stuffed with oddities like future-telling compasses and mirror shards that show every place on Shadowmarch... Finally settles down in a heavily stuffed armchair (red velevet, of course), with the cat in her lap and starts paging in a Brahui-Shona-Dictionary.*

#31 2007-01-13 00:46:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Xavie! So nice of you to join us! :)

*pats the grimalkin*

OPB Sahi:

Oh, I forgot, it says fortnightly, not weekly. But still a lot more than two weeks have gone by...

Well, true. But I was really hoping this would be a true Smarch effort. I mean, I can think of words on my own... Maybe it's funner with others, though? :)

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#32 2007-01-13 01:04:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ah, but I don't know any obscure words. But if I can find some time somewhere I'll look up a nice one.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#33 2007-01-13 04:56:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

'Venefic' is, quite possibly, my favourite obscure word. ~tips hat to Forthright's~

Ted Kennedy in a speedo is just another sign of the coming apocalypse.
-wiked
"He who smelteth it delteth it O LORD."
-bandit

#34 2007-01-13 05:15:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Mine is (at least, right now) "magpiety". My name is making more and more sense. Who would guess I used to be dreadfully shy and quiet?

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#35 2007-01-13 11:10:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Imuri si dunces of wrote:

'Venefic' is, quite possibly, my favourite obscure word. ~tips hat to Forthright's~

Wow, that is obscure! :) Let's see if I can test it out...

That potion Pryrates gave Elias seemed venefic. At least, it appeared to have a veneficial effect.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#36 2007-01-13 11:36:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

Mine is (at least, right now) "magpiety". My name is making more and more sense. Who would guess I used to be dreadfully shy and quiet?

This site indicates it means "garrulousness", which I also had to look up. I've known a few people who suffered from excessive magpiety; I just never knew there was a word for it. This word may come in handy!

#37 2007-01-13 11:38:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I had to look it up as well. Though that's not so surprising, after all it's not my native language.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#38 2007-01-13 15:36:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Wow, that is obscure! :) Let's see if I can test it out...

That potion Pryrates gave Elias seemed venefic. At least, it appeared to have a veneficial effect.

Precisely, indeed, and quite so. *g* I'll even give you a cookie, if you like.

-wiked
-bandit

#39 2007-01-13 18:30:00

lian
Pilgrim
Website

hey hey stop petting me! I am not to be petted.  I am a cantankerous cat! Mrrrow.

In a way, though, I'm the nicest cat on earth since I just went on a hamster shopping spree. Meaning, I bought hamster accessories (a new running wheel, hamster sand, an amazingly nice and practical house)
Damn the internet -- it makes late-night-shopping sprees all too easy! And they're not even my hamsters...they're my sister's. Oh well, I hope the package will be a nice surprise for her (and the hamsters...) <3 I love them toothsome...err..pulchritudinous creatures!  <3

#40 2007-01-13 18:39:00

lian
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, hey, while searching for "magpiety" I stumbled across this one:
Magpiety by Czeslaw Milosz
The same and not quite the same, I walked through oak forests
Amazed that my Muse, Mnemosyne,
Has in no way diminished my amazement.
A magpie was screeching and I said: Magpiety?
What is magpiety? I shall never achieve
A magpie heart, a hairy nostril over the beak, a flight
That always renews just when coming down,
And so I shall never comprehend magpiety.
If however magpiety does not exist
My nature does not exist either.
Who would have guessed that, centuries later,
I would invent the question of universals?

-------------

Huh. Seems to be quite well-known. At least now I know what magpiety is supposed to mean...very interesting!

#41 2007-01-15 00:29:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Miiru is no longer confused wrote:

Precisely, indeed, and quite so. *g* I'll even give you a cookie, if you like.

Bah! Your cookies are probably venefic, too! Or, at least, laced with some venefic substance. I've read ''Flowers in the Attic''. No thanks! ;)

#42 2007-01-15 00:39:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

liamn wrote:

hey hey stop petting me! I am not to be petted.  I am a cantankerous cat! Mrrrow.

*pats anyway* 'Cause, you know, even cranky cats need to be stroked.

[b] <3 I love them toothsome...err..pulchritudinous creatures!  <3

Pulchritudinous... wow, I'm learing so many new words this fortnight. Let's see if I can't take my new vocabulary for a spin!

The pulchritudinous apple was venefic, having been laced with poison by a witch who suffered from magpiety.

Say that five times! ;)

#43 2007-01-15 05:09:00

lian
Pilgrim
Website

*laughs* okay, now that was relaly silly... or, ummm...asinine. Or...facetious.

(I'll have you know that I' cheating and looking up these words, honest soul that I am.)

#44 2007-01-15 07:04:00

Em
Mantis

The pulchritudinous apple was venefic, having been laced with poison by a mundunuga who suffered from magpiety.

BTW: A pizza company (I believe it was Pizza Hut), used pulchritudinous in one of its ad campaigns.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#45 2007-01-15 10:52:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

knowing a bit of Latin is really useful - I more or less understood several of those words.

- Tad

#46 2007-01-15 11:49:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

liamn wrote:

*laughs* okay, now that was relaly silly... or, ummm...asinine. Or...facetious.

(I'll have you know that I' cheating and looking up these words, honest soul that I am.)

Which words? surely not "silly"? ;)

#47 2007-01-15 11:52:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Em wrote:

The pulchritudinous apple was venefic, having been laced with poison by a mundunuga who suffered from magpiety.

BTW: A pizza company (I believe it was Pizza Hut), used pulchritudinous in one of its ad campaigns.

I think I remember that. Also: mundunuga?

#48 2007-01-15 12:06:00

Em
Mantis

Mis-spelt - should be mundunugu - Medicine Man. Preferably Sean Connery.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#49 2007-09-24 02:14:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*bump* Cause Genisis' post reminded me of this place.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#50 2007-09-24 05:17:00

Miiru
Pilgrim
Website

~browses a bit~

Oooo... venefic is my favourite word!

-wiked
-bandit

Board footer