Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.


You are not logged in.

#1 2006-10-29 01:15:00

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44999
Website

Firsfron's Phrontistery

In a long-neglected corner of Southmarch, more than a virgate away from Sahi's conservatory or the ancient House of Tomes, lies the Phrontistery. Once a grandiloquent minaret, the top floor has long since crumbled; only a few upstanding merlons remain.

Once past the clathrate portcullis, the room inside is spacious: nearly an arpent in size. The musty book scent present at the Library lingers here, too. One difference: there are no historians wandering the corridors here. The place is empty: full of old words, old things.

Empty but for a few hardy souls who haunt such places. Those who dabble in academicism, codicology, and philologastry. Desarcinate your weary legs, traveller; there is no need to act like an agonyclite!

[ October 31, 2006: Message edited by: Sahi ]


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#2 2006-10-29 01:15:00

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44999
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

*wonders how the owner could think that there are no historians wandering the halls*

*leaves a pineapple for the owner* Welcome to the neighbourhood!

Yalahii!


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#3 2006-10-29 03:53:00

lian
Pilgrim
From: Where Dormice Are Cherished
Registered: 2001-06-08
Posts: 3035
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

I'll be the stray cat, then, ambling in in search of free milk. Cats neither understand nor need them big words...

Meow!

Unless our queer historian chooses to teach this old cat new tricks, of ocurse. Like grandiloquence ;P

 

#4 2006-10-29 04:31:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Oh, I adore this new room! What lovely quarters in which to start thinking! I can't wait to get started! Where shall I think first?!

*Pets the pretty Liamn* Such a good grimalkin!

*Thinks how to show his gramercy to Sahi for opening the room and the lovely aggregate fruit philanthropy*

...

*Decides petting a porcupine is a bad idea*

My high school English instructor once told me if you say a word enough times, using it in enough sentences, you'll know it forever. I think it's true. I've learned some words that way.

My philologastry of the phortnight shall be fallaciloquence ("deceitful speech"). I'll endeavor to work this into several conversations as a way of mastering the word forever. It's not so far from grandiloquence ("excessive use of verbal ornamentation, often to the point of pretentiousness"); I think I can learn it!

Any requests? :)

Oh! But this is not just a place for highfalutin words... It is a place for themes and ideas, concepts and philosophy...


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#5 2006-10-29 06:37:00

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32892
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

If you say a word enough times, it'll just start to sound silly. I've done that even with simple words like "down" (in German, though). In the end, I wasn't even sure whether that word existed at all. Had to look it up in the dictionary!


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

Online

 

#6 2006-10-29 07:46:00

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44999
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

*LOL* I know that effect. ;)

But I really think there should be a link to another Phrontistery as well.

Yalahii.


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#7 2006-10-29 07:47:00

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44999
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

*wonders if there are other phrontisteries in other languages as well*

Yalahii.


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#8 2006-10-29 10:34:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
From: hole in the bottom of the sea
Registered: 2004-02-28
Posts: 18790
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

ooooh! fancy new room!

*corrupts*

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHA!!!!!!


"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

 

#9 2006-10-29 13:22:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Magpie wrote:

If you say a word enough times, it'll just start to sound silly. I've done that even with simple words like "down" (in German, though). In the end, I wasn't even sure whether that word existed at all. Had to look it up in the dictionary!

Hee! but I don't understand, Mags. German is your native tongue, right? How could you then convince yourself the word doesn't exist? I've convincd myself certain words don't exist, but only when stumbling through Spanish...


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#10 2006-10-29 13:29:00

Magpie
Mantis
From: miraculously thistle-free town
Registered: 2006-03-27
Posts: 32892
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

I dunno, I was just saying (or thinking, I don't remember exactly) it over and over, and after a while it began to sound like a totally random combination of letters.
And it wasn't as if I was really convinced it didn't exist. Just a bit... unsure. I suppose if I had got back to a normal state of mind, that feeling would have gone away.
Then again, a not normal state of mind is normal for me, so a normal state of mind... ah, nevermind.


Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

Online

 

#11 2006-10-29 15:04:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Sahi wrote:

*LOL* I know that effect. ;)

But I really think there should be a link to another Phrontistery as well.

Yalahii.

Of course! It is the inspiration for this place! But let us not forget these other useful sites, either!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#12 2006-10-29 15:20:00

Em
Mantis
From: Didjabringabeeralong, XXX
Registered: 2004-12-28
Posts: 43864

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

A thinking spot! How appropriate.

*finds a quiet window with a windowseat, stares out the window and thinks thoughful thoughts.


Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

 

#13 2006-10-29 17:53:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Em wrote:

A thinking spot! How appropriate.

*finds a quiet window with a windowseat, stares out the window and thinks thoughful thoughts.

Oh! Neat! A window-nook! I didn't know we even had one! How cozy! *Joins Martha in the window-seat*

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#14 2006-10-29 18:30:00

Genisis X
Pilgrim
From: permanent existential crisis
Registered: 2005-05-08
Posts: 15088

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Hmm. A tower, thing.

Filled only with the last remaining spectre's of dead men's minds transcribed on immortal parchment?

So its a big room with books in it?

Cool.

-X


I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

 

#15 2006-10-30 12:13:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Genisis X wrote:

Hmm. A tower, thing.

Filled only with the last remaining spectre's of dead men's minds transcribed on immortal parchment?

So its a big room with books in it?

Cool.

-X

We already have a library. Full of books, and hot cocoa, and... all that. But we have no Phrontistery!

*Practically dances over to the shiny steampunk telescope and gazes at the Medicean stars*


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#16 2006-10-30 19:15:00

Em
Mantis
From: Didjabringabeeralong, XXX
Registered: 2004-12-28
Posts: 43864

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Oh! Neat! A window-nook! I didn't know we even had one! How cozy! *Joins Martha in the window-seat*

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!

But of course, you beamish boy. My thinking spot is always a window seat over-looking a gray, misty moor.

And there's always room for a friend (or two).


Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

 

#17 2006-10-30 20:03:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

:)


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#18 2006-10-30 21:27:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
From: hole in the bottom of the sea
Registered: 2004-02-28
Posts: 18790
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Magpie wrote:

I dunno, I was just saying (or thinking, I don't remember exactly) it over and over, and after a while it began to sound like a totally random combination of letters.
And it wasn't as if I was really convinced it didn't exist. Just a bit... unsure. I suppose if I had got back to a normal state of mind, that feeling would have gone away.
Then again, a not normal state of mind is normal for me, so a normal state of mind... ah, nevermind.

hehehe it's okay magpie, i know exactly what you mean. that's happened many times to me as well. i ended up looking "the" up in the dictionary once.


"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

 

#19 2006-10-31 18:13:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
From: hole in the bottom of the sea
Registered: 2004-02-28
Posts: 18790
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

i thought this was appropriate :)


"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

 

#20 2006-10-31 18:21:00

Em
Mantis
From: Didjabringabeeralong, XXX
Registered: 2004-12-28
Posts: 43864

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

*Wurps Ceywren with a mudball*


Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

 

#21 2006-10-31 23:24:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Ceywren wrote:

i thought this was appropriate :)

Ironically, Ceywren, the first message I wrote for this place has an example of Heterography. :/


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#22 2006-10-31 23:48:00

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44999
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Need it corrected? Just point it out to me.

Yalahii.


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#23 2006-10-31 23:56:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Sahi: It should be "philologastry", not "philologastery", of course.


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

#24 2006-11-01 00:30:00

Sahi
Mantis
From: Assendelft (the Netherlands)
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 44999
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Of course! How could I have missed it. *edits*

Yalahii.


"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

 

#25 2006-11-01 00:32:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
From: Ronchester
Registered: 2001-06-04
Posts: 23418
Website

Re: Firsfron's Phrontistery

Thanks. Of course, it wasn't your mistake...


Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

 

Board footer

Powered by PunBB