Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-04 12:02:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

briony

*sneaks in*
*post*
*runs off*

briony

[ June 04, 2006: Message edited by: Kamiko ]

[ June 04, 2006: Message edited by: Kamiko ]

Dream on.

#2 2006-06-05 01:32:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: briony

Nice!

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#3 2006-06-05 12:39:00

Gregor S.
Pilgrim

No way!
Briony is a lot tougher looking than that.
Keep trying!

One morning, when i woke from troubled dreams....

#4 2006-06-05 16:30:00

lian
Pilgrim
Website

I think she's just having a moment of doubt. And even tough people have that, right? I like her expression! It does convey her anxiousness well. (or at least that is my impression of her.) Good work, Kamiko. I'd like to see more of it :)

#5 2006-06-06 09:58:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

Well, this is not a very large or timeconsuming pic, but I think this might be a Briony
who was just looking at that painting from her great-great aunti again. Not very tough I have to admit, she's a charcater I always want to show with a sword or armor (or a wyvern!)
But in the meantime I keep trying on a Quinnitan.

Dream on.

#6 2006-06-06 10:03:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*waits patiently for more pictures*

I'd love to see you try Lady Yassammez sometime!

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#7 2006-06-07 18:54:00

Fuzzy Goblin
Pilgrim

Very nice! Keep on doing them good pics :)

More than anything, you must remember to forget.
Want some writing tips? Go tohttp://www.glendalarke.blogspot.com/.  They aren't my own, but very good.

#8 2006-06-16 00:53:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

Briony  by me!

Because this topic is Art/Briony, so ha. Plus I'm not sure how many of you smarcher saw this.

Also, I may do a drawing of her and Barrick, for something newer.

For a dollar you could find a girl of every possible design,
But you couldn't find a decent man, or a word spoken kind.

~Rum Brave, Murder By Death

Microphobe's Art Space || The Downwright's Arena

#9 2006-06-16 01:28:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I would love to see a carefully developed picture of that sketch. It looks like a great idea for a costume. I think I'd make a nice Briony. (Of course I promise pictures if ever such a costume gets done.)

Even if the picture never gets done, I think it's a nice idea for my next costume. (As soon as I finish the simple one for practice.)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#10 2006-06-16 03:30:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, thats a tough Briony ^^

I won't do a good Briony, not blue-eyed enough :P
I don't think I look like any of the shadowmarch- charas

Dream on.

#11 2006-06-16 03:34:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

It's silly cause I only realised it on seeing Mike's sketch. I'm blond and blue-eyed, mostly wear trousers (jeans, although that's not as shocking these days)...

I only realised, cause I saw her with a rapier in hand in the sketch. And then I thought how it would be a cool costume. Only to realise, that I might actually look like her a bit. :)

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#12 2006-06-16 03:41:00

Magpie
Mantis
Website

My eyes aren't blue either.And my hair has turned rather a lot darker over the last few years...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#13 2006-06-16 03:42:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well my hair has gone darker, but it's still very much blond.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#14 2006-06-16 04:37:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

I'm glad youse guys like my sketch! It was made last year, and I think I'll do a new one soon, because I've learned A Thing or Two since. Also, that particular costume was made up off the top of my head (I know Briony wears men's clothes, but there are so many to choose from from that time period), and I'll se what I come up with this time.

#15 2006-06-17 04:24:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

They're living in some sort of early 19th century in the beginning of industrial revolution, if I got that half right out of the book. But might be earlier as well. But I've never done any research about clothes for my pictures. I just draw them, and they end up to look like something (good or bad is another topic).

Dream on.

#16 2006-06-17 07:38:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

If that were the case, there would be a lot more guns and a lot less swords. I think it's more 16th-17th century, before guns and cannons were refined enough to make people rethink the ways they fought wars.

#17 2006-06-17 11:40:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

I remember the Autarch's court has guns, but it also has bees, so maybe these are bee-shooting guns, and thus not what we'd quite expect.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

#18 2006-06-18 00:19:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Nope, I remember Tad saying that they do have guns and that it's a bit more renaisance. (Now I don't know when the renaisance was, but for those of you who do...)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#19 2006-06-18 02:49:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

Rennaissance is since Gutenberg, I think. That was 14something. I think this is blackpowder as well, but the Chinese used to have blackpowder earlier. So maybe this is something like 16th, 17th century.
I can't remember the amuont of steam, if there were any. And there ain't any railways, so beginning of 19th century is too early, I agree.

Dream on.

#20 2006-06-18 03:11:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Wikipedia says the renaissance started in the 15th century.

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#21 2006-06-18 10:55:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

If it was 19th century, no one would bother with armor and swords because guns, by this point, are sophisticated enough to make all that obsolete.

Also, steam power, factories, horrible living conditions in cities and pollution problems are missing...

#22 2006-06-19 03:14:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

Blackpowder is really old (just looked that up in wiki).
Beginning of 19th Century was Napoleon. But he was already using guns in his fights. But he's always shown carrying some sort of blade. *tries to remember earlier fighting* Well there was the french revolution in the end of the 18th Century. I think they had cannons then in their storm on the Bastille. Maybe 17th Century is most fitting.

Dream on.

#23 2006-06-19 04:39:00

The Microphone
Pilgrim
Website

Technically, gunpowder, cannons and the like hace been around since the 1400s, but technology wasn't refined enough to make them the mainstay of war until the mid 1600s. I know in the Thirty Years' War (beginning 1618), cannons and muskets were a big part of the army, but were innaccurate and slow to fire, so armored pikemen (big blocks of them), calvary and other tactics were still in major use.

Someone mentioned the 19th century, or an industrial revolution, and I was pointing out what the major trends of that time and their absence from the book (rifts between upper and lower classes, factories which unforgivingly pollute the world, a trend away from nobility and towards mercantilism, etc.).

That's your history lesson for today!

Be careful, the history-volcano may erupt again...

#24 2009-01-19 15:52:49

Kiema
Pilgrim

My first attempt at rendering Briony.  I think she looks too young and the lighting isn't correct.  I think I may go for something a little more portrait style than vague woodland pose next time around.

Briony

#25 2009-01-19 23:43:55

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I love it! But I mainly think the weapon is too short. (The blade should be at least a meter long, unless you were actually going for dagger instead of rapier.)

Scrollbearer

Board footer