Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2005-11-07 12:49:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Re: The Rhubarb Pie

strangeshe wrote:

@Jen: you need non-dairy recipes, right? Are there other things you avoid as well? I might have some things that could work for you. (I've become quite handy at adapting recipes since I've gone sugar-free & slow carb.)

I don't have any eggs, wheat (gluten, really), soy or dairy. Wow, does that EVER make it hard to bake.

I just discovered a recipe for scones that is pretty much rice and potato flour, baking soda , water and suger. Very yummy, actually. :) 

I have a brownie recipe that works and I'm gonna try a mix of gluten-free flours in cookies. Such an adventure. :)

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#27 2005-11-07 20:04:00

deegec
Pilgrim

Em, Tired of Being Wicked wrote:

Oh --- cookie decorating parties. I make dozens and dozens of sugar cookies, icing, provide decorations --- one year I made a dozen or so gingerbread houses --- invite all my daughters' friends over and let 'em at em.

Good times.

[ November 07, 2005: Message edited by: Em, Tired of Being Wicked ]

I did that last year for the first time with my three little ones.  That was party enough, believe me!  Lots of fun!

Here's one of our favorite Thanksgiving dinner recipes:

Sweet Potato Pudding

6 medium sweet potatoes
1/2 c sugar
2 eggs
1t vanilla
1/3 c milk
1/2 c butter

1/3 c brown sugar, firmly packed
1/3 finely chopped pecans
2T flour
2T butter

Cook sweet potatoes in boiling water 45 mins to an hour.  Let cool, peel and mash.

Combine sweet potatoes with next 5 ingreds; beat at med. speed of an electric mixer until smooth.  Spoon into lightly buttered baking dish.

Combine last four ingreds; sprinkle over pudding.  Bake at 350F for 30 minutes.

My mom has made this dish every Thanksgiving for the last 35+ years.  So, so, so good.  I'll probably dream about it tonight!

[ November 07, 2005: Message edited by: deegec ]

#28 2005-11-07 20:48:00

Em
Mantis

Here's the Sugar Cookie recipe we've been making forever:

2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
3 eggs
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
6 tablespoons milk
6 cups of flour
1-1/3 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt

Cream together sugar and butter until really fluffy and pale. Beat in eggs, vanilla and milk. Shift together 5 cups of flour, baking powder and salt and add to batter, beating just to combine. Add as much of remaining cup of flour as necessary to make stiff dough.

I like to make the dough a little on the soft side and refrigerate until hard enough to roll out. Makes tenderer (is that a word?) cookies. Roll out to desired thickness, cut out with cookie cutters.

Also, I use Airbake(tm) cookie sheets for this, so the cookies set before they start to brown.

Oh - bake at 350F for 10-12 minutes, until pale tan.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#29 2005-11-10 22:04:00

FlutePicc
Pilgrim

So today I made the sweet potato and squash soup and the pumpkin bread.

Both are wonderful.  I made one loaf of the bread and 12 muffins because I only had one loaf pan. And I completely forgot the raisins and pecans somehow.  But it's still excellent and I need to make more to finish up the can of pumpkin so maybe I'll get them in that batch!

And I only had a few tastes of the soup because I was just cooking for the coming days since I took my mom out for a birthday dinner tonight.  But it tastes really nummy.  I'm looking forward to lunch tomorrow! :)

#30 2005-11-14 04:34:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yum, I just had a wonderful salad for lunch.

For 2-3 persons:
200 grams of pasta (penne or whatever)
200 grams of chicken
1 sweet pepper (or paprika)
spring onions
1 courgette (well that's the dutch name anyway)
1 lump of mozarella (ca. 100 grams)
250 grams of cherry tomatoes
3 spoons of oil
1 or 2 spoons of lemon juice (will find out exact amount later)
1 spoon of pesto (red or green)

Boil the pasta.
Slice the chicken into cubes and bake them. When they are done add the pepper and the courgette (both chopped up). Bake for another 5 minutes or so.
Chop all the other vegetables and the cheese as well.
Mix a dressing from the oil, juice and pesto.
Mix everything together and eat it with some bread. You can eat it warm and eat whatever is left the next day cold.

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#31 2005-11-14 05:26:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

@Flupi: I'm glad you enjoyed those. & Sorry I missed your comment when you posted -- I've been hither & yon for past few days, catching up now :)

@Sahi: that salad sounds delish!

#32 2005-11-14 05:37:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

I've made this on occasional holidays past. Have been craving it lately, so am working on a sugar-free, lower carb version, but not sure how I'll do ;) In any case, here's the original.

Bacardi Rum Cake

Cake:
1 package (18.5 oz) yellow cake mix
1 package (3.75 oz) vanilla instant pudding and pie filling mix
4 eggs
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup Bacardi Dark Rum (80 proof)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
Rum Glaze (following)
Chocolate Glaze Topping (following)
2 Tablespoons chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 325F. Grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan. Mix cake mix, pudding, eggs, water, rum and oil until smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Bake 1 hour. Cool in pan 25 minutes. Invert onto serving plate. Prick top. Spoon and brush Rum Glaze evenly over cake allowing the cake to absorb the glaze. When cake is cooled, drizzle with Chocolate Glaze Topping and sprinkle with nuts.

Rum Glaze:

1/4 pound (1 stick) butter
1/4 cup water
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup Bacardi Dark Rum

Melt butter in saucepan. Stir in water and sugar. Boil 5 minutes. Remover from heat; stir in rum.

Chocolate Glaze Topping:

4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
1 teaspoon butter or shortening

Melt chocolate and butter over very low heat in heavy saucepan.

~*~

#33 2005-11-14 05:43:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Wow, that sounds yummie! Now if only I knew someone to give the leftover rum... Someone who lives near me, that is. *knows plenty of smarchers who would be happy to receive it*

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#34 2005-11-14 06:38:00

Em
Mantis

Leftover rum? What a concept. *grins*

#35 2005-11-14 11:42:00

Nevayl
Pilgrim

since i don't have time to head home for the holidays, i have been invited to a friend's parent's house for thanksgiving dinner. since it's not my friend but her parents, i feel the need to be appropriate and bring something. a bottle of wine? some sort of thank you gift? a dessert? all i know is these people go all out and pretty much cover all the bases, so if i bring something i think it needs to be a little bit unexpected. what would you guys recommend?

#36 2005-11-14 11:50:00

Em
Mantis

I always like giving (and getting) flowers. Something they can display while you are there and enjoy after Thanksgiving.

#37 2005-11-14 11:57:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

*nod* Flowers are nice. And wine. Stationery is nice, too :)

For lack of time to elaborate, I'm going to put a couple of quick quotes and links here re hostess gifts and other stuff like that. Nice refresher (for me!) at holiday time.

from GiftingResources.com

Is wine the best hostess gift for a dinner party?
It might be the best gift if you know that your hosts love a particular bottle of wine. Just remember to present it in such a way that your hosts don't feel any pressure to immediately serve it. Consider saying: "Here's a little something for you to enjoy down the road." This way, they'll know that it's a special gift just for them-and that you don't expect them to open it at the table. Of course the obvious exception to this would be if your friends have actually asked you to bring a bottle of wine. In that case, just ask what kind of wine will suit their menu. But unless specifically requested, why not give a hostess gift that's different from the same old cabernet?

and

During the Christmas season do you have any special hostess gift ideas?
Bringing a holiday-themed gift is a natural extension of the season's goodwill and cheer. From a tin of gourmet cookies to a spray of greenery for a table or a festive CD, the holidays only broaden the possibilities when it comes to finding the perfect gift. For additional hostess gift ideas, take a look under our winter holiday gift ideas.

And this site has a lot of good tips on etiquette & stuff like that (on a Dental site, imagine that!):

Holiday Manners

Gifts-It's often considered proper to bring a small gift of some kind to the host of a holiday party -- nothing fancy: homemade cookies, a bottle of wine or a holiday candle will do. And nice stationery -- with stamps included -- is always a thoughtful gift. When someone unexpectedly gives you a present (and you haven't gotten him anything), don't panic. Simply say thank you. Later, you can send a thank-you card (or even a return gift, but only if you're so moved -- it's not a competition). And don't make a big production of opening gifts in front of the crowd if not everyone has brought one.

Thanks for asking the question, nevy! It helps me to check these things on occasion -- new ideas, reminders and more. :)

#38 2005-11-14 12:02:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

'course, those are sort of geared for Christmas, but I think they are easily adapted for Thanksgiving, too.

Hostess gifts are one area I really need improvement in, personally. Most of my holiday invites are family and we tend to contribute food to the buffet. I've not had many dinner party invites, now that I think of it. :)

#39 2005-11-14 16:42:00

Nevayl
Pilgrim

i am thinking flowers is the best idea, along with a follow up thank you note. thanks for the help!

#40 2005-11-18 02:37:00

ylvs
Mantis

Here is my fav Mexican apple tart.
It's not exactly a holiday receipe but one for the cold season:

Filling:

700g Apples
juice of one lemon
40g butter
100g chopped almonds
50g sugar

Dough:

225g butter
150g sugar
5 eggs
200g soft oatflakes
75g flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
the rubbed off skin of one lemon (does this make sense?)
a dash of salt
grease for the spring form pan
ordinary oatflakes to spread in the pan

For the filling peel and chop the apples and steam them with the lemon juice. After they cooled down mix with almonds, butter and sugar.

Blend the dough ingredients into a viscid dough.

Grease the spring form pan and spread it with oatflakes.

Fill 2/3 of the dough into the pan
put the filling in the pan
and put the rest of the dough in little heaps on top with a teaspoon.

Put it in the oven for about 60 min at 190C.

(If it looks ready it is!)

Let it cool down and enjoy!

[ November 18, 2005: Message edited by: ylvs ]

#41 2005-11-18 02:38:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*snort* In active topics I read 'applejuice of one lemon'. Silly active topic. :)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#42 2005-11-18 05:30:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Ack that Tart Recipe sounds really good...but I think I need the conversion to non-metric....and I'm not sure how to do them myself...8P

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#43 2005-11-18 05:41:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I bet this site can help: http://www.onlineconversion.com/

Yalahii!

Scrollbearer

#44 2005-11-18 09:34:00

cyan
Mantis

O-o-o-o-h, that sounds really good Ylvs, thanks for posting it.  I may try this for Christmas.

ylvs wrote:

the rubbed off skin of one lemon (does this make sense?)

We call that 'lemon zest'

What do you mean by 'steam the apples with the lemon juice'?  Do you mean just cook them together in a saucepan?

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#45 2005-11-18 09:36:00

Em
Mantis

I agree, Blue One. May just have to give this one a try.

What is "viscid dough"? What consistency?

#46 2005-11-18 09:53:00

cyan
Mantis

Hmmm... converting this recipe may not be as easy as it looks - weight to volume conversion - how much does a cup of sugar weigh?

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer

#47 2005-11-18 10:00:00

Em
Mantis

Dunno, Cyan. I was going to consult Joy of Cooking when I got home. That book has everything in it.

#48 2005-11-18 10:04:00

cyan
Mantis

Auntie Em wrote:

Dunno, Cyan. I was going to consult Joy of Cooking when I got home. That book has everything in it.

That's what I'd do too, if I still had my copy - lost that in the divorce too, damn me for not supervising the book-packing!

Scrollbearer

#49 2005-11-18 10:08:00

Em
Mantis

Took your Joy of Cooking? I'd say, haul him back into Court! Re-open the case! Is there no justice in this world?

#50 2005-11-18 16:25:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Hokay, ask and you shall receive ;)

Here are conversions from volume measures to ounces. I'm afraid I don't have the metric weight conversions to hand, but Sahi's link probably does that. (one of these days I'll get a complete chart put together so we'll be all international-like ;)

SWEETENERS

Granulated White Sugar

1 Tablespoon = 1/2 oz
1/4 cup = 1 3/4 oz
1/3 cup = 2 1/4 oz
1/2 cup = 3 1/2 oz
2/3 cup = 4 1/2 oz
3/4 cup = 5 1/4 oz
1 cup = 7 oz

Brown Sugar, dark or light

1 Tablespoon = 1/2 oz
1/4 cup = 2 oz
1/3 cup = 2 1/2 oz
1/2 cup = 4 oz
2/3 cup = 5 1/2 oz
3/4 cup = 6 oz
1 cup = 8 oz

Confectioners' (Powdered) Sugar

1 Tablespoon = 1/4 oz
1/4 cup = 1 oz
1/3 cup = 1 1/4 oz
1/2 cup = 2 oz
2/3 cup = 2 1/2 oz
3/4 cup = 3 oz
1 cup = 4 oz

Honey, Maple Syrup, and Corn Syrup, dark or light

1 Tablespoon = 3/4 fluid oz
1/4 cup = 3 fl oz
1/3 cup = 4 fl oz
1/2 cup = 6 fl oz
2/3 cup = 8 fl oz
3/4 cup = 9 fl oz
1 cup = 12 fl oz

Molasses

1/4 cup = 2 3/4 fluid oz
1/3 cup = 3 3/4 fl oz
1/2 cup = 5 1/2 fl oz
2/3 cup = 7 1/2 fl oz
3/4 cup = 8 1/4 fl oz
1 cup = 11 fl oz

Source: Salter Electronic Scale Conversion Chart

I'll post some other weight equivalents in a moment...

Board footer