Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-11-05 11:21:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

The Rhubarb Pie

Welcome to The Rhubarb Pie, where there's always something yummy cooking and lots of talk of food and cheer. Help yourself to a nice cuppa, pull up a chair and make yourself at home!

Cheers!

Old-Fashioned Rhubarb Pie
Makes one 9-inch pie; serves 8
Serve this pie warm and top each slice with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream.

For Crust:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
6 tablespoons ice water

For Filling:
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
Pinch of salt
3 1/2 cups 1/4-inch-thick slices trimmed rhubarb (from about 4 to 5 stalks)
1 1/2 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces

FOR CRUST: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Whisk flour and salt in large mixing bowl to blend. Add butter and rub in with fingertips or pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse meal. Drizzle ice water over mixture a little at a time; mix in with fork or fingertips until dough just comes together. Gather into ball; divide into 2 equal pieces. Wrap each piece in plastic and refrigerate 15 minutes.
Roll out one dough piece on lightly floured work surface to 12-inch round, about 1/4-inch thick. Transfer dough to 9-inch-diameter glass or ceramic pie dish. Trim any overhang with a knife.

FOR FILLING: Whisk flour, sugar and salt in large bowl to blend. Stir in rhubarb to coat well. Spoon rhubarb mixture into prepared crust. Dot mixture with butter. Roll out second dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round. Using scalloped pastry cutter, cut into 24 1/2-inch wide strips. Arrange dough strips across top of filling forming lattice and weaving strips if desired. Trim dough strips even with overhang on bottom crust. Tuck ends of dough strips and overhang under; press to seal. Crimp edges decoratively.

Bake at 425 degrees F for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 350 degrees F. Bake until crust is golden, rhubarb is tender and juice bubbles, about 40 minutes. Cool on wire rack 15 minutes before serving.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Helpful Links

UK - US Food Equivalents

Conversion Charts

Conversion & Ingredient Information

and one of the most useful of all:

Kitchen Charts (a page of links to many useful charts)

[ December 09, 2006: Message edited by: strangeshe ]

#2 2005-11-05 11:36:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Re: The Rhubarb Pie

Okay, here's a non-food "recipe" that I like for a holiday centerpiece. (Which also goes to show we're not limited here to food stuff ;)

Cranberry Candle Float
(from an Ocean Spray brand cranberry ad I found a few years back)

Float Ocean Spray Fresh Cranberries around floating candles in a water-filled glass dish for a pretty holiday decoration.

Fill a punch bowl or other wide-mouthed low bowl with water. Add approximately two 12oz bags of cranberries and float candles amidst the berries, then light.

~*~

#3 2005-11-05 11:57:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

And here's a lovely squash soup that is good anytime in the cold-weather months, particularly good at Thanksgiving. I think I found this one in Gourmet magazine many years ago; it's become a tradition in my family.

Squash and Sweet-Potato Soup with Chipotle Sauce

3 lb butternut squash (1 large or 2 medium/small), halved lengthwise and seeds discarded
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 lb sweet potatoes (2 large)
salt to taste
1 large onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
white part of 1 or 2 leeks, chopped
2 to 4 teaspoons chopped peeled fresh gingerroot
8 to 10 cups light vegetable stock or broth
white pepper to taste
2 to 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice, or to taste (may substitute lemon, but lime is best)
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 stick cinnamon (or subst. 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon)
Chipotle Sauce (recipe follows)

Optional garnish: sour cream & chopped chives or a thin slice of lime

1. Preheat oven to 400F

2. Brush cut sides of squash with 1/2 teaspoon oil and arrange, cut sides down, in a shallow baking pan. Prick sweet potatoes all over with a fork, and roast with squash until very tender, about 50 minutes for squash and about 1.25 hours for sweet potatoes.

3. Cool vegetables and scoop flesh from squash into a bowl. Peel sweet potatoes and add to squash.

4. Cook onion & garlic in remaining 2 1/2 teaspoons oil with salt to taste in a 6-quart heavy pot over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in squash and sweet potato, leek, ginger, brown sugar, cinnamon, and 8 cups stock and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 30 minutes.

5. Remove cinnamon stick if using. Puree soup in batches in a blender (or use a blender stick and puree in the pot; use caution when blending hot liquids). Transfer to a clean pot. Bring to a simmer, and if too thick, add more stock. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Finish with lime juice.

6. Serve soup drizzled with some chipotle sauce, or a dollop of sour cream with a small swirl of chipotle sauce and a sprinkle of chives or a thin twist of lime.

Note: This recipe is very well suited to making ahead of time. Cool completely, cover and refrigerate up to 2 days ahead. Reheat before serving. I like to use my crockpot (slow cooker) for this purpose. Works great on the Thanksgiving buffet.

Makes about 12 cups.

Chipotle Sauce

2 dried ancho chiles (1 oz)
1 dried chipotle chile
2 cups water
1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
2 garlic cloves
1 tablespoon cumin seeds, toasted

1. Discard stems from chiles and remove seeds. Rinse chiles under cold running water. Bring chiles with water to a simmer in a non-reactive 1 1/2-quart saucepan. Add onion, garlic, and a pinch of salt, then simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally (add more water if necessary to cover chiles), until softened, about 30 minutes.

2. While chiles are cooking, finely grind cumin seeds with a mortar and pestle or in an electric coffee/spice grinder.

3. Transfer chiles and vegetables with a slotted spoon to a blender and puree with cumin and 1 cup of chile water (save remaining chile water) until smooth. (Sauce should be thick, but not stiff; add more chile water, 1 tablespoon at a time, if necessary). Season with salt.

Note: Sauce may be made 3 days ahead, cooled completely, and chilled, covered. Reheat before serving.

Makes about 1 cup.

~*~

[ November 05, 2005: Message edited by: strangeshe ]

#4 2005-11-05 12:24:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

I've been making bourbon balls or variations thereon for holiday gifts since I was quite young -- 12 or so, as I recall. Back then I wasn't allowed to sample the spirits while cooking. Now that rule no longer applies! (In fact, since I've been sugar-free for over 2 years, the spirits are about all I *can* indulge in when making these ;)

Here are a couple of recipes I like.

Bourbon (or Rum) Balls
These are sometimes dipped in chocolate rather than roled in powdered sugar. Makes about 3 dozen.

1 cup vanilla wafers
1 cup pecans
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cocoa
2 ounces bourbon (or rum)
2 ounces white corn syrup (or I'm sure any sweet & sticky syrup will work)

Place the wafers in a food processor and grind until fine. Place in a bowl. Add the pecans into the food processor and grind until fine. Add pecans and remaining ingredients to the bowl and mix well. Form into 1" balls (about the size of walnuts, smaller than a golf ball), roll in additional powdered sugar, and refrigerate until firm.

These improve with a little bit of aging. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks, but are best after 2 to 3 days.

Honey-Ginger Bourbon Balls

1 cup gingersnap cookie crumbs
1 1/4 cups powdered sugar, divided
1 cup finely chopped pecans or walnuts
1 square (1 ounce) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 tablespoons honey
1/4 cup bourbon

Combine crumbs, 1 cup of the sugar, and nuts in a large bowl. Combine chocolate and honey in small bowl over hot water; stir until chocolate is melted. Blend in bourbon. Stir bourbon mixture into crumb mixture until well blended. Shape into 1-inch balls. Sprinkle remaining powdered sugar over balls. Refrigerate until firm.

These improve with a little bit of aging. Store in airtight containers in the refrigerator. They will keep for several weeks, but are best after 2 to 3 days.

~*~

#5 2005-11-05 12:50:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

This is another recipe I've been making for the holidays since I was a little girl. I used to make these as Christmas gifts -- baked in a 1# coffee can to form domed columnar loaves, tops drizzled with glaze frosting and decorative sprinkles. Wrapped in cellophane and tied with a bow, and there you have it!

The recipe is just as delicious when baked in regular small loaf pans.

Pumpkin Bread

3 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 cup light vegetable oil
1 can pumpkin puree (about 2 cups; not pie mix)
2/3 cup water
3 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon allspice
1 1/2 cups raisins
1 1/2 cups chopped pecans

Mix sugar and oil, add eggs, beat well. Mix in pumpkin and water. Sift together dry ingredients and add to pumpkin mixture, stirring until smooth. Stire in raisins and nuts. Pour into 4 greased and floured 1-pound coffee cans (about 1/2 full). Bake at 350F for about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Bread will pull away from sides of cans and look golden brown when done. (Smells divine while baking, too!) Cool in cans for 10 minutes, then carefully remove from pans. Cool completely and decorate.

~*~

#6 2005-11-05 13:07:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Two more favorite cookie recipes. The first is a super-easy no-bake cookie that I send to my husband's office every year during the holidays. They're always gone in a hurry. The second is a traditional Norwegian cookie recipe handed down in my husband's family (Norwegians, all, through-and-through) :)

Orange Balls

4 cups vanilla wafer crumbs
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
1/4 cup melted butter
1 (6 oz.) can frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
powdered sugar

In large bowl, combine crumbs, sugar, nuts and melted butter. Stir in orange juice. Mix well and form into 1-inch balls. Roll in powdered sugar. Chill.

Makes 4 dozen.

Norwegian Christmas Cookies
These are easy to form and bake. They taste a little like shortbread, but are less crumbly -- very sturdy, and make great holiday gifts. Hold up in shipping, too. Makes about 12 dozen.

2 large eggs
1 cup sugar
4 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
3 sticks (3/4 pound) butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar cubes, coarsely crushed

1. Beat sugar and 1 of the eggs together until thick and pale. Sift in flour and baking powder and combine until smooth. Add butter and beat on low speed until dough forms. Cover dough in plastic and chill until firm. (About an hour.)

2. Preheat oven to 350F.

3. Lightly beat remaining egg. Roll small spoonfuls of dough into balls and place on cookie sheets about 1 inch apart. Make thumbprint indentions in centers. Brush lightly with egg and sprinkle on crushed sugar in centers. Bake in middle of oven until golden brown, about 12 to 18 minutes. Cool completely.

~*~

#7 2005-11-05 13:22:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Okay, a last favorite then I'll stop for now.

My Favorite Eggnog
This recipe is easily halved. Makes about 8 quarts. I found this originally in my old copy of the Fannie Farmer Cookbook. It does use raw eggs, but I've never had a problem with that. See following notes if you're concerned about using raw eggs.

1 dozen eggs, separated
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-1/4 or more cups (450 g) sugar
2 or more cups (1/2 L) bourbon or blended whiskey
1/2 cup (1 dL) rum
1/2 cup (1 dL) brandy (optional)
1 quart (1 L) milk
2 Tablespoons vanilla extract
3 pints (1-1/2 L) heavy cream
Nutmeg

In a -very large- mixing bowl, beat together the egg yolks and salt; slowly add 1-1/2 cups of the sugar. Continue beating until thick and pale. Stir in the bourbon, rum, brandy, milk, and vanilla until well mixed.

In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy; slowly add the remaining 3/4 cup sugar, continuing to beat until stiff and all the sugar has been incorporated.

In a third, chilled bowl, whip the cream until stiff.

Now fold the egg whites into the yolk mixture, and then fold in the whipped cream. Taste and add more bourbon and/or sugar if necessary. Pour into a punch bowl and sprinkle the top with nutmeg.

Raw-Egg Edicts

Some hosts are reluctant to serve raw eggs. Although the food-safety folks at the USDA recommend against using "recipes in which the raw-egg ingredients are not cooked," especially when serving pregnant women, young children, or anyone with a weakened immune system, there is no way around using eggs if you're going to prepare a genuine eggnog.

The Food Safety and Inspection Service offers these guidelines:

Select only clean, intact, and well-refrigerated Grade A or Grade AA eggs. Eggs left at room temperature promote bacterial growth more quickly, so be sure to store eggs in your refrigerator as soon as possible, and keep them refrigerated at 45F or lower. Don't store eggs in the refrigerator door, since it's often the warmest part of the refrigerator.

Use eggs within three to five weeks. Never store raw eggs out of the shell in the refrigerator. Also avoid having eggs outside the refrigerator for more than two hours.

As with poultry, be sure to wash countertops and utensils that come into contact with raw eggs immediately, as well as your hands.

If you follow these general guidelines, you should have a safe and salmonella-free holiday. But if you are really worried, there are many varieties of pasteurized imitation eggnog products on the market during the holiday season.

#8 2005-11-05 14:47:00

AJ
Pilgrim

strangeshe wrote:

And here's a lovely squash soup that is good anytime in the cold-weather months, particularly good at Thanksgiving. I think I found this one in Gourmet magazine many years ago; it's become a tradition in my family.

Squash and Sweet-Potato Soup with Chipotle Sauce

~*~

Ha! You've done it again!
I have a butternut squash and sweet potatoes, but more importantly I was thinking today that I should look for a soup recipe for sweet potatoes!
How great is it that you posted this?!!!

I know what I'm making tomorrow!  :)

#9 2005-11-05 16:39:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Happy to be a pawn of Serendipity! :D

#10 2005-11-05 16:53:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

Cool recipes, SS. :)

I'm thinking i might be able to adapt s couple of them for myself. :)

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#11 2005-11-05 17:52:00

Em
Mantis

I've lots of recipes I make yearly ... will dig 'em out tomorrow and contribute.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#12 2005-11-05 19:19:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Looking forward to it :)

And I think I'll put in a request now for Calesta's Witches Fingers Cookies. *g* I know it's after Halloween already, but I just gotta see that recipe! They sound wonderfully fun!

#13 2005-11-05 19:25:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Ooo, I almost forgot! This is especially for AJ since she's about to try the soup. I forgot to mention in the recipe to remove the cinnamon stick before pureeing everything. Would be a bit much, I think.

Optionally, you can also just use ground cinnamon. I'd say about 1/2 teaspoon as substitute for the stick. Maybe as much as 1 teaspoon if you like that flavor. The soup is a hearty one with all those yummy flavors and can take it :)

I'll go edit the recipe itself now, too, so as not to confuse anyone down the road.

#14 2005-11-06 04:34:00

Em
Mantis

Found my recipes ... will post what have always been hits with my family.

Before I do, I have to ask:

Turkey - light or dark meat
Stuffing - bread, oyster, cornbread ...
Cranberries - whole or jellied

And what's the onedish your holiday table isn't complete without.

In our house, it is this disgusting stuff we call "green stuff." Mix a medium tub of Cool Whip, thawed, a can of crushed pineapple, drained and a box of pistachio pudding mix. Let it set for a couple of hours. The stuff makes my teeth hurt, but everyone seems to like it!

#15 2005-11-06 05:09:00

Em
Mantis

Bread Stuffing
(Best made the night before so flavors have chance to meld. I usually double this recipe and bake alongside the bird in a huge roating pan)

Mix Together
12 cups of bread cubes
2 teas. poultry seasoning
1-1/2 teas. salt
1/2 teas. pepper
3/4 teas. thyme
1 teas. rubbed sage
3/4 teas. basil
3/4 teas. rosemary

Sautee in 4 Tablespoons of butter
1 cup chopped onion
1 1/2 cups chopped celery
2 coups slice mushrooms

Heat together
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chicken broth

1 can sliced water chestnuts

Pour onion/celery mixture over breadcubes and mix well. Stir in water chestnuts. Pour broth mixture over stuffing (I do this a bit at a time, don't want the stuffing to get too wet. You can add more as it bakes) and mix well.

Cover tightly with foil and bake in a 325-350 oven for about an hour. I take the foil off the last ten minutes to get the top crusty.

[ November 06, 2005: Message edited by: Em, Tired of Being Wicked ]

#16 2005-11-06 07:06:00

Em
Mantis

Hungarian Nutsticks
(Don't really know if there's anything Hungarian 'bout these, but that's just what my girlfriend's Nana used to call 'em.)

1 cup of butter
1-1/2 cup of sugar
1 egg
2-1/4 cups of flour
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/3 tsp. salt
2-1/4 cups chopped pecans
4 egg whites
1-1/2 tsp. cinnamon

Cream butter and 1/2 cup sugar. Add 1 egg. Blend in flour, vanilla and salt. Spread mistue out in a greased jelly roll pan. Back for 5 minutes at 350F.

Meanwhile, in a saucepan, combine remaining 1 cup sugar, pecans, egg whites and cinnamon. Spread precan mixture over cookie dough. Bake for another 15 minutes.

Cut in 3" by 1-1/2 rectangles. Makes 30 cookies.

#17 2005-11-06 11:06:00

Em
Mantis

This is my absolutely favorite cookie. Please note, if you brown these cookies at all, it will affect their taste. I use Airbake(tm) cookie sheets and watch carefully!

Mexican Wedding Cakes (thanks Nana!)

Oven 350F

1/2 pound butter
4 heaping teaspoons powdered sugar
2 cups flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla

Combine all ingredients - will be a stiff dough. Roll into walnut-size balls. Bake for 15 minues, or until just set. Roll in powdered sugar when hot, then again after they cool - this really makes them good. The first coating of powdered sugar melts into an icing, the second stays powdery.

Enjoy!

#18 2005-11-06 19:01:00

Em
Mantis

Here's my daughters' favorite:

Maple Yule Logs
3/4 cup butter (you could use margarine, but why?)
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 teaspoons maple flavoring
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups all-purpose flour

Beat butter until soft, add brown sugar, beating until fluffy. Add egg, maple flavorin and salt. Beat well. Add flour and beta until well mixed. Cover and chill about 1 or till easy to handle

Divide dough into eight parts. On a lightly floured surface roll each eighth into a rope 1/2 inch in diameter. Cut into logs about 2 inches long. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in a 375F oven for 8 to 10 minutes, or until done. Remove and cool.

For frosting: In small bowl, beat 1/4 cup of butter till light and fluffy. Gradually add about 1-1/2 cups powdered sugar, beating well. Beat in 3 tablespoons milk and 1 teaspoon maple flavoring. Beat in up to 1-3/4 cups powdered sugar to make frosting spreadable. Frost tops and sides of cookies, swirling frosting to resemble bark.

#19 2005-11-06 21:08:00

FlutePicc
Pilgrim

So many yummy recipes!

I really want to try making soup and I love squash soup so that sounds like something I should deffinetly have a go at!

Mmmmmmm

#20 2005-11-07 07:30:00

AJ
Pilgrim

strangeshe wrote:

Ooo, I almost forgot! This is especially for AJ since she's about to try the soup. I forgot to mention in the recipe to remove the cinnamon stick before pureeing everything. Would be a bit much, I think.

I just assumed I had to, SS :)
It was lovely.
The children and I really enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!!

#21 2005-11-07 09:35:00

cyan
Mantis

Awesome!  You guys are making me hungry... *drooling*

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#22 2005-11-07 11:48:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

I have some holiday recipes that I'll be digging out soon. Most of my recipes I'll have to be altering for myself this year. It's kinda painful, really. Christmas has always been a foody type celebration. We have so many traditions. But now I have to start over, find new things I can eat. I'm gonna try making some holiday cookies soon. Gingerbread and sugar cookies. Hopefully they'll turn out better than my attempt at punkin pie.

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#23 2005-11-07 11:57:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

You're quite welcome, AJ. Glad you all enjoyed it!

& it's veggie, so Flupi can have fun too! *waves to Flupes*

@Jen: you need non-dairy recipes, right? Are there other things you avoid as well? I might have some things that could work for you. (I've become quite handy at adapting recipes since I've gone sugar-free & slow carb.)

#24 2005-11-07 12:00:00

strangeshe
Hierarch

Em, Tired of Being Wicked wrote:

Mexican Wedding Cakes (thanks Nana!)

Aren't those just divine? One of my favorites, too. :)

I'll have to come back to your question on traditional menus a bit later when I have more time to spend.  & that Green Stuff sounds pretty good, actually :)

#25 2005-11-07 12:48:00

Em
Mantis

Jen - I hear you. So many of my holiday memories revolve around food. If you'd pass along (again) your food preferences, I'll see what I've got tucked away in my recipe box - recipes I've tried and are good, but will meet your dietary needs.

Oh --- cookie decorating parties. I make dozens and dozens of sugar cookies, icing, provide decorations --- one year I made a dozen or so gingerbread houses --- invite all my daughters' friends over and let 'em at em.

Good times.

[ November 07, 2005: Message edited by: Em, Tired of Being Wicked ]

Board footer