Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2005-11-22 17:14:00

Em
Mantis

Re: Oxygen Bar and Needlework Shop

Deegec -

Look here:

Harry Potter Scarves

Basically, they're really l-o-n-g scarves, in the colors of the house to which the student belongs.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#52 2005-11-22 17:20:00

deegec
Pilgrim

Wow, cool!  I love really long scarves; and the color of MY house (on the outside) is pinkish/brown and white - har har.

edited for emPHAsis

[ November 22, 2005: Message edited by: deegec ]

#53 2005-11-22 17:25:00

Em
Mantis

deegec wrote:

Wow, cool!  I love really long scarves

As long as you don't do an Isadora Duncan!

#54 2005-11-22 17:28:00

deegec
Pilgrim

Jeez, it's like you're speaking Greek!

#55 2005-11-22 17:34:00

Em
Mantis

Isadora Duncan was an Ameican dancer who had the habit of wearing long scarves.
One night (in Nice, France), she was riding in a convertible. As she took her seat in the car neither she nor the driver noticed that one of the loose ends fell outside over the side of the car and was caught in the rear wheel of the machine.

The automobile was going at full speed, when the scarf of strong silk suddenly began winding around the wheel and with terrific force dragged Miss Duncan, around whom it was securely wrapped, bodily over the side of the car, precipitating her with violence against the cobblestone street. She was dragged for several yards before the chauffeur halted, attracted by her cries in the street.

She died. *sigh*

[ November 22, 2005: Message edited by: Auntie Em ]

#56 2005-11-22 17:59:00

deegec
Pilgrim

I don't own a convertible, so that probably wouldn't happen.  But, I'm such a klutz that I'd trip over it and doubtless hang myself in the process leaving people decades from now to say, "if you wear a long scarf, don't do a Diedre Collins."

Not to make light of anyone's death, of course.  :(

edited for poor grammar, possibly making it worse

[ November 22, 2005: Message edited by: deegec ]

#57 2005-11-22 22:12:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

If you've seen the new Harry Potter, you'll note the scarves are no longer even lengths of the two colors of each house. The new ones are rows of the dark color followed by a couple of rows of the light color and then back to the dark color. I don't have an exact count 'cause I really wasn't paying attention to the scarves when I saw the film. But I'm going to see it again and maybe this time I'll remember to pay more attention.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#58 2005-11-23 18:14:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Got more sock yarn today! I can take it with me to knit on when I go to visit the folks tomorrow. I'm so thrilled it's here 'cause I really wanted to knit while I was visiting so I could show my mom. She knows I knit nothing but scarves - mostly - so now she can see I've progressed to other things.

[ November 23, 2005: Message edited by: Seitherin ]

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

#59 2005-11-25 14:18:00

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

There's a girl in my knitting group who did one of the Harry Potter scarves, and there was a big discussion this last week about the old v. new scarves - led to talk about producing a Harry Potter Knitting book. :)

As for me, I seem to be finishing up my scarf-knitting obsession, and moving on to very basic knitting patterns. That's kind of the pattern I used to learn to crochet, too, so I guess I should stick with what works.

I'm still working on the afghan, which is actually getting close to the end. My current favorite project is a crochet "string poncho," in marroon, which is going to be all.for.me.

#60 2005-11-25 14:31:00

AJ
Pilgrim

I'm sorely tempted to print off that scarf pattern, thanks for posting the link :) 

I absolutely love the colours of your sock wool, Seitherin - especially that blue.

I'm resisting the lure to visit my one and only local knitting shop because they have a 20 to 50% sale at the moment and I have too many knitting projects lined up without adding more wool to the stash.
I'm starting to get a bit panicky that I won't get these two sweaters finished for christmas.
I've just lost two knitting days because of the boys being home due to teacher strikes.
I must start knitting for christmas in March in future, instead of waiting until the end of September.

#61 2005-11-26 09:30:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I'm on a dial-up connection at my folks house. Oh boy, am I spoiled having a cable connection at home.

Anyway, Thanksgiving was loverly and I went back to see the Harry Potter yesterday. I think I actually like the new scarves better, but I still have no idea how many rows make up the pattern.

I've also finished one new sock for Alex. I don't have any pictures yet because I forgot to bring the dock for the camera so I can't offload pictures. Oh, well. Sometime today I'm supposed to go out to see all the baby goats my best friend has been delivering all week long. She and her hubby raise goats. When I get home, there will probably be pictures of them as well.

As for yarn, one can never have enough - as I'm discovering. That's why RubberMaid made those large stackable platic boxes. Really. What else would you put in them?

;D

#62 2005-11-26 18:00:00

deegec
Pilgrim

I bought my girls' matching Christmas outfits today.  I decided not to go with red and black like I normally would - I'm a little tired of it - and instead went with rose and burgundy.  The outfits have velour blazers, rose blouses and print skirts.  With their black hose and shoes, they look like three little ladies - so cute!  I also got them fancy black skirts to go with the pastel sweaters that I made them.  We have a lot of outlet stores out here, so with the after Thanksgiving sales, I got everything really cheap!  I even got myself a new pair of black silk pants.  I'm exhausted, and want to stay as far away from the malls as possible, but happy.

#63 2005-11-26 18:09:00

Em
Mantis

Oh, I remember when I used to buy my daughters holiday outfits! Now, I'm lucky if they haven't dyed their hair red and green!

#64 2005-11-27 16:05:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I've not had the joy of buying holiday outfits since I had a boy and there was no point, as far as I could see, in buying a suit for him that would either be totally destroyed before anyone could see how cute he was in it or would be totally outgrown before anyone could see how cute he was in it. Besides, he started picking out his own clothes at about age 4 and froo-froo holiday stuff was not on his agenda. If memory serves, Thundercats and Mutant Ninja Turtles were the things occupying his thoughts then.

#65 2005-11-27 16:13:00

Em
Mantis

Brings back memories.

When the girls' paternal grandmother was alive, she used to delight in buying the girls gorgeous Christmas outfits.

One year, she bought this rose-colored water-marked tafetta dress for my then three-year-old daughter. The child refused to put it on! To this day, I do not know why - but to see this little curly-haired moppet refusing to get dressed ....

She was going through a stage. If you dressed her in anything she did not want to wear, you could bet she would be "naked buns" faster than you could say "what a hoot"!

[ November 27, 2005: Message edited by: Emaconda ]

#66 2005-11-27 17:24:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Pictures of the kids.

And the new sock. The last link also has a wonderful picture of Emperor Heru guarding my sock.

My mum used to buy all these "nice" clothes for Alex when he was a little hellion. She would get mad at me for not letting him wear them, and if I did let him wear them, she'd get mad at me 'cause he was a kid and got them dirty. I couldn't win.

;D

[ November 27, 2005: Message edited by: Seitherin ]

#67 2005-11-29 18:05:00

deegec
Pilgrim

I'm working on a sweater for myself now, have only crocheted about 12 rows.  It's a lovely light coffee color, very soft and warm.  I hope I finish it in time to wear it at least once this "winter".  I keep having to stop every couple of rows b/c of a strange tingling in my right fingertips.  Carpal tunnel?

BTW: lovely sock, Seitherin.

[ November 29, 2005: Message edited by: deegec ]

#68 2005-11-29 18:18:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Sounds like you suffer from the same thing I do except sometimes my middle two fingers on the right hand go numb when I knit too much. It's bound to be some sort of repetitive stress thing.

I've finished the socks but I haven't taken pictures yet. I'll do that in a few minutes. Maybe I can get Alex to model them like he did the last pair. He's in the kitchen fixing us burgers for dinner. Sometimes he's a good kid. ;D

#69 2005-11-29 18:46:00

Em
Mantis

If it is carpal tunnel, do not ignore it. Will only get worse. There are things that can be done now to prevent future damage or painful corrective surgery.

I would strongly suggest if you even suspect you have carpal tunnel, seek help.

#70 2005-11-29 19:03:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

The socks, as promised. I couldn't get Alex to model them since he was cooking and now he's eating. Oh, well. Maybe I'll talk him into it later.

#71 2005-11-30 14:24:00

AJ
Pilgrim

I love the blue socks and Heru looks a cutie.

I don't get tingly fingers, but I do get swollen tendons at the base of my fingers - looks very strange.

And Seitherin, after looking at all your lovely socks I went along to the wool shop (hey, they still have the sale!) and I've bought some violently shaded wool in orange red and pink (sounds gruesome but I think it actually looks quite nice and it's definetly warm colours!) and I got a free sock pattern. Also some self patterning wool which gives a sort of argyle pattern. i've wanted to play with that sort of wool for a while now and see what I end up with.
Can't wait to start.

#72 2005-11-30 14:38:00

cyan
Mantis

Seitherin wrote:

As for yarn, one can never have enough - as I'm discovering. That's why RubberMaid made those large stackable platic boxes. Really. What else would you put in them?

;D

Now that's a knitter after my own heart!

"Never underestimate the power and accuracy of a chicken-chucking trebuchet." ~ Tad

Scrollbearer
Proud Member of the Log Brigade

#73 2005-11-30 14:42:00

deegec
Pilgrim

AJ wrote:

violently shaded wool in orange red and pink (sounds gruesome but I think it actually looks quite nice and it's definetly warm colours!)

Not gruesome at all - sunset colors!

#74 2005-11-30 17:52:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

AJ, the colors sound wonderful on the yarn you bought. I've been bidding on some orange yarn 'cause Alex likes orange, but I keep being outbid. Drats!

I think I'm going to take one night off from knitting to see if I can't finish the book I've been reading since forever. I can't even remember when I started it. It being the Riddle Master series by McKillip. I only have about 40 or so pages left and it would be nice to finish it.

#75 2005-12-02 14:01:00

deegec
Pilgrim

I just realized I have one more sweater to make for my oldest daughter.  I wanted her to wear it tomorrow to a Christmas party we are attending.  For some reason, I thought I was almost through, but I found the pink yarn, all that I originally bought, and no sweater.  I must have made it in my dreams.

Anyone think I can make a sweater in one night?  What an exciting Friday night I have planned.

[edited to add this:]

Forecast is warm weather tomorrow, so forget the sweater.  Good!  I'll rest my tingling fingers tonight.

[ December 02, 2005: Message edited by: DeegeC ]

Board footer