Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-10-03 07:16:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oxygen Bar and Needlework Shop

Down at the far end of the Neighborhood there exists a small country road on the
outskirts of town, off by itself. The road is paved, narrow and lined with beautiful
Sequoia. Alongside this country avenue runs a stream with crystal clear water bubbling along with a waterfall at it's head, meandering it's way down to the ocean. Up ahead a short distance is a small one lane covered bridge crossing over the stream. On the other side of the bridge stands a sprawling four-story log cabin style building. There is a gorgeously landscaped yard full of every imaginable color of flower with fountains spraying iridescent rainbows in the lights surrounding the emmense yard. Across this lovely yard struts a beautiful peacock. Off to the right is a genuine old English style hedge maze. A sign hangs at the entrance reading: "Any who dare may enter here! The wonders you may find within are well worth
the effort."

The building wherein resides The Oxygen Bar & Needlework Shop is quite an interesting one. Balconies overhang the gardens; others look out over the maze where guests may shout out hints to those brave enough to meet the challenge of the maze. On the first floor French doors open up into the many galleries contained therein. About the yards squirrels, chipmunks, deer, rabbit and many other lively creatures wander about, totally in peace. The windows are ablaze with light and the sound of laughter drifts out on the crisp air. Throughout the many gardens are scattered gazeboes and private nooks where tea, coffee or something livelier may be partaken of along with stimulating conversations. All about the yards are lit with iridescent twinkling bulbs, putting you in mind of Christmas.

In the exact center of the building front is an ornate flagstone walk leading up to a huge gazebo covered in weeping willow in full bloom. Roses in every shade wind up and about it's lattice walls. Inside you find brilliant pansies in beautiful pots ranging about the perimeter. Before you stand two huge ornate stained glass doors, welcoming you inside. The scene on one door is of a beautiful tree; redwood perhaps, branches outspreading like arms inviting you in. On the other door there is a heavenly scene of stars and planets so wonderfully drawn you feel you are looking into a night sky.

Upon entering through these marvelous doors you will find the foyer, crystal chandelier hanging above your head, warm oak paneling upon the walls and a double-sided fireplace off to your left with glimpses of the Oxygen Bar on the other side. To the right is the hostess station with Illiana smiling at you and welcoming you in.

Welcome to The Oxygen Bar & Needlework Shop! All are invited to spend an afternoon of relaxation with us.

At the bar itself you find a large selection of flavors of our oxygen for your enjoyment. For the more mature we have the Bar Special, "The Oxygenator", a combination of pure oxygen and laughing gas. Whoa now, a little bit will do you! We also welcome any who would like to perform, share their poetry or humor, and exhibit their crafts and art in their favorite form to join in with us here.

Be sure to visit our many Galleries. We specialize in art forms beyond drawing and painting. Some of our favorite rooms are the Cross-Stitch Cavalcade and The Needlework Niche. Also one very intriguing room is Glassworks Galore. You will find pattern rooms, instruction rooms for each craft and hints, advice and simple chat rooms as well. Feel free to browse to your heart's content and ask any questions. Our proprietors, Sheryndil & Seitherin, are always available for your assistance.

Hope you enjoy and come back often.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#2 2005-10-03 17:05:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Re: Oxygen Bar and Needlework Shop

Thanks, Sahi.

I haven't done anything crafty and I haven't looked for any yarn shops. On Saturday, my best friend and I went to Wimberly and wandered around the shops. Then we went to San Marcos to see Serenity. On Sunday, we slept in and then went to breakfast in Austin. And then we just bummed around reading and watching TV.

I'm going out in a bit to grab a bite and then I'll probably park myself in front of the TV and finish reading The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

The training sessions are almost like a vacation.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#3 2005-10-05 08:51:00

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

I went to a knitting group a few weeks ago, because one of my circles of friends used to do crochet parties all the time, then stopped because of weird drama. (In the general group, not about crochet.) I missed the sense of camaraderie that comes from a bunch of woman sitting around doing needlework. I enjoyed the new group, too, even though I had never met any of them before.

So I'm going back tonight, and this time the meeting's at a little yarn shop that sounds lovely. It'll give me some time to sit and work on my afghan. It's coming along nicely, but my challenge now is that it's unlike every other project I've ever done, which have always been easy to toss into a purse or bag and work on wherever. The afghan is not so convenient - have to have a shopping bag to carry it around, so I've had to wait until I have time at home to work on it.

#4 2005-10-05 16:48:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I've stumbled across a stitch 'n bitch group that meets at a place that is on my way home from work. They meet every Tuesday and I hope to be able to catch the next meeting. It would be nice to sit around and gab and share patterns and crafting tips and whatnot.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

#5 2005-10-16 12:35:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

KITTY UPDATE!

Yep, a fifth feline has been added to the household. I'm rapidly approaching the point where I'll have to buy a second house just so the people will have someplace to live. ;D

As is explained in my blog entry, she doesn't really have a name yet since she can't be bothered to tell me what it is, but for the sake of calling her something that isn't completely impolite, she is referred to as Izzy.

#6 2005-10-16 14:26:00

Jaime
Pilgrim

Kitty!  *risks antisocial claws to pet the kitty*

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.

-- Heinlein

#7 2005-10-18 16:55:00

AJ
Pilgrim

*LOL* Seitherin.
I think i'd be in the same boat as you if I hadn't put my foot down.
Your cats are so gorgeous though. Rainbow is a slim version of our Lady who I'm sure is a pot bellied pig in a cat suit!
Hopefully your new baby's name will become clear soon :)

#8 2005-10-18 18:13:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

AJ wrote:

Rainbow is a slim version of our Lady who I'm sure is a pot bellied pig in a cat suit!

LOL. That description fits Goblin to a tee. She's still a little porker even with the 'diet' cat food. The others are still young enough to think running around the house for no reason is great fun so putting on weight is not a problem for them.

As for Izzy, she goes by that other name more often than not since that is what she is. ;D She is getting better about not growling and snapping at people when we try to pet her. If she's anything like Goblin was when I first got her, it will be about a year before she decides she's at home.

#9 2005-10-18 20:50:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Wow! How long has it been since I was here last? Even I'm unsure.

Hello all you peeps!

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#10 2005-10-19 15:14:00

AJ
Pilgrim

*hugs Sher*

I can't remember, but it's great to see you here again :)

Seitherin wrote:

LOL. That description fits Goblin to a tee. She's still a little porker even with the 'diet' cat food. The others are still young enough to think running around the house for no reason is great fun so putting on weight is not a problem for them.

Lady's on the diet food to. Cat meal times are a bit complicated in this house.
Poor Lady is getting a mite twitchy though, as Belle (the kitty) takes great delight in sneaking up on her and making her jump. The other day I was knitting and the ball of wool fell off the sofa to the floor. Lady (who was asleep beside me) literally went from lying down to being almost a foot in the air - was the funniest thing I'd seen for a long time.

#11 2005-10-19 17:55:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

AJ, I've probably got the mellowest cats in the known world. There isn't much that can make any of them jump. But they all have this wonderful 'You expect me to react?' look they give me when I try to do something sneaky to them.

Hi, Sher!

#12 2005-10-19 19:10:00

Em
Mantis

I've got the largest cat - Ludwig. He does not realize he's too big to fit on anyone's lap without bits hanging off! His sister (Neko) is dainty little lady 'bout half his size, but pushes him 'round like crazy.

The look on his face, if a cat could look embarassed, Ludwig does.

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#13 2005-10-21 12:34:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Say roomie; you're on your way to having a bustling cattery there, aren't you?

They're all so darling, I miss having a kitty. In time.

*hugs to all*
Thanks for the hugs AJ. It's great to see you all as well.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#14 2005-10-21 12:49:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Here's a link to the beginning of my Bettas pages being setup. Right now I sell them on this website called Aquabid, very fun, I don't have many listed right now. I need to take more pictures of the newest batch of babies and get them up.

Wild Magic Bettas

Aquabid

#15 2005-10-21 17:57:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Yep, the place is turning into a regular cat house. ;D

Betas, huh? I've never understood the lure of fish. ;D

#16 2005-10-22 11:16:00

AJ
Pilgrim

Seitherin *grin* I love cats with character - your's sound as if they're sweeties.

Sher - cool! you'll have to keep us posted on it.
My children talked me into rescuing a Betta from the pet store. He'd jumped onto the pot next door and got quite shredded. We brought him home, popped him into our 10-15 gallon and three days later he'd built a bubble nest and the black neons were scared!
His fins are all better now and he really is a feisty little fella. He's a neon blue and his fins are shot through with red.
I'm quite attached to him now :)

#17 2005-10-22 11:17:00

AJ
Pilgrim

Seitherin wrote:

Betas, huh? I've never understood the lure of fish. ;D

*L* My cats get it!  ;D

#18 2005-10-29 20:00:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I had a 'me' day today. I was going to be lazy and stitch and maybe do a movie, but I went driving all around the area taking pictures. I went to the beach, to the Brazos River, to a little park in town, all over the place. It was such a glorious day I couldn't stay inside.

Pictures are up in my blog (see my sig) if anyone is interested in my corner of the world.

#19 2005-10-30 14:42:00

AJ
Pilgrim

Sounds a lovely day, Seitherin.

I'm off to enjoy the photos :)

#20 2005-10-30 14:51:00

AJ
Pilgrim

I love the tree pictures and the beach pictures. I love pictures of trees with character, if you see what I mean. (I think you must as the ones in your pictures have it)
If you find out why they've put the huge statue in that field, please share. Do you think there will be a few more to join him in the future ? It does seem odd.

And Sietherin, Happy Birthday for tomorrow :)

[ October 30, 2005: Message edited by: AJ ]

#21 2005-10-30 16:42:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Thanks, AJ, for the birthday wishes. I have the day off tomorrow - one of the perks of the new job called a personal holiday - so I'm going to spend the day doing the things I need a weekday to do - like pick up the new license tag for my car.

I'd almost forgotten how much I like taking pictures of things like the tree bark and the sand and the sky. And yes, I do love trees. I could quite happily spend hours finding and photographing the 'character' of them.

#22 2005-10-31 13:09:00

AJ
Pilgrim

My husband loves nature photography - it's his hobby I suppose you could say.
He took some lovely pictures of various trees on one of his trips to California. His friends house who he visited while he was there backed onto a forest that had partially burned and some of those tree pictures were almost surreal.

#23 2005-10-31 15:57:00

Calesta
Pilgrim

*adds birthday wishes & a great big chocolate cake for Seith*

#24 2005-10-31 17:01:00

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Thanks, Calesta.

I'm trying my hand at knitting a sock but I've run into a snag in the instructions. I got them from a friend so I've just sent her an email asking for a clarification. The instructions have to do with making the heel and they are not like the instructions I have in my sock book so I couldn't use it to help me.

Oh, well. Since she's in Germany and I'm in Texas, it'll be tomorrow before I get an answer. I was hoping to take the socks to work with me so I could finish them but I guess I'll have to take the scarf instead.

#25 2005-10-31 17:10:00

Em
Mantis

I've tried knitting socks, did real well until had to turn the heel.

My mother used to knit gorgeous argyles, so I asked her ... of course, she grabbed the project from me and finished it! Moms, whatcha gonna do?

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

Board footer