Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#576 2011-03-13 09:53:18

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Re: Latest acquisitions dos

The Wise Man's Fear was waiting for me when I got  home Friday for Spring break. I've started The Name of the Wind re-read 'cause I haven't a clue what happened in the first book. Too long between volumes for me to remember.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#577 2011-03-13 11:34:35

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Edit: Ooops, wrong thread!

Last edited by Magpie (2011-03-13 11:35:17)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#578 2011-03-14 08:10:33

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Arriving today from Amazon:

Il trono del drago (that is the Dragonbone Chair in Italian):)

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#579 2011-03-17 00:12:23

Genisis X
Pilgrim

The Complete Stories: v. 1 -Isaac Asimov
A Feast for Crows, George R.R.R.R.R.R.R. Martin
Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein
The Wise Man's Fear, Patrick Rothfuss

And Digital Painting Techniques, so I can learn to use my graphics tablet more effectively ;)

Wheeee!

(should be here first week of next month!)

-X

I was going to do more things, but I'm staring uselessly at my computer again...
-Magpie

#580 2011-03-17 11:07:02

Rook
Mantis
Website

I've been getting into airplane models lately.  I'm halfway through finishing a model of a C-47 Skytrain (a modified DC-3).  Lately, this has attracted classic WWII airplane buffs and veterans throughout the company.  One long-timer stopped by my desk the other day and regaled me with stories of B-17 and B-24 production lines, and the glory days when Boeing and Ford could put out 15 airplanes a day.

Sooooo... naturally I went right to the store and picked up a model for a Consolidated B-24 Liberator.

Incidentally, my cubicle at work is currently festooned with 18 small scale model airplanes from WWII.  It's like a tiny museum in here.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#581 2011-04-19 17:34:23

Rook
Mantis
Website

I got a nice white Fuji Roubaix 2.0 road bike last Friday.  It's nice and light and speedy.  I rode it to work today.  Wouldn't you know it ... flat tire.  First day.  This reminds me of the first time I rode to work a long time ago on my Diamondback.  Also flat tire.

They really need to sweep the roads around here.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#582 2014-05-06 12:10:54

ylvs
Mantis

Postman brought mega shiny new iPad mini. No more crashs due to outdated software.

#583 2014-05-06 13:42:18

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Apparently we have 12lbs of Haribo gummy bears on the way. And I thought *I* couldn't be trusted on Amazon!

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#584 2014-12-14 08:06:25

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

No one can be trusted on Amazon :) How's it going with the gummy bears?

I just made an order for these books:
The Rosie Project: Don Tillman 1
Simsion, Graeme

The Childhood of Jesus
Coetzee, J M

The Narrow Road to the Deep North
Flanagan, Richard

Number9dream
Mitchell, David

The Martian
Weir, Andy

Intrusion
MacLeod, Ken

The Vagrants
Li, Yiyun

The Luminaries
Eleanor Catton

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#585 2016-02-05 13:13:46

ylvs
Mantis

*dusts thread*

I just bought a wonderful [url=http://boingboing.net/2016/02/05/gauzy-literary-scarves-poe-h.html]literary scarf with the map of Middle Earth on it. Can't show you because I got the last one and the pic is down now.

Magpie, check out the Marauder's Map

Beautiful!

#586 2016-02-05 14:00:55

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Don't tell me such things when I've just recently been thinking about how I don't have any Harry Potter things, apart from the books and a pencil.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#587 2016-02-05 15:25:43

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

I bought a fancy hiking tripod recently, which should be good for doing photos, as well as for mounting my satellite modem, in interesting faraway places...  (The link reviews the carbon fiber version.  There's also an aluminum version that costs about 35-40% less, though it weighs in at 2.2 pounds instead of 1.8.)  The general consensus of reviewers seemed to be "it's almost as good as the top-of-the-line $600+ models, for less than half the price."

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#588 2016-02-05 21:04:14

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

*dusts thread*

I just bought a wonderful literary scarf with the map of Middle Earth on it. Can't show you because I got the last one and the pic is down now.

Oooh, neat!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#589 2016-02-05 21:09:19

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Auros wrote:

I bought a fancy hiking tripod recently, which should be good for doing photos, as well as for mounting my satellite modem, in interesting faraway places...  (The link reviews the carbon fiber version.  There's also an aluminum version that costs about 35-40% less, though it weighs in at 2.2 pounds instead of 1.8.)  The general consensus of reviewers seemed to be "it's almost as good as the top-of-the-line $600+ models, for less than half the price."

Sweet!

Wait... how/why do you mount a modem to it? I have never heard of this, and I'm curious. I have satellite hotspot on my phone, but don't know why it would be beneficial for it to be on a tripod.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#590 2016-02-06 00:47:46

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Wait... how/why do you mount a modem to it? I have never heard of this, and I'm curious. I have satellite hotspot on my phone, but don't know why it would be beneficial for it to be on a tripod.

This is not built into a phone.  Has a screw mount on the back that you can attach a quick-release plate to, similar to a camera.  Though I need to figure out if I can get an M2 screw to work in there, to replace the 1/4" that the plate came with...  (It also has an arm on the back that you can fold down and just set it on the ground or on a table, but as with most antenna type things, it works better if you can raise it up off the ground.  And the whole point of having it is to stash it in a backpack and take it to the kind of place where you don't necessarily find tables, or level ground...)

Last edited by Auros (2016-02-06 00:59:03)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#591 2017-05-21 09:27:42

ylvs
Mantis

The sound in Denmark really does make me happy this year. So glad I bought this mighty gadget.

Board footer