Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2004-01-21 06:29:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Chaven's tower

I have always loathed this language...
What exatly is going wrong for you?

"I should hate myself for never going to bed early enough, but instead I just hate the entire world for making me get up at 6:30." 
- Magpie

#27 2004-01-21 06:36:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Languages: Javascript is evil.

Computer Purchasing: There was a 5 year gap...

Audio: I'll have to play connecting the spdif to my receiver next weekend then (though I think I'm probably a port or two short once the Xbox (opt) and DVD player (coax) are connected - the GC and PS2 will get linked up through a standard 2 channel connection - it may be easier to just link up the multichannel inputs and set the receiver to decode the bass channel).
On the other hand, it's not as though the speaker placement will be suitable for the PC anyway, less I'm using the telly as the monitor.

[ January 21, 2004: Message edited by: footle ]

"The classic Mail headline which begins 'Is this the Most Evil/Depraved/Shocking...?' can almost always be answered 'actually, no'." - Andrew Marr

#28 2004-01-21 06:42:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, in my case the speakers are used for the computer only, though the placing is still not optimal.

Are you sure that your receiver can handle the bass decoding when you use the multi channel input? All receivers I've seen so far can only handle this for digital inputs and analog stereo inputs. The nForce APU should be able to output a correct subwoofer channel though, so that's not a problem anyway.

The only problem might be, that the analog signal quality of most nForce mainboards isn't very good. The difference in quality between the analog and the digital connection has been quite significant, which was not the case with the Audigy.

I'd say the quality of the D/A converters was ~ Audigy 2 ZS > Receiver (rather cheap Yamaha receiver) > SB Live >> Asus A7N8X-Deluxe

[ January 21, 2004: Message edited by: Peter ]

"I should hate myself for never going to bed early enough, but instead I just hate the entire world for making me get up at 6:30." 
- Magpie

#29 2004-01-21 06:51:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I have always loathed this language...
What exatly is going wrong for you?

I have to combine it with jsp. :( Which makes it pretty hard to keep up with all the sh..

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#30 2004-01-21 07:35:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, I don't have a lot of experience with JSP, but the only problem I can think of, are escape sequences. I.e. all Java strings that end up in the html page as part of Javascript Strings must be double escaped...

- Magpie

#31 2004-01-21 07:48:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

The problem is that I have to mix them. And that really isn't a problem, but it just confuses me to no end.

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#32 2004-01-21 07:51:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Well, since on thing runs in the browser and the other on the server, you can't really "mix" them in a classical sense.

It can still be confusing sometimes, but the roles are pretty clear cut...

I've been doing pretty much the same thing, since the pbx management app that I was working on, had an html front end that made heavy use of Javascript and was generated by servlets with the aid of a custom template system.

- Magpie

#33 2004-01-21 08:36:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

And that is exactly my problem. :)

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#34 2004-01-21 08:37:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I'm not sure I understand your previous post Sahi, but if you have any questions, throw them my way.

I should remember a couple of tricks... or so I hope ;)

- Magpie

#35 2004-01-21 08:39:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Nah, no real questions. (And I meant that I am constantly confused by what is done on the server and what on the client. And I KNOW the difference and all that.)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#36 2004-01-21 08:44:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

The architecture we used was pretty complicated btw.:

The GUI was generated by servlets (JSP had not been invented when the project started) with the aid of a self written template system.

The other part of the GUI was the browser side. The pages were HTML with CSS and used a ton of Javascript. The UI was presented in a frame based layout, where only the current dialog was replaced most of the time. Another frame contained menus, and another frame a tree that contained links to all dialogs. The tree was written completely in Javascript and thus was not reloaded each time an item changed, etc...

Did I say there was a ton of Javascript?

---

The servlets generated the dialogs, but the data was stored in the application server, wereas the servlets were running in the web server (in most configs they were really different Java VM's and could operate on different machines).

The servlet would connect to the Application server (all self written, not one of the current application servers, they're even younger than JSP AFAIK ;) ) via Corba and fetch all information from there.

As you can imagine, that made for some fun when deciding where to calculate/check/store/generate various stuff ;)

- Magpie

#37 2004-01-21 15:02:00

fangler
Pilgrim

wiggin wrote:

In actuality, I'm sure your decision to buy an iMac over a PowerMac (G4 or G5, depending on the time) was based on cost. 

actually, my decision was based on footprint. See, the imac sits on our kitchen counter. Not the best place for a big tower to be. :) Aslo, i rarely upgrade my systems. i buy it, i use it. when it gets too old or slow for me, i just buy a new one that does what i need it to do. I looooove my imac. Would i like a G5? sure. but i don't really need one for my purposes. yet. :)

As for the PC side, i tend to alternate computer updating. I get a pc, then a mac, than a pc, etc. So, the next 'puter i get will most likely be a Windows box in a year or so. My dell is starting to feel slow to me. :)

I also have an older NT box and and even older PowerComputing clone. i need to dump them, but i have a hard time throwing things away. especially computers.

#38 2004-01-21 16:08:00

wiggin
Pilgrim
Website

Ah, that would be another good reason.  I hope you'll pardon my disagreement with you over the merits of iMacs.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  I'll even keep my cursing to myself. ;)

Upgrading is something I really like to be able to do.  It extends the life of a computer by six months to a year, being able to easily upgrade memory/vid cards/even motherboards.

I know what you mean about throwing out compys... I have an old PII box sitting in the corner of my room, running Mandrak 8.2.  I mean, the thing is useless - I can't even really use it as a fileserver, or to run something in the background on my main compy.  But... well... I'd just hate to toss the whole thing.  'Course, I normally give older computers to my younger sister, but even she wouldn't take this thing.

Hehe... the computer heirarchy in my family is amusing.  At my family's place, they have far more computers than people.  One is the government compy for my dad, one is the main workhorse for the sister in multimedia, another is for the sis who's a writer - just a basic word processing machine.  I used to have the fast laptop on my desk, before I moved out.  Then we had our two "special use" laptops, the ancient laptop that no one wants to use but we feel bad throwing out, and the Win98 box running my mother's loom (betcha didn't know that you could Borgify a loom)....  Ah, I'm probably missing a few.  ;)

A friend of mine has it even more pronounced.  The hacker/coder/speech recognition dad gets the three top of the line boxes (no more than one year old), the mom gets the next best compy as a hand-me-down, then the kids get the hand-me-downs in chronological order.  It works remarkably well, and their house is practically cybernetic with all of the cabling running through it (this was well before 802.11b).  Heheh...

Wow, I'm rambling.

Ender

"Tipol aleyhem aimata vafachad.  Lahem... v'lo lachem."
Precursor to something cool

#39 2004-01-21 16:28:00

fangler
Pilgrim

wiggin wrote:

I hope you'll pardon my disagreement with you over the merits of iMacs.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.  I'll even keep my cursing to myself. ;)

no problemo. just because i like something doesn't mean the whole world will. although they should.  i have excellent taste. :) and i would actually prefer you curse outloud. who knows? i might learn something.

#40 2004-01-21 17:55:00

wiggin
Pilgrim
Website

fangler wrote:

no problemo. just because i like something doesn't mean the whole world will. although they should.  i have excellent taste. :) and i would actually prefer you curse outloud. who knows? i might learn something.

*grins*  No, my curses in English tend to be fairly tame and straightforward.  In other languages, however... ;)

"Tipol aleyhem aimata vafachad.  Lahem... v'lo lachem."
Precursor to something cool

#41 2004-01-21 19:06:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Darn, Footle, you have the motherboard and chip I'm thinking on getting. Unless I wait a little bit longer til the 3200 AMD is a tad cheaper.

Cool.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#42 2004-01-22 07:24:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

For Sahi:

Hmm, this would be a *really* good stress test for your new computer. It is pushing my computer to it's limits, but it is still very playable...

The game is a nice mix of RTS and RP elements. Nice graphics and plays quite well :) . Haven't tried the demo though as I got the full version for christmas. http://spellforce.jowood.com/?rid=1180〈=en

---

Something else to try out: http://www.futuremark.com/download/?3dmark2001.shtml

This is a well known graphics Benchmark/Demo. Not perfectly up to date, but still quite useful IMHO. The successor (3DMark 2003) might also be worth a try, but it's not nearly as useful...

It would be nice if you could post scores with the default settings, as well as scores with 640x480x32 and 1600x1200x32 (and maybe default with 4xAA).

- Magpie

#43 2004-01-22 07:41:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sher, if you want to keep it cheap, the 2600 tends to be a lot cheaper than the 2800, but that might be different in the US. It's certainly a good value at ~100.

For anything faster I would not recommend an Athlon XP. The Athlon 64 3000+ is *very* interesting though. It more than deserves it's speed rating, especially in games, where it tramples all over the competition as well as it's older brother the Athlon XP...

- Magpie

#44 2004-01-22 07:45:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

That demo looks nice Peter, I'll download it as soon as I have some time. (And I'll try that other thingie)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#45 2004-01-22 07:55:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Talking about the spellforce Demo or the 3DMark 2001 Benchmark (which has a little graphics demo as well, which looks pretty cool for it's time).

- Magpie

#46 2004-01-22 08:06:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ehm, didn't my reference to "that other thingie" imply that I intended to do both? It was meant to imply that. :)

Message to the Aanimal! I just saw that Black & White (the game Jenny was looking for IIRC) is being sold by Bol.com. (Not that I expect she can buy it there...)

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#47 2004-01-22 08:13:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

That demo looks nice Peter,

Well, I still want to know, which of the two looks nice to you ;)

- Magpie

#48 2004-01-22 08:18:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Sorry I didn't know the Benchmark was a demo too. (And I was only looking at the site of the game-demo, not the demo itself.)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#49 2004-01-22 08:21:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Ok, this answers my question. I thought you meant Spellforce, but I was far from sure :)

Ok, I'm off for now. I'll look back in when I get home (probably not before 19:00).

*waves*
*vanishes*

- Magpie

#50 2004-01-22 08:23:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I will not have had time to check that stuff out before 19.00h!

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

Board footer