Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2004-02-06 06:43:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Re: Renfield's Game Lab

Picked up Soul Calibur 2 a week ago and one of my roomies and I are having fun running aound in weapon master mode trying to unlock everything...grrr...need to be a minimum of Level 71 to unlock Lizardman as a Playable Character...8P

anyone else play this? I have the PS2 version that has heihachi who's okay, but I think I'd rather have the Xbox version with Spawn..Ooooooo

For those that Do have the game, whose you favorite character?
I have several:
Ivy:...MmMMMMMm....
Talim: fast, cool weapons and moves and with the right weaponspretty darn strong too. Definatley th character I'm best at.
Mitsurugi: Possibly the most balanced Character in the Game, fun, fast and cool.

Least favorite Characetr:
Voldo: Hands Down...can't stand fighting against him and can't figure out his moves. Bodage Boy is annoying...8P

[ February 06, 2004: Message edited by: Renfield ]

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#52 2004-02-13 01:37:00

Hiragana
Pilgrim

This is what I've been playing lately. It's an RPG MUD-thingie and it's devouring all my `net, pc (and everything else) time. Pretty addictive - and I've never considered myself much of a gamer so it's suprising the amount of time I'm spending there. Oh yeah, hi Shadowmarch! Haven't been here in awhile :p

#53 2004-02-16 08:03:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Played a cut-throat game of Lord of the Rings monopoly. In basic it's kind of cool, though IO don't like the rings progress eventually ending the game, can make for a very short game. Other than that and getting shafted by only landing on three buildable properties, it was a very fun game.
We also added the stock market expansion, which is cool but odd with LoTR...still I suppose it makes a kind of sense.

- me

- me

#54 2004-03-02 09:04:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Well I finally did it, got my hands on a copy of Diablo 2 and the expansion pack, instaleld, downloaded the patch and now I'm immersed...so don't be suprised if I don't post very often for oh, say a few weeks...*grin*

- me

- me

#55 2004-03-02 12:49:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Finally signed up to XBox Live (well - the trial, and the years subscription has just been ordered off Amazon).

And PGR2.
Which is just *so* much better than the previous two games in the series it's unreal.

GamerTag: Footle (obviously - one advantage of having a peculiar pseudonym is you've very rarely got to worry about anyone else having used it...) - if anyone's interested / signed up etc.

"The classic Mail headline which begins 'Is this the Most Evil/Depraved/Shocking...?' can almost always be answered 'actually, no'." - Andrew Marr

#56 2004-03-02 12:55:00

fangler
Pilgrim

I've been considering an X-box or PS2 purchase. why did you choose X-box footle? and how much extra is the X-box live sub?

#57 2004-03-02 22:01:00

Tiny
Pilgrim

footle wrote:

And PGR2.
Which is just *so* much better than the previous two games in the series it's unreal.

GamerTag: Footle (obviously - one advantage of having a peculiar pseudonym is you've very rarely got to worry about anyone else having used it...) - if anyone's interested / signed up etc.

I never played any previous PGR games, but PGR2 is the most fun I've ever had with a racing game. Look me up on Live - gamertag "spaceherring" - although I live in a far-away country with very sad broadband access where I can't usually successfully join games hosted in the US. And we have this weird timezone that means I'll be in bed or at work when you want to play. And I haven't been on at all for 2 months because of other distractions. Apart from that, I'd love to have a race some time :)

Oh and Fangler: My solution to the Xbox vs PS2 debate was to get both - not a very elegant solution, I'll admit. Xbox has better graphics and online support, and built in hard drive so no memory cards needed. PS2 has a whole lot more games to play on it, and mine at least is a lot quieter.

You need to consider which games you really want to play, which controller is more comfortable for you, and add up the cost of all the extra bits you need - additional controllers, AV cables, memory cards, network adapters, live subscriptions, vertical stands... and don't forget you are supposed to be having fun at some point :)

#58 2004-03-03 00:47:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

fangler wrote:

I've been considering an X-box or PS2 purchase. why did you choose X-box footle? and how much extra is the X-box live sub?

I buy them all.
*cackles manically*.

The XBox Live sub is 30 for a year, with two demos. One of the demos is rubbish (Mechwarrior) and one of the demos is great (Moto GP, which will *allow you to use all the tracks from the original Moto GP online if you've got a saved game on the hard disk*) - as long as you rent the original...

PGR2 is great.

"The classic Mail headline which begins 'Is this the Most Evil/Depraved/Shocking...?' can almost always be answered 'actually, no'." - Andrew Marr

#59 2004-03-04 11:31:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Tiny wrote:

Look me up on Live - gamertag "spaceherring" - although I live in a far-away country with very sad broadband access where I can't usually successfully join games hosted in the US. And we have this weird timezone that means I'll be in bed or at work when you want to play. And I haven't been on at all for 2 months because of other distractions. Apart from that, I'd love to have a race some time :)

Added :)

#60 2004-03-04 11:51:00

fangler
Pilgrim

Tiny wrote:

...and add up the cost of all the extra bits you need - additional controllers, AV cables, memory cards, network adapters, live subscriptions, vertical stands... and don't forget you are supposed to be having fun at some point :)

that's the big one for me. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of extra crap just to play the game. My 'rents got a Gamecube for us to play with while we visited over the holidays, and i was pretty pissed that i couldn't save any games unless i went out and bought an extra memory card. So with X-box you don't need to do that, but PS2 you do?

As for games, i'm pretty much only interested in sports games like football and hockey and SpongeBob SquarePants which i saw on a PS2 and have been dying to play since. *hopes it is on X-box, too* :)

#61 2004-03-04 16:13:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Rightio.

Xbox:
Extra controllers, maybe.
New AV cable (recommended for *all* consoles since SVideo / RGB scart / component is so much better than the composite you get in the box).
Live subscription, if you want.

PS2:
Extra controllers, maybe.
New AV cable.
Memory Card (for otherwise you can't save anything).
Network adapter (if you want to go online).
Headset (if you can find a game that supports it for voice comms).

Since you probably don't mean football... (ok, soccer), either console would do. But the Xbox is probably cheaper, even before the memory cards and stuff get counted.

If you *actually* meant soccer, then the PS2 is the only real choice - Pro Evolution Soccer 3 (or Winning Eleven 7) is, by common consent, many many times better than the latest edition of Fifa. And isn't available on the Xbox.

#62 2004-03-04 22:17:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

footle: you sound like me.. I like to have them all too.

Got Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles for my birfday.. haven't played it yet though. It's for Game Cube. Pretty much have my Final Fantasy collection complete.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#63 2004-03-05 17:23:00

fangler
Pilgrim

footle wrote:

Since you probably don't mean football... (ok, soccer), either console would do. But the Xbox is probably cheaper, even before the memory cards and stuff get counted.

If you *actually* meant soccer, then the PS2 is the only real choice

*grins* i did mean american Football. Although i like soccer, too. But soccer, i prefer to actually play, while american football i prefer to virtually play.  Thanks for all the advice, and you have definitely steered me to the x-box. as much as i hate giving any more money to microsoft, they do tend to have good products. damn them and their goodness via evil. :)

#64 2004-03-05 17:47:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

buy pgr2. It's great.

#65 2004-03-05 18:50:00

fangler
Pilgrim

footle wrote:

buy pgr2. It's great.

was this to me or sher? I see from previous posts  that it is a racing game, which i also like, but what does pgr2 stand for? Also, would i need to get a steering wheel or is that just overkill?

[ March 05, 2004: Message edited by: fangler ]

#66 2004-03-06 00:56:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

fangler wrote:

was this to me or sher?

Everyone :)

[b] I see from previous posts  that it is a racing game, which i also like, but what does pgr2 stand for? Also, would i need to get a steering wheel or is that just overkill?

project gotham racing 2.

I'm not sure there *is* a decent steering wheel on the xbox.

#67 2004-03-06 02:24:00

Tiny
Pilgrim

The Xbox controller is very good for driving once you get used to it. And PGR2 IS great :)

#68 2004-03-10 12:41:00

fangler
Pilgrim

Thanks all for your help and advice. I just added X-Box to my Birthday wish list.

#69 2004-03-11 08:27:00

Ren
Pilgrim

My regular sunday game is dying soon so I've been taking votes on what to run next so far the choices are down to:

1 - Legend of the Five Rings
2 - Stargate / Spycraft
3 - BESM (Big Eyes Small Mouth)

As Gm I feel i had to get a vote too so I'm hoping to be running L5r, but one of the players really isn't into the whole Oriental Culture thing...whcih is weird casue she has a wood oriental dragon. But I think I can talk her into accepting it, I hope. have some good ideas for a campaign that should be fun and low-key. Once i decide what I'm playing I'll try to post a running Blog-type thing.

- me

- me

#70 2004-03-16 13:21:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Well it looks like the Stargate/Spycraft RPG won out, but I may strip it down to just base Spycraft as they don't seem to be combining as regularily as I'd like. Oh well...more to come later...

[ March 16, 2004: Message edited by: Renfield ]

- me

- me

#71 2004-03-16 13:46:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

BESM is amusing. i played that game for a really short time (a few hours) a couple of years ago. i have a vague remembrance of the rulebook being about 10 pages long. isn't it a fairly new one?

i think my favourite tabletop rpg is the dnd OA. mostly because i got to play a wu jen which, imo, is the best spellcaster class ever.

"It's not that it's such a mystery
This new-found malaise.
It's just that this mystery
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#72 2004-03-16 13:55:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Well the new edition BESM is considerably alrger than 10 pages but it's also size of your average comic book trade paper back.
Either unimportant as we will be doign Spycraft anyway. Which can be a fairly entertaining game in and of itself...8)

- me

- me

#73 2004-03-16 14:07:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

i've never played spycraft before. my experience as a gamer is rather limited.

to bring larping up again, though...always wanted to do that. but foam weapons? psh! i didn't spend my paycheques on a wall of weapons just so i can hit people with nerf swords! well...*evil grin*

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

#74 2004-03-16 14:11:00

Ren
Pilgrim

um yeah well most boffer LARPers feel the same...but theres that pesky insurance thingy. Want to use real weapons, join the SCA...8)

Though my favorite RPG, if it's done right, is 7th Sea. Swashbuckling and Sorcery at it's finest!

- me

- me

#75 2004-03-16 14:17:00

ceywren
Pilgrim
Website

oh my! must try that one. i'll see if i can bum a few games out of the local university club.

This new-found malaise.
Has taken your place."

-Gordon Downie, Mystery-

Board footer