Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2004-01-08 00:53:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

Re: Renfield's Game Lab

Citan really does rule, but I think my favorite character was Billy.  Bart was pretty cool too.  Citan was just way too powerful after he got his sword, though...

and yes, the story is amaaaaaaazing.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

#27 2004-01-08 06:11:00

Ren
Pilgrim

I dunno Billy's dad was pretty cool tpp especially once Billy got his Omnigear...

"FIRE ME BOY!"

All I have to say....*grin*

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#28 2004-01-14 08:21:00

Ren
Pilgrim

So, anybody running or playing and good RPG's? Tabletop I mean.
Currently I am running a Star Wars Campaign (When I'm not flaking and forgetting it entirely...8P) and a 7th Sea Camapign. And Playing in Legend of the Five Rings game (that will be ending very soon.) nad Various LARPs. Hopefully soon I'll get to start playing Rifts...whee...

- me

- me

#29 2004-01-14 16:52:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

sigh, been so long since i did any roleplaying,.. i rember the star wars campaine i was in, i was a psycotic alderanian bountyhunter, travlin around with a wookie diplomat, and a garishl;y dressed pirate

for some strange reason we kept gettin into trouble,

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#30 2004-01-15 05:52:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Heh I have an ABC Mechanic Droid that suffered split personality, a Barabel jedi-in-training, a Tattooed Human woman bounty hunter and a fiesty spitfir lady pilot. Not to mention Bob the Droid with the brain the size of a planet and other sundry NPC's...8)

- me

- me

#31 2004-01-19 05:38:00

Ren
Pilgrim

feel lik a boob, I completely forgot I was running my Starwars game last week...8(
...have to make it up to my players with a really decent adventure tthis tuesday. Maybe somehting that's actually PLANNED as opposed to my usual off-the-cuff sorta thing. question is what to do...*ponder*

Lets see...well two of their friends are missing so I think perhaps I'll get word to them that at least one has been found at an Imperial prsion she's recently been transffered to. So many plots....so little time.
Though my Star wars game is not nearly so complex as my 7th sea Game...and that game is just starting to enter the realms of the players get involved with someone's political machinations.

Maybe it's time for me to start telling the tale of the Knight-Defenders of Freiburg...
...but need to get my list of Dramatis personae before I do so otherwise I'll confuse myself trying to figure it out. Need to sit down with the note-taking player and work out the timeline of events so I have it all straight in my head...tis verra complex.

[ January 19, 2004: Message edited by: Renfield ]

- me

- me

#32 2004-01-19 06:04:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm actually thinking about finding out more about LARPing. I'm working on a costume already and so is my (not so) little brother. The costumes are intended for the fantasy fair this summer. But using it for LARPing seems cool too.

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#33 2004-01-19 06:05:00

footle
Pilgrim
Website

Footle's Game Reviews

Based on a potential 5 Happy Turtles [@] system where more happy turtles equals a better game!

For now, I'll yammer about games that I play on the X-Box.  Caveat: All Footle reviews are basically worthless as they reflect only what games he personally liked or didn't like.  Go out and play 'em for yourself! 

Knights of the Old Republic
Rating @@@@ + 9/10 @

Star Wars. But Good.

Halo
Rating @@@@@

And even better with lots of Xboxs in one room and a network hub.
(Oh, and 16 players).

Prince of Persia
Rating Lots of @

On any platform. Tomb Raider done right.

Burnout 2
Rating @@@@

Feel queasy on the freeway, as you merrily slip your way past oncoming cars. More forgiving than the original.

Top Spin
Rating @@@@

It's Virtua Tennis. But with a graphics upgrade and a little bit more complication. Plus you can make your own players up (though we did fail to make our Tony Soprano player sufficiently fat enough...)

"The classic Mail headline which begins 'Is this the Most Evil/Depraved/Shocking...?' can almost always be answered 'actually, no'." - Andrew Marr

#34 2004-01-19 08:02:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Sahi wrote:

I'm actually thinking about finding out more about LARPing. I'm working on a costume already and so is my (not so) little brother. The costumes are intended for the fantasy fair this summer. But using it for LARPing seems cool too.

Yalahii.

Depends on the LARP you want to get involved with I guess. I mostly play Vampire LARPS and there are times/places when an ancient Vampire may still wear old duds, but not in most cases there won't a lot of call for it.
But in the case of what we call "Boffer" LARP's which is udually a fantasy RPG of soem sort played with heavily padded foam weapons, the a fantasy costume is perfect, but be prepared to doa  lot of running!

- me

- me

#35 2004-01-19 08:07:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Most of what I have seen of LARP organisations from the Netherlands they are fantasy based. The one that speaks to me most is one called Vortex. The world they play in is called the Vortex, a place that has gateways to every fantasy land imaginable, on the condition that they are not into technology yet (so no muskets).

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#36 2004-01-19 13:02:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Um, define technology then. Swords are technology compared to a flint spear....*grin*...heck a flint spear is a step above bare hands...8)

- me

- me

#37 2004-01-20 00:48:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*grins* True. I don't think they quite frased it like that though. They very explicitly meant no gunpowder (and hence no guns or cannons) or anything more advanced. Just weapons you can swing at other people. I believe there is also some limited magic (bound by rules).

It sounded incredibly fun. If only I could find the time for it.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#38 2004-01-26 07:59:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Anyone play a Board game called "Formula De"?
It's put out by a french Company called Descartes and is an immense amount of fun. It's a baord game version of GP racing. Each of the 6 gears is represent by a different-sided die. Ex- 1st gear = 1d4, numbered 1-2. 2nd gear = 1d6, number 3-5 etc...basically whatever gear you are in you roll the appropriate die and go that number of spaces on the board. The trick is when you hit the corners you have to make x number of 'stops' ie end your turn within that turn x number of times. X = 1-3.
The real beauty of this game is that the base game comes with two tracks representing Monaco on one side and some Dutch track on the other. There are expansions that cover just about every GP circuit track in exist and runs about $20 per set of two tracks. Lots of fun for everyone!
If You haven't checked it out do so, for only $30-$40 for the base game it's a bargain!

- me

- me

#39 2004-01-26 08:02:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Cool, is the Dutch track "Zandvoort" by any chance? *that being one of the very few tracks I know of*

Just recently Peter introduced me to SpellForce. And now I want the game. *mutters* evil boy, introducing me to a new (and therefore expensive) game.

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#40 2004-01-26 08:11:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Actually that is the track exactly I believe.
And I'm getting bored of Computer games. Osmehting about having a too-slow computer and too little time to play in. *shrug*

- me

- me

#41 2004-01-26 08:16:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm ever so happy about my new compy. It won't be too slow for a few years. :) But alas, I also have no time to play. Otherwise the fact that I couldn't save wouldn't have bothered me. :p

yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#42 2004-01-27 05:44:00

Ren
Pilgrim

RE: Gauntlet: Dark Legacy
Stuart, listen to what the clues say. Just beofre you finish the second to last area and hit the exit there is a piece of paper that will say something like: "You would be a fool o go up against <bossname> without the <legend item>. Each End boss has a specific Item that screws'em up in soemway and keep in mnd you do NOT have to kill the bosses each time you finsih the second to last sub-realm. By that point you crystals and or golden talismans to go to the next sub-area, so go there and start thorugh those. the legend Items versus a given boss are almost never in the same Main relam as the boss with the exception of the last general Boss.  When You enter a Sub-realm if it shows an opening cut scene watch it and pay attention, they will tell you if there's a Legend Item there. here's a Brief list of items and where they are located:
Forsaken Province:
Scroll of Protection vs. Yeti (Ice)
Mountain Kingdom:
Spear of Blinding vs. Toxic Fiend (Sky)
Castle Realm:
Ice Axe vs. Dragon (Mountain)
Sky Realm: Holy Book vs. Lich (Forsaken)
Forest Realm:
Scimitar of Decapitation vs. Chimera (Castle)
Desert Realm:
Bellows of Poison vs. Spider Queen (Forest)
Ice Realm:
Lantern of Obfuscation vs. Genie (Desert)
Nightmare:
Lamp of Shadows vs. Wraith King (Nightmare)
Desecrated Temple:
Soul Savior vs. Skorne (Temple)
there are no Legend items vs. Skorne the second time around or vs. Garm. Suck it up!

If you need any other help let me know! Also I can tell you that unlocking the secret characters can be fun and annoying.

- me

- me

#43 2004-01-27 17:09:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

John Hepner wrote:

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Rating @@@@

A fun puzzle-solver/fighting game mix.  I found the story to be a lot of fun. 

Currently in play -- Prince of Persia.

Oooo, thanks John. I've been thinking on trying both of these. I really like puzzle-solving.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#44 2004-01-27 17:10:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Renfield wrote:

Anyone else here a fan of the Monster Rancher games for Play Station? I finally beat the Ubermonster for MR3 a few days ago. Now aiting to get my hands on MR4!

;-pppppppppppppppp

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#45 2004-01-28 06:26:00

Ren
Pilgrim

*grabs tongue*

hee....8)

- me

- me

#46 2004-01-28 06:38:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

What are you going to do with that?

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#47 2004-01-28 07:32:00

AJ
Pilgrim

I got the Age of Mythology, The Titans expansion for my birthday! 

oh yes!!!!!!!

*goes off to try a bit of world domination before lunch*
:D

#48 2004-01-30 00:25:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I just found Discworld Noir and Knights & Merchants, both for one Euro. I know they're old games, but who leaves stuff like that lying around for only 1 Euro? :)

Yalahii.

Scrollbearer

#49 2004-02-04 06:42:00

AJ
Pilgrim

Ren - pm :)

(wow, i hit flood control! haven't done that for years! Literally!)  :D

#50 2004-02-04 09:46:00

chamberk
Pilgrim

I've been really enjoying the new Mario Kart game recently.  Opening up all of the secrets is rather grueling, though.

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows."  - Bob Dylan

Board footer