Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2004-01-06 07:16:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

Renfield's Game Lab

and with a smack of the magical salmon it hath been done...

A room full of bookshelves full of RPG's and Boardgames, 8'x4' tables at varying heights surrounded by comfy chairs.
In one corner is a collection of bins with carefully packed miniatures for war games. Another seris of bins hold dice of all sizes from d2's up to d100's. One whole section is occupied by a series of Computers wired into a LAN and set up with a plethroa of multi-player games.
Come in, sit down and enjoy a game or two!

[ January 06, 2004: Message edited by: wikedtrybe ]

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#2 2004-01-06 07:28:00

ElderTurtle
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Renfield's Game Lab

Woo Hoo!

Irony: God gave the turtle a drag coefficient of 0.3

#3 2004-01-06 07:42:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

hey ren,i moved your description up into the first post, then deleted the redundunt one,..

with that said, any one here ever hear of diskwars?

Slave of the lizard king

#4 2004-01-06 07:51:00

ElderTurtle
Pilgrim
Website

Some miscellaneous gaming chatter:

Heptonian's Game Reviews

Based on a potential 5 Happy Turtles [@] system where more happy turtles equals a better game!

For now, I'll yammer about games that I play on the X-Box.  Caveat: All Heptonian reviews are basically worthless as they reflect only what games he personally liked or didn't like.  Go out and play 'em for yourself! 

Knights of the Old Republic
Rating @@@@ + 9/10 @

The best thing to happen to Star Wars since A New Hope!  This game is one of the top ten reasons to own an X-Box.  Great story meshed with good game-play.  The only reason that I don't give it 5 happy turtles is that the two "paths" Light-Side and Dark-Side that you can take the protagonist down are (until the end) essentially identical.  It's exactly the same story with two different endings.  Although the plot twist had me up out of my chair and cheering the first time I hit it.

Halo
Rating @@@@@

Wow.  Just wow.  And I don't even like First Person Shooters!  This game is one of the top ten reasons to own an X-Box.  Probably up there at number 1.  And Halo II is coming out soon.

Armed and Dangerous
Rating: @@@@ + 3/4 @

So now there are two First Person Shooters I like.  Imagine if Monty Python, Douglas Adams, and the guys who do South Park all got together and developed a shooter.  This give you an idea of the strange, bizarre, twisted, and just plain wrong humor that litters this game like some littery thing.  Game play is simple ... perhaps a little too simple in places.  Not a lot of interaction with the world other than shooting things.  A lot.

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy
Rating @@@@

A fun puzzle-solver/fighting game mix.  I found the story to be a lot of fun.  Unfortunately they didn't get around to getting voice actors (although the cut scenes are clearly modeled for speech) so it's all sub-titled.  Likewise the save-game system is a little wierd (in that you can only have 3 games active at a time and can't go back to an earlier "save" point in a particular game.)  However, these were but minor detractions from a game that I really enjoyed.  If you have a choice between Prince of Persia and Sphinx ... get Sphinx first.

More games reviewed later.

Currently in play -- Prince of Persia and Goblin Commander.

Irony: God gave the turtle a drag coefficient of 0.3

#5 2004-01-06 07:51:00

Ren
Pilgrim

works for me! Thanks.

Yes I have heard of that game, lots of fun and took off like a rocket, then died horribly. Fortunately I sold out of my statsh when it was still realtively popular...8)

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#6 2004-01-06 08:00:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

yeah, magenight pretty much killed it, it ruled though, i still have mosto my mogs, stuck gathering dust most of them

Slave of the lizard king

#7 2004-01-06 08:05:00

Ren
Pilgrim

You mean mageblight right? Hate that damn cheap POS game...so many people argue that "Oh it' so much chepaer than Regular miniatures and you don't have to paint them"

Well by the time You have the army you want you've spent mroe money than most Miniatures players for crappy craftsmanship and worse paintjobs. I'll stick to my 40k thanks.

- me

- me

#8 2004-01-06 10:31:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hey, now we have two gamerooms! :) (More games is a good thing.)

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#9 2004-01-06 11:33:00

fangler
Pilgrim

anyone here play monopoly? i like to be the hat.

#10 2004-01-06 11:49:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Hat? not Me always the Car...zoom! Can't charge me rent if you can't catch me!

- me

- me

#11 2004-01-06 11:57:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

the iron works better as a projectile,..

and then there are those versions with the cannon..

Slave of the lizard king

#12 2004-01-06 12:12:00

fangler
Pilgrim

C'mon. the hat is so carefree. it just blows doen the street with the wind.

as for charging rent, you have to run out of gas sometime.

as for projectiles, i use the boot.

#13 2004-01-06 12:13:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

yeah, but the boot says lasy bum, the iron says pissed off housewife, who is more frightening to you..

Slave of the lizard king

#14 2004-01-06 16:15:00

fangler
Pilgrim

i choose option C: the rabid dog. sic 'em boy!

#15 2004-01-06 23:46:00

Tiny
Pilgrim

Haven't played monopoly for a loooong time, I tend to play more on the Xbox and PS2, when I get time to play anything. I've been playing Project Gotham Racing 2 on Xbox Live - it's great fun to fire up the box and jump into a race any time, with people from all over the world. And you get to insult them while racing :)

#16 2004-01-07 06:23:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Anyone else here a fan of the Monster Rancher games for Play Station? I finally beat the Ubermonster for MR3 a few days ago. Now aiting to get my hands on MR4!

- me

- me

#17 2004-01-07 08:22:00

Ren
Pilgrim

when I get a chance, ie- a nice block of time, I'll post the stuff I've been doing to my 7th sea Players. I'm ery proud of the convoluted plotline I've been running...8)

- me

- me

#18 2004-01-07 12:10:00

fangler
Pilgrim

okay, i'm thinking of getting an x-box or ps2 so i can play football and /or hockey on it. any suggestions as to which unit to buy and then which game?

#19 2004-01-07 12:39:00

Ren
Pilgrim

I*'m partial to the PS2 but Xbox live lets you play people around the world.
I can't reccomend sports games as I don't play them...not my bag baby.
Gimme a good RPG any day of the week.

Speaking of Good RPGs:
Xenogears for the Playstation has one of the BEST storylines EVER done for a platform game. Sure the graphics are outdated now, but an awesome story.

- me

- me

#20 2004-01-07 12:54:00

Rook
Mantis
Website

Has anyone seen that TV show on MTV2 that animates game characters and has them dance and lip synch to a top 40 hit?

I'm not really a fan of the show, but I did see it while flipping through the channels last Saturday.  I never realized how frightening the SSX 3 characters could be until they showed an interview with "Moby Jones".  And, of course having Zoe (whose original voice is alternative artist Biff Naked) get voiced by someone who sounds like L'il Kim.  Truly, truly disturbing.

Sad, too, since SSX 3 is an awesome game.  I kinda miss the "Tricky" theme when ubertricks become available, though.

“The past,” they say, “is now truly like a foreign country. They do things exactly the same there.” --- Douglas Adams

Rooktopia! (Personal)

#21 2004-01-07 16:40:00

AJ
Pilgrim

Hi Ren!

I promised to pop in and I've finally made it :)

Can't really talk about games ATM, *eyes the LOTR Xbox game that's still in it's wrapper after 5 months*, but one that my brother told me about is divine/divinity (apparently it's a rubbish name but a fantastic RPG for the PC) Anyone played?

#22 2004-01-07 16:52:00

shadowsandice
Pilgrim
Website

If you want to play sports online, it might (might) be best to stick with the PS2.  EA, who in general make the best sport games around, don't have a real happy relationship going with Microsoft, and to my knowledge have no intention of making any Xbox sports game online.

If online isn't a huge priority, then you can't go wrong with either, really.

Seconds for Hepner - Knights and Halo are the only two reasons you need to buy an Xbox.  (Got Knights for Christmas.  Wheee!)

silence-without - Bringing you the views of Tessadom
Wild and Free! Like a BADGER!!!  ::  Fight Club for BB posters

#23 2004-01-07 16:55:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

I'm playing through Deus Ex on my pc again. Once I'm done I'm gonna rent and xbox and check out the Invisible War (deus ex 2). I don't really expect that it'll live up to the first one, but it'll be something to do.

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#24 2004-01-07 17:21:00

lian
Pilgrim
Website

Xenogears!

fear the disc 2. Fear it. Nonetheless,

I want  to marry Citan Uzuki.

*sobs*

#25 2004-01-07 20:14:00

Ren
Pilgrim

*GRIN*
Yeah Doc Uzuki is verra cool and prolly one of the more entertaining characters in the game. Not to mention I NICE bonus addition to the party since he's all kinds of bad-ass from the get go!

Ah, the next question though is, have you played Xenosaga, the prequel? I Played it and loved it thought it was too short and left too much unresolved. Course it's designed to be a continuing storyline. Can't wait till Part 2!

- me

- me

Board footer