Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2004-01-25 21:29:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Mooey's Bouncy Castle

::blows on fingers::

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#52 2004-01-26 15:16:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

Weary from his questionable activities in the woods, the Tattooed Man trudges into his trailer only to emerge a moment later with renewed fire. 

"WHO BEEN IN MUH CLAWZIT?!" he bellows, charging down the two steps and across the yard to the patio.  A small flash of lavender, flashing as fast as one can when bumbling, disappears behind the bouncy castle.  Candide looks up from her copy of Cosmo and lets her fashionable sunglasses slide down her nose.  She stirs her daiquiri idly, saying "Oh, honey, just chill out.  The kid needed to fix the castle.  If you were worth half of what we're paying your skeevy ass, you would have been here to fix it yourself."  With this, both the sunglasses and the daiquiri disappeared back behind the mammoth magazine, and this the Tattooed Man was dismissed with a grumble.

He stomped his way back into his trailer, glowering at the patched-up castle on the way.  A twinkling of laughter was heard from behind the castle, accompanied by a twirling of smoke.

[ January 26, 2004: Message edited by: Mwyaren ]

Walter, put the cow away, would you?!

Have a gander at the jewelry I've been making...

#53 2004-01-26 18:05:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

so we're deep-frying stuff for dinner again and i decide to do some mccain's potato smiles... have you seen these? they're the best thing in the world... little smiley-shaped mashed potato thingies. 

you're not supposed to fry them, but it's so much fun to.  you can watch the oil bubble out of their eye sockets and sometimes they grow tumors.  no matter what else happens, though, you have this pot of smiling faces swimming in boiling oil... it's a true thing of beauty.

so i'm getting a major kick out of this... stepbob's just shaking his head at me.  i put them on the plate to blot the oil and end up mushing one of them, at which point i start making elephant man jokes.  i picked it and made it say "i am not an animaaaaal!  i am a smiley-shaped potato treat!"

i think i scared bob.  you would think he would be used to it by now.

#54 2004-01-26 18:23:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

wow, thats really kinda creepie

Slave of the lizard king

#55 2004-01-26 18:28:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

#56 2004-01-28 14:39:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

so the degus have been freaking out for about fifteen minutes now.  the babies are drinking water now, so i put a second water bottle in the cage.  everyone is still drinking from the original one and ignoring the new one.  i took out the original one and left them with the new one, which they started fighting over.  since they figured out this other new thing that looks like the old thing also provides water, i put the original one back in.  they're still fighting.  all ten of them, clammoring for two water bottles.  dumbasses.  you would think that at the very least, their penchant for chewing on everything would have made them realize it sooner.

dumbasses.

#57 2004-01-28 15:25:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

*sigh* so i got tired of the fighting.  i got out a disposable plastic cup and put some water in it with the intention of taking babies out one at a time and tipping the cup so they could sip.

the first one caught on.  *lap lap* *sneeze* *lap lap* *sneeze* because the water kept going up his nose.  it was adorable.  he drank his fill and went back into the cage.

the second one looked in the cup.  *lap lap* *sneeze* and then proceeded to venture his way into the cup.

i start tipping the cup further and further for fear that the baby would end up face down in the water.  also tried to coax him back out with the half a hand i had free.  he would not be deterred.  i ended up in a wet t-shirt contest and the baby ended up with a very wet belly, which he decided to share first by trying to climb my nose and then by walking across the back of my neck.

then he went back in the cage where his mother sucked all the water out of his fur.

#58 2004-01-28 16:20:00

FlutePicc
Pilgrim

hee hee hee!

So cute!!!

I want one!

:)

#59 2004-01-28 16:37:00

Jendaiya
Pilgrim
Website

*giggles*

How sweet! What silly little creatures. Why is it when you try to help an animal do something they invariably mess it up and make it memorable and adorable?

I like Degus. I was offered a pair a while back but I figured it wouldn't be fair to them to have to live around my monster cats.

Beauty will save the world.

~Prince Myshkin,

The Idiot, by Dostoevsky

#60 2004-01-28 16:55:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

they're awesome.  as for degus and khats, it's really not a good idea unless you can find a way to electrify the lid so it zaps the khats and not the degus. 

when i was living with whatshisface, i used to have to make the khat fly at least twice a day.  not that she could get to them in their aquarium, but it's the principle of the thing... no one, not even another "child," messes with my babies.

#61 2004-01-29 21:13:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Oooohh. The babies sound sooo cute. Do ya have any pictures yet? I wanna see 'em.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#62 2004-01-30 17:11:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

no pics of this batch, unfortunately.  no digital camera :(  i hate to say it, being the proud gramma that i am, but realistically, they all look pretty much the same.

they'll be four weeks old tomorrow.  two more weeks until sadtime :(  i wish they stayed just the way they are now, then i could keep lots of them.

#63 2004-01-30 19:05:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

Oh...

*pouts*

:-(

"Life may not be the party we hoped for.. but while we're here, we might as well DANCE!" Anon

#64 2004-02-02 15:37:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

Mooey was bumbling about as usual, but Candide noticed something was wrong.  Mooey agreed.  "I feel I have a little more 'bum' but not quite enough 'ble.'"  Candide let that one go, stifling a snicker.  She had an idea of what may be wrong and went off to make a phone call.

A few hours later, sitting upon a tall stool in a shady part of the patio, Mooey swung her little feet and waited for the special visitor Candide had invited over.  "We're gonna fix my bumble!" shouted Mooey to each passerby, which was often as not met with a look of grave confusion.

He appeared from the path behind the bouncy castle, eyeing it up over the top of his small, frameless spectacles.  He was stocky and hansdome with close-cropped hair and dark, Mediterranean features.  His assertive stride brought him to the patio quickly, and he spoke brusquely and with a great deal of authority.

"I'm Dr. Kaknis, Mooey, and I'm here to look at your eyes.  Candide tells me there may be a problem."

Mooey looked up at him and said timidly, "I think I sprained my bumble."  Candide put a knuckle in her mouth and turned away.

The doctor cleared his throat, his poise faltering.  "Well... erm... sometimes the eyes are connected to the, erm, bumble."  Clearing his throat again, he said, "Now, just relax, Mooey.  I need you to tip your head back and-- um..."

"What?"

"You don't need to stick out your tongue."  He fluffed away the small puff of smoke and wiped his glasses with a cloth from his jacket pocket.  "I'm a different kind of doctor."  Before Mooey could quite tuck her tail between her legs, he added, "Not that kind of doctor, either.  Just relax and tip back your head."

He produced a small flashlight from another jacket pocket and, holding her eyes open in turn, shone it into.  In the interim, Mooey's right eye became significantly lower than her left.  "Sit up, baby," said Candide, putting our little dragon friend upright on the stool.

"This doesn't fix my bumble," said the dragon, bumbling with parts other than her feet.

"It will, just hold still and let him finish."

"I want nachos."

"Oh, definitely not until after I'm done," interrupted the doctor, whose eyes were still watering from the blast of nervous strawberry received moments before.  "If you hold still, Mooey, this will be over real quick."  Mooey nodded, smoke curling from her quivering nostrils.  "But I can't help you if you squint your eyes shut like that."

~*~*~*~

An hour and a half later, our little dragon friend was bumbling about on the lawn, arms stretched before her, a pair of disposable cellophane sunglasses on her face.  "This definitely doesn't help my bumble."  She had stopped counting how many times she fell down, but at least she wasn't knocking into trees.  Not to mention everything was tinted a very pretty blue.

Dr. Kaknis sat at the bar, rubbing his temples, while Candide brought him extra-strength Tylenol and an extra-strength daiquiri "in please, dear God, anything but strawberry."

Candide covered a smirk as she watched Mooey on the lawn and said to the doctor, "What's the verdict?"

The doctor took a very long swig of his drink to wash down the pills and said, "Well, it's not so bad.  It'll be a very low-grade prescription.  Did she pick out frames?"

Candide did not hide her smirk this time.  She reached into her purse and showed the doctor a very large, rhinestone-encrusted, raspberry-colored set of frames.  The doctor raised an eyebrow.  "Oops, those are mine!" blushed Candide, rifling through her purse.  This time she emerged with a set of sleek and sassy tortoiseshell cat's eye frames, ones that any librarian/stripper would be proud to wear.

The doctor nodded and, smiling for the first time all afternoon, put the frames in his pocket.  "Two weeks.  I'll bill you then."  Candide nodded and thanked him, bidding him a good afternoon.

She watched him walk back up the path then turned her gaze to Mooey, who waved dazedly from the spot where she'd planted herself on the lawn.  "I fixed my bumble myself," she shouted, patting the ground.

Candide let her eyes wander back to the doctor walking away from her and debated the merits of getting him to look at her own bumble.  Getting one's eyes checked regularly can only be healthy, after all.

#65 2004-02-02 16:01:00

wildmagiclady
Pilgrim
Website

*giggles*

#66 2004-02-02 20:01:00

Susan Queen of the Univ
Pilgrim

silly mooey!

"I maked these."  -Gall Bladder

#67 2004-02-02 21:18:00

FlutePicc
Pilgrim

Heh.
The doctor might prefer other flavours but I'd like a strawberry daquiri!  Yum!

Of course I've never tried one that wasn't virgin 'cause I don't like rum...

But the strawberry part sure is good!

#68 2004-02-03 00:49:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*smiles*

This sure is a happy place. :)

yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#69 2004-02-03 15:53:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

::bounces about::

rum is good.  i love daiquiries.  raspberry is my favorite, though.  wouldn't mind trying a blackberry one ::plots::

@Sahi: this room is all about escapism :)  return to youth and all that.  not to mention exploring one's inner drag queen.  ok, that one's just me.

#70 2004-02-04 00:34:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well it's sure working in here. :)

*bounces*

Yalahii.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#71 2004-02-05 21:09:00

Susan Queen of the Univ
Pilgrim

*bounces in*
*bounces about*
*bounces out again*

"I maked these."  -Gall Bladder

#72 2004-02-09 18:07:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

Westminster Dog Show in NYC tonight!  ::bouncy::  i love dog shows.

favorite breeds include Shiba Inu, Basenji, Tibetan Spaniel, and Malamute.

anyone else?

#73 2004-02-09 19:31:00

dragondawn
Pilgrim

not surprisingly, meeeeee!!! *bounces*

dooooooooooooggggggggiiiiiiiieeeeeeesssssss!

my faves are of course rotties, but also great danes, mastiffs, pugs, and black cocker spaniels.

My religion is to live and die without regret. ~ Milarepa

#74 2004-02-09 19:39:00

Mwyaren
Pilgrim
Website

Norfolk terrier!  wheeee!

they're punt-size, but they're still cute as all get-out.

i used to say that if i had to bend to pet a dog, it was too small (and mind you, i'm short).  then we got a shiba, and all that changed.  meeting a couple pugs also helped change that.  pugs have awesome personality.

#75 2004-02-09 20:33:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

personaly i gotta say i am a fan of the bigger dogs, partel to sheperds myself, my mothers dog tuesday is a rottie shepard mutt, and shana, the resedent queen bitch where i live is a golden lab sheperd mut

Slave of the lizard king

Board footer