Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2007-02-14 10:47:00

Zim28
Pilgrim
Website

Re: What are you watching?

I will be watching Lost tonight.

I was "Dan" back on Shadowmarch.

#52 2007-02-16 03:39:00

Ruby
Pilgrim
Website

Stranger than fiction.
real nice movie, dealing with the problem of an author to kill her own characters ^^

Dream on.

#53 2007-02-16 07:31:00

Ren
Pilgrim

Tonight - GHOSTRIDER!
YAY!!! Been waiting for this movie for a loooong time... my #1 Favorite Comic Book character...and the movie has a good enough cast that I won't care if they butcher the story to suit their needs. But at least they kept the original Outfit, the leather jacket with the 3-spikes on each shoulder and the chain that wraps itself around it...whee!
And the bike riding up the side of the building, classic!
*bouncy*

"Brain makes my math hurt"
- me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal"
- me

#54 2007-02-16 10:34:00

Em
Mantis

*bummed out*

I want to see that movie! *looks at overdrawn bank account and wails*

Yo, ho, yo ho. A pirate's life for me!

#55 2007-02-16 11:32:00

ianvass
Pilgrim

Heroes! Yay!

What a great show.

Redemption
The most important battles a man fights, he fights alone, in the privacy of his own heart. Redemption is claimed or lost not through swords, words, or external miracles, but by the results of these battles, sometimes too small to discern.

#56 2007-02-16 18:45:00

meriment
Pilgrim

DAYTONA.....trucks...yeah

Pomona NHRA last week, Daytona this week....I LOVE speed.  iwish i was in Fla> right now.

no, not right!?!?!

#57 2015-03-18 10:51:45

ylvs
Mantis

I revived this thread to highly recommend the series Awake to you.
Another one of those shows that got cancelled after the first season ...
I stumbled upon it because I have a major crush on the actor who plays the main character but lucky me, it's an intriguing and subtle show with a genuine new story.

It's about a cop in LA who lives in two different realities after a car accident with his wife and son.
In one reality his son is alive in the other his wife and he cannot tell which is dream and which is real.
And then the cases from the two realities begin to weirdly interwine ...

I'm watching it on Netflix, check it out if you can.

#58 2015-03-18 11:26:11

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

That sounds good, but also heartbreaking.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#59 2015-03-18 11:33:11

ylvs
Mantis

It is indeed both. And I wonder if I'll know who is alive and who is dead by the end of the season or if it is left open.

#60 2015-03-18 14:20:23

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

I saw a few episodes of that show a couple of years ago. I don't think I watched all of the season, but it was kind of interesting. I may have to check it out.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

"Where all think alike, no one thinks very much." Walter Lippmann (1889-1974)

So, I've got a blog . . . Now what? | A Stitch in Time | The Name Nook

#61 2015-03-20 17:18:29

ylvs
Mantis

Ok, I just finished watching Awake and am in tears. Never got emotionally involved in a cop show like this. Really well written and acted. It even has a decent yet ambigous ending.

#62 2015-05-04 00:42:56

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I have been completely addicted to BONES this last few weeks. I am now on season six and have been watching the show pretty much non-stop.

I cannot really explain why I am so hooked, because very often the plots are not clever, the twist can be seen from a mile and it is very, very American (and often not in a good way), but I cannot not watch it every night. The books I could have read:-)

But the characters (especially Temperance Brennan and her FBI agent partner Booth) keep me glued to the tv.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#63 2015-05-04 10:14:52

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

What makes it very, very American in a bad way?

(Just curious. I haven't seen more than part of one episode).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#64 2015-05-04 11:15:32

Olaf
Mantis
Website

It is very patriotic. Lots of episodes revolve around soldiers and honor, duty and a celebration of the man as warrior. Especially in the early seasons. In later seasons the portrayal is more balanced and soldiers and warfare are portrayed more nuanced and less black and white.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#65 2015-05-04 11:52:23

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ah, I understand. Hawaii 5-0 is the same way.

There are so many shows on US television like that. And yet, the Right Wing is constantly telling us that Hollywood is corrupt, immoral, and unpatriotic. Have they seen these shows?!

#66 2015-05-04 11:58:31

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Apparently not:-)
Or they want all the shows to be like that, which would be not great to put it mildly.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#67 2015-05-04 12:08:24

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Olaf wrote:

It is very patriotic. Lots of episodes revolve around soldiers and honor, duty and a celebration of the man as warrior. Especially in the early seasons. In later seasons the portrayal is more balanced and soldiers and warfare are portrayed more nuanced and less black and white.

I won't spoil it for you, if you decide to keep watching, but there is an interesting story arc in seasons 9-10 that ... I'll just say it's very different.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#68 2015-05-04 12:31:37

Olaf
Mantis
Website

I will continue:-)

I am now in early season 6.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#69 2015-05-05 17:03:00

Auros
Pilgrim
Website

There are too many good shows currently.

Orphan Black

Game of Thrones

Outlander

Marvel's Daredevil

Marvel's Agents of SHIELD

Grimm

Supernatural

iZombie

The Returned (a highly faithful remake of the French show Les Revenants, with better actors and production values)

Debating whether to watch the new season of Lost Girl; we have the first three eps in the TiVo, but, eh, last season was pretty bad. :-/

Plymouth kind of wants to try out the Lizzie Borden Chronicles, because Christina Ricci bein' all gothy.

I think that's everything? :-|

Thank G*d a couple of them are ending their seasons soon...

Last edited by Auros (2015-05-05 17:20:06)

Irreverent Father Auros, High Priest of the Church of Erotic Pantheism
the Aurosphere -- Me, myself, and I.
Strange Horizons -- Your weekly source for speculative fiction.
The Resistance wants YOU to defend humanity from Alien Mind Control!

#70 2015-05-27 15:11:28

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Having a bout of sinus problems so I've put reading on hold and burrowed deep into the underbelly of Netflix. Have discovered a show called "The Killing" - part crime drama, part soap opera. It's apparently based on a Scandinavian show that I haven't bothered, yet, to find out about. I'm enjoying it.

"The evil done by men of goodwill is the worst of all." Iain Pears, The Dream of Scipio

#71 2015-05-28 07:12:47

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I finished the third season of Vikings recently.

Now I start the second season of Black Sails.

#72 2015-05-30 00:06:50

Seitherin
Mantis
Website

Finished all four seasons of "The Killing". I thought the Norwegians, the Finns, and the Swedes were dark and dreary when it comes to crime dramas. They are positively cheerful compared to the Danes. By comparison, the Brits are a bowl of laughs. Just finished watching "Happy Valley". I really need to find something light and cheerful to watch. I'm not sure I can take anymore angst.

#73 2015-06-13 07:42:24

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Finished the second season of Black Sails. This series gets better and better. I can't wait to see the third season.

Haven't decided what I watch next.

Last edited by Merenwen (2015-06-13 07:47:56)

#74 2015-06-13 08:01:57

Olaf
Mantis
Website

For now I stopped my BONES marathon somewhere in season 9. It seems to me that season 8 and 9 are kind of running out of steam. While still fun, a lot of the episodes feel rather stale.

Instead I switched to a POIROT marathon and I am now in series 3.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#75 2015-07-02 01:28:10

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Stopped my POIROT marathon for now, because I have discovered the delightful Australian mystery series MISS FISHER´S MURDER MYSTERIES (based on the novels of Kerry Greenwood, which I have never encountered because there are no German translations of it).

Period mystery set in late 1920 in Melbourne. I am enjoying the heck out of it, I am almost done watching season one!

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

Board footer