Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Anything your wanting to see?

#1 2001-06-03 00:27:00

Matt Rhodes
Pilgrim
Website

Anything your wanting to see?

Hello all. I've responded to the wonderful comments I recieved in the other post, but this one is special. That's right. Extra special.
You see I would love to have some fan input on what YOU would like to see. There are more illustrations to be done, but it would be great of you guys had a say in it. Characters? Specific scenes?
Suggestions are more than welcome.

'While we live, let us live'
m.rhodes

#2 2001-06-03 00:30:00

Red643
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Anything your wanting to see?

Hello Matt,
I know this is an odd idea, but I'd like to see what an artist would see from the begining of the prologue, and how it would turn out in a drawing or a painting. The prologue, in my opinion, had a few different perspectives in it, that would make for a great piece of art. That's just my thought. :)

#3 2001-06-03 00:42:00

myrkul
Pilgrim
Website

Yes, one or two landscape-based images would be nice - either sweeping vistas, or isolated areas of note.  Something to convey your idea of what the area looks like...  Something in the twilight lands would be nifty too :)

Anyways, I really like your images, particularily "ice princess" and "mountain stream" from your site.  Your depictions of people are very nice, to my eye...  Can't wait to see how your final images for the Shadowmarch characters turn out.

Oh yeah, do you have any wallpaper sized versions of your images? Somewhere around 800x600 or higher?  I'd love to have some of your images as my background...

[ June 02, 2001: Message edited by: myrkul ]

#4 2001-06-03 05:57:00

Vildar
Pilgrim
Website

ooh...wallpaper would be nice! :-)

Would really love the scene of the death throes of the Wyvern.....and would really, really, really love it in colour!

*Vildar hopes he isn't asking too much*

I have serious respect for how you colour your pictures, they are to say the least, some of the coolest stuff, that I've seen on the web! :-)

#5 2001-06-03 06:11:00

jrdouce
Pilgrim

I don't know if the story will have sweeping battles or military campaigns, but if it does I'd love to see colorful tactical battle maps.   I'd love to have something like something you'd see in a book on the Napoleonic wars or the Hundres Years War, with topographical points, the armies' starting positions and arrows and icons depicting movement and conflicts.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.  - Anon.

#6 2001-06-03 23:21:00

rawdirt
Pilgrim
Website

Well...

how about actions, as well as things --

Wyvern writhe and strike

mist at the hoof dance

-----------
not complete animation, perhaps, but short
FLASHes like afterimages, retinal memories.

bob

#7 2001-06-03 23:22:00

Astral Wanderer
Pilgrim

Matt,

I think it would be cool to see your reconstruction of an early Shadowmarch brainstorming session (perhaps set in Tad's dining room, like the picture in the Backstage section, under the About heading), with all of the hierarchs sitting around a table, talking animatedly about their plans, notepapers everywhere, half-finished drinks, sketches, maps!, and stuff like that.  Blur the line between the fiction and its creators.

Jeff Thompson

#8 2001-06-03 23:43:00

Matt
Pilgrim
Website

Astral Wanderer wrote:

Matt,

I think it would be cool to see your reconstruction of an early Shadowmarch brainstorming session (perhaps set in Tad's dining room, like the picture in the Backstage section, under the About heading), with all of the hierarchs sitting around a table, talking animatedly about their plans, notepapers everywhere, half-finished drinks, sketches, maps!, and stuff like that.  Blur the line between the fiction and its creators.

Jeff Thompson

I think that's a beautiful suggestion, Jeff.  I'd love to see it.  (I'm also really hoping to get all my friends and family referring to me henceforth as a 'hierarch'.  Thanks for getting the ball rolling.)

"The world up and went sane and I was left to stand alone."

-- Latigo Flint

#9 2001-06-04 11:03:00

Matt Rhodes
Pilgrim
Website

Very cool suggestions so far. Keep them coming!

'While we live, let us live'
m.rhodes

#10 2001-06-04 13:43:00

Sam
Pilgrim

I'd be a hugely in favor of some landscape type stuff, jsut to give us a better idea of what the world looks like, and also maybe some sketches of rooms and whatnot where theings take place.  Like the inside of Shadowmarch Castle, for instance.  Maybe all this isn't your cup of tea, but if you felt inspired...

"When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a frisbee..." -- Stancil Johnson

#11 2001-06-04 14:53:00

Nolan
Pilgrim
Website

I'd love to see an epic-like picture of the final image in the Prologue.  The blind king holding the child up before the crowd of Shadow creatures, with the amulet around its neck.

Could be a very cool picture--book cover worthy!  :-)

Never explain--your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you anyway.

-  Elbert Hubbard (1856 - 1915)

#12 2001-06-04 15:15:00

nweigand
Pilgrim

Im definitely with Nolan on this one.  That could be such a great picture, and it seems like something that Matt could really work wonders with based on the work of his I've seen.   Also, and this has been said before, I would like to see some big pictures in color.  I have the Shadowmarch castle as my background now, but I would like to have some more choices.  Its great to see someone with this kind of talent.  I can actually suck peoples talent from them, just being in the same room.  A sort of Art-ability -blackhole.   I wont write anymore, lest I destroy Matt's abilitys over the lines.

Nicholas

-A man with one watch knows what time it is, a man with two watches is never sure.-

#13 2001-06-04 15:52:00

redNathalie
Pilgrim

I can't wait to see sketches of the blind king and silent queen.

And after seeing the colorworks on Matt's site, I'm in complete agreement about the landscape suggestion. Beautiful stuff!

Author of the 888,888th Post

Oven though we're far apart, I'm still a huge fan! ~Firsfron
There was also a toast commercial that made me tear up.... ~Libra

#14 2001-06-04 17:02:00

ahshiri
Pilgrim
Website

Hey Matt!
I'd really love to see a picture of the Shadowline. It'd be so cool with all of the fogginess, and maybe you could throw in some kind of little creatures peering out. I dunno, it just seems like a really awesome thing to draw where you could let your mind soar with endless possibilities for fantasy animals.
Buuuuuut, I'm not sure you're into the whole crazy animal thing, if you are, it'd be great to see it! (c:

"Underachievement: The Tallest Blade of Grass is the First to be Cut Off by the Lawnmower"
www.thinkgeek.com

#15 2001-06-05 04:44:00

Prophecy
Pilgrim
Website

I'd like to see a full picture of the Wyvern and how it looks with a mostly snake-like body, but on 2 legs.....I'm curious.

#16 2001-06-06 11:33:00

rawdirt
Pilgrim
Website

Maybe there's not just one Wyvern? Shadowmorph
variants?

#17 2001-06-06 15:40:00

Ed Blaylock
Pilgrim

I'd like to see more of Kendrick, personally.  We've met his younger siblings, how's about the heir apparent himself?

BTW, Matt, you're _very_ good at what you do.  Keep up the good work!

"God created teaching to test the faithful...
           ...One does not argue with God!"
                -Ed Muad'Dib, Mahdi of the Social Science department

#18 2001-06-10 12:06:00

Will
Pilgrim

Hey Matt.  Haven't been able to get a hold of you lately.  Figured this would be a sure way for you to see I still exist. 
I, too (of course), have a request.  I would like to see the riders from beyond the Shadowline, who dropped the boy-in-the-sack.  Perhaps a picture including the frightened funderlings?  That would be tops.  Peace Out.

#19 2001-06-10 20:14:00

hwei
Pilgrim
Website

I'd like to see Matt's take on any local architecture. There was a picture of an Egyptian pool or summat other that was simply amazing - simple, but with so much atmosphere.

Hwei
===============
straightly.bent . illustration and other stories

#20 2001-06-11 11:48:00

Susan Queen of the Univ
Pilgrim

Matt,
Could you please do all of the above?  I'd like to see it all, thank you. *g* No, really, you're doing a wonderful job. Thank you so much.

"I maked these."  -Gall Bladder

#21 2001-06-12 21:25:00

Astral Wanderer
Pilgrim

Artwork depicting scenes from Tad's history section would be cool.  Maybe a scene of the moment when the Qar first generate the Shadowline (a group of Qar wise men/mystics huddled in concentration with a storm-filled sky and an emerging Shadowline, with fierce wind and electricity in the air).  Something like that which fits in with how Tad envisions it.

Can't wait to see more of your new artwork, Matt, whatever scene it is.

#22 2001-06-13 03:53:00

Damon
Pilgrim
Website

I'm really looking forward to seeing Matt's representation of the Qar, but it may be a while before they appear in the story (unless they're actually there already...we just don't know about it).

Damon.co.nz: Where the homeless come to bathe
"Pardon me while I have a strange interlude."

#23 2001-06-14 12:23:00

mystique2901
Pilgrim
Website

It would be really interesting how Chert and Opal look like, just because I have got a picture of them in my mind and would like to know what you guys think of them in the way of an illustration.

-

#24 2001-06-16 04:53:00

chris
Pilgrim

Hi, I would like to see some pictures of the landscape. And maybe some buildings?
The sketches of the people are great!!

#25 2001-06-18 11:12:00

littleowl
Pilgrim
Website

I'd like to second a vote for the scene of the Qar riders dropping flint off just outside the Shadowline.

That whole scene gave me the chills, reading it, I'd love to see that on 'paper'.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge."
   -- Albert Einstein

• Index
  •  » Art
  •  » Anything your wanting to see?

Board footer