Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2001-06-22 10:56:00

Ian Johnson
Pilgrim

Quotes

I thought this would be a good place for people to stick any quotes they like. From anywhere.

I'll set the ball rolling.

(Those who object to the speaking of Anglo-Saxon is these post-Norman times are advised to read no further.)

---------------------------------------------

JAMES JOYCE
Ulysses

Will he come? The jejune jesuit.

The bard's noserag. A new colour for our Irish poets: snotgreen. You can almost taste it, can't you?

I fear those big words, Stephen said, which make us so unhappy.

History, said Stephen, is a nightmare from which I am trying to awake.

I hardly hear the purlieu cry
Or a Tommy talk as I pass one by
Before my thoughts begin to run
On F. McCurdy Atkinson,
The same that had the wooden leg
And that filibustering fillibeg
That never dared to slake his drouth,
Magee that had the chinless mouth.
Being afraid to marry on earth,
They masturbated for all they were worth.

Vulcanic lake, the dead sea: no fish, weedless, sunk deep in the earth. A dead sea in a dead land, grey and old. Old now. It bore the oldest, the first race. The oldest people. Wandered far away over all the earth, captivity to captivity, multiplying, dying, being born everywhere. It lay there now. Now it could bear no more. Dead: an old woman's: the grey sunken cunt of the world.

Come forth Lazarus! And he came fifth and lost the job.

Monsieur de la Palisse, Stephen sneered, was alive fifteen minutes before his death.

Bosh! Stephen said rudely. A man of genius makes no mistakes. His errors are volitional and are the portals to discovery.

If others have their will Ann hath a way.

Our national epic has yet to be written, Dr. Sigerson says. We are becoming important, it seems.

JAMES JOYCE
Finnegans Wake

Bygmester Finnegan, of the Stuttering Hand, freemen's maurer, lived in the broadest way immarginable in his rushlit toofarback for messuages before joshuan judges had given us numbers or Helviticus committed deuteronomy...

Of the first was he to bare arms and a name: Wassaily Booslaeugh of Riesengeborg. His crest of huroldry, in vert with ancillars, troublant, argent, a hegoak, poursuivant, horrid, horned.

Mastabatoom, mastabadtomm, when a mon merries his lute is all long. For whole the world to see.

Whase be his baken head? A loaf of Singpantry's Kennedy bread. And whase hitched to the hop in his tayle? A glass of Danu U'Dunnell's foamous olde Dobbelin ayle.

In the name of Annah the Allmaziful, the Everliving, the Bringer of Plurabilities, haloed be her eve, her singtime sung, her rill be run, unhemmed as it is uneven.

Phall if you but will, rise you must...

The Gracehoper was always jigging ajog, hoppy on akkant of his joyicity...

The last word in stolentelling!

THOMAS PYNCHON
Gravity's Rainbow

A screaming comes across the sky. It has happened before, but there is nothing to compare it to now.

It is too late.

They are in love. Fuck the war.

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Ian Johnson ]

#2 2001-06-22 10:58:00

keijukainen
Pilgrim
Website

Re: Quotes

oi, you have to say where it's fr. too! ;P

boo, i don't remember quotes too well, & most of my books are packed--hope this thread is still alive in a couple weeks.

hey happy tell me your story
hey happy give me your name
why have you been sitting there all quiet and shy
have i not been listening?
-amy martin

affinity * diffuse

#3 2001-06-22 11:46:00

Jaime
Pilgrim

The only Joyce I can remember:

"Once upon a time, and a very good time it was, a moocow came walking down along the road."

One of the original members of Dream Theater was a huuuuge Joyce fan and put all sorts of quotes and references into some of his song lyrics.  One of his solo songs is about Nora Joyce and how some guy tried to bust up their marriage...

Gimme some time and I can post a whole slew of other quotes (a bunch are on my website) from other people.

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.

-- Heinlein

#4 2001-06-22 12:20:00

Jaime
Pilgrim

Okay.  A whole pile of literary (and other) quotes that I have scattered in a notebook here.  Some of them aren't attributed.

"There is very little we could not forgive if only we knew the facts" - Graham Greene, Heart of the Matter.

"The art of our necessities is strange and makes vile things precious" - King Lear

"Try to be one of the people on whom nothing is lost." - Henry James

"Be true!  Be true!  Be true!  Show freely to the world, if not your worst, yet some trait whereby the worst may be inferred." - Nathaniel Hawthorne

"Their words have forked no lightning" - ?

"Frogs need storks" - Martin Luther

"Twas too caviary for the general... there were no sallets to make the matter savory." - Hamlet

"Mistah Kurtz - he dead." - Joseph Conrad, Heart of Darkness.

"The mark of an immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause; the mark of a mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." - ?

"To laugh is to risk appearing foolish. To weep is to risk appearing sentimental. To reach out for another is to risk involvement. To expose feelings is to risk exposing your true self. To hope is to risk despair. To try is to risk failure. To live is to risk dying. But risks must be taken because the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing. The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing and is nothing. He may avoid suffering and sorrow but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow, love, or live. Chained by his opinions, he is a slave, he has forfeited freedom. Only a person who risks is free." --Anon

"When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender to dreams - this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness.  And maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be" -- Cervantes

"When I grow up, I'm not going to read the newspaper and I'm not going to follow complex issues and I'm not going to vote. That way I can complain when the government doesn't represent me. Then, when everything goes down the tubes, I can say the system doesn't work and justify my further lack of participation." -- Calvin & Hobbes

...I'll save the song quotes.  :)

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Jaime ]

Yield to temptation; it may not pass your way again.

-- Heinlein

#5 2001-06-22 12:39:00

ElderTurtle
Pilgrim
Website

Here's one for now:

Whither should I fly? 
I have done no harm.  But I remember now
I am in this earthly world, where to do harm
Is often laudable, to go good sometime
Accounted dangerous folly.
--Macbeth

ElderTurtle (P.o.W.)

Irony: God gave the turtle a drag coefficient of 0.3

#6 2001-06-22 12:46:00

keijukainen
Pilgrim
Website

ok, i remembered one near & dear to my goddess-of-dreams, insomniac heart:

"o god, i could be bounded in a nutshell and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that i have bad dreams."

from hamlet of course.

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: keijukainen ]

-amy martin

affinity * diffuse

#7 2001-06-22 13:31:00

ElderTurtle
Pilgrim
Website

And another:

“Don’t come back till you have him!” the Tictockman said, very quietly, very sincerely, extremely dangerously.

They used dogs.  They used probes.  They used cardio-plate crossoffs.  They used teepers.  They used bribery.  They used stiktytes.  They used intimidation.  They used torment.  They used torture.  They used finks.  They used cops.  They used search&seizure.  They used fallaron.  They used betterment incentive.  They used fingerprints.  They used Bertillon.  They used cunning.  They used guile.  They used treachery.  They used Raoul Mitgong, but he didn’t help much.  They used applied physics.  They used techniques of criminology.

And what the h*!!: they caught him.

--“Repent, Harlequin!” said the Ticktock man (Harlan Ellison)

ElderTurtle (P.o.W.)

#8 2001-06-22 15:45:00

Thargor
Pilgrim
Website

I saw a good one on a church sign the other day "Resent someone and you let them live rent free in your mind". I thought that was pretty good. 
But my fav quote is from The Wastelands by T.S. Eliot

'(Come in under the shadow of this red rock),
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.'

[ June 22, 2001: Message edited by: Thargor ]

#9 2001-06-22 16:54:00

Jenna the Rose
Pilgrim
Website

* In your Communication Arts class, we have tried to temper technology with the quieter power of the written and spoken word, for technology cannot replace the imagination and the emotions evoked by books or the words created by language and its power to inspire.*
~ Communtcation Arts
Teacher (In 2001 year book)

*Believe, Understand*

#10 2001-06-22 17:02:00

Gashweir
Pilgrim

"You're in high school again, NO RECESS"

Kurt Kobain

The rudderless world is not shaped by vague metaphysical forces.  It is not God who kills children.  Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs.  It's us.  Only us.

Rorschach
The Watchmen

#11 2001-06-22 22:40:00

Sam
Pilgrim

The real hero is always a hero by mistake, he dreams of being an honest coward like everbody else.
-Umberto Eco, Travels in Hyperreality

"When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a frisbee..." -- Stancil Johnson

#12 2001-06-22 23:25:00

Elspeth
Pilgrim

One of my favorite quotes (which is actually a little story with a lesson), from the end of the movie "Patton":

For over a thousand years Roman conquerors returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph, a tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories, together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments. The conquerer rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in white, stood with him in the chariot or rode the trace horses. A slave stood behind the conqueror holding a golden crown and whispered in his ear a warning, that
All glory is fleeting.

Red Beans & Ricely Yours,
Elspeth

#13 2001-06-22 23:27:00

ElderTurtle
Pilgrim
Website

And here's a handful more (all from the same source) for this quiet evening:

If a thing may exist only because it is believed in, then I think (-- don't you?) we all should start believing in Paradise -- if only to discover whether a dream can come true.

'I am the storm,' said the sky to the man. 'But never fear, for you are the storm also.  No thunder breaks but that it is your voice as much as mine!  And what makes your sweat, your tears anything less magnificent than my brief raindrops?  What malice could declare your thin and fragile skin a frontier between your kingdom and mine?  We are one.  I am the storm, and so are you!  We are magnificent!'

If the Sun has a voice loud enough to wake the snails that sleep all Winter in the wall, a voice sweet enough to charm the cherry-tree into blossom -- a voice so bright it even leaves a poet lost for words -- then perhaps that other light, whose mirror he is, that other voice, whose echo he is, may even wake the dead!

--Hallelujah Anyway (Patrick Woodroffe)

ElderTurtle (P.o.W.)

#14 2001-06-22 23:58:00

ElderTurtle
Pilgrim
Website

Here's one last quote (must ... resist ... urge ... to post entire poem!) before I retire to bed:

Tho' much is taken, much abides; and tho'
We are not now that strength which in old days
Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are, --
One equal temper of heroic hearts,
Made weak by time and fate, but strong in will
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.

--Ulysses (Tennyson)

ElderTurtle (P.o.W.)

Goodnight, and God Bless.

#15 2001-06-23 03:49:00

hwei
Pilgrim
Website

"My hovercraft is full of eels. My hovercraft... (imitates puffing a cigarette) is... full... of... EELS... (imitates striking a match)."

"My nipples explode with delight!"

John Cleese as a Hungarian tourist trying to buy cigarettes from a confused English tobacconist, in Monty Python's Flying Circus.

Hwei
===============
straightly.bent . illustration and other stories

#16 2001-06-23 06:15:00

shadowsandice
Pilgrim
Website

Hell is empty.  All the devils are here. - ?

WIIIIIIIIIICKEEEEEEEEEED!!!!!!!! - Oh...I ferget...hehehe

silence-without - Bringing you the views of Tessadom
Wild and Free! Like a BADGER!!!  ::  Fight Club for BB posters

#17 2001-06-23 21:11:00

wiked
Pilgrim
Website

ferdnand dives from the sghip as ariel flits through the air

Slave of the lizard king

Master of the esoteric arts

He's exciting in a "here come the Magyrs" kinda way
http://dies-ira.tumblr.com

#18 2001-06-24 01:44:00

Joy
Pilgrim

"Lying is fiction, fiction is art, and therefore all art is a lie."

Stephen King, Desperation

(not that I actually feel that way)

"I was who I am, but I'm not who I used to be"
Anon

"Control you're destiny, but lay your trust in fate.  Allow yourslf to be wrong.  Allow yourself to be right.  Allow yourself to BE."
Anon.

"Don't just go...Go crazy!"

"Forget bald...Crazy is beautiful!!"

Those last two are from my sister when we were in, like, 7th grade, and were up too late.

Cora

"How infinite was love, twining in and out of hope and memory like a braid with three strong strands, so much the Bright Tower of every human's life and soul."
Stephen King, Wizard And Glass

God is an Iron

#19 2001-06-24 01:48:00

Joy
Pilgrim

*Bangs head against wall trying to remember all the bloody Heinlein quotes she had committed to memory until she tried to recall them*

*Fails*

*More head injury*

Ow.

"How infinite was love, twining in and out of hope and memory like a braid with three strong strands, so much the Bright Tower of every human's life and soul."

God is an Iron

#20 2001-06-24 11:28:00

johan
Pilgrim

One of my personal (recent) favorites:

"'Abandon hope, all ye who enter here.' This, my lord, is what comes of letting poets tour hell."

- Cupid, on Milton (The Books of Magic)

The first rule of dragons: GROW - Or die and fertilize something that will.

#21 2001-06-24 13:11:00

keijukainen
Pilgrim
Website

*giggle* isn't it "all hope abandon"? i wouldn't know, myself, but in pamela dean's tam lin (my fave book!) the main character is a lit major w/a penchant for dropping quotes everywhere. & there's one part where she's looking @ some graffiti which says "abandon all hope" & the text is something like, "it always irritated janet. 'all hope abandon,' she muttered under her breath." something like that, anyway. so i was wondering, b/c i certainly wouldn't've even thought about it had i not read that book.

-amy martin

affinity * diffuse

#22 2001-06-24 13:20:00

Jenna the Rose
Pilgrim
Website

"The Memory Is A Powerful Thing Which Can Sometimes Be More Vivid And Memorable Than Reality."
I got this off of some website. I cant remember which one...

*Believe, Understand*

#23 2001-06-24 14:21:00

Ian Johnson
Pilgrim

"Abandon hope..." Surely that's Dante's Inferno?

#24 2001-06-24 16:08:00

Tristan Lindsay
Pilgrim

... some of my collection. The Oscar Wilde one is my favorite.

"Si tacuisses, philosophus manisses."
If you had kept quiet, you would have remained a philosopher.
-Boethius, De consolatione philosophiae

"It is impossible as I state it, and therefore I must in some respect have stated it wrong." -Sherlock Holmes

"Everything you can imagine is real." -Picasso

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

"It had been startling and disappointing to me to find out that story books had been written by people, that books were not natural wonders, coming up of themselves like grass." - Eudora Welty

"I have long ceased to invent... I wait until I seem to know what really happened." - J.R.R. Tolkien

"We're all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde

"Those who do not want to imitate anything, produce nothing." - Salvador Dali

"Sometimes you can always never win." - David Letterman

"We are what we pretend to be" - Kurt Vonnegut

-Tristan

[ June 24, 2001: Message edited by: Tristan Lindsay ]

"Everything you can imagine is real." - Picasso

"I have an excellent idea, let's change the subject." -Mad Hatter (Disney Version)

#25 2001-06-24 16:39:00

Joy
Pilgrim

Ian,

Yes it is from Dante, but the complete quote is from a comic book series my husband loves, called "The Books of Magic". 

Cora

God is an Iron

Board footer