Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-11-22 07:30:53

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Re: QM - The (not so) stuffed turkey

I've taken today off.... I'm so incredibly tired that even facing getting in my car to drive is to much...

So I sit and stare into empty space a lot today...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#52 2017-11-22 07:42:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Oh Firs, I sooo understand that whole thing, the constant worry about money, about work, about everything....  The being stuck in a job, even if you do like the people and the work, but the company changing and it being shut and wanting something else.... The wanting time and money to spend on seeing people.... Feeling guilty if you buy something for yourself or a trip because you know it will come back to haunt you later....

Yes, I knew you'd understand, Libra.

To be honest, things have become quite difficult for me at wurk in recent months. In September, I had to file a hostile work environment complaint. Two employees and two students, working together, had gone into my Google Drive folder and uploaded trollface icons on top of student artwork, and also removed my access to dozens of files, including the work of other students. They also replaced dozens of images with 1-pixel images, and removed almost four years of meeting minutes, receipts, PDFs, spreadsheets, and other files. Luckily, I had backed up everything on another drive, but it was quite a shock to see the vandalism, done in mockery of me.

I'm keeping my head up, but it hasn't been easy. And these four will just never stop.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#53 2017-11-22 07:44:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kia wrote:

I'm sure all your hard work will pay out, Firs *huggles*

Thanks, Kia! *huggles back*

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#54 2017-11-22 09:29:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I do not like my brain today.
I keep getting anxious about all the things I still need to do before January, and the anxiety gets in the way of actually doing anything, because it tends to blow little tasks up into Huge Complicated Impossible To Solve Problems.
And then I made the mistake of thinking about my father and my decision not to talk to him any more, and it's been five months, but it turns out I'm still so hurt and mad at him that I nearly started crying again on the train home.

But. Looking at positive things: it was sunny today, it was decently warm at work (we are approaching normal room temperature!), we had a meeting with the lawyer to discuss our lease contract for next year, and cleared up all the things we didn't understand, and I noticed an issue with one of our orders of plug plants for next spring, and made a phone call and fixed it (we would have gotten way too many plants otherwise, and would not have had space for them.)

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#55 2017-11-22 10:00:39

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Firs, that is terrible! Don't those guys get punished? This is far beyond mockery. I am sorry you have to go through this.

#56 2017-11-22 10:03:38

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Oh Firs, I sooo understand that whole thing, the constant worry about money, about work, about everything....  The being stuck in a job, even if you do like the people and the work, but the company changing and it being shut and wanting something else.... The wanting time and money to spend on seeing people.... Feeling guilty if you buy something for yourself or a trip because you know it will come back to haunt you later....

To be honest, things have become quite difficult for me at wurk in recent months. In September, I had to file a hostile work environment complaint. Two employees and two students, working together, had gone into my Google Drive folder and uploaded trollface icons on top of student artwork, and also removed my access to dozens of files, including the work of other students. They also replaced dozens of images with 1-pixel images, and removed almost four years of meeting minutes, receipts, PDFs, spreadsheets, and other files. Luckily, I had backed up everything on another drive, but it was quite a shock to see the vandalism, done in mockery of me.

I'm keeping my head up, but it hasn't been easy. And these four will just never stop.

Yeesh, that is just awful! I'm so sorry you have to deal with that, Firs!

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#57 2017-11-22 10:34:47

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*sets up a particularly pretty empty space for Libra to stare at*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#58 2017-11-22 10:36:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sorry you had to deal with that, Firsfron. I'm glad you had a backup :/ .

*hugs Magpie and her silly brain*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#59 2017-11-22 11:41:00

Sahi
Mantis
Website

*builds a blanket fort for firs* That is truly aweful! I hope they do something about them!

In other news, the meeting at work went well. It was a relatively pleasant atmosphere, and I now know what is requested of me next time (though that is unlikely).

And yes, firs, there is definitely a place to stay here, near Amsterdam (30 minutes by train, though we'd have to get you to the station first). Unless your stay coincides with me not being there, but I'm sure we can coordinate that. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#60 2017-11-22 12:21:54

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

That is truly horrible…

I have had my share of work troubles in the last couple of years, but now I am glad I am working in an envirement where such behavior is not tolerated, but still I worry about money too. A lot.

I am a natural worrier too, so I understand where you are coming from.

Don´t let them get to you.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#61 2017-11-22 12:34:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Even I manage to worry about money and I have all the safety anybody could ask for...

Guess we are Natural Born Worriers...
Which are like warriors, just harder to pronounce.

#62 2017-11-22 12:50:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

My thoughts are stuck in an endless loop of "I need to buy a car, but I don't know how to buy a car".

Also one of LG's friends found a rather cheap Fiat Ducato that he recommended to me, but as far as I can tell, those are quite a bit bigger than my boss's car, and since I have trouble getting even a normal-sized car into my parking spot, and there is nowhere else to park on this stupid street, I don't think that would be such a good idea.

- Tad

#63 2017-11-22 13:04:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I suspect the smaller transporters like the Caddy might not have enough height to transport all of those plants. Those would be a lot easier to maneuver around traffic.

#64 2017-11-22 13:08:54

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I have been so productive tonight! I wrote and sent an important email, printed a book wishlist for tomorrow, put my book coupon in my bag, did two loads of laundry, and calculated my study debt (to my employer). The latter was not as big as I feared (as I have been very low key with conferences in the last year). Hurray!

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#65 2017-11-22 13:09:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Might you be able to trade for a nicer parking spot? Parking a 2x5m class car would be rather annoying there...

#66 2017-11-22 13:14:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I suspect the smaller transporters like the Caddy might not have enough height to transport all of those plants. Those would be a lot easier to maneuver around traffic.

The other option would be to tell people with really big plants to overwinter that they have to figure out transport themselves (if I buy a smaller car), because to be honest those are not fun to transport at all, and I would not be sorry about not having to do it.
Or to borrow/rent a trailer for a few days (but then driving a car with a trailer also seems daunting, and I'm not sure I want to do that.)

- Tad

#67 2017-11-22 13:16:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Might you be able to trade for a nicer parking spot? Parking a 2x5m class car would be rather annoying there...

That's also a thing I keep thinking about, but a.) that would require talking to people, and b.) if I had one of the easier-to-get-into parking sports, I would not be willing to trade, so why would anyone else.

It's stupid. If it's in a strict work-context, talking to people is easy enough (like today, when I had to call and say, "hey, I noticed that we're supposed to get 390 of these plants instead of 255, that is way too much"), but anything outside of that is still so hard.

- Tad

#68 2017-11-22 14:00:00

Mantis

*hugs Firs*

I'm so sorry that that happened to you, people like that are detestable... I hope your studies will progress well and you'll be able to find something that will really make you happy...

*smites those four "insert word that cannot be uttered aloud"*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#69 2017-11-22 14:01:39

Mantis

Peter wrote:

*sets up a particularly pretty empty space for Libra to stare at*

*stares contentedly*

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#70 2017-11-22 14:06:10

Mantis

Still really tired... But I really cannot stay home another day tomorrow however much I would want it...

Just want to sit on my couch all day and read or play games or just not have to go and be stressed and irritated and annoyed....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#71 2017-11-22 14:16:12

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hugs Libra*

I really, really hope you can figure something else out, because this work thing seems to have turned sour in the last year.

#72 2017-11-22 14:18:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Tenants might not be willing to trade, but maybe new spots are freed occasionally and you can get on a list with your landlord, so they'll inform you when a better spot is available?

#73 2017-11-22 14:20:49

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Tenants might not be willing to trade, but maybe new spots are freed occasionally and you can get on a list with your landlord, so they'll inform you when a better spot is available?

I don't have a lot of hope for that. And even if it would happen at some point, what would I do in the meantime? Parking a ten-minute walk away is not very convenient if there is a storm or something and I quickly need to get to work and close everything up...

- Tad

#74 2017-11-22 14:48:21

Mantis

Peter wrote:

*hugs Libra*

I really, really hope you can figure something else out, because this work thing seems to have turned sour in the last year.

I really want to, but when you're struggling already, it's so hard to think about something else.... And I really really don't want another office job.... I'm done with desk work....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#75 2017-11-22 15:57:56

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I think the first step is to figure out how much space your boss uses on most trips. If he fully loads the car most of the time, you might not get away with something smaller. If it's half empty a lot of the time and you can just do two trips a couple times a year, a Caddy might do the trick (it's a little more than half the volume, though probably ~2/3 the area and you usually won't max out the height).

A Caddy is 4,5m long and ~1,8m wide vs 5m x 1,9m for the standard Transporter (there is a long 5,5m Transporter and a 4,9m Caddy Maxi as well). Height is also lower for the Caddy and it should be noticably cheaper.

Are you fine with the standard 2 seats? Do you want it with windows all around and the option to use it as a normal car? Those are usually more expensive and may not give you some tax benefits (no idea how that works for your business).

Btw, I am using the VW models because I know them better, but many other manufacturers sell similar cars.

Board footer