Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#526 2017-12-07 07:05:28

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The (not so) stuffed turkey

Replacing the greenhouse roof went fine, and was done by lunchtime. Except as soon as the workers had left, we discovered that one of the side vents did no longer open (and it had worked fine  just an hour or so before). Since LG was there (he had helped us with the greenhouse roof), we had him have a look at it, and he determined that the switch must have broken. So now we have to see if we can find one to replace it. The only ones that we saw online only have three positions, and we need four (open, close, automatic and stop) to make the side vent do all the things we want.

But LG and I had to leave then. Because the car dealer near my place did not have a Dacia Dokker to test-drive, he asked around at nearby branches of the same company, and found one at the one in Linz.

And when we got there, we discovered that the guy there he had talked to, was one of my fellow Town Gardens Apprentices! I had wondered briefly, when I heard the name, but then thought "no, that would be too big of a coincidence." No, clearly it was not too big!

Anyway. Driving the Dokker went okay-ish. The biggest problem was my "oh my god I am in a car, and I don't remember how to drive, and I have to drive through Linz to get to my place so I can see if I can get into my parking spot (to which the answer is yes), and I don't know the way and there are too many other cars and traffic lights and things."

And then afterwards LG made me drive his car back to his place, so I would get some comparison, and urgh. I don't like his car. First of all I have to stretch to reach the clutch, and then the sun was in my face, and I folded down the sun visor and discovered I have to sit so far forward to reach the clutch at all, that the sun visor smacks me on the forehead.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#527 2017-12-07 07:48:37

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You should definitely watch out for lots of adjustments (seat height, steering column height and length). Most of them are standard in cars now, even something like a Polo, but it's not guaranteed in work vehicles and definitely not in an entry spec Dacia (there's basically no way the entry spec will be enough).

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#528 2017-12-07 08:23:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Other cars of this type:

Dacia Dokker
Ford Tourneo Connect
VW Caddy
Fiat Doblo
Opel Combo
Nissan NV200 (there is a cool doublecab version, where it seems to be pretty easy to fold the seats and move the integrated grid forward)
Mercedes Citan
Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner (same car)
Renault Kangoo

Toyota Proace is more like a VW Transporter, but is available in a shorter 4,6m version.

That's what I found with a bit of searching. Most of those cars are available in several different lengths, sometimes even different heights, with 2 seats and windows only in the front, 5 seats, sometimes seven seats and are in general very, very flexible.

If you want to buy one used, looking at the Caddy is probably a good idea, because it's certainly the most common.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#529 2017-12-07 08:30:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

If you are talking to the car dealers, how you can switch from transport mode with the rear seats folded / moved forward / removed to car mode and back and how this works with a grid (Trenngitter / Trennwand) that seperates you from the load is interesting. Hard to find out how this works on the internet.

#530 2017-12-07 08:33:40

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Do you have a good idea how much weight you will put in at most? Cars of that kind only load ~400-600kg and there are some differences there. If you frequently load it up, the base engines might be a little unhappy, depending on the car.

#531 2017-12-07 08:42:22

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Some of the cars are available with higher roofs (~2.1 instead of 1.8m), which gives you more room for high plants, but I can tell you from experience that it is very, very hard to remove snow in that case. You may have some trouble with the normal 1.8m already. Could also be trouble with some garages.

#532 2017-12-07 13:07:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Other cars of this type:

Dacia Dokker
Ford Tourneo Connect
VW Caddy
Fiat Doblo
Opel Combo
Nissan NV200 (there is a cool doublecab version, where it seems to be pretty easy to fold the seats and move the integrated grid forward)
Mercedes Citan
Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner (same car)
Renault Kangoo

Toyota Proace is more like a VW Transporter, but is available in a shorter 4,6m version.

That's what I found with a bit of searching. Most of those cars are available in several different lengths, sometimes even different heights, with 2 seats and windows only in the front, 5 seats, sometimes seven seats and are in general very, very flexible.

If you want to buy one used, looking at the Caddy is probably a good idea, because it's certainly the most common.

We actually tried the Ford earlier, after I made my last post.
It was pleasant to drive, a bit more so than the Dacia, but I'm not very happy with the size. I drove the longer version, which felt like it would be too difficult to get into my parking spot (we did not drive back to my place, because there was a lot of traffic and I was very tired), and we looked at the shorter version that they had just gotten in, but LG and I think the Dacia has more space.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#533 2017-12-07 14:38:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sounds like you are making progress and the more you look at those cars, the more you'll figure out what details to look for.

Did you take a look at how to handle the conversion from cargo to passenger transport on the Ford and Dacia and how to install and adjust the Trennwand (yeah, I really can't figure out the english word for that)? You may have to do that a fair bit and unless you use 100% capacity, how easy it is to fold the seats and move the grid thing, might make a big difference in day to day life.

#534 2017-12-07 17:39:41

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Some of the cars are available with higher roofs (~2.1 instead of 1.8m), which gives you more room for high plants, but I can tell you from experience that it is very, very hard to remove snow in that case. You may have some trouble with the normal 1.8m already. Could also be trouble with some garages.

This reminded me that my coworker made fun of me, inadvertently, because of my height. Yesterday we had a bit of snow, and I had to clean my car off. I always try to get the roof, because I hate when it either blows off and re-covers the back windshield, or when it sits up there long enough to become a sheet of ice. Well... I had a bit of trouble reaching the very center. I would start on one side, clear it off, go to the other, and while cleaning that side, would end up pushing the snow in the center more toward the other side than off the back. So he made some comment about how my car had a mohawk this morning, and did I do that on purpose? And it was only after someone else pointed out that it was possibly because I was too short that he realized how it came out. I thought it was funny, though. I know I'm short, I've learned to embrace it.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#535 2017-12-08 00:01:59

Sahi
Mantis
Website

It's especially funny because he had not in fact made that link. :)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#536 2017-12-08 02:17:17

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Poor Ad1tu, the Mazda being just a bit wider than the Mini isn't helpful in that case :D .
With a 1,90 wide and 1,80 high SUV, I definitely run out of arm myself and have to open the doors and climb up to finish the job...

Unless your rules are different, you actually have to clean off the roof because it could be dangerous to cars behind you in traffic.

#537 2017-12-08 02:22:37

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Sounds like you are making progress and the more you look at those cars, the more you'll figure out what details to look for.

Did you take a look at how to handle the conversion from cargo to passenger transport on the Ford and Dacia and how to install and adjust the Trennwand (yeah, I really can't figure out the english word for that)? You may have to do that a fair bit and unless you use 100% capacity, how easy it is to fold the seats and move the grid thing, might make a big difference in day to day life.

They did show us how to fold up the seats (the only one where you can take them out entirely is in the shorter Ford), but I did not think to ask about a Trennwand. (I'm also too lazy to look for an Englishword, I just got up.)

- Tad

#538 2017-12-08 02:36:31

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Do the seats fold forward so you get a large space on the floor with the rear seats bunched up behind the front seats? Not being able to take them out seems quite disappointing. But if you still get enough space, that's not an issue.

Just to be sure, was the short Ford a short version of the Transit/Tourneo Connect or the smaller Courier (only available in one size and much smaller than the Dokker and Connect)?

#539 2017-12-08 03:07:13

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Do the seats fold forward so you get a large space on the floor with the rear seats bunched up behind the front seats? Not being able to take them out seems quite disappointing. But if you still get enough space, that's not an issue.

Just to be sure, was the short Ford a short version of the Transit/Tourneo Connect or the smaller Courier (only available in one size and much smaller than the Dokker and Connect)?

Had to look at the stuff he printed out for us, because I was so tired that it's hard to remember anything, and yes, it was the Courier.

As for the seats, in the Dokker and the Courier, they fold forwards, and in the Connect, they fold down, so you don't get a flat surface to put stuff on, which is also not ideal.

- Tad

#540 2017-12-08 03:14:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yeah, that seems less than ideal for that type of car. The Connect is definitely available in roughly the same size as the Dokker, but seats that are in the way are stupid. Well, a dozen models to choose from! And the Courier is almost definitely too small.

#541 2017-12-08 03:49:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I am once again in an on/off relationship with my internet. Maybe it's me, but it seems to switch from love to hate on a second by second basis. TV is no better.

#542 2017-12-08 04:43:22

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*walks in*

Who the hell ordered snow for today? Nobody wants that!

#543 2017-12-08 05:21:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Must have been an early delivery, meant for Christmas?

#544 2017-12-08 07:20:08

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I am once again in an on/off relationship with my internet. Maybe it's me, but it seems to switch from love to hate on a second by second basis. TV is no better.

Ugh! That's no fun! Hopefully, you can patch things up, and reestablish your connection.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#545 2017-12-08 07:21:16

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I called my ISP for counceling. Let's see what they come up with. I am not particularly hopeful, as the problem is intermittent and thus very hard to diagnose and fix.

#546 2017-12-08 07:38:16

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

Unless your rules are different, you actually have to clean off the roof because it could be dangerous to cars behind you in traffic.

Well, what are rules and what are enforced rules are two totally different things...

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#547 2017-12-08 07:40:08

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Magpie wrote:

Peter wrote:

They did show us how to fold up the seats (the only one where you can take them out entirely is in the shorter Ford), but I did not think to ask about a Trennwand. (I'm also too lazy to look for an Englishword, I just got up.)

The internet says...

Trennwand {f}
partition [structure]
divider
screen [shield against observation]
dash panel
dividing wall
partition wall
separating wall
barrier [separating wall]

So... a divider between the cab where you sit and the back with the cargo?

Tamishu's Ramblings

#548 2017-12-08 08:03:03

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yep, that sounds right. So divider net or divider wall?

#549 2017-12-08 09:46:59

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

*walks in*

Who the hell ordered snow for today? Nobody wants that!

Excuse me, I would have preferred snow to the rain we got. (LG and I went to a Christmas market in Gmunden, which would have been pretty if it had not been so wet. And despite the weather, it was still too crowded for my tastes.

- Tad

#550 2017-12-08 10:15:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I think car dealers must have a secret pact that all of them must have terribly designed websites.

- Tad

Board footer