Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#501 2017-12-06 03:42:22

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Re: QM - The (not so) stuffed turkey

Spent the morning writing documentation, and am now out of useful things to do again. So I'll go work on our configuration tool again.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#502 2017-12-06 04:15:54

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I have someone coming in for a job interview in two hours. Help!

I mean, I should expect that to happen if I place a job ad, but I also have no clue what to ask this guy.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#503 2017-12-06 04:38:27

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You'll figure it out! I guess previous experience, plant knowledge, other jobs? Otherwise, mostly get a feel for the person?

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#504 2017-12-06 04:39:35

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Ad1tu, that sounds like quite the day, even more so for your husband...

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#505 2017-12-06 05:23:04

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Well you've seen some interns coming and going over the years, so I'm sure you have some ideas of the things you do and don't want. The easy questions are to ask about education and experience. The harder questions are about what they might do in situations that might potentially rub you the wrong way. Another nice question I once heard is asking them about their passion, which might be totally unrelated to work, but gives you a bit of an idea about what makes a person tick.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#506 2017-12-06 06:40:43

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ugh, they've just assigned me the kind of issue that I hate the most: setting up some infrastructure stuff. I had almost hoped that there was something else to keep me busy for a few hours so my colleague can pick that up. (As he most likely likes that sort of stuff.)

Scrollbearer

#507 2017-12-06 07:49:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Magpie wrote:

I have someone coming in for a job interview in two hours. Help!

I mean, I should expect that to happen if I place a job ad, but I also have no clue what to ask this guy.

"On a scale of one to ten, how much do you like potting soil?"

"Have you read The Dragonbone Chair? No? Well, you will be..."

"How well do you deal with unpleasant customers? Do you believe in the statement, "The customer is king"? (It's a trick question: if he says yes, he doesn't get the job).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#508 2017-12-06 07:54:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

Thank you! There was indeed Lego and a game and a book, and chocolate and speculaas. No plants, though. :) (Most of it I already got this weekend, but I gave Ivo another box of Lego yesterday. He didn't have any gift for me, but none was required or expected. And he will let me share his Lego.)

*Googles speculaas*

Ooh, that sounds like a very nice day, indeed!

I'm a bit jealous you guys get more than one Christmas!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#509 2017-12-06 12:23:07

Magpie
Mantis
Website

What a day.

The morning was normal. Or mostly so. I did have to go to the bank because they nneeded more stuff signed, and this one guy called about the job.

Then I sat down to eat lunch, but a few bites in I saw the truck with the heating oil had arrived, so I went outside.
When the tanks had been filled, I went back to my lunch, but soon had to get up again to help a customer.

When I had finally finished my food, I tried to call the other person who applied, and left a message, oh yeah and somewhere in between were phone calls with car dealers and the decision to take tomorrow afternoon off.

Then the phone rang. "Hello, this is [greenhouse repair company, we will arrive in half an hour."
Uh. We've been trying to get them to come since August, since one of the roofs needs to be replaced, and have called several times, but we were not informed that they would be coming this week.

Called the boss on his lunch break, who came in and called the company.

In the meantime, the guy applying for the job came  (which went okay-ish, but I'll let him know once I see who else applies, and then as soon as he left, the greenhouse repair company arrived  (and we were lucky they didn't come at the same time. )

It was too cold and windy to start the repairs, so we're hoping the weather will  be better tomorrow, and the repairmen told me and Herr Journeyman gruesome stories of accidents that happened because of wind while the boss went hunting for hotel rooms for them.

Then they went to their hotel, leaving their trailer full of equipment behind, and of course then another truck had to arrive to pick up the skip of compost. Which was, of course, behind the trailer.

Then, after having no customers for hours, I  suddenly had four at once, and of course that was when the other applicant called back too.

And then a  bunch of other phone  calls too, and one task piled on another and then I got home and discovered that I must have left my laptop charger at work  (and I didn't even have time for any of the things I brought it to work for). So I wrote this entire thing on my phone because my laptop battery is crap. I just hope it lasts long enough to print a few things.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#510 2017-12-06 12:34:53

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

What a day indeed. Seems you made it though, Magpie!

#511 2017-12-06 12:41:05

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Yikes, sounds like you could use a good deep breath of air!

Scrollbearer

#512 2017-12-06 12:50:20

Merenwen
Pilgrim

After such a day, I hope you can get a well-deserved rest now, Magpie.

#513 2017-12-06 13:41:01

Magpie
Mantis
Website

The evening has been nice enough, although it would have been nicer if I had my laptop charger.

I just hope I really left it at work and didn't drop it on the train or something.  I don't know how that would have happened, but then I also don't know how I would have left it at work, because I distinctly remember looking at it and thinking about where in my bag to put it.

- Tad

#514 2017-12-06 19:26:43

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

*facepalm*

I am so over the holidays. I'm going in to work tomorrow and hugging all my coworkers and thanking them for not being crazy.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#515 2017-12-06 19:28:21

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

On the plus side!!! My husband is super awesome and got me an electric kettle for Christmas :) He's really bad at waiting to give and get presents, part of the reason his is still at work. lol So now I can have perfect temperature water for all my different kinds of tea. Or if he decides to French Press coffee.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#516 2017-12-06 23:11:08

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Cross your fingers that we can do the greenhouse repairs today, and that I can leave early enough to look at cars.

- Tad

#517 2017-12-06 23:57:40

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Ok, weather looks good, laptop charger is here, and it seems we are starting the repairs earlier than planned, so things are looking up.

- Tad

#518 2017-12-07 00:23:26

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Wooyeah!

Scrollbearer

#519 2017-12-07 02:09:00

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sounds great, Magpie!
*crosses fingers anyway*

#520 2017-12-07 03:15:17

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I am bored to death today.

#521 2017-12-07 03:49:06

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

They sure know how to space out work at your job...

#522 2017-12-07 03:59:29

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Yeah, that is because a lot of stuff has to go live on certain days only and we can't risk to prepare the sites too early. So we have to wait and then we will have all at once again. Apart from that, one of our students is here today and wants to be kept busy as well.

#523 2017-12-07 04:01:54

Merenwen
Pilgrim

At least it is almost time for lunch break.

#524 2017-12-07 06:15:24

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Woohoo! I've just finished that nasty infrastructure issue. Which of course means that I've once again run out of work... But oh well, this (work) week has only two hours left...

Scrollbearer

#525 2017-12-07 06:18:46

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Yay to short work weeks!

Board footer