Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#476 2017-12-05 01:47:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The (not so) stuffed turkey

Sahi wrote:

So, I'm too tired to find out what GG means. Care to enlighten me? (At a guess, I'd go for Good Gaming.)

Very close!

It's "good game" and is traditionally said by the loser of a match before he concedes (it is customary to give up once you see no chance to win and not wait until every last building has been destroyed).
The winner acknowledges that with a GG of his own. Not saying GG is considered bad manners (BM) and fairly rare in professional games.

GL HF (Good Luck, Have Fun) at the start of a game is another part of that tradition, but not part of all formats.

It has been standard in Starcraft and all later Blizzard RTS games and is common in DotA as well (since the Original DotA was a Warcraft 3 custom map). I do not know how common it is in other games.

TL;DR: It basically means "I lost" :D

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#477 2017-12-05 01:48:49

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

It's always the classpath.

(traditional japanese developer saying)

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#478 2017-12-05 02:27:54

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I did not know that, either. Thanks for enlightening us, Peter!

The only phrase I always hear is "Git Gud". :D

#479 2017-12-05 02:35:18

Merenwen
Pilgrim

I arrived an hour later at work than usual because of a doctor's appointment, which means I can work longer today, too. Still not entirely convinced, although the doctor was nice and explained all the possible risks to me, but I have time until the end of January to overthink if I really want to have this cosmetic mini-surgery or not, and if I want the laser or the scalpel.

#480 2017-12-05 03:35:34

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

The only phrase I always hear is "Git Gud". :D

I wonder if the initials were deliberately chosen to be GG?
It certainly sounds like a very "Dark Souls" thing to say :D

Starcraft is probably the biggest influence on multiplayer game development alongside Quake, since it spawned professional gaming in its current form (starting in Korea). The current #1 multiplayer genre, MOBAs, was an evolution / spin off from Warcraft III, the successor to Starcraft.

Starcraft itself isn't that popular anymore, but a lot of the etiquette and terms (such as theorycrafting) have escaped into other games.

#481 2017-12-05 03:38:01

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

I have already had a doctors appointment as well, early in the day and before breakfast, since I had to have a blood sample taken for a routine check-up. I did go to bed early enough (I did indeed avoid that nap yesterday, by re-watching the mindless but fun Pacific Rim (even better the second time round, since I knew to ignore the physics)), but it did not help much. Still super tired. In fact my body isn't really working and I might have to nap already...

#482 2017-12-05 05:17:42

Sahi
Mantis
Website

I'm guessing Japanese should have been JaVanese? :)

In this case I had actually pointed my server to the wrong project. Same version server, but wrong location. :) (We have a habit of spinning up a new server instance for each project.)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#483 2017-12-05 07:33:01

Sahi
Mantis
Website

It's a good thing this day had some meetings, I still didn't have a whole lot to do.

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#484 2017-12-05 07:51:22

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

I wonder if the initials were deliberately chosen to be GG?
It certainly sounds like a very "Dark Souls" thing to say :D

Haha, yes, that is the main thing you read when somebody looks for tips on certain areas or bosses. Or when you lose in PVP battles. :D

There is a community call at the moment that wants the players to go back to Demon's Souls, the very first installment of the series for PS3, and replay it together for one last time because they plan to shut down the servers next year. You can still play offline of course, but since I haven't played that game so far, I think I will do it

I have already had a doctors appointment as well, early in the day and before breakfast, since I had to have a blood sample taken for a routine check-up. I did go to bed early enough (I did indeed avoid that nap yesterday, by re-watching the mindless but fun Pacific Rim (even better the second time round, since I knew to ignore the physics)), but it did not help much. Still super tired. In fact my body isn't really working and I might have to nap already...

I hope you could have a nap and you are feeling better by now. I am tired as well, but I don't have the freedom to go for a nap here at work, unfortunately. Pacific Rim is cool, I like the movie. I mean, mechas and monsters and explosions? Count me in! :D

#485 2017-12-05 07:54:58

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

UGH December. This is a stupid month. This is the month I inevitably get hit with "this needs to happen right now!!!!!" because, you know, the end of the year really sneaks up on you. *sarcastic eyeroll*

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#486 2017-12-05 09:46:04

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

I hope you could have a nap and you are feeling better by now. I am tired as well, but I don't have the freedom to go for a nap here at work, unfortunately. Pacific Rim is cool, I like the movie. I mean, mechas and monsters and explosions? Count me in! :D

Yep, I napped. Or slept, really.

And the first time I watched Pacific Rim, I liked the overall feel and the kick ass japanese woman, but I took some offense with the stupidity in some of the fights. I mean there's no way to make this realistic, but if you have an insanely heavy mech with a heavily armored fist, but do more damage when you grap a soft little container in your fists, something's pretty wrong :p . They also keep their best weapons for the end of the fight, which makes zero sense as well. The later fights are a bit better that way.

#487 2017-12-05 09:46:48

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

But it does, Ad1tu! I mean in less than 3 weeks it will be Christmas and I'll be totally shocked by that! How would I know?

#488 2017-12-05 10:38:33

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Car-shopping is complicated and frustrated and the next person to say "you should have started earlier" will get something thrown at them.
I know, I know, but it scares me and I put off things that scare me, which is a perfectly natural thing to do, I just heard that on the radio today.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#489 2017-12-05 10:56:18

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*throws matchbox cars at Magpie*
*cackles*

#490 2017-12-05 11:13:20

Magpie
Mantis
Website

*tries to fold herself up small enough to fit inside a matchbox car*

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough

#491 2017-12-05 11:21:42

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

You'll figure it out, Magpie. When do you have time to go to the dealer? They don't have great opening hours, as you've noticed by now...

#492 2017-12-05 12:23:36

Magpie
Mantis
Website

We went today, and talked a bit, but none of the cars we wanted to try out was available.

As I think I mentioned, my boss's wife recommended the Dacia Dokker, and my boss also thinks she should have gone with that, so we wanted to try out that, and the Renault Kangoo for comparison, but no luck with either. Might be able to try the Dokker at a nearby branch of the dealer, but I'll hear back about that tomorrow. At least I was able to sit in it at least, and make sure I can move the seat far enough forward to reach the pedals.

- Tad

#493 2017-12-05 17:04:48

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Hooboy. I don't even know where to begin...

So my manager decided working this morning was optional. Whatever. The first thing he says to me when he gets in, and it's been a bit, maybe 45 minutes, was to ask a question about an email I sent, basically in kind of a shitty "Um hello what is wrong with you" tone, about why did I only respond with a status on 2 invoices? Well, manager, that's because there WERE only two invoices. Yes, I see that the person wrote 3, but as there were only 2, I only responded for those two. Oh, but still in the morning, I got a phone call from one of our off-site personnel. "Can you help me, I need [x] information, and I have a call with [company] and it feels like nobody else cares about this except me." ... Ok, I get it, you're frustrated and venting. But it's not that nobody cares, it's that you're the only one who hasn't realized what an absurd ask this is, and how much of a time sink it's going to be, when we already have no time. Oh wait, and before all of this! I get in this morning, the first email I read? "Just an FYI, [client] really needs their invoices processed by year end, which their deadline is [whatever] so ours obviously has to be sooner" and blah blah blah. REALLY??? This is where my "December sneaks up on you" comment originated.

So I get home. Blah blah blah. Hop in the shower. Hear husband talking on the phone. Something about a coworker of his quitting? IDK I can't really hear over the water. I get out, he starts in, "Well today sure is a day!" Uh.... k.... why? Two people quitting from his work, one for reasons unknown to me, the other because he decided he "needs something to change." Well that sucks because now they're going to be even more understaffed oh and by the way person #2? Is on the management team, has been sitting in on management meetings for forever, and is leaving for their direct competitor. Yeah. Oh, and??? Yeah, husband's parents might be getting a divorce. What I got out of THAT was that FiL was out to dinner Saturday with some unknown person, who happens to be female, butt-dialed MiL during dinner, she overheard things, I dunno what things, but she thinks he's cheating on her now and wants a divorce. Oh, and apparently Christmas is cancelled. I'm assuming as a result of this. I went looking on her FB page, normally she does an "open house" the day of Christmas, puts on this whole spread, invites everybody to drop in for a few minutes or few hours, just to say hi, and she put up a post about it being cancelled this year.

Sorry. I just... really had to let that all out. lol

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#494 2017-12-05 23:09:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

So, I'm too tired to find out what GG means. Care to enlighten me? (At a guess, I'd go for Good Gaming.)

I'm going out for dinner with friends tonight. But I left a little surprise for Ivo this morning. As today is Sinterklaas, I put a box of Lego in his shoe.

Happy Sinterklaas (Day?), Sahi!!!!

May all your shoes be filled with Legos, and fun board games, and nice plants!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#495 2017-12-05 23:36:09

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Thank you! There was indeed Lego and a game and a book, and chocolate and speculaas. No plants, though. :) (Most of it I already got this weekend, but I gave Ivo another box of Lego yesterday. He didn't have any gift for me, but none was required or expected. And he will let me share his Lego.)

Scrollbearer

#496 2017-12-05 23:39:25

ylvs
Mantis

No, today is Nikolaus.

*giggles*

Gmaen Mint. Gonna go running again in a few minutes. Wish the sun was up already ...

#497 2017-12-06 01:10:42

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maybe in Belgium, in the Netherlands it was indeed yesterday.

Scrollbearer

#498 2017-12-06 01:11:16

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Oh wait, from the spelling I'm (belatedly) guessing you might be talking about Germany?

Scrollbearer

#499 2017-12-06 03:38:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Silly Netherlands celebrating Saint Nick on the wrong day (says the Swede who celebrates christmas on the 24th).

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#500 2017-12-06 03:41:02

Sahi
Mantis
Website

We're just giving the poor man a break on his actual birthday! ;)

Scrollbearer

Board footer