Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-21 12:51:07

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Re: QM - The (not so) stuffed turkey

My body is fighting off another cold again. My parents are both sick, so I guess it is only a matter of time until my body surrenders as well.

I managed to get another dermatologist appointment for a second opinion in two weeks. Let's see what this doctor says. Then I will decide which doctor will do the mini surgery, or if at all.

#27 2017-11-21 12:54:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*distributes hugs*

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#28 2017-11-21 13:17:29

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*yawns*

Couch gravity strikes again. After taking a hot shower, I am even more tired than before, now that everything feels all warm and cozy.

#29 2017-11-21 16:58:07

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Ugh. Just, ugh. Today was a fix-things day at work, which was unplanned and I was not prepared for. So I was pretty grumpy. And... yeah. Lots of fixing. I'm trying really hard not to ramble about it, because that's gonna be reallyyyyyy boring for probably everyone in here.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#30 2017-11-21 17:01:59

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

I'm afraid there's not that much to report. Lily and I were mostly hanging out, talking, watching Doctor Who and as noted above, buying new clothes for me. And the time in Linz was mostly spent talking along with a short trip to Magpie's Magical Nursery, where she was so gracious as to show us around :)

Well, that report is more info than I had before!

Glad you guys got to hang out. I really, really want to visit that nursery someday, myself. I'd like to visit all the European Smarchers, actually. I'm working very hard right now to make that happen.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#31 2017-11-21 19:56:41

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way
Mantis

Oh that would be amazing Firs!!

*huggles mint*

I'm learning how to swipe.... Also teaching my tablet Smarch lingo... It already understands huggles, which is quite an accomplishment...

Work is still stupid so won't waste words on it... Nearly lost my cool today with one team I work with a lot, they will no longer be supporting one of my main products (or more one of the products I specialize in) from the new year and they have thrown a pure temper tantrum and decided that the new team (who have not even been trained yet) should start doing all set ups from this week onward.... Basically putting a massively important business opportunity at risk as there is no way the new team can manage an urgent high profile build right now. So send a very angry (and very correct) email to my boss, my boss' boss and the head of our department demanding someone to please pinch ears, smack bottoms and get them to grow up already...

Scrollbearer

Author of the 777,777th post

"Sorry about your crap day, wish you libra-level dreams. ;o)"
~ Kenan

#32 2017-11-21 19:58:41

Mantis

*apologises for saying she wouldn't waste words on stupid work and then doing it anyway*

I wish I could switch off caring and feeling pride for work... Life would be so much easier without that...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#33 2017-11-21 20:01:46

Mantis

In other news, I'm ridiculously excited about owning an actual full size bin... I know it sounds mad, but having had a miniature size bin, barely enough to hold even one day's of rubbish, for years,this is actually exciting!!!

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#34 2017-11-21 20:21:34

Mantis

Oh... Also, thank you for your praise of my paint by numbers!! You made me blush...

Ad1tu: they are gorgeous nowadays... Last time for me was also around ten or something!

Firs: I soooo agree, it's what drew me to buy this one in the first place!!

I'm working my way towards getting my painting fingers back and then I'll try my hand at the non-numbered paintings and see if I can still do it...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#35 2017-11-21 21:16:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Libra-in-a-roundabout-way wrote:

Oh... Also, thank you for your praise of my paint by numbers!! You made me blush...

Firs: I soooo agree, it's what drew me to buy this one in the first place!!

It is just gorgeous, Libra. You need to do more of those. I'm not kidding. You have talent! I taught art classes for nine years (and will teach a single one again next year).

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#36 2017-11-21 21:31:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

I so, soo, want to visit Smarchers, Libra. I want to see your little cottage, and Sahi's garden, and Peter's building, and Rook's clown hospital, and Pandy's bus, and Marian's city, and Kia's doll, and Merenwen's guinea pigs, and Ad1tu's workplace, and everyone's everything. But.

When I was hired full-time in 2008, I signed a 10-month contract. The job was supposed to be summers off. That never happened because they changed it to a 12-month contract. I stupidly signed the new contract, thinking it could be modified later. It never, ever will. Ten years later, I feel a little scammed. Don't get me wrong; I'm grateful to be gainfully employed, and this job kept a decent roof over my head, but I feel like it was a bait-and-switch. And then the administration changed.

But finishing this degree will open so many more opportunities for me. Enough said.

I want the possibility of visiting Smarchers. But there's never time... or money. I want my summers off, and I want enough money that I don't have to worry. I am always worried. I worry so much that I am worried about it. I am a basket case, now, so worried about money and co-workers that it's consumed me. There's no safety net for me. If I lose my job, I lose my home.

Years ago, this job had so many cool side opportunities: additional contracts, ways to earn more money. But many of those opportunities have now dried up, the result of tightening of policies, and... stuff I'm reluctant to talk about in public, even on Smarch.

But if I can finish this thing. I will. I will go All The Places.

#37 2017-11-21 23:42:09

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Maen Mint! Huggles for all! *huggles*

Yeah, I know about the work not being fun part. But at least I only have to stick around until I have found something that I like. *is well aware of the luxury of that position*

Last night I woke around three thirty and didn't really get back to sleep due to one frustrating dream after another. I vaguely remember bits from at least three different dreams...

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#38 2017-11-22 03:07:21

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Ugh, exhausted now. Tricky problem that is very vague (seeming magic involved), manager trying to trick us into doing his job for him, and finding out that a team member had been assigned to our project without being told about it (no problem with that team member, just frustrated about manager).

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#39 2017-11-22 04:09:57

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Not looking forward to the meeting we have this afternoon. It is some kind of group feedback session. They asked us two weeks ago to fill in this feedback form about all of our colleagues. I didn't fill it in, as for me such things require a lot of time and energy (and out of the two weeks, I was absent for at least one of them). This morning my manager asked me again to fill it in (despite originally stating a deadline that was sometime last week), and when I told him that 'no, two hours is not enough', he told me that I could also just provide key words... Grrr. Dude it's coming up with the keywords that is hard! Making nice sentences out of them comes natural to me!

Scrollbearer

#40 2017-11-22 04:36:48

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves*

I want to smarch and reply to your posts, but everytime I think I have some spare minutes for that, somebody calls and interrupts me. Stupid work.

*leaves hugs for Firsfron and Libra, and everyone else who needs them right now*

#41 2017-11-22 04:43:54

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Hehe, well at least they keep you busy! *hands Merenwen a shiny sword to slay the work demons*

Scrollbearer

#42 2017-11-22 05:16:45

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

In other news, I'm ridiculously excited about owning an actual full size bin... I know it sounds mad, but having had a miniature size bin, barely enough to hold even one day's of rubbish, for years,this is actually exciting!!!

Hey, sometimes the small things just make you happy! And if you happen to decapitate someone from work and the head doesn't fit the bin, that would be really inconvenient.

"hitting the snooze button is totally an act of worship and not laziness"  -Magpie, slightly out of context

#43 2017-11-22 05:18:07

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

*hands Sahi and Merenwen Shields of Werk Deflection*

#44 2017-11-22 05:19:51

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron, I'd be delighted to host you in Europe and I am sure we will somehow manage to moot in such a way that you can meet most of the EU Smarchers, even if you can't visit them all in one trip :) .

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for your degree and potential jobs enabled by said degree!

#45 2017-11-22 05:37:30

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

I'm sure all your hard work will pay out, Firs *huggles*

the operations department is driving me crazy - their way of 'working' is almost 'work refusal'. I'm so angry I could scream! It is a good thing we got a nice birthday brunch from one of my colleauges today - this way I can eat cake while murdering the operations guys in my fantasy.

#46 2017-11-22 06:22:13

Mantis

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I so, soo, want to visit Smarchers, Libra. I want to see your little cottage, and Sahi's garden, and Peter's building, and Rook's clown hospital, and Pandy's bus, and Marian's city, and Kia's doll, and Merenwen's guinea pigs, and Ad1tu's workplace, and everyone's everything. But.

When I was hired full-time in 2008, I signed a 10-month contract. The job was supposed to be summers off. That never happened because they changed it to a 12-month contract. I stupidly signed the new contract, thinking it could be modified later. It never, ever will. Ten years later, I feel a little scammed. Don't get me wrong; I'm grateful to be gainfully employed, and this job kept a decent roof over my head, but I feel like it was a bait-and-switch. And then the administration changed.

But finishing this degree will open so many more opportunities for me. Enough said.

I want the possibility of visiting Smarchers. But there's never time... or money. I want my summers off, and I want enough money that I don't have to worry. I am always worried. I worry so much that I am worried about it. I am a basket case, now, so worried about money and co-workers that it's consumed me. There's no safety net for me. If I lose my job, I lose my home.

Years ago, this job had so many cool side opportunities: additional contracts, ways to earn more money. But many of those opportunities have now dried up, the result of tightening of policies, and... stuff I'm reluctant to talk about in public, even on Smarch.

But if I can finish this thing. I will. I will go All The Places.

Oh Firs, I sooo understand that whole thing, the constant worry about money, about work, about everything....  The being stuck in a job, even if you do like the people and the work, but the company changing and it being shut and wanting something else.... The wanting time and money to spend on seeing people.... Feeling guilty if you buy something for yourself or a trip because you know it will come back to haunt you later....

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#47 2017-11-22 06:27:21

Mantis

Peter wrote:

Hey, sometimes the small things just make you happy! And if you happen to decapitate someone from work and the head doesn't fit the bin, that would be really inconvenient.

Lol... Hahaha... It would indeed!!

I'm usually quite pleased with small things... Even as a child... My mum used to always tell me this story about asking me what I wanted for my birthday and I asked for a colouring book... And she said I could ask for a bigger present... And I asked for a big colouring book...

Scrollbearer

~ Kenan

#48 2017-11-22 07:10:29

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Was at work for 15 minutes before I found a big problem :( Big problem is that I cannot access the online work order portal, which is a problem, as this is necessary for me to process invoices. But... everybody else can... so... I confussed.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#49 2017-11-22 07:23:20

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Merenwen wrote:

*waves*

I want to smarch and reply to your posts, but everytime I think I have some spare minutes for that, somebody calls and interrupts me. Stupid work.

*nodnodnod* This sounds familiar...

*leaves hugs for Firsfron and Libra, and everyone else who needs them right now*

I will take those hugs!!! Thanks!

#50 2017-11-22 07:27:21

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Firsfron, I'd be delighted to host you in Europe and I am sure we will somehow manage to moot in such a way that you can meet most of the EU Smarchers, even if you can't visit them all in one trip :) .

So I'll keep my fingers crossed for your degree and potential jobs enabled by said degree!

Thanks Peter! A Smarch trip to Europe sounds amazing, and I'm using the idea to help motivate me through square meters of work. (They were acres, but I did the conversion)!

Board footer