Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#26 2017-11-09 21:21:47

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Re: Otherworld by Jason Segel

I left reviews on Goodreads and Amazon.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#27 2017-11-10 07:29:06

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Pandy wrote:

PANDY!

*jumps into Pandy's arms*

Pandy! *tackles*

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#28 2017-11-13 09:21:37

Pandy
Pilgrim

Ad1tu wrote:

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Pandy wrote:

PANDY!

*jumps into Pandy's arms*

Pandy! *tackles*

Someone check to see if I hurt Ron when I dropped him to catch myself.

Hey there Ad1tu. Sorry I've been absent.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
"I think Pandiqegabenikananoomookmannaq sounds even better." -Firs
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#29 2017-11-13 13:16:00

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Nope, not hurt! I landed in a pile of pineapples!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#30 2017-11-27 20:09:09

Pretzalz
Pilgrim

Just to be clear. Has anyone actually read it? Are there plot similarities beyond VR and 'other' in the title? 'Other' is a fairly common english word. Remember the Others in ASOIAF had to be changed to White Walkers for the TV show because of Lost despite the books predating Lost. Quest through multiple different worlds is certainly similar, but I'm not sure how natural that is to writing a VR story. People in comas actually seems more similar to Lock In than Otherland. It is a little telling that some of the reviews compare it to other books than Otherland. What about the San Junipero episode of Black Mirror?

Jane: Ohh, you are trying to deal with your loneliness by surrounding yourself with friends, hmm, how's that going to work?

#31 2017-11-30 14:42:48

Pandy
Pilgrim

https://www.amazon.com/Otherworld-Jason … 1101939338

If you read the in depth reviews, it certainly smacks of derivativeness to me. Especially since the main character is named Simon.

A heroes journey in a VR world to save comatose people, and the VR inhabitants think they are real. 

Hmm.

And those that have read it don't think it's very good, either.

"This is what education does to you. It makes you look forward to cleaning." -Magpie
Pandy! I found a pop can in the fridge here at work that is a bit dented, has some gunk on the side, and wobbles a bit when you poke it. Thought of you. :) - Ad1tu

#32 2017-11-30 17:16:13

Maladroit
Pilgrim

Pandyman!!!!!

*tries to duct tape Pandy to Smarch*

*realizes we used all the duct tape *on* Smarch after Smarch went missing this week*

*looks for super glue*

this will only sting a little, Pandy.

Hold still, willya?!?!

#33 2017-11-30 22:17:57

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Maladroit wrote:

Pandyman!!!!!

*tries to duct tape Pandy to Smarch*

*realizes we used all the duct tape *on* Smarch after Smarch went missing this week*

*looks for super glue*

this will only sting a little, Pandy.

Hold still, willya?!?!

Already a better story than Otherworld by Jason Segel.

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#34 2017-12-01 19:24:52

Maladroit
Pilgrim

Kenan wrote:

That will be $.25 please.

#35 2017-12-01 20:44:02

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Maladroit wrote:

Kenan wrote:

That will be $.25 please.

Where do we send the checks?

#36 2017-12-02 09:27:22

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Seriously, though, has anyone read it, or previewed it? The only case that would be truly in the wrong is if he used the Otherland manuscript and only changed names and nouns. (That has been known to happen.)

If it's about a guy who finds out about a VR conspiracy, so what??? By that measure, The Matrix was a rip-off. This isn't how plagiarism is defined, though, or the entire fantasy genre wouldn't exist. You couldn't have books with any elves hunting wizards. Game of Thrones would certainly be in trouble.

And you couldn't have a book about people going to Mars, or pretty much any romance novel 

It's kind of mean to leave 1 star reviews for something you haven't read, based on the concept. If this guy actually wrote whole book, whether the concept was derivative or not, that's a lot of work.

And it's really hypocritical to promote "continuing the conversation" with GoT, but to beat up this unknown guy for the same thing. Can we not be bullies?

Last edited by Marian (2017-12-02 09:36:59)

#37 2017-12-02 09:29:01

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Pandy wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/Otherworld-Jason-Segel/dp/1101939338

A heroes journey in a VR world to save comatose people, and the VR inhabitants think they are real.

At the risk of belaboring my point, isn't that The Matrix?

#38 2017-12-02 09:42:48

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Ok, I just did the "look inside" on Amazon, and it's obviously a very different book. The way Otherworld started, how it's accessed, and the tone of the story are all different.

Please stop calling it plagiarism. Someone worked hard to write a book, and whether you like it or not, it isn't plagiarism. And possibly not even a rip-off of Tad, since I have seen a few reviews that call it Ready Player One fanfic.

#39 2017-12-02 10:32:55

ylvs
Mantis

Calling Jason Segel this unknown guy is kinda funny.

#40 2017-12-02 15:39:29

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Oh, wow! That IS funny. I honestly had no idea it was the same person. I like him a LOT. Even though knowing that would have certainly biased me in his favor, as he is one of the nicest men in Hollywood,#  it doesn't change how I feel about unfairly ganging up on him. (Even if he's famous, he's still a relatively new author.)

In fact, I'm interested in reading the rest of the book now... I'll report back if I do.

#41 2017-12-04 07:20:23

Pandy
Pilgrim

Something about your post, asking us meanies to stop beating up poor Jason Segel set my teeth on edge.  I feel WAY more pity for Kristen Miller than Mr. Segel.  With that said -

I am not talking about Plagiarism here, I am talking about defending a trademark.  Tad has licensed his idea for a multitude of cross genre usage.  Mr. Segel is known to work in different formats.  There was discussion that Mr. Segel's book was already in talks to be produced as a show, or a possibly videogame.  That is where I stumbled across it, on io9.

Now, instead of beating up a writer for producing a novel idea in a tireless tread, we talk about the much murkier concept of trademark infringement over plagiarism. Hell, there are only so many types of stories. It's how you arrange the words around them that matter.  No, what really burns my biscuits here is the idea that a derivative work can confuse future consumers.

I have no pity for Mr. Segel, new author or not.  I have some admiration with him for teaming up with Kristen Miller, whose relationship or ability in writing I have no idea about. Could she be the work horse behind his books, filling in the words when he drops ideas?  Or is she the idea person, and he's the tradesmen pointing up the brick work with the words?  I don't know.

But I am not being a bully, I am looking at this as a business person might, someone who would love to see HBO or STARZ or whomever take some of Tad's mighty prose and turn it into televised joy.  But you know what?  Jason Segel is such a nice guy, maybe his book would be better to do. 

Besides, like you said, it's the same thing, so why bother with the details?

#42 2017-12-04 12:02:47

Marian
Pilgrim
Website

Goodreads and Amazon reviews aren't appropriate places to air your concerns about trademark infringement.

#43 2017-12-04 13:45:51

Magpie
Mantis
Website

I feel uncomfortable with that as well, Marian.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

Board footer