Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#1 2017-11-04 13:47:20

Olaf
Mantis
Website

New Lord of the Rings TV show may be coming soon...

This seems real

Really…

My reaction…yes…it is too soon, but still I want to see Tom Bombadil and the Scouring of the Shire on the screen.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#2 2017-11-04 14:15:26

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Re: New Lord of the Rings TV show may be coming soon...

Saw this on my facebook. Wouldn't mind it! It's not too soon after the films... not for me anyway!

Wouldn't the plural form of Olaf be Olaves? ;) - Firsfron of Ronchester

#3 2017-11-04 16:20:39

ylvs
Mantis

There are so many fine stories out there. Why rehash one that was perfectly fine already?
Unnecessary.
I would muchly prefer Otherland or Illium/Olympos or something else entirely.

#4 2017-11-04 21:05:42

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

For me the LOTR films would be quite a challenge to top. And likely not possible with a TV budget. Still, the scenes Olaf mentioned (Bombadil/Goldberry, and the Scouring of the Shire) would be nice to finally see.

I really think, though, that they are missing the mark. If a Tolkien property must be aired, why not adapt The Silmarillion to TV? I think the story structure would lend itself to the TV medium: characters come and go throughout the book, just as they would on television.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#5 2017-11-05 00:59:11

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Some more thoughts about this and this is purely my speculation:

It seems that the lawsuit the Tolkien estate and Tolkien´s publisher HarperCollins have fought against Warner Bros has been settled quietly sometime in the summer. The fact they are shopping a new LOTR tv series to networks so shortly afterwards, suggests to me that this tv show was somehow part of the settlement between them. It is no secret that the estate did not like the movies.

I would love to see this happen, if they can really make it both more faithful to the books and at the same time different enough from the Jackson movies.

I also find it interesting that the story broke now, because the tv show has been quietly shopped for some time now (with HBO and Netflix already passing on the series). This suggests that either the deal is about to fall through and Warner wants publicity to change Amazon´s mind (which won´t be working I think, since initial reaction is rather lukewarm at best) or the deal is about to be finalized and we will have a formal press release soon..again my speculation.

The initial reaction I have seen so far regarding this announcement reminds me a lot of the initial reaction to Star Trek: Discovery.

Scrollbearer

Writing books, especially long books, is a careful balance between laziness and masochism.
Tad Williams

#6 2017-11-05 01:42:30

ylvs
Mantis

My initial reaction to Star Trek: Discovery was Yay, new Star Trek!
My initial reaction to this: Yawn.

Imho Werthead says it best in this twitter thread.

#7 2017-11-05 01:05:33

Olaf
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

My initial reaction to Star Trek: Discovery was Yay, new Star Trek!
My initial reaction to this: Yawn.

Imho Werthead says it best in this twitter thread.

Yes, I understand where you are coming from and also Werthead raises valid points. BUT I think it is a bit too early in the process to dismiss this out of hand. Many, many fans also dismissed ST: Discovery (oh…no..not another prequel….prequels are always a bad idea), but many have also now turned around after they have actually seen the show.

This might turn into a bad show or a good show, but right now we cannot know. As for original stuff: never in the history of scripted tv have there been so many shows to watch that are actually good and some even ground-breaking and more diverse than ever. I do not mind reboots if they are done well. The new Battlestar Galactica is way better than the original show, for example. Maybe they can surprise us all and tell the story in a new way none of us are anticipating right now. LOTR has been adapted into many, many mediums already (animated movies, movies, radio dramas, audio books, a lot of rpgs and board games, a myriad of merchandise) it will survive another adaptation, because obviously it is a story the people want to hear over and over again.

I agree with Werthead, however, on one thing: if this goes forward, it will be very difficult for any other high fantasy show to be made. Not only Wheel of Time, but also Osten Ard.

One other point: if this goes forward and is successful, I think it will be inevitable that we´ll see other reboots too, like a Harry Potter reboot (also owned by Warner Bros). Currently they are busy with the Fantastic Beasts movies, but once they are done, they might be ready to reboot HP too. I don´t think Rowling would have a problem with that since she licensed her other books all to tv rather than a movie studio. And I doubt that was for lack of interest.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#8 2017-11-05 01:13:24

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Things I would be excited to see in a reboot:

- Tom Bombadil
- The Scouring of the Shire
- Denethor handled better as a character
- a better handling of the Faramir storyline
- no fake death for Aragorn
- Helm´s Horn that actually sounds intimidating
- restore Glorfindel to the story
- don´t try to turn Arwen into a warrior princess
- a better handling of Galadriel, especially when she uses the power of her ring.

and probably other moments, I don´t remember right now.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#9 2017-11-05 02:01:16

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I don't think we'll ever see the Silmarillion on screen. Can you imagine watching a story that takes place over thousands of years? IMO, not gonna happen. Also, I think only fairly hardcore fans actually like the Silmarillion. Admittedly there's quite a few of us.
Now there are plenty of stories in the Silm that would work great on their own, e.g. Beren and Luthien, Turin and Nienor. But I don't think the wider audience would feel like they were "LOTR" stories since they won't recognise the cast. So I'm not sure they could make those work either.
If there's anything that would work (as a LOTR-prequel) it is probably a re-written story on how Sauron got the ring to rule them all.

#10 2017-11-05 05:43:03

ylvs
Mantis

I liked that Faramir had character development in the films where as in the book he is a good guy at the beginning, keeps being good and then is good in the end ... bit boring.

What I would like to see in a series is The Houses Of Healing done properly.

Olaf wrote:

I agree with Werthead, however, on one thing: if this goes forward, it will be very difficult for any other high fantasy show to be made. Not only Wheel of Time, but also Osten Ard.

MY POINT EXACTLY. I WANT NEW STORIES NOT MORE OF THE SAME!

#11 2017-11-05 06:03:01

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Assuming we're talking about classic medieval-like high fantasy, which fantasy book-to-tv series did we already get?
Game of Thrones, Sword of Truth, Shannara...? I didn't watch the latter, nor read.
And there's some options out there, LOTR, Kingkiller Chronicles, and it sounded like WOT was on the way some years ago. You remember this, right?

#12 2017-11-05 06:03:55

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

I'm also throwing this out there, the Belgariad+Mallorean would make a great YA tv-show.

#13 2017-11-05 07:08:42

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

Assuming we're talking about classic medieval-like high fantasy, which fantasy book-to-tv series did we already get?
Game of Thrones, Sword of Truth, Shannara...? I didn't watch the latter, nor read.
And there's some options out there, LOTR, Kingkiller Chronicles, and it sounded like WOT was on the way some years ago. You remember this, right?

WOT has not yet found a network. There was a King Arthur show called CAMELOT that had its debut next to GAME OF THRONES. It tanked and was quickly cancelled.

There is also a new HIS DARK MATERIALS reboot in the works at the BBC.

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#14 2017-11-05 07:25:27

Kenan
Pilgrim
Website

Right, I remember the Camelot series was coming... never watched it though.

#15 2017-11-05 07:36:30

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Kenan wrote:

How could we forget? The lines "Iliana!!!! Iliannnnnaaa!!!" are burned into my brain.

WOT could be done, but I'd much rather see Osten Ard.

I sure hope they don't pick another unfinished series for the Next Big Thing.

Kenan wrote:

I'm also throwing this out there, the Belgariad+Mallorean would make a great YA tv-show.

I barely remember those books,but I would give a TV show a try.

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#16 2017-11-05 08:04:12

ylvs
Mantis

AfaIk The Kingkiller Chrinicles are in preproduction. Hope thwarthed, Firs ...

#17 2017-11-05 08:04:39

Olaf
Mantis
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

I sure hope they don't pick another unfinished series for the Next Big Thing.

They already have: The Kingkiller Chronicles

Scrollbearer

Tad Williams

#18 2017-11-05 08:11:54

ylvs
Mantis

Perfect hive mind!

*high-fives Olaf*

It's gonna be on showtime: http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/lin-manu … _medium=s1

#19 2017-11-05 08:41:35

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

ylvs wrote:

AfaIk The Kingkiller Chrinicles are in preproduction. Hope thwarthed, Firs ...

Olaf wrote:

They already have: The Kingkiller Chronicles

Oh. Well, then.

#20 2017-11-05 10:04:53

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

I really think, though, that they are missing the mark. If a Tolkien property must be aired, why not adapt The Silmarillion to TV? I think the story structure would lend itself to the TV medium: characters come and go throughout the book, just as they would on television.

I think I remember seeing something that Jackson wanted to make a Silmarillion movie... Which is not something I would prefer.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#21 2017-11-05 10:42:36

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

I think I remember seeing something that Jackson wanted to make a Silmarillion movie... Which is not something I would prefer.

No Peter Jackson. He ruined The Hobbit.

#22 2017-11-05 11:05:46

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

Totally agree. If you watch on YouTube the series of "The Making" of The Hobbit, it's incredible how often they were behind or barely on schedule, and scrambling to get things done. I think that contributed a lot. IIRC, he mentioned having to do major re-writes in a hurry.

If you should do what makes you happy, and no one can tell you what makes you happy, then that means no one can tell you what to do!

Tamishu's Ramblings

#23 2017-11-05 11:45:46

Ad1tu
Pilgrim

There's an article up on TORn that goes into a bit of history about the television rights to LotR.

Also of note, at the end of the article...

In an article that also came out yesterday, Nellie Andreeva at Deadline Hollywood has heard that HBO has dropped out of the running almost certainly because of the hefty price tag: upfront payments in the range of $200 – $250 million just for the rights to then produce a series that could cost up to $150 million per season.

Based on a quick Google, GoT episodes have jumped up to $10 million per episode, and Stranger Things ran up to $8 million per episode in season 2. So... unless they're looking at full length seasons (18-22 episodes) this is looking like yet another ridiculously expensive tv show. For reference, it seems like a lot of cable shows run in the $3-6 million per episode range, and broadcast shows $1-3 million. My mind had just been utterly blown at how expensive it is to make tv shows...

Tamishu's Ramblings

#24 2017-11-05 19:14:18

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Ad1tu wrote:

Totally agree. If you watch on YouTube the series of "The Making" of The Hobbit, it's incredible how often they were behind or barely on schedule, and scrambling to get things done. I think that contributed a lot. IIRC, he mentioned having to do major re-writes in a hurry.

They could have stayed closer to the source material, avoided so many re-writes, and ended up with a better product. Orcs trying to break through roofs instead of windows? Dwarves crawling through toilets? Does any of this make any sense?!

#25 2017-11-06 14:56:53

Jeremy_Erman
Pilgrim

They can't adapt the Silmarillion. The rights aren't available.

Board footer