Tad Williams' Message Board

Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies -- 'God damn it, you've got to be kind.'
-    Kurt Vonnegut, 1922-2007

Welcome to the message board for tadwilliams.com. All comments are welcome, whether kudos or brickbats. However, please bear in mind that Tad would like this to be a friendly, civil message board, at least in the relations between users. We reserve the right to remove postings, or even ban postings, from anyone who crosses the boundary of reasonable taste. Basically, you can argue vigorously with someone, but watch your language, okay? We have a lot of young readers as well as grown-ups, so please show them some respect.

But the main requirement here is: have fun.

You are not logged in.

#51 2017-11-01 12:28:34

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Re: QM - The Haunted Mint

Hey Kia :)

Fortunately I was not assailed by kids. Never happened here, but I usually have some emergency candy around. Yet I forgot this year. I was actually shoppign for it and then bought everything but candy. Good for my stomach, I guess :D

May the birds who shelter in your branches never poop on the innocent. -Tad

#52 2017-11-01 12:29:02

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Doing NaNo again this year?

#53 2017-11-01 12:50:40

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*waves to Peter*
I think the kids are cute - the costumes get better every year. A few years ago I did actually host a halloween party. But most of the guest didn't want to dress up. Oh my. Maybe we should host a smarch-costume party one day. We could dress up as characters from Tad books and call it cosplay :-)

our office is the official 'halloween-leftover-digestion unit' so everyone brings all what wasn't looted so others would eat it. Needless to say, we oblige :-) Bad for the stomage...and for my weight ;D

NaNo? *blinks unintelligibly*

#54 2017-11-01 13:04:50

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). Lots of crazed people try to write a novel at least 50k words in length (that's roughly 1/10th of To Green Angel Tower). I am not one of them. I just watch in horror and fascination as they curse at their muses.

#55 2017-11-01 13:05:38

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

As for costumes... I... uh... I could go as a grumpy old man? Or a shy nerd? I guess I could do Barrick, I'd just need a sling for my hand or something :p

#56 2017-11-01 13:07:23

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

great - now my muse is cowering in fear under the couch. Don't expect new fanart anytime soon *tries to lure the muse with a chocolate bar*

#57 2017-11-01 13:08:24

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Doing NaNo again this year?

Trying to, anyway.

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#58 2017-11-01 13:17:41

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Peter wrote:

As for costumes... I... uh... I could go as a grumpy old man? Or a shy nerd? I guess I could do Barrick, I'd just need a sling for my hand or something :p

that's the spirit ;P

#59 2017-11-01 13:51:19

Sahi
Mantis
Website

No trick or treat here. Kids over here come on November 11, with lanterns, singing songs. I prefer to keep our own traditions rather than importing them. Although for all the regions where they don't do Sint Maarten, I wholeheartedly suggest they take up either one of the traditions. (What is more fun for kids than going round the neighborhood to collect candy?)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#60 2017-11-01 13:52:03

Sahi
Mantis
Website

Careful, Peter, I might just make you a Waldorf or Stattler costume! ;)

"Because it is scientifically impossible to have enough books." - Patrick Rothfuss

Scrollbearer
First member of the Shadowmarch Council of Sages, Official Quiller's Mint Historian
You may call me the Porcupine Lady, or if you are feeling generous the Erinaceous One.

#61 2017-11-01 13:56:26

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Sahi wrote:

Hahahaha! Now that's a funny image!

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#62 2017-11-01 14:00:54

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Firsfron of Ronchester wrote:

Sahi wrote:

Waldorf? Stattler? I am confused. Google isn't much help either.

#63 2017-11-01 14:01:29

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Kia wrote:

Peter wrote:

that's the spirit ;P

I am taking a page from the Flupi book of (actually not) dressing up.

#64 2017-11-01 14:06:50

Firsfron of Ronchester
Mantis
Website

Peter wrote:

Sahi wrote:

These grumpy guys. They don't have the Muppets in Austria?

Scrollbearer, Keeper of the Firsfronicon, Message Board Poet Lariat and Guardian of the Wild Range.
Co-titan of fact-checking and priceless source of Osten-Ard-iana
Now-official Osten Ard consultant for Tad Williams

Ommu is horrifying; Akhenabi is f**king evil; Makho is Trump with a badass sword; Jijibo is the crackhead version of Towser.  And Saomeji is creepy. --Cyan

#65 2017-11-01 14:09:50

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

Sahi wrote:

No trick or treat here. Kids over here come on November 11, with lanterns, singing songs. I prefer to keep our own traditions rather than importing them. Although for all the regions where they don't do Sint Maarten, I wholeheartedly suggest they take up either one of the traditions. (What is more fun for kids than going round the neighborhood to collect candy?)

In fact, St. Martin is done over here too. But the kids just walk outside with their laterns - no candy collectiong involved. If I remember correctly, it was like this even when I was a kid (so waaaaayyyy before Halloween became popular). So Halloween filled this 'CANDY!' void :-)

Peter wrote:

Sahi wrote:

oh, I'm glad to help out here *snickers*

#66 2017-11-01 14:19:44

Merenwen
Pilgrim

Peter wrote:

*waves back back*

Not doing anything special, really. Not doing much at all. I just had some more sleep and am feeling better now, though I may regret this when trying to sleep tonight.

Bit bored, really. I have not gotten into a fresh game, or clawed my way back into the games I already started. Books don't seem to do much for me either at the moment and movies only work some of the time.

I can relate to that to some degree. It doesn't matter if it is movies, books or games, it gets harder to find new stuff that is really good, something that you really want to engage in and that makes you feel excited. I still have some of those, Dark Souls is the latest example, and I am happy to be still able to fangirl over stuff, but a lot of new stuff is just not appealing. Most of the time you get the same stories, narratives and cliches over and over again and I find myself returning to my old favorites.

Ok, a lot of babbling. I assume it is not just the lack of good games and movies and books for you. I often feel bored as well when I do and see the same thing over and over again in my free time, even though I love what I do. But the lack of alternatives and people with whom I can talk or do domething with also make me feel lonely very often.

I hope the upcoming mini-moot can cheer you up a bit. :)

*hugs*

Last edited by Merenwen (2017-11-01 14:27:23)

#67 2017-11-01 14:22:46

Merenwen
Pilgrim

No cute Halloween kids here, either. But I guess they are just smart enough not to go into my district when it is dark. ;)

#68 2017-11-01 14:24:22

Merenwen
Pilgrim

As to the costume party, I would prefer something without much effort for me. A bukken or something. ;)

#69 2017-11-01 14:27:05

Magpie
Mantis
Website

Sooo torn - want to write more, want to Smarch more, but also want to go to bed with LG...

Basically, I'm Prince Josua in jeans and sneakers, or a different flavor of Renie Sulaweyo.
- Tad

Master of Gardening, Mistress of Kingdom Plantae, Defender of the Seedlings, Guardian of Root and Bough
Scrollbearer and offerer of some very useful opinions

#70 2017-11-01 14:52:05

Kia
Pilgrim
Website

*spent the last 30 minutes to browse muppets clips* *snickers*

sleeping sounds like a good plan *waves goodnight*

#71 2017-11-01 15:04:50

Merenwen
Pilgrim

*waves good night*

Not that I would follow your example and be a reasonable human being for once. No, I will go to bed far too late again, to make sure I am all dead and tired at work tomorrow. *nods*

#72 2017-11-01 15:07:59

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

These grumpy guys. They don't have the Muppets in Austria?

Ah. Did not know their names. Also one was misspelled, making Google harder. I did watch the muppets when I was young, but that was like a billion years ago :D . Yeah, I think I can go as one of those!

#73 2017-11-01 15:12:25

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Sleep well, Kia!

We do celebrate St. Martins Day here as well, both with lanterns and with food. No candy for kids though, but a roast goose. I don't care about the lanterns, but I love eating those big birds... geese and ducks especially.

#74 2017-11-01 15:12:58

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Not that I would follow your example and be a reasonable human being for once. No, I will go to bed far too late again, to make sure I am all dead and tired at work tomorrow. *nods*

Sounds entirely reasonable to me! And if not reasonable, at least relatable :D

#75 2017-11-01 15:39:09

Peter
Pilgrim
Website

Merenwen wrote:

Ok, a lot of babbling. I assume it is not just the lack of good games and movies and books for you. I often feel bored as well when I do and see the same thing over and over again in my free time, even though I love what I do. But the lack of alternatives and people with whom I can talk or do domething with also make me feel lonely very often.

For me it's a lot about getting into things or starting something new. Sometimes it is hard for me to just start something. I know there's plenty of games waiting for me, but somehow I end up surfing the web or playing FreeCell on my phone (well, I mostly do that instead of sleeping).

The second phase, once I picked something up, is to get into it. Often enough, something new takes a bit of work to get into and there's a risk I will put it down for a bit and not resume. If I drop something for too long, it'll be back to stage 1 and I'll have to motivate myself again just to start.

Books and some types of games are especially hard to get into. But movies and shows can suffer from the same problem. I totally love Agents of Shield, but there is one episode full of embarassing moments and I stopped there. Haven't gotten back to it in months.

Board footer